Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

Skarbrand has been sent to elf jail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Mercrom posted:

Did they fix the bug where the number of enabled workshop mods reduced framerate?
That was hotfixed after 1.3 I think

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

AI seems pretty aggressive early on at least, even in diplomacy. On like turn 10 Manny demanded almost 2k of my lizard dollars or he’d declare war on me - I can’t remember seeing that before!

Only got to turn 15 or so but I already can tell this is going to be great fun for like a decade to come. The fact that there’s years of support and DLC still ahead is nuts.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I admit I am struggling without the SFO changes to the strategic layer and unit tweaks, vanilla always feels very... basic, afterwards.

The map is pretty good though, not too squashed, and it's nice to have the new battle maps and visual effects.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I'm trying to build a Nurgle themed army and I can't seem to get a damned Sorcerer of Nurgle. I mean I guess I could scrap this Nurgle Lord and instead recruit a Sorcerer Lord and MAKE him use the Lore of Nurgle, but drat every single Chaos Sorcerer I recruit seems to have a hardon for Slaanesh and Tzeentch (and/or Lore of Metal).

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Managed to wrap up a greenskin campaign in about 9 hours. Zero bugs that I could see. Performance felt great, unlike release. Turn times were short and improved as the game continued and factions were eliminated. I think they nailed it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Reportedly they may have upped the difficulty of Oxyotl missions a bit

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Haha I forgot how completely trash Brettonian infantry is

They're like.... just better than skavenslaves

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I got the dwarf end game crisis

It DOES NOT spawn armies for every existing dwarf faction
it DOES spawn armies for where every starting dwarf faction was
I had wiped out grombidil and now he is back, with 6 armies

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Does it also spawn MEGAGRIMGOG to krump those stunties back to where they should be

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Am I the first person in the world to see this map?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

OwlFancier posted:

I thought they always could, just extremely slowly, so the healing changes will make them better.

Yeah you're right I guess it could always revive units, it just sucked because it's heal amount was so low I think

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I don't get what they've done with the visuals in tw3 still. Everything looks fuzzy compared to the last game.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

JBP posted:

I don't get what they've done with the visuals in tw3 still. Everything looks fuzzy compared to the last game.

Change your Anti-Aliasing to FXAA

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Played a bit of Sigvald tonight, hes fun but Slaanesh's stuff takes some getting used to. Still not really sure how to handle all these weird squishy flanking units.

Also I dont think my guys are supposed to chant "Blood for the Blood God" when recruiting Daemonettes nor is my Chariot of Slaanesh supposed to be yelling "Nurgle's Pestilent Glory".

All in all fun but a bit uneven so far.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jeff the Mediocre posted:

Skarbrand has been sent to elf jail

You're my hero. Definitely not mediocre, Jeff.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

ZearothK posted:

Am I the first person in the world to see this map?

Good lord. Somewhat stacked in favour of ranged units.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Is there any way I can turn the green outline on every unit off? It looks terrible.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Ultimate campaign victory does not unlock Steam achievements!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Chemtrailologist posted:

Is there any way I can turn the green outline on every unit off? It looks terrible.

yes

I believe it is in battle, hold space, check the right side and turn it off

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Muscle Tracer posted:

Ultimate campaign victory does not unlock Steam achievements!
Since there are no new ones it wouldn't surprise me if the existing ones only work with the original campaign

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Haha I forgot how completely trash Brettonian infantry is

They're like.... just better than skavenslaves

Get them hopped up on crusader/enchanter girl bathwater and they get better.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Third World Reagan posted:

You mean LL faction, right? Or is it literally everywhere dwarves have ever been?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

orangelex44 posted:

You mean LL faction, right? Or is it literally everywhere dwarves have ever been?

Not sure but I believe LL. I've been stuck in the north west corner and there is only one dwarf there.

They came back from the dead with armies. Their home base was a ruin though.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

a bit silly maybe but I guess it makes sense, it wouldn't be much of an end game crisis if there were not many dwarves left and it just spawned no one because they were already all dead

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Skarsnik is ridic now, with lower supply lines, his new starting position, and the greenskin gold building being very cheap and giving 500 gold at T3.

Turn 10: Taken Karaz-a-karak.
Turn 20: Confederated Wurrzag and Azhag, taken black crag and K8P.
Long campaign victory on turn 48, after rolling over Imrik, Tretch, Grimgor, etc, and finally stretching out to kill Belegar.

Everyone hates greenskins, so it was basically a This Is Total War campaign, but with the exception of the Skaven I saw only tentative incursions and a passive defense. #1 in power since turn 15 or so. What's strange is that almost everyone around me was in the ~100 range with a few 30-60s. The three tomb king factions were all top 10 though, and didn't seem more developed than in a WH2 campaign, so everyone had to be weaker than that.

Other weird things I noticed:

I recently played a WH2 campaign and the Forest of Gloom hit T5 in around 20-30 turns. It's still T3 here after 50. Did the growth changes just cripple the AI?

Durthu somehow got reduced to Karak Angazhar as his only settlement. He was completely defenseless and at war with six of his neighbors for about twenty turns before I put him out of his misery.

Akendorf has been left alone as an experiment. It won't grow beyond T3 either, or build more than a half stack. It's like it completely shut down.

