Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Chalks posted:

There's going to be so much political will behind their EU membership process that I don't think there's any danger from these sorts of laws remaining once the war is over.

Well, a problem is that the war could end up devolving into another frozen conflict or otherwise some sort of low level ongoing violence and unresolved territorial dispute that can stretch on an extremely long time. This already happened from 2014 onwards. In that case it could very tempting to just leave martial law in place or some similar state of emergency that would leave laws like this in effect. Places like Egypt and Syria have spent most of the last half century with active states of national emergency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Seems like a weird thing to get freaked out over, considering, you know. I wonder what "leftists" think about workers' rights in :ussr:

quote:

In March 1929 a new law broadened the authority of factory managers,
who could now punish workers without consulting trade union representatives.
Legislation in November 1932 decreed that absenteeism for more than one day would
lead to immediate dismissal from work and eviction from home.
On 26 December 1941, job-changing in war industry was equated with ‘desertion’,
punishable with up to eight years of ‘deprivation of freedom’ in a labour camp (gulag).
To desert from war industry a worker typically had to abandon his or her workplace
without management’s approbation, or be late for work more than three times.

https://sci-hub.se/10.1177/0968344511417501

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

khwarezm posted:

Well, a problem is that the war could end up devolving into another frozen conflict or otherwise some sort of low level ongoing violence and unresolved territorial dispute that can stretch on an extremely long time. This already happened from 2014 onwards. In that case it could very tempting to just leave martial law in place or some similar state of emergency that would leave laws like this in effect. Places like Egypt and Syria have spent most of the last half century with active states of national emergency.

Ukraine has similarly spent the years since 2014 with regional exceptions in the east, such as having military administrators in those regions. If we look at an even more grave example, North Korea - I’m not well versed in SK laws, but I don’t believe it’s under martial law either. Sure, there are various exceptions in place there as well, but my point is that those are derogations from peacetime laws, rather than from wartime laws.

I struggle to envision Ukrainian government protecting their balls both from the people and the EU if they try to extend the martial law for much longer than when laypeople internalise that the conflict has frozen. For people, there’s plenty of economic reasons to want it gone as soon as possible. EU, on the other hand, would experience major internal crisis if Ukraine goes the way of Hungary, and with Ukraine being an official candidate member state, it’ll unlikely shy away from exercising its considerable pull there. Unlike Egypt or Syria, which would be quite the reference points to select even when talking about Yanukovych’s Ukraine.

Atreiden posted:

We joined way earlier. Denmark became a member back i 1973 when it was stil the EEC.

A fair comment, the actual joining timeline did entirely flew out of my head when writing all of that.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 23, 2022

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

khwarezm posted:

Hard to see how a frozen conflict happens while the west is imposing hundreds of billions worth of sanctions and frozen assets. Furthermore the cost of sanctions grows the longer they are in place. Once Russia concludes they cannot further their goal militarily, they are going to want to negotiate to release assets and sanctions quickly, which is simply not going to happen if the fighting is still ongoing.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Seems like a weird thing to get freaked out over, considering, you know. I wonder what "leftists" think about workers' rights in :ussr:

If you encounter anyone with strong opinions about labour laws from 81 years ago in a country that no longer exists, you'll be able to knock em out of the park with this line.

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice
The law is bullshit. Ukraine has enough crazy libertarian poo poo with the tax code anyways.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
it's being reported that the us will announce a $3 billion dollar aid package tomorrow

the thing that caught my eye is that this is the first american military aid package which will be relying on future production instead of drawing down current stockpiles. it's not surprising at this point, but it appears the united states is preparing for a longer war

quote:

Unlike most previous packages, the new funding is largely aimed at helping Ukraine secure its medium- to long-term defense posture, according to the officials familiar with the matter. Earlier shipments, most of them done under Presidential Drawdown Authority, have focused on Ukraine’s more immediate needs for weapons and ammunition and involved materiel that the Pentagon already has in stock that can be shipped in short order.

In addition to providing longer-term assistance that Ukraine can use for potential future defense needs, the new package is intended to reassure Ukrainian officials that the United States intends to keep up its support, regardless of the day-to-day back and forth of the conflict, the officials said.

Kavros posted:

it's always just a remix of the understanding that russia doesn't have the ability to make very credible disinfo, so they have to rely on strategies for disinfo that don't have to care about the holes in the story. always running very low on a scale of 0 to Elim Garak

can you explain what this image is supposed to show? i'm assuming from the context that the image is faked, but it's not really clear based on what

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

can you explain what this image is supposed to show? i'm assuming from the context that the image is faked, but it's not really clear based on what

That is a digital photo forgery analysis instrument. The clone detector highlights similar areas in blue, and connects them with red lines. The whiter an area is, the more overlap there is. This isn’t really an indicator of a faked document per se - just that someone may have hosed around in Photoshop with it.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Apologies for posting Visegrad24, but this video of soldiers holding a line in a dense forest against an enemy that they can't see is hypnotically scary. At one point in the vid, you can hear the hum a round traveling.

