Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
even if the buffs ended up being enough to match pre-patch, they've already instilled that doubt into their player. now people will always be questioning if the loot has been hosed with or not. you can't easily claw that back.

GGG has been coasting by for the past few leagues launching them in a semi-poo poo state and assuming that they can just fix it up after the first week or two but this illustrates why it's a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ran 6 lakes. Got 2 divines total and a plethora of chaos. They definitely buffed the lake, because hooo boy that was a joke before.
It seems like you are almost guaranteed at least 1-3 chaos per currency chest.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I get so irrationally mad when people use the "slap [in/to] the face" analogy. If I came round and I slapped you in the face, I should go to loving prison. It is not the same. Similarly, game patches that you don't like aren't aids or cancer. This language is both unhelpful and deeply, deeply disrespectful.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

lol, percentage increases on things whose values are not known to anyone in the public, and I still guess not to most of GGG either

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

I just want to know how they intend players to improve their gear in their ideal vision of the game.

Is it picking stuff up off the ground? Then items need to drop identified or they need to be of much higher average quality than they are currently. Picking items up off the ground and IDing them is incredibly tedious and unrewarding. You spend more time clicking and reading item text than you do actually playing the fun part of the game.

Is it crafting? Then crafting needs significant weighting towards favorable outcomes (Harvest pre-3.19) or, failing that, currency to craft with needs to be way more plentiful.

Is it trading? Well, the items need to come from somewhere, and people need the means to trade for them, so see the two methods above.

Honestly, putting aside all the drop rate stuff, I think the removal of weighted Harvest crafts and prefix/suffix reforges is the worst feeling change to me.

We essentially have the lowest crafting power that we have had in a long time. Harvest chaos orbs are worse than essences and arguably fossils, and metacrafting is significantly less accessible. Divining gear to squeeze out the last few percent to reach an important breakpoint is prohibitively expensive.

Given that, and their idea of buffs being dropping more rare items on the ground, I can only assume they intend us to primarily pick poo poo up off the ground and ID it, and maybe take expensive gambles to improve those items.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

pork never goes bad posted:

I get so irrationally mad when people use the "slap [in/to] the face" analogy. If I came round and I slapped you in the face, I should go to loving prison. It is not the same. Similarly, game patches that you don't like aren't aids or cancer. This language is both unhelpful and deeply, deeply disrespectful.

oh no we mustn't disrespect the company that deceived its playerbase by obfuscating massive nerfs to drops and systems so they could sell more supporter packs

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

qnqnx posted:

lol, percentage increases on things whose values are not known to anyone in the public, and I still guess not to most of GGG either

It's like being tased.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

They're not saying it's disrespectful to the company.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

This post is a slap into my face.

Also wasnt there someone that slapped a person in the oscars and went off scot free

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Nah, your take is cooked. They made money by not telling people about a massive loot change that fundamentally changed the gameplay, which is shown by the massive drop in players on day 5 of the league.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

what is even the point of this post lol.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Please don't use emotional language as I get unpleasant tummy feelings on the website which is literally designed to be a place where you can have flame wars without it tearing the community apart

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sorry. Didn't mean to offend anyone by describing tummy feelings as unpleasant. I meant counter-good. Sorry to anyone with atypical bowel function who may have been affected by my crude actions.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I think most reasonable people don't call things "aids" or "cancer" anymore but calling something a slap in the face seems like a reasonable metaphor, and only one person even used it in the last page. :confused:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Did posting that make you feel good about yourself?

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord
Looking forward to see if the loot changes help. What a Slap in the AIDS/Cancer that nerf was.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

and furthermore, don't say it's hot as hell outside because my ancestors are burning in hell right now and they wouldn't appreciate that at all

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Patch looks good. Now stop AN mods on doubling up on resist mods, remove Empowered Elements and Empowering Minions and stuff should be fine, if not buff global drops a bit more

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

I don't have a :qq: big enough for this so you will have to imagine it yourself.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Cancer has caused my family so much pain, that it's not a word I use lightly. But this is the internet, I ignore it and move on. I'm truly glad they don't how bad the word really is.

Oh, the places your game thread will go when the game is in a bad spot.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm feeling like rolling minetrapper again and see how far I can take it this time.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

I just want to know how they intend players to improve their gear in their ideal vision of the game.

That's what I've been asking since 3.15. no one has ever asked Chris bluntly what kind of experience and/or grind they think is correct for their game.

Putting it together as best I can, it's slog through the acts, getting over leveled. That also gives you longer to possibly find ground gear to wear.

Once you reach maps, more ground gear checking all the time, for good bases. Then put it together with the major rng crafts of slamming currency, fossils. Over and over and over. Finish with bench.

Congrats, you made a piece to get you to yellows. Then there's reds, then conquer and shaper bosses, then first tier of end game bosses, until you handle Ubers.

And the whole time is a slow, poor player pace, and you trade for stuff constantly to really make progress.

