Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Dropping off 5 of these bois to Monster Patrol tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Rad work on those guys! Having the lips black isn't something I would have thought to do, but I like that choice.

As an aside, I'm still not quite done with the first season of Ultraman, but I find funny which Kaiju gained a following over the years. Any insight into why some of these had such a small part of the show, but picked up cultural steam?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Thanks! I actually used the clear blood red over the metallic blue and it made that horrible black/purple.

Ultra Q and Ultraman were both culturally huge so the kaiju have lasted the test of time. The stories with them also helped.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Well, it came out super cool! Kind combined with the eyes it gives the vibes of a face in the shadows.

Ahh, I skipped Ultra Q, and jumped straight to Ultraman. That would make more sense if he's got appearances there, haha.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah I’m Ultra Q he was called Garamon and was a giant alien robot from space. They renamed him Pigmon in Ultraman and made him friendly.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I won the lottery for the Magical Pot Elephant and Shark :toot:

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Congrats!!!

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I won the lottery for the Magical Pot Elephant and Shark :toot:

Awesome, they're very cheerful!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

:siren:

https://twitter.com/elegab_jp/status/1559775683286831104?s=20&t=3GjfLkhdwzZIa_WrsuXZSQ

edit: if you've been thinking about getting an Elegab piece I highly recommend joining this lottery. Tunnelon is a fukkin' masterpiece and he's going to make an incredible 140 of this colorway so there is a really good chance you'll get one.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 17, 2022

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Uggh, soooo tempting. I'm pretty sure I'm going to try for this one, but part of me still wants to stick to only GID on his non-dinos.

Also, holy poo poo the video in the lottery post is amazing and everyone should watch it if they haven't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEetflOckf8

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Here's my consolation prize from Mandarake for staying within my budget:

Turn the head 180 and bam! Two in one!

(Cough.)

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I really like the look of that guy, and the colors are fun. I'm not sure how I feel about the asymmetrical wings, 😄.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I really like the look of that guy, and the colors are fun. I'm not sure how I feel about the asymmetrical wings, 😄.

Yeah I know what you mean, though I'm not all that bugged by them. It ticked too many of my other personal boxes anyways so I had to get it. Even the ones as dumb as wanting an orange colored figure. I like all the wacky stuff you can get from the small indie makers, though I probably wouldn't say no to a nice small Gigan figure or something. It's gotta work for me on an artistic level, not just a cool kaiju character.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/Kaiju_Sommelier/status/1560515526626922503?s=20&t=tC7xJsSD5dGJiGgg0okjig

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I'm down for all of sofubi knowledge drops! I have definitely lost a few folks trying to explain this though.

Also, gat drat is this is perfect. Also, why are dudes with masks of tigers and other big cats so cool, haha!?

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChYvsKTrVLF/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I'm down for all of sofubi knowledge drops! I have definitely lost a few folks trying to explain this though.

Also, gat drat is this is perfect. Also, why are dudes with masks of tigers and other big cats so cool, haha!?

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChYvsKTrVLF/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Oh gently caress I do love that the guy is beat up under the mask, this is so tempting.

Speaking of knowledge drops, this is putting the cart before the horse on my part, but what exactly is the paint used on these and how readily available is it? And must it be sent through an air gun? I may or may not win an auction with a blank figure (I've surely jinxed it now) and was thinking up ways to do customization other than hoping high quality acrylic paint sticks with any sort of permanance.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Turbinosamente posted:

Oh nice, thanks for telling me the name of it! I'll have to keep an eye out for ufo animals.

Bubble Wrapp Toys dropped some Abnyans yesterday (the little kitty glows in the dark now!). But they announced it like, 30 minutes before they did a Popshop live show, so I don't know if there'll be any on their site proper. But it might be worth checking.

Semi-related, I picked up an antique shelf-thing that I'm 99% sure was for little religious icons. But guess what it's the perfect size for?

Now to decide who gets the top honor...

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
gently caress, I have come to the conclusion there are too many good toys/figures, even with the rules I've set for myself to keep from buying them all. Like I thought real hard about this slightly morbid indie figure before talking myself out of it because it's resin and I was more than a little worried about breakability. Probably should also get off Stangecat's email list as they're super frequent and all the cutesy pie blind boxes are not my thing. Whatever sells I guess? Can't blame them for that really.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

Oh gently caress I do love that the guy is beat up under the mask, this is so tempting.

Speaking of knowledge drops, this is putting the cart before the horse on my part, but what exactly is the paint used on these and how readily available is it? And must it be sent through an air gun? I may or may not win an auction with a blank figure (I've surely jinxed it now) and was thinking up ways to do customization other than hoping high quality acrylic paint sticks with any sort of permanance.

I will make a long post about it later.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I will make a long post about it later.

