Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

oh do people mistake this thread as evidence of the people posting in it being invested in the democrat party? like I'm going to be personally gutted if the Democrats keep the house and expand their margin in the Senate? is that what the people who hate read this thread think?

if by some miracle the democrat party does manage to keep the house and expand congress then it will just be more opportunities to poo poo on them and make fun of them for being worthless dumbasses who suck at everything

either way i'm going to poo poo on them and laugh at them

it don't matter

nonna this matters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

spacemang_spliff posted:

if by some miracle the democrat party does manage to keep the house and expand congress then it will just be more opportunities to poo poo on them and make fun of them for being worthless dumbasses who suck at everything

it don't matter

nonna this matters

They'll just find new and interesting ways to beg us for money and votes

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Iron Crowned posted:

They'll just find new and interesting ways to beg us for money and votes

Hi Iron Crowned, it's Bernie, respectfully asking if you will split a $20 contribution between Ilhan Omar, Cori Bush, Becca Balint, and our campaign. Here's why:

In the midst of massive income and wealth inequality, a global pandemic, and the existential threat of climate change - it has never been more important to elect candidates who will fight for a strong, progressive agenda.

We need to elect more candidates who will take on corporate greed, authoritarianism, and bigotry and who are prepared to fight for justice. And in order to do that, we must come together to take on the big-money interests that have so much political and economic power in our country.

Ilhan, Cori, and Becca are all running for Congress to create a government that works for ALL of our people, not just those at the top. They are prepared to challenge the status quo, and today they are counting on the support of our movement.

Please split a $20 contribution between Ilhan Omar, Cori Bush, Becca Balint, and our campaign's work organizing the progressive movement nationwide. Here's the link: https://bernie.to/9UAbE
https://m.twil.io/KGwAyL7Xp5

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Personally I'm interested in seeing who the new 2 joe manchins are after the dems expand their hold on the Senate.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Retromancer posted:

Personally I'm interested in seeing who the new 2 joe manchins are after the dems expand their hold on the Senate.

Probably someone already in. Bennet or Duckworth. Duckworth also has all the perfect shields for any left challenger.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

The funniest outcome is the senate parliamentarian becoming the most powerful government official overnight.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Fetterman is going to "mask off"

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

a fatguy baldspot posted:

which republicans are encouraging their followers to murder your friends?

i dont think its a stretch to draw a line from what started as an entirely manufactured moral panic over drag queens reading stories at libraries, to accusing schools of “grooming” - for this to increase the likelihood of violence to especially vulnerable queer people, and stoking some of their base to go more deranged on lgbtq stuff. i also doubt republicans would be playing from a different playbook on monkeypox. this isnt enough to support the democrats (for something better to happen, they must die) but it would be silly to deny that republican leadership isn’t uniquely bad in this particular area of social liberalism

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

speaking of drag queens i saw some vote blue no matter who people posting “don’t vote for desantis, he looks like a drag queen” memes on my facebook feed today

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

spacemang_spliff posted:

it don't matter

nonna this matters

:yeah:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

fart simpson posted:

speaking of drag queens i saw some vote blue no matter who people posting “don’t vote for desantis, he looks like a drag queen” memes on my facebook feed today
Boomer Democrats are an unstoppable force. Nothing can stand in their way when they focus on their goals: failing, losing, and alienating everyone under 50.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

I don't know what people who hate read this thread thinks. I thought dems winning despite their attempts to lose just like trump, this thread's motto and the image macro kind of matched and was funny.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Retromancer posted:

The funniest outcome is the senate parliamentarian becoming the most powerful government official overnight.

This occurs whenever the democrats take the senate, hth

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Halloween Jack posted:

Boomer Democrats are an unstoppable force. Nothing can stand in their way when they focus on their goals: failing, losing, and alienating everyone under 50.

