Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

fawning deference posted:

Did you read my post about Duchesne in the SAS draft because I wouldn't expect anyone to just guess him. If you did, congrats! Duchesne had 5 once.

lol, I am surprised. Duchesne actually popped into my mind first when I read the question. He comes to mind maybe from playing too many Sporcle quizzes, as a guy no one really remembers, but actually had great career totals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Good guess but it's not Letang.

Brent Burns? Cale Makar?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

The player remaining is one of the most underrated players ever imo. Not active.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

ThinkTank posted:

Brent Burns? Cale Makar?

Nope.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Mark Howe?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

WeaponX posted:

Mark Howe?

Ding ding ding

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The player remaining is one of the most underrated players ever imo. Not active.

But relatively recently retired? Chelios?

Ah Howe makes sense. I got thrown off by being told Letang was a good guess when I said someone modern maybe. My next guess was gonna be Sheldon Souray.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 16, 2022

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Who is the only active NHL defenseman with 10+ career SHG?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

Who is the only active NHL defenseman with 10+ career SHG?

Duncan Keith? Zdeno Chara?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

It's gotta be someone who's played forever?

Giordano?? He had that one year with 3 or 4

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Letang? Byfuglilen? Seabrook?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Ryan Suter? Brent Burns? Not sure if Burns even pks normally but surely he's scored a few if he does

Otherwise Letang/Chara/Gio all seem most likely

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
giordano or karlsson?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
It's Giordano, with 12. Chara had 8, Keith had 5, and nine active Dmen have 4 total. Gio had four in one season, McDonagh had three another year, and other active defenseman has scored more than two SHGs in a season.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

Letang? Byfuglilen? Seabrook?

I always think of Buff when these shorthanded goals by D questions come around, and I was really surprised to find out he only has 1 career shorthanded goal.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Zodijackylite posted:

It's Giordano, with 12. Chara had 8, Keith had 5, and nine active Dmen have 4 total. Gio had four in one season, McDonagh had three another year, and other active defenseman has scored more than two SHGs in a season.

I keep coming back to this question and I am really stumped. Is it someone like Doughty?

Also, how the hell did Giordano score so many SHG?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Twin Cinema posted:

I keep coming back to this question and I am really stumped. Is it someone like Doughty?

Also, how the hell did Giordano score so many SHG?

No, the answer is Mark Giordano, who is still an active player and signed a multi-year deal with the Leafs this offseason, which it's understandable if you've blocked out of your mind.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

If the answer is Gio, you already told us that in the question!

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Since the 1996-97 season, 22 players have scored 50 goals in a season a total of 40 times.

Name them!

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Jagr
Ovie
Draisaitl
Matthews
P. Kane
Cheechoo
Kovalchuk
Crosby
Malkin
Stamkos
Heatley
Bure
Selanne
Perry
Hejduk

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Leclair is on there

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Twin Cinema posted:

Jagr
Ovie
Draisaitl
Matthews
P. Kane
Cheechoo
Kovalchuk
Crosby
Malkin
Stamkos
Heatley
Bure
Selanne
Perry
Hejduk

Iginla
Sakic
Shanahan?
Keith Tkachuk?

Can't think of any others off the top of my head

e: Did Naslund do it? I feel like he came close but I thought he had mid 40s and didnt quite hit 50. I think Gionta also came close but didn't quite get there. Ditto Parise

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 8, 2022

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

mssr. Lecavalier

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Yeah Naslund had 48, Gionta 48, Parise 45

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Bondra?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Sakic

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Palffy?
Did Lemieux do it in 97?

Spring Break My Heart fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 8, 2022

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Bondea def did it in my mind. Palffy career high is 48

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I see we're already memory holing the fact that Kreider did it just last year.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Twin Cinema posted:

Jagr
Ovie
Draisaitl
Matthews
P. Kane
Cheechoo
Kovalchuk
Crosby
Malkin
Stamkos
Heatley
Bure
Selanne
Perry
Hejduk

Correct on all but Patrick Kane, whose career high is 46.

corn on the cop posted:

Leclair is on there

Correct.

Ginette Reno posted:

Iginla
Sakic
Shanahan?
Keith Tkachuk?

Can't think of any others off the top of my head

e: Did Naslund do it? I feel like he came close but I thought he had mid 40s and didnt quite hit 50. I think Gionta also came close but didn't quite get there. Ditto Parise

Iginla scored 50 in 07-08
Sakic scored 54 in 00-01
Shanahan has back-to-back 51/52 seasons in 92-93 and 93-94 but peaked at 47 during this time period, when he scored 46 for the Red Wings and 1 for the Whalers in 96-97.
Tkachuk scored 50 in 96-97

Naslund had 48 in 02-03 but never hit 50. He managed 104 points that season, though.

The Golden Man posted:

mssr. Lecavalier

Correct: 52 in 06-07

Correct, this is one of the harder ones, but he scored 52 goals and 26 assists for the Caps in 97-98.

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Palffy?
Did Lemieux do it in 97?

He came close, with 48 in 96-97, but never hit 50.

Super Mario did in fact score 50 goals and 72 assists in 96-97. Good call on the year!

ThinkTank posted:

I see we're already memory holing the fact that Kreider did it just last year.

As a Rangers fan, my duty is to let you never forget.