Thank you muchly.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

56K NO

Skull Danglers from DuboseArt on Instagram. The guy is super friendly, very prompt, and I love his molds. Perfect vibe of ugly/creepy/cool, and his colorways always have my eye. I want to see what else he creates down the line.

Sealmon, from Montoz Studio, in Korea. Saw it on Etsy and impulse-bought it. Such a good representation of Phoenix' Joker. Shipped and arrived super quickly to my surprise.

Cynders, from Creaturemakertoys.com. smaller than I'd normally look at but again, the colorways. Won a lottery for a Crimson Ghost colorway that's in the mail. They smell like coconut, which the manufacturer let me know was poured into the vinyl lol

Shin Eyezon painted by Magitarius. I've eyed their store for a time and when I learned I couldn't purchase through their store I messaged them on insta and they hooked me up. Very prompt, friendly manufacturer.

I've also got a lottery entry for a couple of very ugly/cute sofubi that my fingers are crossed for. My partner hates them lmao, but I think she's secretly jealous of how :krad: they all are.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

This is perfect! My wife and I love going antiquing and whatnot. Something to keep my eyes peeled for.

Hell yeah, post all the pictures!

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

The next Mondo Biollante drops today, and I'm trying to restrain myself because goddamn I am a sucker for that sort of colorway. Much like with the SDCC drop, it's not shipping until February though.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Ooh, that colorway is pretty awesome! I saw a picture of two green ones, and I'm hold out on potentially grabbing one for one of those. I do think this is the best biollante sculpt I've seen, although I'm far from an expert.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Yeah there's 'original' and a bright green coming down the pipe, and a solid red JJ. Honestly, that one and the 'medic' color they dropped are both kind of duds if you ask me.

I think there's going to be a fifth color of each at some point like they did with Godzilla and Hedorah.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Hell yeah, post all the pictures!

Don't mind if I do, thanks!

I WON THESE HIDEOUS LITTLE FUCKERS (*wallet weeps in USD lmao*)

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

^^^^ Dude. Gross. :confuoot: :cheeky:

LadyPictureShow posted:

Yeah there's 'original' and a bright green coming down the pipe, and a solid red JJ. Honestly, that one and the 'medic' color they dropped are both kind of duds if you ask me.

I think there's going to be a fifth color of each at some point like they did with Godzilla and Hedorah.

Yeah! That one on the left is the one I've got my sights set on if I go for one of these, although seeing the picture again the blue may be the "best" colorway imo.

Edit: Sort of off topic, but I've watched all of Fireman in Japanese with no subtitles, haha. I just found that while on my TV the only subtitle option is Japanese, on my laptop I have the option to auto generate subtitles in English (among tons of other languages), so I can give this thing a watch and actually know what's going on to some degree.

Anyone who wants to give the show a shot it's located here: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLp0rcmJaL4iHtNGxGovLMPcnlQgOih22R

I've got a neato Fireman thing coming in the mail I'll post up when it arrives.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 24, 2022

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

^^^^ Dude. Gross. :confuoot: :cheeky:

Yeah! That one on the left is the one I've got my sights set on if I go for one of these, although seeing the picture again the blue may be the "best" colorway imo.

Edit: Sort of off topic, but I've watched all of Fireman in Japanese with no subtitles, haha. I just found that while on my TV the only subtitle option is Japanese, on my laptop I have the option to auto generate subtitles in English (among tons of other languages), so I can give this thing a watch and actually know what's going on to some degree.

Anyone who wants to give the show a shot it's located here: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLp0rcmJaL4iHtNGxGovLMPcnlQgOih22R

I've got a neato Fireman thing coming in the mail I'll post up when it arrives.

Good idea, I could use some background noise while I wrestle with my budget. Related to that, what do y'all think of Candie Bolton's work? I don't know if I want to spend the bucks on one of her big customs. And I'm sure you all know why this idea entered into my head today too.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Turbinosamente posted:

what do y'all think of Candie Bolton's work?

I think her larger water monster in is pretty rad, and ild like to grab one someday. I also think it's pretty cool in general when someone has a recognizable style, and her paint work on sofubi is pretty instantly recognizable. She also appears to be a talented painter / drawer, but large boobed anime girls isn't my personal art subject of choice. YMMV!

Also, Seijin Shonen tiger dudes are showing up on people's hands, so it appears I did not win the lottery. *Sad lottery noises* haha

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I think her larger water monster in is pretty rad, and ild like to grab one someday. I also think it's pretty cool in general when someone has a recognizable style, and her paint work on sofubi is pretty instantly recognizable. She also appears to be a talented painter / drawer, but large boobed anime girls isn't my personal art subject of choice. YMMV!

