Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

AvesPKS posted:

Wait, does this mean every single human is now legally defined as a point source for air pollution?

No. The Clean Air Act gives the EPA significant authority to regulate stuff that produces airborne pollutants. But, it was written 52 years ago and doesn't specifically mention CO2 or greenhouse gases as "pollutants."

The EPA under Obama and Biden defined CO2 and Greenhouse gases as "pollutants" and regulated them the same way and under the same authority within the Clean Air Act as all the other listed pollutants.

Some coal producers and West Virginia sued saying the EPA was going beyond their authority because the clean air act never mentions CO2 as a pollutant and nobody considered it one when they wrote it. The Supreme Court ruled in their favor and said "EPA can't regulate greenhouse gases because the Clean Air Act says nothing about them. Also, in the future, the EPA needs specific authorization to regulate things. They can't just use old authorizations with open definitions and add things to those definitions. Congress needs to give them explicit directives to regulate something."

The IRA changed the definition of pollution under the Clean Air Act to include CO2, which is basically "doing what the Supreme Court said to do" and sidesteps a large chunk of the ruling (for CO2/greenhouse gases specifically, but the EPA still has its ability act unilaterally on other things reduced).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Yeah, it’s this. Nobody leaked the fact that it contained nuclear secrets specifically, and nobody in government has acknowledged that fact, but there’s a special classification category under the Atomic Energy Act that’s used for nuclear secrets and not much else, so once the types of classifications in the affidavit were leaked, a reporter read between the lines and went “holy poo poo!”

And one of the documents under that classification took the FBI weeks to even verify that it existed because so few people knew about it and there were no records of it that anyone could search without approval from the President or about 7 other people. So, it was definitely not a "common knowledge" thing or something that was recorded under "normal" nuclear secret rules that would be in a military, Department of Energy, or White House archive/records list with all the other "normal" nuclear secrets.

projecthalaxy posted:

It's hard to quiet the conspiracy brain/ "clancyposting" on this for me. Like you said It's very different than his normal.behavior that what my brain decides is he had [putin/mbs/soros/etc] in his ear going get me this this this but if he did that he'd probably have already given it to them? And if you were just getting cool stuff to show your friends you wouldn't get like blueprints and intel records you'd get like what really happened to kennedy or their FBI dossiers.

Its weird.

Yeah, that's the weird part. There's no evidence he tried to sell them or give them to anyone. But, he went through a ridiculously long, secret, and elaborate process that he personally oversaw (which he never did with any other project) to pick these 700 pages out of tens of thousands. Went through all the effort of covering it up and lying about it; and then just... kept them in his closet for 1.5 years? And he took stuff all the way up to "nuclear secrets that less than 10 people knew about" and all the way down to "memos and personnel files that aren't a huge deal, but are supposed to go to the National Archives."

Why does he care so much about "Information re: The French President" or "documents regarding radio technology" that he hid it when they came to search and lied about it?

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Aug 24, 2022

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

AvesPKS posted:

Wait, does this mean every single human is now legally defined as a point source for air pollution?

not unless that human is burning fossil fuels in their lungs, which likely means they are rapidly going to become an ex-human

it defines carbon dioxide "caused by burning fossil fuels" as air pollution, that qualifier eliminates those sort of issues

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My current theory is that Trump was going to pass nuclear stuff to the Saudis, probably through Kushner who is BFFs with MBS

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

evilweasel posted:

not unless that human is burning fossil fuels in their lungs, which likely means they are rapidly going to become an ex-human

it defines carbon dioxide "caused by burning fossil fuels" as air pollution, that qualifier eliminates those sort of issues

Fair enough, my mistake for not reading enough in depth.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Yeah, that's the weird part. There's no evidence he tried to sell them or give them to anyone. But, he went through a ridiculously long, secret, and elaborate process that he personally oversaw (which he never did with any other project) to pick these 700 pages out of tens of thousands. Went through all the effort of covering it up and lying about it; and then just... kept them in his closet for 1.5 years? And he took stuff all the way up to "nuclear secrets that less than 10 people knew about" and all the way down to "memos and personnel files that aren't a huge deal, but are supposed to go to the National Archives."

Why does he care so much about "Information re: The French President" or "documents regarding radio technology" that he hid it when they came to search and lied about it?