I don't think this is really just an aggression thing, it's like some kind of bug shuts off the AI, difficulty bonuses might not be applying correctly, I don't know. But there are definitely economic problems that are driving the AI's passivity. And since tomb king armies aren't bound by economy, that might explain why they were all doing so well.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Tried out Valkia's campaign on the Realms map. Went to the Badlands rather than pushing against Kislev and into Norsca like the game nudges you to and had a jolly time beating the poo poo out of every Orc, Ogre and Skaven in that dustbowl and making them vassals. With the entire Badlands under my hoof I was pretty much free to pump out armies and grind for souls against Greasus and Katarin while Valkia rode around The Empire powerlevelling her stack.

The new WoC mechanics feel pretty neat, was nice to approach end game with an army that wasn't a hyper optimized doomstack without self-imposing that limitation on myself. My main issue however was that it didn't feel like there was much threat or pushback against my campaign progress besides the occasional stack Katarin threw at my home province. I figured that opening rifts would have daemon stacks pop out or one of the other Champions of Chaos would declare war (Vilich discovered me and spent the entire campaign trying to be my bff), but nothin'. Kinda flat but I guess the devs would be wary considering the hyperbole surrounding the rifts campaign.

The final battle was pretty neat. I really dig those kind of king of the hill take and hold style scenarios and facing off against each champion and then Archaon was very cool. Though strangely the God-alligned forces made such much more of a threat than the godsdamn Everchosen did despite him coming from all sides, the AI needs to be tweaked to prioritize what units it sends to capture points, his Horsemasters were fretting about outside the first ring picking at the towers I'd set up while his biggest threats (Giants, Dragon Ogres etc) wasted their time slowwwly capping and letting me chew through his Chosen without hassle.

Going into a Vampire Counts campaign for IE and the main neat thing I've seen so far is that Kislev and Cathay don't seem to have a diplomatic bias against Vamps. The Frost Court and Great Orthidoxy are my buds and its gonna be a blast backing up my shambling dead with Streltzi and Ice Guard.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'll try fxaa for graphics thanks.

Should I be taking settlements as Valkia or just plundering everything? Feels like I should be fighting all the time, but I get worn down by battle losses and need to rest.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

The only settlements that are worth it are the dark fortresses and on IE that is your goal.

Let the bull and morathi take the south.

Now if you are near a fight, there is one building that adds more income from fighting nearby which is ok to have.

Otherwise for healing, your blue line does apply healing when in enemy territory, or just keep giving territory away to norscans.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Vilitch is a pretty interesting lord. He's not remotely as "solo wipe the enemy army from level 5 on" busted as Kairos, but he's extremely tanky and is designed to sort of anchor your frontline and make it a lot tougher. He incentivizes a very different kind of Tzeentch where you bump and grind people to death with a heavy metal frontline, which is fun. I'm pretty sure the tooled up generic marked chaos sorcerers are going to end up more powerful than Vilitch is, but that's life.

Campaign wise he takes over Kairos's old spot of "go murder the Cathayans", though perplexingly he doesn't start at war with Miao Ying, which means you can easily sneak through one of the gates and take Nan Gau while she's faffing about punching rebels. I'm about 30 turns in and northern Cathay is doomed, though Grimgor is worryingly close to my western borders so I'm going to have to buy him off for a NAP so I can focus on destroying Zhao Ming.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 24, 2022

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
Is there a 3rd party Mod Manager for Warhams 3 that's any good? I've been waiting for the Blood Patch and sticking with Game 2 until now. Ready to gib some fools with Ogres!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is turn 10 and thorek ironbrow's grudgeometer is maxed out because all of his quest grudges are permanent and increasing in severity every 5 turns or so.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

It is turn 10 and thorek ironbrow's grudgeometer is maxed out because all of his quest grudges are permanent and increasing in severity every 5 turns or so.

Nice. You get free slayers.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The only settlements that are worth it are the dark fortresses and on IE that is your goal.

Let the bull and morathi take the south.

Now if you are near a fight, there is one building that adds more income from fighting nearby which is ok to have.

Otherwise for healing, your blue line does apply healing when in enemy territory, or just keep giving territory away to norscans.

Great thanks, simply handing off settlements to my smelly Viking friends has really made economy and management much easier.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nice. You get free slayers.

Yeah it's less severe than I'm used to, just funny.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I started my millionth empire game and Marienburg invaded on turn 5 before I had even finished consolidating reikland, and khazrak showed up like two turns later and razed everything to the ground by turn 10. normal/normal difficulty because I'm bad at these games no matter how much I love them. that was unexpected.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The gently caress? Is this a Repanse only thing - I didn't see it with Alberic, or is it a photoshop?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The gently caress? Is this a Repanse only thing - I didn't see it with Alberic, or is it a photoshop?

Probably a mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 1 minute!
I played a bunch of azrael and I got declared on a lot but I don't think an AI ever entered my territory the whole time.

Then i played ghorst and figured I was in for some fun vs cathay when he declared on me but the AI only had a tiny stack that just fled before my armies and I took everything unopposed

I think they made the AI a lot less willing to trespass to get to you and more willing to run away and let you take settlements without a fight

Gonna try out a legendary game

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 24, 2022