Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Grand Fromage posted:

Real missed trolling opportunity here by not including the Simpsons. Preferably in a state that doesn't have a Springfield at all.

Yeah all the gray N/A states should've been The Simpsons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Angepain posted:

I looked it up and apparently it was a fictional city inspied by NY among others, so we weren't completely wrong

I mean Helga’s dad is an explicit reference to a NY politician lol

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Placing the setting of Peanuts anywhere specific is a hell of a stretch. I googled it, and apparently some people have guessed Minnesota since that's where Charles Schulz grew up, but that's hardly conclusive.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Bobs Burgers is probably correct but ATHF ran almost as long with only one season in Seattle.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's a lot of incredibly short-running shows up there that end up as just the only thing ever set in the state. I think Sniz and Fondue might be the shortest because technically it wasn't even its own show, just a segment on Kablam.

There's also shows where the main focus of the show is escaping to somewhere else, so that's a real insult to Wisconsin and Connecticut.

i say swears online posted:

the deep south seems like a pretty big oversight

I think people are very wary of the culture of the South from uh...everything, so they became kind of a cultural void that nobody wants to talk about. If they want to set a show away from the cities of the northeast, they'll generally choose somewhere in the midwest to be a generic suburb (although a lot of those shows still end up in California or Texas). I think Craig of the Creek is the first show I've seen that really embraced being specifically south-ish.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

chalk zone did not take place in wisconsin it took place in the chalk zone

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Simpsons is set in Oregon.

Arguments to the contrary are simply trolling.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Platystemon posted:

The Simpsons is set in Oregon.

Arguments to the contrary are simply trolling.

if your definition of oregon is everything north of marin county then i guess youre correct

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

whats the spying outpost

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_Gap

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
steven universe takes place in a fictional state :colbert:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Angepain posted:

Also I had always assumed Hey Arnold was set in New York as a kid. There's only one city in the US, right?

Whoa what the gently caress

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

I was gonna guess California. I know it took place in a state that didn't have white Christmases iirc, but not Arkansas of all places

I have a vague memory that the recess movie had a scene where space is shown and like...a laser? Missile? Or something is being shot from the town to space? Am i...i must be making this up that couldnt be a real memory.

Uh well if it is real that could help make a good guess as to where the town is located

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Seattle?

(That's how the Space Needle works, right?)

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

C'mon, can SC get an honorable mention for Gullah Gullah Island?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Angepain posted:

Also I had always assumed Hey Arnold was set in New York as a kid. There's only one city in the US, right?

Close.

Tennessee Williams posted:

America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans.

Everywhere else is Cleveland.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Tennessee Williams just wanted to grace the rest of the country with the awesomeness that is the west side market

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Everyone knows The Simpsons takes place in Kentucky.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

wait recess took place in ARKANSAS?? i would have guessed chicago

Hey Arnold not taking place in nyc is boggling my mind

Eh, Chicago is kinda different enough to be tacked on I feel. But yeah, most american cities suuuuuck

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 23, 2022

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think that the map is bullshit because Hey Arnold made direct references to multiple NYC landmarks.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Chicago is just Cleveland with more corruption imo

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

haven't read this yet don't get mad at me

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Chicago is just Cleveland with more corruption imo

and worse food

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

:dogstare:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Facts

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

moonmazed posted:

steven universe takes place in a fictional state :colbert:

A fictional state, but a real name for the Delmarva peninsula. Kinda realer than Delaware.

Other states in the Steven Universe US include Keystone, West Keystone, and Jersey.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Arkansaw is the most controversial one here

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Giving this a solid "Trying way too hard."

But "Tennessee Valley Authoritarianism" did get a chuckle.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Why are they joking about Puritans in Virginia, or am I missing something.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Not sure if you’ve never been to Cleveland, Chicago, or both.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Rebel Blob posted:

Giving this a solid "Trying way too hard."

But "Tennessee Valley Authoritarianism" did get a chuckle.

Trying, but not thinking at all. A lot of these don't reflect the politics of the state at all, although I guess I understand the wishful thinking of some of the inaccurate non-joke ones.

New Mexico's a blue state and Oklahoma's a red state, but the map has them reversed.

Texas is accurate.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The cartoon map reminded me of this, which shows DC also having a void in most of the south.

As opposed to a map of marvel heroes
(okay that's not all of them, and they do have a bunch of heroes in wider locations that seldom maintain their own books for long like Man-Thing in Florida, a separate Spiderman in Texas, Hulk is sort of midwest but travels around everywhere, the X-Men are sort of in Connecticut, a few extended family branches of the Avengers are scattered all over the place, and there was the whole thing where at one point Iron Man tried assigning a hero to every state during Marvel's Civil War, but that didn't really go anywhere)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

drat Spidey’s the only one from Queens??

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

On the subject...

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Snowy posted:

drat Spidey’s the only one from Queens??

Jessica Jones on the left is from Queens but listed in Hell's Kitchen since that's where she's active.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

pik_d posted:

Jessica Jones on the left is from Queens but listed in Hell's Kitchen since that's where she's active.

Oh ok cool thanks :respek:

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Pure WASP Calvinist Juche gave me a smile because it could describe a hell of a lot more than just maine

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
MacArthur ignored the warning sign.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I would have thought Metropolis was bigger than a medium-size suburb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

I would have thought Metropolis was bigger than a medium-size suburb.

I guess thats the population after Superman and Zod killed everyone in Snyderman