My theory is that he has for most of his life just sort of collected things that could be useful leverage in the future - mostly stuff to be used as effectively blackmail or the like, but generally just stockpiling things that might be useful in the future. What he was doing here was the same thing - not so much keeping documents he had a direct plan for, but just generally keeping things he thought he might want in the future. I doubt there was a really well thought out plan for why any individual secret document might be useful, just a gut sense he might want it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I agree- he was trying to build a cache of valuable intel as an insurance policy/source of income but since he couldn’t or wouldn’t involve anyone else in picking them he just grabbed whatever his intuition told him was juicy and ended up with mostly crap

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nadler is better than Maloney, but the actual impact of their vote isn't going to be really significant.

I wonder why it was such a landslide, though.

My theory is that it's Patel. Patel has been running against Maloney in the primaries for the UES district for several election cycles and has never won, but has come close-ish. So when you merge the UWS (Nadler) and UES (Maloney) districts, you would think you get roughly 50% Nadler voters, 50% Maloney voters. But instead you had more like 50% Nadler voters, 30% Maloney voters, and 20% Patel voters. Patel got no traction with Nadler voters because the Nadler/Maloney thing got most of the attention in the race, but previous Patel voters stuck with him.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

evilweasel posted:

My theory is that it's Patel. Patel has been running against Maloney in the primaries for the UES district for several election cycles and has never won, but has come close-ish. So when you merge the UWS (Nadler) and UES (Maloney) districts, you would think you get roughly 50% Nadler voters, 50% Maloney voters. But instead you had more like 50% Nadler voters, 30% Maloney voters, and 20% Patel voters. Patel got no traction with Nadler voters because the Nadler/Maloney thing got most of the attention in the race, but previous Patel voters stuck with him.

I'm not pretending to represent any mass trend, but I had been voting for Patel for the last couple of primaries because I really don't care for Maloney and I went straight to Nadler with this current primary. I think Maloney just didn't campaign as well and Nadler had a lot more anti-Trump visibility because of his role on the House Judiciary Committee.

Patel seems unlucky in that he is constantly running against some very entrenched incumbent. He's a little bit of an empty suit too. He has been constantly trying to tout himself as an Obama protege and I'm not sure how far that gets you in this particular district.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

evilweasel posted:

My theory is that he has for most of his life just sort of collected things that could be useful leverage in the future - mostly stuff to be used as effectively blackmail or the like, but generally just stockpiling things that might be useful in the future. What he was doing here was the same thing - not so much keeping documents he had a direct plan for, but just generally keeping things he thought he might want in the future. I doubt there was a really well thought out plan for why any individual secret document might be useful, just a gut sense he might want it.

I'm suspecting that at the very least, some of the documents were meant for Putin, and for whatever reason, Trump sat on them for a year (how long was he focusing on the "The election was stolen from me"? I know he still claims that, but for awhile that was all he was focusing on) and then Putin started a war that was expected to last, what, a week? And is still grinding on 6 monthes later.

I could easily see Trumps plan be: Overturn Election, if that fails, flee Accept Putin's invitation to move to Russia and sell top secret documents to dictators, die surrounded by women and piss Big Macs.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Apparently, today is student loan announcement day.

The DOE put out a statement today (this is not the student loan announcement that Biden is making later today) that they have forgiven $10 billion in student loans for public service employees as part of the new revamped PSLF program they implemented earlier this year.

As part of this program, people can also consolidate all of their student loans into a single PSLF loan and retroactively count any public service jobs from 2007 to present.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1562439194844479488

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

This is objectionable good, right? I'm surprised at how they're making it easy to consolidate and how far back they're allowing for retroactive qualification.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Pure speculation, but it fits the the venn diagram of "Nuclear Secrets" and "Trophies from the Presidency": Trump stole the real nuclear launch procedures, the one that details how he needs to kill someone to get the code or lays out the procedure implemented by Nixon to ensure the president isn't drunk or insane when he gives the order.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Randalor posted:

This is objectionable good, right? I'm surprised at how they're making it easy to consolidate and how far back they're allowing for retroactive qualification.

Yeah, if you are working in a charity, public sector, non-profit, or other qualifying job.

I think the idea was to partially "make up" for the confusion of the program under Bush and Obama and the outright sabotage under Trump where they denied 99% of applications.

PSLF is especially sweet if you become a non-profit/government lawyer or doctor.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

CNN finally confirming the reporting on the "bonus" forgiveness for people with Pell Grants or low-income FAFSA aid.