Good then we can be free of the Demon Rats.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

THS2 posted:

i dont think its a stretch to draw a line from what started as an entirely manufactured moral panic over drag queens reading stories at libraries, to accusing schools of “grooming” - for this to increase the likelihood of violence to especially vulnerable queer people, and stoking some of their base to go more deranged on lgbtq stuff. i also doubt republicans would be playing from a different playbook on monkeypox. this isnt enough to support the democrats (for something better to happen, they must die) but it would be silly to deny that republican leadership isn’t uniquely bad in this particular area of social liberalism

The Democrats blamed trans people for Roe getting overturned. If we keep giving them power they'll do the pogroms before Republicans get the chance.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Retromancer posted:

coons 100%, but there's a good list floating around somewhere that i can't find of all the senators who love spending time the most on joe manchin's yacht

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

Retromancer posted:

The Democrats blamed trans people for Roe getting overturned. If we keep giving them power they'll do the pogroms before Republicans get the chance.

probably a few blamed trans people?? but most of them are cynically using roe as a cudgel to beat the republicans with, when it was the democrats fault that this was never codified (and they surrendered 2 pro-row supreme court slots to deranged catholics without a fight). i dont see “the trans did this” at the top of democratic messaging tbh

im obviously not here to defend the democrats, though, so have whatever reason you want to see them destroyed be what feels best to you

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Retromancer posted:

they’ll probably sabotage the dem pogroms so they can do their own

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Zvahl posted:

coons 100%, but there's a good list floating around somewhere that i can't find of all the senators who love spending time the most on joe manchin's yacht

Hassan, Shaheen, Bennet, Hickenlooper, Tester, take ur pick

Jack-in-the-Bach
Oct 15, 2005

Tim Kaine will suddenly remember he doesn't support abortion

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

THS2 posted:

probably a few blamed trans people?? but most of them are cynically using roe as a cudgel to beat the republicans with, when it was the democrats fault that this was never codified (and they surrendered 2 pro-row supreme court slots to deranged catholics without a fight). i dont see “the trans did this” at the top of democratic messaging tbh

im obviously not here to defend the democrats, though, so have whatever reason you want to see them destroyed be what feels best to you

The NYT op-ed page is a peek into the mind of the voter who thinks the Democrats are good. in the immediate aftermath of the decision we saw 3 separate op-eds saying that it happened because we made evangelicals too mad with our weird pronouns.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
just a few minor democrats, mostly no names who can't win elections have said the dems should abandon trans rights

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
lol the framing

https://twitter.com/AyannaPressley/...ingawful.com%2F

* some restrictions apply
** your debt may not actually be canceled
*** loan repayments restart again in 2 weeks

ex post facho has issued a correction as of 18:49 on Aug 24, 2022

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I think the cool liberal Democratic brand of corporate oligarchy is better than the stodgy old Republican brand of corporate oligarchy.

Jack-in-the-Bach
Oct 15, 2005

A lot of libs that ignore low income families are happy on Twitter today

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

ex post facho posted:

lol the framing

https://twitter.com/AyannaPressley/...ingawful.com%2F

* some restrictions apply
** your debt may not actually be canceled
*** loan repayments restart again in 2 weeks

Wrt to *** I think it's actually being extended again until January

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

unwantedplatypus posted:

I think the cool liberal Democratic brand of corporate oligarchy is better than the stodgy old Republican brand of corporate oligarchy.

the jackbooted secret police thugs wearing rainbow patches makes me feel like the arc of the moral universe bends towards justice

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

I reckon there’s a 50% chance the pause will be extended again in January. I’m expecting a nasty Covid breakout and continuing runaway inflation.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

christmas boots posted:

Wrt to *** I think it's actually being extended again until January

Yeah looks like December 30th is the new deadline

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I will actually hand it to the dems for the good provisions in this :frogbon:

still doesn't go far enough

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Cleared my loans out I think, which is nice. I hate that I have to give Biden kudos, but sure, I'll do it just this once for $20k.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

ex post facho posted:

I will actually hand it to the dems for the good provisions in this :frogbon:

still doesn't go far enough

Yeah, I was making GBS threads on this for days when it leaked but the leak didn’t bring up the interest freeze which is actually legit helpful

Congrats to the Dems for doing a single legit good thing for me, only took them two years with complete power and total control (4 counting both administrations with rapist Joe in them). They will be destroyed in November, but I’ll have one of my two loans done by then :woop:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/DefiantLs/statu...ingawful.com%2F

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

LastInLine posted:

I won't deny that the republicans, especially in the post-Trump era, have a political project and social movement to degrade the civil rights of minorities of every stripe across the board. I will argue that voting for democrats does nothing to stop its advance because the democrats (and specifically liberals) do not have a political project or social movement to counter it. They don't have a competing vision for how things should be and a path to get there. As such they are not a countervailing force against the conservative project but at best a pause button of decreasing efficacy.