That's all 22:

-Peter Bondra
-Pavel Bure
-Jonathan Cheechoo
-Sidney Crosby
-Leon Draisaitl
-Dany Heatley
-Milan Hejduk
-Jarome Iginla
-Jaromir Jagr
-Ilya Kovalchuk
-Chris Kreider
-Vincent Lecavalier
-John LeClair
-Mario Lemieux
-Evgeni Malkin
-Auston Matthews
-Alex Ovechkin
-Corey Perry
-Joe Sakic
-Teemu Selanne
-Steven Stamkos
-Keith Tkachuk

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

More trivia! These are going to be very hard so I'd like to hear your reasoning and/or why you remember it.

1. Who is the only defenseman to score five goals in one game? February 2, 1977 for the Leafs.
2. Who is the only player to score five goals in a game in which his team did not win? April 1, 1995 for the Jets.
3. Who is the last player to score six goals in a game? February 7, 1976 for the Leafs. What other record did he set in that game?
4. Who are the only two players to score five goals in one game TWICE in one season? One did it twice, with three five goal games in one season and twice two seasons later.
5. Who was the first player to score five goals in one game for an American team? A hall-of-famer did it on February 3, 1944 but he isn't even the most famous player with his surname for this team.
6. Who was the last player to score five goals in one playoff game? April 25, 1989.
7. Name the four active players to score give goals in one game. This one's pretty easy.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

This will probably be a quick answer, but who is the only player from France to win the Cup?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Zodijackylite posted:

More trivia! These are going to be very hard so I'd like to hear your reasoning and/or why you remember it.

1. Who is the only defenseman to score five goals in one game? February 2, 1977 for the Leafs.
2. Who is the only player to score five goals in a game in which his team did not win? April 1, 1995 for the Jets.
3. Who is the last player to score six goals in a game? February 7, 1976 for the Leafs. What other record did he set in that game?
4. Who are the only two players to score five goals in one game TWICE in one season? One did it twice, with three five goal games in one season and twice two seasons later.
5. Who was the first player to score five goals in one game for an American team? A hall-of-famer did it on February 3, 1944 but he isn't even the most famous player with his surname for this team.
6. Who was the last player to score five goals in one playoff game? April 25, 1989.
7. Name the four active players to score give goals in one game. This one's pretty easy.

1. This feels too easy to pick Borje Salming, so I am going to guess Ian Turnbull. He was a goal scorer, and the only other Leafs defenseman I can name from 1977.
2. My guess is that it's either one of Tkachuk or Selanne, but this also feels too easy. Was Zhamnov playing for the Jets here?
3. Darryl Sittler. He also set the most points in a game with 10. This is just something I know, for some reason.
4. Did Joe Malone do it? I feel like he would be one of them, because he has crazy goal totals. He has a 7 goal game!
5. This feels like something I should know, but I can't even think of an American in this era.
6. I think this is the year Nicholls went crazy with Gretzky?
7. Thompson, Laine, and Zibanejad, are the only 3 that come to mind. Can't think of the fourth.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

It's definitely Zhamnov, I know he's got a 5 goal game on him.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

This will probably be a quick answer, but who is the only player from France to win the Cup?

My first thought was PE Bellemare, but then I realized he played for Colorado until last year, when he went to Tampa Bay, so he was with the wrong teams at the wrong time.

Then I remembered the odd saga of Cristobal Huet, who won the cup with Chicago and was then loaned to a Swiss team so they could stay under the salary cap.

Twin Cinema posted:

1. This feels too easy to pick Borje Salming, so I am going to guess Ian Turnbull. He was a goal scorer, and the only other Leafs defenseman I can name from 1977.
2. My guess is that it's either one of Tkachuk or Selanne, but this also feels too easy. Was Zhamnov playing for the Jets here?
3. Darryl Sittler. He also set the most points in a game with 10. This is just something I know, for some reason.
4. Did Joe Malone do it? I feel like he would be one of them, because he has crazy goal totals. He has a 7 goal game!
5. This feels like something I should know, but I can't even think of an American in this era.
6. I think this is the year Nicholls went crazy with Gretzky?
7. Thompson, Laine, and Zibanejad, are the only 3 that come to mind. Can't think of the fourth.

1. Correct! I should've figured a Leafs fan would know it!
2. Correct!
3. Correct! Very Leafy, again.
4. Correct, Joe Malone scored five three times in 17-18 and twice in 19-20. I think you'll know the other answer, too.
5. Yeah this one's hard, the hint is the only way someone will know it.
6. Nope.
7. Correct on those three, there's one more who did it in 2022.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Cristoballlll

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Zodijackylite posted:

5. Based on the hint I'd say Syd Howe

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Zodijackylite posted:

7. Correct on those three, there's one more who did it in 2022.

I also was perusing the Wikipedia page for five-goal games while Tage was going off, which is why I remember this one is Timo Meier.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Spring Break My Heart posted:

5. Based on the hint I'd say Syd Howe

Correct! My favorite bit of trivia here is that he left the Red Wings the same summer that Gordie arrived, so the team had a star forward named Howe for 37 years: 1934–1971.

tinstaach posted:

I also was perusing the Wikipedia page for five-goal games while Tage was going off, which is why I remember this one is Timo Meier.

Correct! Strange to think that was less than a year ago.

We've got two left:

Hint: The second answer is also an answer to one of the other ones.

Hint: You don't need a hint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Zodijackylite posted:

Correct! My favorite bit of trivia here is that he left the Red Wings the same summer that Gordie arrived, so the team had a star forward named Howe for 37 years: 1934–1971.

Correct! Strange to think that was less than a year ago.

We've got two left:

Hint: You don't need a hint.

Mario