They also give a figure: It's $20,000 forgiven that group. $10k baseline + a "bonus" $10k.

CNN source doesn't say if there is any other qualifying group outside of Pell Grants or FAFSA low-income aid. Some other reporting said there would be other "subsections of the population" included, but never specified.

https://twitter.com/lbarronlopez/status/1562442752289574912

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 24, 2022

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

CNN finally confirming the reporting on the "bonus" forgiveness for people with Pell Grants or low-income FAFSA aid.

They also give a figure: It's $20,000 forgiven that group. $10k baseline + a "bonus" $10k.

CNN source doesn't say if there is any other qualifying group outside of Pell Grants or FAFSA low-income aid. Some other reporting said there would be other "subsections of the population" included, but never specified.

https://twitter.com/lbarronlopez/status/1562442752289574912

Pell grant thing would get rid of all ours.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Randalor posted:

Yes, it's unquestionably good that GWB's PSLF program is helping people escape debt.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lib and let die posted:

Yes, it's unquestionably good that GWB's PSLF program is helping people escape debt.

This is from the revamp they started 10 months ago and wouldn't apply to people under the original PSLF rules.

Under the old rules, only a small amount of people qualified and they forgave about $4 billion in debt over the 15 years of the program (mostly for teachers). This is the new program and was started 10 months ago and has already forgiven a little over $10 billion. So, it is a pretty significant difference for non-teachers.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

This is from the revamp they started 10 months ago and wouldn't apply to people under the original PSLF rules.

Under the old rules, only a small amount of people qualified and they forgave about $4 billion in debt over the 15 years of the program (mostly for teachers). This is the new program and was started 10 months ago and has already forgiven a little over $10 billion. So, it is a pretty significant difference for non-teachers.

Can a program that didn't exist be revamped?

If PSLF wasn't in place, would Biden and the current administration created it?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

This will be massively significant or not that huge a deal for current borrowers depending on how this is implemented/who can get it. More likely, it is going to be a hugely good thing for future borrowers with a minimal impact on current borrowers.

This sounds like his campaign policy where your payments for all loans were capped at 5% of your discretionary income above $25k, which would make most payments ~$30 to $40, make them 0 for anyone making less than ~$30k, and cut them in half on average.

The campaign plan turned all existing loans into these new loans, but it's not clear if he can do that unilaterally or if that is the plan here.

https://twitter.com/mstratford/status/1562444170123304961

Lib and let die posted:

Paul Ryan's Medicare reform plan still left the program called Medicare.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

And one of the documents under that classification took the FBI weeks to even verify that it existed because so few people knew about it and there were no records of it that anyone could search without approval from the President or about 7 other people. So, it was definitely not a "common knowledge" thing or something that was recorded under "normal" nuclear secret rules that would be in a military, Department of Energy, or White House archive/records list with all the other "normal" nuclear secrets.

God, to be a fly on the wall when they finally reached one of those folks with that clearance, and that person realized what they were being asked about.

Almost a, “now I have to kill you” moment

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Those of us with Navient loans are left behind.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

This will be massively significant or not that huge a deal for current borrowers depending on how this is implemented/who can get it. More likely, it is going to be a hugely good thing for future borrowers with a minimal impact on current borrowers.

This sounds like his campaign policy where your payments for all loans were capped at 5% of your discretionary income above $25k, which would make most payments ~$30 to $40, make them 0 for anyone making less than ~$30k, and cut them in half on average.

The campaign plan turned all existing loans into these new loans, but it's not clear if he can do that unilaterally or if that is the plan here.

https://twitter.com/mstratford/status/1562444170123304961

Paul Ryan's Medicare reform plan still left the program called Medicare.

Any word on when this is going into effect?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

theCalamity posted:

i imagine we'll get more details at/after the announcement

that said, you can bet that the biden administration will move heaven and earth to make sure the debt relief goes out before November because, well, the obvious reason

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

theCalamity posted:

Politico's reporting on a DOE document says they are going to start the automatic forgiveness shortly after the announcement and expect to have most of the people whose income is already on file with the DOE, filed taxes in 2021, or filed a FAFSA form in 2021 get the forgiveness within 45 days and all of it done within 90 days. No official word on it yet, though.

No info about the new loan type at all is public yet.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

According to a DOE fact sheet, about 34% of undergrads get a Pell Grant. But, it's not clear exactly how many of them still have loans or get loans in the first place.