I'm not saying you need to welcome what's coming but it would be better to accept it as inevitable and stop relying on ineffectual talismans like the democratic party, the federal governmental apparatus, liberals, and the political system writ large to halt it.
well relying on the democrats is certainly a bad strategy. what actually changes things for the better are big social movements like the civil rights movement and the labor movement. but the constituencies here tend to be grouped up with the democratic party, and the republicans being in power are not favorable to our purposes. my friends who are involved in labor organizing prefer the democrats because they're one of the two options and because of the NLRB appointments, whereas the republicans will go out of their way to gently caress with them and appoint people to the NLRB who are actively hostile to labor. like take all the recent labor organizing going on at amazon and starbucks and shut that down -- that's basically what you're asking for if the republicans get back in there.

i think one problem is that "the vote" becomes the be-all-end-all horizon of political activity (liberalism) rather than just using it as one tool. it being the end-all is a talisman like you said, a magic charm for the liberals to cast away the evil. but i think if the choice is between a lion eating your face and a pause button to temporarily slow down the lion from eating your face, you should hit the pause button because that's still the rational thing to do in the circumstances even when everything you just said is true at the same time. also it doesn't take much effort.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 21:51 on Aug 24, 2022

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
The internal polls for the midterms must be really bad if they're offering material aid.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

christmas boots posted:

The internal polls for the midterms must be really bad if they're offering material aid.

They're making a play to keep the House I think

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

oh do people mistake this thread as evidence of the people posting in it being invested in the democrat party? like I'm going to be personally gutted if the Democrats keep the house and expand their margin in the Senate? is that what the people who hate read this thread think?

I assume those people view American electoral politics through the lens of there only being a dichotomy and that they think that we, by virtue of chronicling the democratic party as an ineffectual entity doomed to failure, are somehow "cheering for the other side" and that by staking a position early that the midterms aren't looking good for them we have personal stakes in that coming to fruition.

As ex post facho stated, I look at this thread as more a discussion on the halfhearted political actions that the dems take in an attempt to brand themselves as anything other than the fundraising entity they are and how that relates to them perpetually losing more and more ground among an electorate and citizenry that ever more desperately seeks a political alternative to the gop. I think most of us regulars itt are invested mostly in the dems being increasingly seen as an ineffective bullwark against the broader conservative movement and as such hope to see signs of it in their electoral failings but I don't think any of us have illusions that it's going to happen overnight rather than the continued steady erosion we've been witness to for forty years.

2022 though isn't looking good for them.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

well relying on the democrats is certainly a bad strategy. what actually changes things for the better are big social movements like the civil rights movement and the labor movement. but the constituencies here tend to be grouped up with the democratic party, and the republicans being in power are not favorable to our purposes. my friends who are involved in labor organizing prefer the democrats because they're one of the two options and because of the NLRB appointments, whereas the republicans will go out of their way to gently caress with them and appoint people to the NLRB who are actively hostile to labor. like take all the recent labor organizing going on at amazon and starbucks and shut that down -- that's basically what you're asking for if the republicans get back in there.

i think one problem is that "the vote" becomes the be-all-end-all horizon of political activity (liberalism) rather than just using it as one tool. it being the end-all is a talisman like you said, a magic charm for the liberals to cast away the evil. but i think if the choice is between a lion eating your face and a pause button to temporarily slow down the lion from eating your face, you should hit the pause button because that's still the rational thing to do in the circumstances even when everything you just said is true at the same time. also it doesn't take much effort.

This is the objectively correct take

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

Fetterman is going to "mask off"

Fetterman already sucks wrt Israel but I still want to se Dr Oz eat poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Believe me I'm not saying voting for republicans is a good idea. I'm saying that in the majority of the country, there isn't really a choice. You can vote for republicans or democrats who are also republicans. It'd be one thing if you could expect these democrats to at least vote the party line on national issues but as we've pointed out often itt, you can't even expect that. Even if you work from the concept that being able to appoint chairs and positions as a party is somewhat valuable, the dems don't do so with consideration to building a future project and the gop does so they actively oppose or infinitely delay appointments counter to their aims while we don't get the same reciprocity by installing dems into power.

I'm not saying you're wrong, you're not, voting isn't hard and it can't hurt. That being said I don't think it can help either and in the end the lion is going to catch you. Personally I'd rather get to the actual confrontation with the lion than be tackled from behind if those are my two options. At least once the lion is on you you've moved to a new phase in the lion attack, because we aren't doing too well at this phase of it.