Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lobster shirt posted:

woke up this morning and just thought to myself, i hate cars.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

TeenageArchipelago posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fINyjTwtPo

Some good bollard action in this video. Watch the car in the background at 2 minutes use the bus lane because they fear the power of the bollard
"The bollards on this road are causing accidents"

Well firstly it's "collisions" not "accidents" and second, those bollards are inanimate objects :c00lbutt:

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Maed posted:

that driver probably is a cop OP, did he have his plates scratched off? all the cops in nyc do that so the speed cameras can't get them

could be a cop, but afaik DC doesn't have the same scratched off cop license plate problem NY does. there's just no traffic enforcement here in general, so he could just be a normal guy who realized that laws arent real. the big thing to do here is get one of those tinted license plate covers because then youre safe from speed cameras and therefore the entirety of law enforcement on the road in the district

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/atomicthumbs/status/1562190795897131009?s=20&t=BLXmAlE8FdvHSk95z_1hOg

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

The best car is a car that destroys itself. everyone should buy a tesla imo.

elon musk is the greatest visionary of our time

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

airbags not going off is kind of concerning lol

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lobster shirt posted:

At this point in time anyone giving Tesla $15K for "full" "self-driving" is committing delayed suicide

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fINyjTwtPo

Some good bollard action in this video. Watch the car in the background at 2 minutes use the bus lane because they fear the power of the bollard

pretty cool that people have no idea how wide their vehicle is and can't see or tell if they're about to hit something. this is considered normal and fine. also at the same time if you scratch or bump your vehicle you're up for a big repair cost.

cool mode of transport

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

Love Barry's optimism that it's the wily sign causing all the ruckus.

I wonder if you could bait cars by riding quickly through it on a bike. I occasionally hear suspension bottoming out and body scraping behind me when I use my superior big bike wheels to take speed bumps above what's posted.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

cowboy beepboop posted:

pretty cool that people have no idea how wide their vehicle is and can't see or tell if they're about to hit something. this is considered normal and fine. also at the same time if you scratch or bump your vehicle you're up for a big repair cost.

cool mode of transport

I laughed so hard that my dog spooked.

The reason this is such a "problem" "now" is because cages have gotten much larger recently so they've got less room to fuckup in, and of course it's not legal to slow down for any reason in your cage so just wing it and hope lol. Weird how the news team filming the bollards had everyone going through without incident because they weren't speeding in a neighborhood.

Like you physically couldn't enter that neighborhood with a lot of American trucks and probably some cars. This is a good thing, obviously. In the US you'd have to space them out 10' but they'd still serve the purpose of preventing speeding.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Harik posted:

I laughed so hard that my dog spooked.

The reason this is such a "problem" "now" is because cages have gotten much larger recently so they've got less room to fuckup in, and of course it's not legal to slow down for any reason in your cage so just wing it and hope lol. Weird how the news team filming the bollards had everyone going through without incident because they weren't speeding in a neighborhood.

Like you physically couldn't enter that neighborhood with a lot of American trucks and probably some cars. This is a good thing, obviously. In the US you'd have to space them out 10' but they'd still serve the purpose of preventing speeding.

I am extremely on favor of this idea. Someone hits a bollard with thier car they immediately get punished and if they have a problem navigating the gap maybe they shouldn't be driving.

I remember there used to be a street in a town nearby that was residential but extremely wide. Speed limit was low, like 15 mph. There was a gutter that went across the road at one point and if you went even that fast you were extemely likely to bottom out your car very hard. There were huge deep marks carved in the pavement from people who didn't know better and ignored the BUMP signs just slamming the bottom of thier cage into it. Unfortunately the city got enough complaints and they smoothed it out. Now you can blitz down that road as fast as you want.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

you all should watch canadas worst driver, it’s all on YouTube, to see how bad way too many people are at driving

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

The thing that finally made me realize Teslas are a death trap was reading an account from a former software engineer about someone writing a hasty script to fix a dangerous bug, deploying it, and hoping it propagated to all the affected cars before something crashed. Reading it made me think:

"Ha, that's how I fix mistakes at work...:stare:"

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

lobster shirt posted:

looking at the video the airbags probably wouldn't have gone off in any car. came to a pretty slow stop.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Howling into the void once more about the compounding waste of time and talent that is the auto industry, and the brilliant minds I've seen hurl themselves at muh autonomys

Apr 7, 2003

McCracAttack posted:

The thing that finally made me realize Teslas are a death trap was reading an account from a former software engineer about someone writing a hasty script to fix a dangerous bug, deploying it, and hoping it propagated to all the affected cars before something crashed. Reading it made me think:

"Ha, that's how I fix mistakes at work...:stare:"

Move fast and break things people

Apr 7, 2003

Horace posted:

looking at the video the airbags probably wouldn't have gone off in any car. came to a pretty slow stop.