That's what it feels like a definite sect at ggg wants. They've said before though that their design teams argue about these things, and are often on opposite sides.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elentor posted:

I'm feeling like rolling minetrapper again and see how far I can take it this time.

i rolled a reflect character and merveil took about 5 minutes of spamming shield crash and vigilant strike to kill so i want you to know that I blame you personally

Granstein
May 22, 2006

Accuse children card game celebrities of adultery and I will not shut the fuck up about it. LSV did not cheat on his wife. He found love in another woman's vagina like Garfield intended.
It really seems like, despite the massive negative reception to archnem, the solution they're going with is "90% of your loot is going to come from archnem mobs." That is a...Baffling decision. They've tripled and quadrupled down on this poo poo, and it really seems like a hill they are fully willing to die on. Good on them for sticking with what they believe is right I guess, but this is the first league since breach (the first league I really played) that I didn't hit level 90 and don't particularly have any desire to go back for more. And I was actually really excited for it! The league mechanic is exactly the kind I enjoy, harvest changes looked great, tainted fusings being back sounded awesome, etc. They should probably give the PR people some raises, because those fuckers got me good.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

this is a wendys

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Larry Parrish posted:

i rolled a reflect character and merveil took about 5 minutes of spamming shield crash and vigilant strike to kill so i want you to know that I blame you personally

My long plan to troll Larry Parrish has finally come to an end, all is right in the world.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Friends, I got to t14 red maps and I just sorta ran out of vaal orbs and alchemy orbs so I can't progress my atlas anymore. I have literally every atlas point so far in map nodes to sustain. I also hit 100 deaths on my pconc tonight. This league is crazy difficult and I can't afford upgrades. I think my opinion finally coalesced into everyone else's.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I'm glad I picked this league to ssf

On minions

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

which minions are you playing?

Krolm
Nov 10, 2004

friendly and non-threatening

Bleak Gremlin
Lol, really sticking to their guns in the face of financial disaster huh?

These buffs are good enough for me, I'll keep playing. But for their bottom line, I feel like anything other than "we hosed up, sorry, we reverted all the loot changes" is not gonna bring back whoever they already lost. Plus the optics just keep getting worse, cause not only do people feel lied to, they don't get to play the game the way they know and love anymore. Now is not the time for slow incremental changes..

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

The price of being underhanded/untruthful.... hope they like the end result.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It doesn’t seem like those buffs are even 10% of what they needed to do.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Rare actually good suggestion on reddit:

(source: https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/wve8p0/how_to_fix_319/ )

IMO matthil's take is very good without veering into hyperbole. I particularly agree that late 3.18 was literally the best POE has ever been, by a large amount. Sentinel was definitely more rewarding than necessary, but it also was great for making and outfitting a ton of characters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHYliOsEDho

ZiggyD's take was also extremely good and is a good summary of everything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5KwOcsvG8E

My dream scenario is that they would just roll back the drops and all the arch-nem mods to where they were ~6 weeks into archnem (while still working to reduce the amount of total junk dropping). I don't think that will happen, but I can dream. Failing that, I think it's possible that they can juice up boss/rare drops enough to offset the loss of loot from everything else getting their rarity/quant nerfed though I highly suspect that they won't juice it that far. Still, that is a potentially elegant solution to the ridiculous user-end and server-side load that generating and real time tracking 50000 drops per map was causing. Having a significant amount of the rewords come at the end would free up a ton of resources for tracking. IMO the amount of rares/whites/blues and poo poo dropping is good and doesn't need to change. Currency drops per map were really insufficient. I'm going to test the update later on juiced t16s and a bunch of lakes I need to run and I'll report back.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My personal pie in the sky is they replace Nemesis with Archnemesis and otherwise we're back on the old rare system. You know, so the Nemesis mod on maps is relevant. Maybe replace the Invasion Atlas passives with a thing that guarantees a rare with at least 4 mods. Then add a couple more reward modifiers too. Wow! Rares can be scary and interesting without making every league mechanic a nightmare and not having every single map have a 3-4 mod rear end in a top hat that takes 400 years to die. At a loving minimum though there needs to be some way to sanity check the mods they get because poo poo like empowered elements + sentinel is just impossible for anyone to deal with.

Kumquat
Oct 8, 2010
everything about this has been beaten to death in this thread so i just want to say I feel really bad for the people who developed a pretty cool league mechanic for it to be completely overshadowed by the awful difficulty curve and poor loot.

Maybe it’s just me but I actually really enjoy putting together the mirrored tablets. It’s really exciting when you gamble by holding out till the last opportunity and finally get a swap entrance tile and everything falls into place. If they were tuned better and dropped poo poo worth picking up from the start it would’ve been a really fun loop imo.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

I mean the league mechanic is also pretty hot smoking butthole. It needed multiple SEVERE buffs to its rewards to even approach acceptable levels, has several QOL changes that really need to happen for it to feel good (better map that shows what areas have been looted already), Kalandra being able to show up without actually giving you a mirror is loving dumb, the rings from the mechanic itself don't have smart rolling so 100% of them are worthless trash.

At least the zone LOOKS awesome.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010
Patch Notes for the fixes mentioned earlier are up.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3298509

Here's a hilarious little note in the fixes for Harvest (yet to be deployed):
Fixed an issue where the "Reforge a Rare item, being more/less likely to receive the same modifier" Harvest crafts had their descriptions backwards.

Also some very unwhelming details on things like strongboxes:
Fixed an issue where strongboxes could sometimes drop no items. Strongboxes will now always drop at least one item.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

door.jar posted:

Fixed an issue where the "Reforge a Rare item, being more/less likely to receive the same modifier" Harvest crafts had their descriptions backwards.

:laffo::laffo::laffo:

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

Noted Psycho Poster Panda Clue
He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Changes are positive, they were never going to throw put a major mechanic midleague with no testing.

Now fix minions and the more pain in the rear end AN mods/combos