Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dune that was a clone of SWG would be insanely cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

trading piss for wood pst

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Dancing in dune to heal nearby players

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Kaysette posted:

turns autorun on, immediately consumed

My unposted joke was that autorun would be without rhythm.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Ranzear posted:

My unposted joke was that autorun would be without rhythm.

The kind of jittery run that looks like rubberbanding but actually it's a feature.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

I'm thinking a Monty Pythonesque silly walk.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
will it be directed by David Lynch?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

DaitoX posted:

A reskin of Conan Exiles does seem more likely.

I was just beginning to say that it's not that bad and that I actually enjoyed the game quite a bit at the release and then I realized I mistook Conan Exiles with Age of Conan. :v:

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
Put your goddamn hand in the goddamn box of pain.

Nobody drink the water. It tastes like rear end and dirt.

Leavy
Feb 15, 2003

rufus
I miss Tabula Rasa the most since I can play CoH now. 25 years of being a wretched millennial of the nerdiest variety and I just want to play the Richard Gariott game he actually killed instead of selling

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

blatman posted:

u can probably pve the worm

No sale. The age of the pvpmmo requires me to pvp the worm. Everyone is clamoring for worm pvp. Just look at my 30 person discord channel. It’s all they talk about.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Leavy posted:

I miss Tabula Rasa the most since I can play CoH now. 25 years of being a wretched millennial of the nerdiest variety and I just want to play the Richard Gariott game he actually killed instead of selling

My local store had boxes up for that game after the servers shut down, I think those boxes stayed till they removed PC games forever.

I really wanted the game to succeed, I still recall playing it, running out of ammo, finding ammo cost almost as much as the money I made killing stuff, and then sometimes did not have enough ammo to do anything. People then told me I chose the wrong class and I quit :(

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Worm Jousting

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Just like Galaxies there is a 1:100000000 chance you can become a worm and then it becomes a game of spending 100 hours eating dirt underground until you get the chance to surface and change some newbies life forever.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

give the worms bazookas and grenades

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
games lookin sick

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

PyRosflam posted:

My local store had boxes up for that game after the servers shut down, I think those boxes stayed till they removed PC games forever.

I really wanted the game to succeed, I still recall playing it, running out of ammo, finding ammo cost almost as much as the money I made killing stuff, and then sometimes did not have enough ammo to do anything. People then told me I chose the wrong class and I quit :(

I played the sniper and would instantly destroy poo poo from way, way outside their aggro range and that was just the game now which was very boring. Then I played a different class and got a sword and it was kinda the same thing-- just instantly destroying things.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

PyRosflam posted:

Same but boxed copies of Fury

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Anyone planning on creating a Soulframe hype thread? I wanted to but :effort:

Of the upcoming games it's the one I'm most optimistic about seeing within the next 5 years, with the latest stream saying they'll have alpha (beta?) players in within the next 12 months.

In case you missed it, they did a small dev kickoff video with a bonus guest: https://youtu.be/8bDm82ulrLU

Apparently they are planning on putting up a lot of nerdy behind the scenes stuff as the project goes along.

Hyped for an MMO... what can go wrong?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Same but boxed copies of Fury

?

E:

Oh, there actually was an MMO. Never heard of it. Should've gotten Fury3 instead.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I have high hopes for every new MMO released.

I am consistently disappointed by every new MMO released.

I am a study in contrasts.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

kedo posted:

I have high hopes for every new MMO released.

I am consistently disappointed by every new MMO released.

I am a study in contrasts.

This is pisspig behavior.

I will not shame you for it.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Rexicon1 posted:

This is pisspig behavior.

I will not shame you for it.

Game Devs are not making games they want to play, they are making games the EA CEO wants you to play, with lots of ways to get money out of players and every pay to win mechanic ever.

Blizzard is dead, making games fun on their own is dead, indy games pay Russian roulette with streamers to see if they can get anything. All thats left is CEOs demanding you play their game about gambling and feed bills into the slot every few hours.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

PyRosflam posted:

Game Devs are not making games they want to play, they are making games the EA CEO wants you to play, with lots of ways to get money out of players and every pay to win mechanic ever.

Blizzard is dead, making games fun on their own is dead, indy games pay Russian roulette with streamers to see if they can get anything. All thats left is CEOs demanding you play their game about gambling and feed bills into the slot every few hours.

And soon we will all be dead too RIP

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

PyRosflam posted:

it's nothing short of a miracle that jeff vogel continues to enjoy modest success with borderline unstreamable text-heavy rpgs that still look like they were developed in the warm glow of a CRT display

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

it's nothing short of a miracle that jeff vogel continues to enjoy modest success with borderline unstreamable text-heavy rpgs that still look like they were developed in the warm glow of a CRT display

He has a great talk at GDC about this very topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stxVBJem3Rs

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I missed that this is made by Funcom. Yep, this is Conan Exiles.

Funcompetence detected, hype levels normalised.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Funcom is also responsible for AO, one of the best mmos of all time.

OF ALL TIME.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

THE BAR posted:

?

E:

Oh, there actually was an MMO. Never heard of it. Should've gotten Fury3 instead.

Fury3 was absolutely the better choice yes

Khorne
May 1, 2002

kedo posted:

Funcom is also responsible for AO, one of the best mmos of all time.

OF ALL TIME.

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/anarchy-online-shovelware/

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/anarchy-online-lag/

https://www.somethingawful.com/game-reviews/anarchy-online/1/

A series of articles from 2001 that are forever burned into my mind.

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

Ignoring the screenshots, this article reads like it could have been written yesterday.

edit: lol except for this

quote:

Once everybody has moved to console games, due to their stability and lack of patches, I'm sure all you arrogant business clowns who keep pushing out unfinished lumps of poo poo can have a meeting and wonder how the industry got to the way it currently is. When I buy a console game, I can safely expect to take it out of its packaging and begin playing it the instant I get it.

Bognar fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 27, 2022

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

RIP that dude.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol that did not age well, but neither did the author.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I said come in! posted:

lol that did not age well, but neither did the author.

It fermented more than it aged.

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

It's a bit weird that nobody's done a massively multiplayer (as opposed to just multiplayer) survival game before now, ie an Ark or Conan Exiles with 5,000 people on a server instead of 50. I guess an issue is the map size, it will have to be huge if everyone expects to build their own fortress.

I'm assuming Dune Awakening won't allow you to destroy other players' homes and take all their stuff as MMO players seem to have a low tolerance for that sort of thing.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Paxman posted:

It's a bit weird that nobody's done a massively multiplayer (as opposed to just multiplayer) survival game before now, ie an Ark or Conan Exiles with 5,000 people on a server instead of 50. I guess an issue is the map size, it will have to be huge if everyone expects to build their own fortress.

I'm assuming Dune Awakening won't allow you to destroy other players' homes and take all their stuff as MMO players seem to have a low tolerance for that sort of thing.

behold: mortal online 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv3IJEO3QPY

(not all things advertised in the trailer are actually possible to do in the game)

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Mortal Online 2 looked cool, but when I played the beta it was an absolute poo poo show and I have a hard time believing it has improved much.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Paxman posted:

Haven & Hearth? Wurm?

LLSix fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 29, 2022

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Hearthstone is a massively multiplayer survival game...? :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

kedo posted:

Hearthstone is a massively multiplayer survival game...? :thunk: