Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

A Moose posted:

oh wow, instead of a basic land, you get a nonbasic land that hurts you whenever you tap it for mana, and it comes into play tapped on the first few turns? Its somehow a downgrade to evolving wilds, noted common.

You got it backwards, it's untapped on the first few turns, tapped afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

For some reason I read it at first as "pay 1 mana to activate mana abilities" and not "pay 1 life."

Much better than first impression but still kinda meh, not terribly great fixing for aggro decks

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

VictualSquid posted:

That and those lords look like they are so utterly useless for standard with not deck to support them. I thought they moved direct to eternal prints to special printings.

There is an Ixalan set in a year and both Goblins and Merfolk are immensely popular tribes that can get cards before it

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Simply Simon posted:

If you play Magic competitively I pity you

Why? It's fun.

Panderfringe posted:

It hasn't really been fun for like ten years now
It's possible to interact with it in ways that it can be fun. Obviously, like anything else it can be miserable if you do it in ways that make you miserable.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Here's that elf lord

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
lol @ tribal carebears getting 3 insane lords in this set.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

There is still time to delete this you know.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

VictualSquid posted:

https://twitter.com/Mengu09/status/1562444504229040130?s=20&t=F_u75qK4uSH2QjRP0oJlrA

This should not be rare. wtf.

That and those lords look like they are so utterly useless for standard with not deck to support them. I thought they moved direct to eternal prints to special printings.

Supports Domain without pissing up your deck with unnecessary basics, untapped dual trial pental land for aggro decks, untapped Gate enabler so you can cast Growth Spiral on turn 2 in Historic Maze's End, it does it all!

5/5 stars, no notes.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

VictualSquid posted:

https://twitter.com/Mengu09/status/1562444504229040130?s=20&t=F_u75qK4uSH2QjRP0oJlrA

This should not be rare. wtf.

Don't understand why this card exists if it doesn't say "choose two basic land types".

Just reprint City of Brass.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Goa Tse-tung posted:

it is kinda funny how I whine about bad GRU kicker cards and they instantly reveal cool cards for me

I've been wanting to make a Hallar, the Firefletcher deck work for commander, but kicker costs in green and red have always been inefficently prohibitive. But spoilers like these have me a little more hopeful

HootTheOwl posted:

Don't touch the oil. Come on, idiots.

Karn: A bit of oil was leaking out the bottom of my boot when I left, and so all of Argentum was corrupted into Mirrodin. Guess I shouldn't have ignored my entire plane for thousands of years! What a goof up!

Later

Shanna: It's a great idea to cover the whole Weatherlight in Phyrexian scrap as camouflage. It's not like they have some sort of corrupting fluid that gets everywhere and transforms whatever it gets on into more Phyrexians, right?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Mat Cauthon posted:

Don't understand why this card exists if it doesn't say "choose two basic land types".

Just reprint City of Brass.

It being typed lets it be a Domain wildcard!

It’s also a gate for the sickos out there.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

You play it on turn one, two, or three and it immediately fixes your mana, what's confusing about that.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Turn one triome, turn two that gate gets you 4/5 for domain on turn 2. Could be something if the aggressive domain payoffs are good enough.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Tibalt posted:

You play it on turn one, two, or three and it immediately fixes your mana, what's confusing about that.

It’s not confusing, but compare it to a card like City of Brass. Both hurt you, but CoB can be any colour and never CITP. They put a big premium on this being a typed gate.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Here's that elf lord

:captainpop:

Boy, tribal decks are gonna be fuuuuun

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Have we seen the W or B version of that cycle?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

JOHN CENA posted:

i have not played magic in years but i am sad that the phyrexians have taken the weatherlight :(

Oh it's even stupider than Phyrexians capturing the Weatherlight, they put a shitload of Phyrexian viscera all over the hull to camouflage it while flying around. That poo poo gets attracted to it's powerstone core, REANIMATED all that gore and then it becomes an evil flying living ship.

Edit: gently caress me beaten by a lot

Jiro fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 24, 2022

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
If we get a human lord.... oh boy.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fadam posted:

Have we seen the W or B version of that cycle?

W is in the release notes. It's for soldiers but I couldn't tell you anything else.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I like this dude, seems really good for Pioneer mono red

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Here's that elf lord

That's a decent looking elf lord

mcmagic posted:

Dominaria: magic as Richard Garfield intended?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

There is still time to delete this you know.

Was it mean? I was just joshing.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

fadam posted:

It being typed lets it be a Domain wildcard!