:nms: for violent imagery
https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1562245249216532480

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That is a digital photo forgery analysis instrument. The clone detector highlights similar areas in blue, and connects them with red lines. The whiter an area is, the more overlap there is. This isn’t really an indicator of a faked document per se - just that someone may have hosed around in Photoshop with it.

Considering both of her parents confirmed she served in the National Guard (not Azov specifically), and the dates align with when she changed her last name, it's fair to say it's probably real. But it also means literally nothing.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Good for her. I hope she did murk that loving nazi. I'd put her passport photo up right next to Lyudmila Pavlichenko.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

The implication that an Ukrainian national guard member can travel to Moscow, during a war special operation between the two countries, and blow up a car is kinda of impressive. It is an interesting information war strategy.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Crow Buddy posted:

The implication that an Ukrainian national guard member can travel to Moscow, during a war special operation between the two countries, and blow up a car is kinda of impressive. It is an interesting information war strategy.

With her 12-year old daughter in tow, no less!

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

it's being reported that the us will announce a $3 billion dollar aid package tomorrow

the thing that caught my eye is that this is the first american military aid package which will be relying on future production instead of drawing down current stockpiles. it's not surprising at this point, but it appears the united states is preparing for a longer war

I think this means that the United States has run out of excess munitions to send and must produce more to continue equipping Ukraine.

I wonder how much of the production line relies on foreign-made microchips.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Happy Ukraine Independence Day, hopefully Russian forces wont decide to celebrate it with mass missile strike or nuclear disaster

https://twitter.com/meduza_en/status/1562269088910819329?t=7kfFHlregcZqgezTKQUXmw&s=19

Police finally came for Roizman, took them long enough

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Aug 24, 2022

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Happy Independence day! Slava Ukraini!

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Ok quick request, I'm talking to somebody who claims that most civilian casualties in the war in the Donbas before 2022 were caused by Ukrainian forces. He claims that there is a UN report that backs up what he's talking about, does anybody know anything about this and the reliability of such a claim? Because I'm quite skeptical.

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

khwarezm posted:

Ok quick request, I'm talking to somebody who claims that most civilian casualties in the war in the Donbas before 2022 were caused by Ukrainian forces. He claims that there is a UN report that backs up what he's talking about, does anybody know anything about this and the reliability of such a claim? Because I'm quite skeptical.

I mean, is that not probably true? There was essentially a civil war at the time with both sides shelling each other.

That being said any UN report should be reasonably easily sourced and verifiable.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

khwarezm posted:

There are UN reports on civilian casualties, this one might be the last one before the war started, but I don't think those reports ever said whose forces killed them.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Aug 24, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
no that's horseshit, have him link it or tell him to gently caress off

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Seeing as all the cease fire violations were caused by the poor put upon separatists, I think you can put two and two together regarding who probably killed more people. And yeah, the OHCHR's been publishing regular reports with break down by the cause of death, but no report I've seen has included attribution to a specific party.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
If someone makes a claim, you ask them for a source, especially if they say one exists.

If they don’t provide a source or say some bullshit like “just Google it” or “do your research” then it’s 100% because they made it up in their heads based on biases.

It’s not your job to provide evidence on whether if something someone is claiming is factual.

Kallikaa
Jun 13, 2001
Aleksandr Lukashenko sends Independence Day greetings to Ukraine
August 24

Belarusian President Aleksandr Lukashenko has extended greetings to the people of Ukraine as the country celebrates Independence Day.

“I am convinced that today's contradictions will not be able to destroy the centuries-old sincere good-neighborly relations between the peoples of the two countries. Belarus will continue to stand up for the preservation of concord, development of friendly and mutually respectful contacts at all levels,” the message of greetings reads.

The Belarusian head of state wished Ukrainians peaceful skies, tolerance, courage, strength and success in restoring a decent life.

https://president.gov.by/en/events/pozdravlenie-narodu-ukrainy-s-dnem-nezavisimosti-1661324642

Never mind I let Russia attack you from our territory eh?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Kallikaa posted:

Aleksandr Lukashenko sends Independence Day greetings to Ukraine
August 24

Belarusian President Aleksandr Lukashenko has extended greetings to the people of Ukraine as the country celebrates Independence Day.

“I am convinced that today's contradictions will not be able to destroy the centuries-old sincere good-neighborly relations between the peoples of the two countries. Belarus will continue to stand up for the preservation of concord, development of friendly and mutually respectful contacts at all levels,” the message of greetings reads.