They do show that Pell Grant recipients have more debt on average. They also don't break out the difference between Pell grant recipients and other FAFSA eligible aid recipients.

But, based on that, the number of people who get the $20k will be a little higher than 35% of borrowers, the people getting $10k would be about 63% of borrowers, and about 2% of borrowers get nothing (due to the income cap).

Depending on what the FAFSA qualification is, that 35% could be a little higher and closer to 40%.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

It's all weird and hard to parse out what the actual goal was with the limited public info we have. But, the new information just makes it all stranger.

There is a simple straightforward explanation.

He’s a foreign asset.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Lib and let die posted:

What even is this question? Biden using PSLF to its full extent is now a bad thing? Who cares who created it? This seems like a lot of bothsidings to just not give credit to Biden.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Bar Ran Dun posted:

There is a simple straightforward explanation.

He’s a foreign asset.

That's not totally impossible. But, there isn't any public evidence that he tried to give it to or sell it to anyone.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I was talking to my brother about the student loan thing. A blessing for some but still, 2/3's of student loan holders owe more than that 10k.

I was fortunate enough to not have that much and use my work bonuses for a few years to completely pay mine off. I literally jumped for joy on that final lump sum payment.

What kills me is my brother is a government employee (Forestry Service) and has 70k in student loans. He says this won't even make a dent for him. Instead of taking 20 years to pay off it will now take 17.

Someone said it best, if they can do 10k they can do it all.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Beastie posted:

I was talking to my brother about the student loan thing. A blessing for some but still, 2/3's of student loan holders owe more than that 10k.

I was fortunate enough to not have that much and use my work bonuses for a few years to completely pay mine off. I literally jumped for joy on that final lump sum payment.

What kills me is my brother is a government employee (Forestry Service) and has 70k in student loans. He says this won't even make a dent for him. Instead of taking 20 years to pay off it will now take 17.

He's not eligible for PSLF?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Beastie posted:

If your brother is a government employee, why isn't he enroll(ed/ing) in PSLF?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

Yeah that's my sense also, exactly. These are likely all things that someone else had to show to him at some point or other and once brought to his attention he thought "that's cool, I want that" and he kept it the way he'd keep a copy of a flattering magazine article.

My dad used to keep a whole library of old magazine articles he saved for random reasons. It's just that dumb pre-boomer habit of saving newspaper clippings but with classified documents and blackmail material.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 24, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Beastie posted:

How long has he been working for the government or other non-profit jobs? He likely could have it all forgiven in 0 to 9 years depending on how long he has been working there if he enrolled in PSLF.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Beastie posted:

I'm surprised 1/3 have 10k or less

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Mooseontheloose posted:

What even is this question? Biden using PSLF to its full extent is now a bad thing? Who cares who created it? This seems like a lot of bothsidings to just not give credit to Biden.

No, I think it's wonderful that he found a way to expand upon the groundwork of GWB's PSLF.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

The IRA changed the definition of pollution under the Clean Air Act to include CO2, which is basically "doing what the Supreme Court said to do" and sidesteps a large chunk of the ruling (for CO2/greenhouse gases specifically, but the EPA still has its ability act unilaterally on other things reduced).

How does a new bill change the language of a previous law? Can Congress do this for any law, then?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

small butter posted:

How does a new bill change the language of a previous law? Can Congress do this for any law, then?

Yeah, most laws that change something add or edit to an existing law.

The actual legislative text looks like this:

quote:

amends section G.III of the Clean Air Act to define “greenhouse gas” as encompassing “the air pollutants carbon dioxide, hydrofluorocarbons, methane, nitrous oxide, perfluorocarbons, and sulfur hexafluoride.”

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Lib and let die posted:

No, I think it's wonderful that he found a way to expand upon the groundwork of GWB's PSLF.

This is weird. Why do you need to keep putting Bush before the PSLF? Everybody knows Biden didn't create it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

BonoMan posted:

This is weird. Why do you need to keep putting Bush before the PSLF? Everybody knows Biden didn't create it.

I'm not sure I understand your concern - or rather, how it's relevant.

Biden ran on a platform of being The Republican Whisperer, and he's shown - impressively, might I add - that he's both willing and able to use the framework left to him by previous Republican administrations to do so whether it be for student loan debt forgiveness or for completion of the border wall. It's noteworthy that he is living up to his promise to work with Republicans, don't you think?