It’s also a gate for the sickos out there.

Oh yeah I get the reasoning, and I guess if you play Gates this is a nice unexpected bonus but overall a little ho-hum.

Jiro posted:

Oh it's even stupider than Phyrexians capturing the Weatherlight, they put a shitload of Phyrexian viscera all over the hull to camouflage it while flying around. That poo poo gets attracted to it's powerstone core, REANIMATED all that gore and then it becomes an evil flying living ship.

The way the Weatherlight gets compleated is very comedy of errors but I think it works in the overall story; the Dominarians are so busy trying to shore up the coalition and weed out sleepers that they don't really communicate well and that results in dire consequences. Even the core priorities of the coalition - protect the Sylex, protect Karn, and protect the Mana Rig - don't seem to be shared by everyone plus the nu-Weatherlight crew maybe isn't as familiar with the ship technology. So they don't know why Phyrexians want the Mana Rig (because it would let them supercharge their monsters with powerstones) and therefore don't connect the dots to why it would be a bad idea to put Phyrexian slop near the ship's powerstone.

It's the usual "provoke conflict in a story by having the characters not share basic information" trope but I can't be mad at it here.

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I've been wanting to make a Hallar, the Firefletcher deck work for commander, but kicker costs in green and red have always been inefficently prohibitive. But spoilers like these have me a little more hopeful

Karn: A bit of oil was leaking out the bottom of my boot when I left, and so all of Argentum was corrupted into Mirrodin. Guess I shouldn't have ignored my entire plane for thousands of years! What a goof up!

Later

Shanna: It's a great idea to cover the whole Weatherlight in Phyrexian scrap as camouflage. It's not like they have some sort of corrupting fluid that gets everywhere and transforms whatever it gets on into more Phyrexians, right?

IIRC from Karn setting up Argentum/Mirrodin right after the OG Phyrexian invasion to the current Phyrexian invasion that occurs in Dominaria United is ~400 years in the MTG timeline. So they corrupted in an entire plane in record time, without any powerstones to speed up the process even.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I love tribal decks and can't wait to draft then craft terrible ones

mcmagic posted:

Why? It's fun.
Only casual play is fun for me, so anybody who plays competitively clearly must be out of their minds

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Lone Goat posted:

Supports Domain without pissing up your deck with unnecessary basics, untapped dual trial pental land for aggro decks, untapped Gate enabler so you can cast Growth Spiral on turn 2 in Historic Maze's End, it does it all!

5/5 stars, no notes.

Hmm should I slot this in by shaving the basic forests/pathways, or replacing some of the duplicate gates... Also a gate where you pay life is balanced by Ravnica's Plaza of Harmony where you gain life for having gates. It's like poetry it rhymes

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Here's that white lord

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Here's that white lord

Sorry, White.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Here's that white lord

ew

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

geez that's comical.

That Merfolk would be busted even w/o Flash, and effectively taxes every card your opponent is going to play. The green lord turns every elf into card advantage on cheap.

...the white one does little until it dies and then just pumps your guys once, hope you played one or two. It's puzzling unless the designer was told White couldn't be good.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Me seeing the elf and merfolk lords -> me seeing the white lord

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Here's that white lord

What a waste. They didn't even give it an ability in line with the other lords. Could've done something like:

"If a creature you control would die, you may pay 2. If you do, instead exile it then return that card to the battlefield under your control at the beginning of your next end step."

Or

"Creatures you control have 'Ward - This creature's controller draws a card'."

White isn't exactly bad right now but very disappointing compared to the other lords in this set.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
White gets a 1W 2/3 lifelinker that can 1B kicker to etb gravedig, I think it's in a fine shape in that set. Said card's not a soldier admittedly

There's excellent cheap Soldiers in Baldur's Gate as well so I'd play this dude in Alchemy no problem

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Here's that white lord

what the gently caress is this horseshit

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Merfolk gang rise up

Thats going to be standard legal when the new ixalan set is legal right?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I was not expecting exile naturalize with upside. This is already the best version of this effect without the kicker, and the kicker makes it insane. What a fuckin card.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Leyline binding ain't bad, in a 2 color deck it's Cast Out without cycling and it gets better in decks with more colors. 3 colors makes it banishing light with flash.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Wylie Beckert is an outstanding artist

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I love Rivaz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

The Shortest Path posted:

Leyline binding ain't bad, in a 2 color deck it's Cast Out without cycling and it gets better in decks with more colors. 3 colors makes it banishing light with flash.

Also fun for enigmatic incarnation