The Belarusian head of state wished Ukrainians peaceful skies, tolerance, courage, strength and success in restoring a decent life.

https://president.gov.by/en/events/pozdravlenie-narodu-ukrainy-s-dnem-nezavisimosti-1661324642

Aleksandr "I'm only being diplomatic, hedging my bets, oh god please let me live another day" Lukashenko sends his regards. :rolleyes:

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Kallikaa posted:

I dunno, given what happened with supply lines and equipment from Belarus into the Kyiv area, he might have actually helped out the Ukrainians in the overall strategical war compared to as if Russia had just never gone through Belarus at all.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

A long but good thread capping out the last 6 months, might be worth adding to the OP as a read in on how things are going:
https://twitter.com/ruth_deyermond/status/1562114194639671298?t=psLSdG2uM-IMMXTTVLTPfA&s=19

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I wonder how much of the production line relies on foreign-made microchips.

Probably not much aside from commodity parts like NOR and DRAM since military spec stuff is often required to be made in the USA.

Plus the suppliers for this stuff are largely in the USA anyway (e.g. Texas Instruments, Analog Devices), so there wouldn't be a lot that would be sourced overseas were that allowed.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

New Washington Post article about the first months of war

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/interactive/2022/kyiv-battle-ukraine-survival/?itid=sf_world_ukraine-russia_top-table

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/Sino_Market/status/1562339915869786112

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Biden put out a statement for Ukrainian independence day that has a few more comments on what the 3 billion dollars for Ukraine is intended for
https://twitter.com/JackDetsch/status/1562410203416592385?s=20&t=SOaquzWao84_X_obRmXcHw

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

mobby_6kl posted:

You wonder what “leftists” think about labor laws in a state capitalist Stalinist poo poo show of a state, which no longer exists, during the Second World War?

Well as the resident Marxist in the thread I would be more than happy to dissertate on the authority principle, the cult of personality, and how red fascism works by clinging to one party rule by putting on Marxist costumes and then claiming the “Party” is the sole legitimate authority in translating Marxist theory for the masses, then drawing a parallel to how it works in a similar way to most organized religions, but…

I don’t think you really want to know, because you think this is some sort of 80+ year ‘gotcha’ you can play on “leftists,” which you’ve pushed all into one category; and not only is it beyond the purview of this thread, I highly doubt everyone else wants to read a post that is 20 pages of typed text about the topic.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

You would have to search long for a better symbol of lost Russian soft power.
https://twitter.com/ESK001/status/1562398188115558400

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

steinrokkan posted:

Seeing as all the cease fire violations were caused by the poor put upon separatists
Do you have a source for this?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

the popes toes posted:

You would have to search long for a better symbol of lost Russian soft power.
https://twitter.com/ESK001/status/1562398188115558400

For context, this is primary Soviet memorial in the country. It’s located in a dedicated park right outside downtown Riga.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

ZombieLenin posted:

You wonder what “leftists” think about labor laws in a state capitalist Stalinist poo poo show of a state, which no longer exists, during the Second World War?

Well as the resident Marxist in the thread I would be more than happy to dissertate on the authority principle, the cult of personality, and how red fascism works by clinging to one party rule by putting on Marxist costumes and then claiming the “Party” is the sole legitimate authority in translating Marxist theory for the masses, then drawing a parallel to how it works in a similar way to most organized religions, but…

I don’t think you really want to know, because you think this is some sort of 80+ year ‘gotcha’ you can play on “leftists,” which you’ve pushed all into one category; and not only is it beyond the purview of this thread, I highly doubt everyone else wants to read a post that is 20 pages of typed text about the topic.

poo poo gets weird when you're fighting an existential war. The years on those proclamations, 1929 and 1941, as well as the title of the book, "Soviet Labor Law during the second world war" should remind the reader that drastic times meant drastic measures. The other option was to simply roll over and die for Nazis.

That doesn't mean that certain laws didn't overstep, but building a war machine from scratch capable of fighting the most powerful military on earth was not an easy feat when the czar had left the country with basically medieval technology. Before Stalin's reforms, czarist Russia lost a defensive war against the Japanese whom they outnumbered 8:1 due to basically nonexistent infrastructure and laughable productive capacity*. By the end of WW2, Russia was pumped out more than 100k of some of the most advanced tanks of the era. And they needed those tanks or else the 24 million Russian death toll would have been much higher.

People forget that the USSR killed more Nazis than the rest of the world combined. That would have been impossible with the productive capacity they inherited from the czars.

*Edit: Russia was also forced to surrender to the Germans during WW1 because of their terrible military capacity.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 24, 2022

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1562438825934065666

Seems like a pretty radical 180 from the "not stopping until we reclaim our land" position

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ranbo das posted:

Seems like a pretty radical 180 from the "not stopping until we reclaim our land" position

Who is "First Squawk" and why would their unsourced random tweet mean anything?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

khwarezm posted:

Do you have a source for this?

I don’t have handy overview for 2014-2022, but here’s a reasonably representative sample: https://www.osce.org/files/f/documents/f/9/485372.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ranbo das posted:

Zelenskyy has said before that he’s ready to step down if means a permanent end to the bloodshed. That does only mean a different person becoming the president, rather than Ukraine suddenly ceding Crimea or whatever else you’re imagining.

Also, that’s a lovely source.