Also, Seijin Shonen tiger dudes are showing up on people's hands, so it appears I did not win the lottery. *Sad lottery noises* haha

Yeah, I'm still struggling if I want to spend the money on a Bake Zame figure of hers because there is one and only one up for sale on the internet atm as far as I can tell. I do like the obnoxious rainbow colors and how she puts pattern shapes across the figures, but can also do without the big titty anime girls in her 2d work.

And lol the English auto subs were near useless for Fireman on YouTube, oh well.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Due to some crap that has been happening the past couple of months I've decided that I'm going to start figuring out what in my collection I'm going to keep and what I'm going to let go. It's mostly just getting down to what is important to me, I'm not going to stop collecting or anything. Most of what I sell will be going onto the Collect All Monsters Garage Sale page on FB. Probably starting in the next couple of weeks. I need to recover some $.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Due to some crap that has been happening the past couple of months I've decided that I'm going to start figuring out what in my collection I'm going to keep and what I'm going to let go. It's mostly just getting down to what is important to me, I'm not going to stop collecting or anything. Most of what I sell will be going onto the Collect All Monsters Garage Sale page on FB. Probably starting in the next couple of weeks. I need to recover some $.

Ugh, the life of a collector and a collection is to expand and contract. The contraction generally isn't super fun, but you'll make room for future cool stuff! Hope everything is okay.

Small expanstion to my own collection, I got an exciting (to me) ebay score recently, and it was a pair of small Fireman figures. The ebay listing listed them as store samples, and had Popy and Bandai in the title listing, but I think that was just for listing hits....?

Both of the figs are identical, have some paint wear, and the same markings on the figs. The back says "BP. CHINA" and down the leg says "NOT FOR SALE". I know next to nothing about kanji, but there is a stamp on the back with the copyright logo, and a separate one on the foot. If it wasn't for the copyright symbol, I'd guess it was some sort of bootleg, but IDK.

Turbinosamente posted:

And lol the English auto subs were near useless for Fireman on YouTube, oh well.

I was so excited about it, I didn't vet it first, haha. Yeah, not helpful at all...

S.W.O.R.D. Agent fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 26, 2022

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The foot says "Bullmark" and the back is ©Tsuburaya Pro. and BP China most likely means "BanPresto" China- Banpresto is/was a Bandai sub line. Bandai makes things in China but Bullmark does not- being that it had both of those, I'm going to assume that this was either a store display model or a sample for salesmen (hence the not for sale marking). IIRC Bandai didn't start making Bullmark reissues until the early-ish 1990s. I'll ask Mark Nagata if I remember to do so to see if he agrees.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The foot says "Bullmark" and the back is ©Tsuburaya Pro. and BP China most likely means "BanPresto" China- Banpresto is/was a Bandai sub line. Bandai makes things in China but Bullmark does not- being that it had both of those, I'm going to assume that this was either a store display model or a sample for salesmen (hence the not for sale marking). IIRC Bandai didn't start making Bullmark reissues until the early-ish 1990s. I'll ask Mark Nagata if I remember to do so to see if he agrees.

Oh awesome; thanks for the info! Super interesting. I haven't been able to track any info down since I saw the listing, which claimed it was from the 70s... One thing I didn't mention is that the seller shipped it to me from Hawaii. Not sure if that means anything other than there's a Hawaii colorway so maybe it was something do do with sales in Hawaii.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

That sucks to hear, it's never fun when you have to sell parts of a collection versus wanting to sell bits. Hope things improve for you, and yeah think of it as making room for something more awesome later.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I was so excited about it, I didn't vet it first, haha. Yeah, not helpful at all...

Eh no big deal, I just sat back and basked in the glow of those Science Force uniforms, complete with bellbottoms. And speaking of the 70s looks like there's official free uploads of Godzilla movies on YouTube. It's looks to be a mix of subbed and dubbed, but I was finally able to watch Gigan's origin film as he's my personal favorite monster. Gamera has uploads too, but the offical ones are behind the paywall. Good thing there's a lot of unoffical ones, so I can fully appreciate again the alien's ship in Gamera vs. Viras.

Idk why I love that beach balls and hoola hoop thing soo much.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Oh hey! The Magical Pot Sofubi got here!!

Sisimaru really knows how to do deluxe packaging. Certificates of authenticity and serial numbered figures!

I love the “Mikan” translucent orange on this elephant!

And the shark has great painted rainbow scales!

rear view. I love these!

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Oh hey! The Magical Pot Sofubi got here!!

Those are very cool!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I agree! I’ve only got one other SisimaruMomo piece that I got years ago.

She also makes one with an ancient Egyptian headdress.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Yep, those are super fun! I assume the headdress cat is vinyl? Looks like it's ceramic or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yep, soft vinyl. You can cut the slot on the back and turn it into a bank!