Airbags generally go off with force equivalent to driving into a rigid wall at 10-16 mph, he went through those guard rails hard enough to deploy the airbags in a car not made by morons

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

he doesn't drive head on into anything, the barriers do their job of containing the car and it slows down gradually. head on into a brick wall at 10mph is shitloads more force.

the fact that hes whining about autopilot on reddit suggests the airbags and seatbelts worked fine

someusername
Jan 26, 2015

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

could be a cop, but afaik DC doesn't have the same scratched off cop license plate problem NY does. there's just no traffic enforcement here in general, so he could just be a normal guy who realized that laws arent real. the big thing to do here is get one of those tinted license plate covers because then youre safe from speed cameras and therefore the entirety of law enforcement on the road in the district

There was a period few years ago that NY issued plates that would just peel off within months. Just galvanized metal with raised lettering now.

Isn't there RFID in everything anyway? EZ-pass, registration sticker, plate, license, gently caress knows what the car itself transmits that's a UID.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Oh poo poo, we're getting a road diet and protected bike lanes on one of our most important streets. Now if only the state would relinquish control of the street by my house.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/thinkiamsad/status/1562210971585765376?s=20&t=DOO3JYWAUy6o0W2qAfXMcw

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
my-crimes.mov
https://twitter.com/tomflood1/status/1562432741437673472?t=rxUKLHdzXSboJkUHqKcl7w&s=19

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I hate this, thanks

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

my tiny rear end little car can drive over kerbs too?

Apr 7, 2003

they really do go out of their way to appeal to the worst fuckin people, don't they

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's interesting how on the one hand that sort of car bloodthirst seems to be greater than ever, while on the other we're seeing maybe the most anti-car sentiment there's been in decades. I don't even think the two are that linked. i.e. anti-car sentiment is more about the built environment than traffic fatalities.

Apr 7, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It's interesting how on the one hand that sort of car bloodthirst seems to be greater than ever, while on the other we're seeing maybe the most anti-car sentiment there's been in decades. I don't even think the two are that linked. i.e. anti-car sentiment is more about the built environment than traffic fatalities.

Auto manufacturers are aware that younger generations won't have the money, ever, to buy their high margin vehicles, so they're focusing increasingly on their most profitable demographic - the one with brain damage from decades of huffing lead fumes.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

https://twitter.com/euancx/status/1562441956050886661?t=85hYqsHdCUsCi9XT4I9Nng&s=19

That video is apparently taken a little out of context from the review as a whole?

Apr 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/euancx/status/1562441956050886661?t=85hYqsHdCUsCi9XT4I9Nng&s=19

That video is apparently taken a little out of context from the review as a whole?

Dodge ran quite literally the same sort of thing a few years back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OOwfB5GdkQ

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

I hate this, thanks

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Maybe if we're incredibly lucky more cities will more away from car-oriented design and the suburbanites who refuse to give up their lifestyle will be increasingly marginalized. Your car is good for getting around your suburban bubble but not much else. Cities have to build housing so that people can afford to live in them though or this will just make them even more into playgrounds for the rich.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Maybe if we're incredibly lucky more cities will more away from car-oriented design and the suburbanites who refuse to give up their lifestyle will be increasingly marginalized. Your car is good for getting around your suburban bubble but not much else. Cities have to build housing so that people can afford to live in them though or this will just make them even more into playgrounds for the rich.

The good news is, the shantytowns built by climate refugees around every major city will be far too cramped for big cars to get through the narrow twisting pathways.

The bad news is, by that point the homeless will be classified as a kind of invasive species and it will be completely legal to simply smash through the encampments, and all cars will be designed to do so.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Dodge ran quite literally the same sort of thing a few years back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OOwfB5GdkQ

lmao "and then all the women started undressing"

I hate everything about this down to the specific Metallica song

Apr 7, 2003

Lib and let die posted:

lmao "and then all the women started undressing"

I hate everything about this down to the specific Metallica song

they know their market, I'll give them that.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/20717167.campaigner-claims-parking-bay-pic-proves-toxic-situation/

I noticed something similar at a shopping centre elsewhere in England, a really remarkable fraction of people in disabled parking bays seem to have very expensive cars.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Gripweed posted:

The good news is, the shantytowns built by climate refugees around every major city will be far too cramped for big cars to get through the narrow twisting pathways.

The bad news is, by that point the homeless will be classified as a kind of invasive species and it will be completely legal to simply smash through the encampments, and all cars will be designed to do so.

Yeah my fear is that the current urbanism/YIMBY movements will fade once climate change puts a strain on otherwise pro-social people. Car-oriented design and suburban sprawl are the results of selfish, anti-social sentiment, and that's probably only going to grow as resources and habitable places become more scarce.

mystes
May 31, 2006

oh my god I can't believe this is real

Edit: oh it's a joke? phew

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Gripweed posted:

great news for Bad Boys 4. they won't need to fly Will Smith and Martin Lawrence down to Cuba to film a scene of them driving a Hummer through dozens of paper mache favelas. they can do it right at home!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Did you watch the video? There's definitely a quip about how people are going to buy this and use it to go to the drive thru, but he is 100% sincere in his praise for that vehicle, even though the brakes fail if you drive it hard and it needs a front camera to allow you to see the pedestrians you will inevitably run over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Yeah that reviewer guy looks like he could be one of the douchebags in this matrix: