Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

ijyt posted:

Yes I know what the difference between ATX, mATX, and ITX is and I went through that with him, he doesn't want an ITX build because SFF sized stuff tends to be at more of a premium and he doesn't particularly care for a smaller case that sits on a desk.

Might as well get a ~40L ATX mid tower then, there's a bunch of good ones to pick from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

ijyt posted:

What's some good mATX cases to look for? Looking to get the boyfriend a more airflow friendly case. I'll be avoiding bottom intake due to pets and carpets. Looking for full-size GPU support, good airflow, as compact as possible without sacrificing too much 3.5" and 2.5" drive space.

I just helped my nephew build in the Fractal Pop Mini Air, here's my post from the main building thread:

Butterfly Valley posted:

Supervised my nephew's build the other day and it went pretty painlessly, successfully booting first time. The Fractal Pop Mini Air is a decent enough case with a slightly cheaper feel than I would have hoped, with the thumbscrews to hold the side panel in being very tight and tough to screw in and out by hand. Some paint also stripped screwing in the PSU. Otherwise tons of extra space and storage capacity, clear instructions, 3 RGB fans and a decent overall look imo.

I found installing the Arctic Freezer 34 esports duo easy enough - quite a few steps to go through, but none of them particularly complicated or tricky. I followed CoolCab's advice and clipped the fans on before putting it in the case which was definitely the best way round to do it, except then my nephew noticed some plastic film to peel off the fans which necessitated removing one of the fans and replacing it while it was in the case, which I managed to do without bending the clips.

It was my first time installing an LGA CPU and it definitely felt a little more nerve wracking with the amount of force required to close the socket arm compared to AM4.

He needs a better monitor now as his current one is a 1080p 75hz thing he picked up in a sale a while back without my advice.

Bonus cat help.

Something else: XMP said it was enabled by default but the RAM wasn't running at the speed it should have been - the old classic of turning XMP off and on again made it work as it should.

TwoDeer
Jan 13, 2005

VulgarandStupid posted:

No one is forcing you to put fans there. Also the case can be inverted by swapping top and bottom panels if need be. You can do side intake while inverted and fans on top.

Indeed — I have two of them and have done pretty much every configuration with them. They are highly versatile.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

ijyt posted:

Yes I know what the difference between ATX, mATX, and ITX is and I went through that with him, he doesn't want an ITX build because SFF sized stuff tends to be at more of a premium and he doesn't particularly care for a smaller case that sits on a desk.

Just checking! In that case i’ll double down on my fractal design recs of the define mini or meshify mini. They’re more compact tower than SFF but they hit everything else on your list in a decently small footprint for a floor-standing case, you’ll never have any compatibility problems, they’re great to build in, and - since you have pets and carpet - all the intakes are filtered, and the filters are very easy to clean. Meshify has better airflow while Define trades some airflow for noise-dampening foam on every interior surface.

I’d also look at the matx motherboard situation very closely before pulling the trigger, though. There’s a compact atx model in both lines that has the same footprint and three inches more height, but full atx compatibility means you’re not restricted to the handful of matx motherboards released for a modern socket.

To compare dimensions to something like that SAMA: the sama is 391 x 185 x 303mm (L x W x H), while the meshify 2 mini is 396 x 205 x 406 mm. So you’re shaving almost nothing off the length, about an inch off the width, and four inches off the top, where you probably won’t care if it’s going under a desk. And for that you get worse airflow and fewer features, though the sama is admittedly cheaper.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Working on watercooling an Hyte Revolt 3. The connection from the gpu to the cpu is gonna be tough.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
What do people think of the Sliger Cerberus X design where the PSU can go either on the front or above the motherboard? It'd be nice to have the fans in front for airflow but that means putting the PSU on the back, which blocks a lot of airflow around the motherboard (even with an AIO there's still other components). It also looks like most people do fans on intake on the bottom.

Seems like a SFX PSU is a good idea, if you can live with the capacity constraints that entails? There's less downside in either placement with a smaller PSU. Are the Corsair Platinums still the way to go?

this looked like more or less the most reasonable (non-showpiece) build:

Maybe use louver plates in the bottom pcie slot covers, and put some fans on top or in the front? That front being open through the framework there is going to lose a lot of static pressure, if you're trying to do positive-pressure... or maybe that's the point and they're trying to "duct" the gpu exhaust out the front? In that case maybe some fans on top too, and lose the dinky atx panel fan and replace it with a louver panel, so you've got two positive-pressure areas coming from top and bottom...

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
So after posting in the PC build thread and getting some feedback for a potential NR200 build I realized that it's a 6L increase from my RVZ-02B. I'm thinking it's gonna be way bigger than what I want, so now I'm leaning towards the FormD T1 or something in that 10-12L range. I've updated my parts spec if anyone has any experience with this case I'd love some feedback. I've done some general googling but I trust ya'll more than some randos.

Am I still in air-coolable territory at this point? Am I just being stubborn by not going for an AIO setup? I think the most intensive use case (outside of some CPU heavy work use) I have planned beyond 1440/60 gaming is DCS in VR which may or may not happen.

Also any other ideas on cases would be welcome as it looks like some of the FormD stuff like the USB-C IO kit is OOS anyways, and I would like at least some form of front IO.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700 2.1 GHz 12-Core Processor ($342.98 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12S 55.44 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B660-I GAMING WIFI Mini ITX LGA1700 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL36 Memory ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($198.33 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 GB XC3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($652.05 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair SF750 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 PST 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fans 5-Pack ($30.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1799.27
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-08-23 23:21 EDT-0400

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
How would you guys rate this prebuilt?

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00119619

I am feeling the case - I don't think I've seen many other tall ITX that are so flashy. Plus it's got USB right where I'd want it

I think specs wise it could do hotter - I'd rather put a 3070 in there to go with the i7. Not a fan of no igpu either. I'm happy with DDR4 for now, but I've had RAM trauma since the days of autoexec.bat and would want 32gb.

So obviously I've sold myself on not getting it, just curious what kind of cost-value you think it might offer

edit: price is $CA

Cool Kids Club Soda fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Aug 24, 2022

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

The case and PSU is all proprietary, and the wattage on the PSU is cutting it pretty close. Probably not the best airflow either. I think you could build what you’re really hoping for for a bit more or similar for a bit less. Either approach to a DIY build would be significantly better than that I would wager. Here’s me messing around a bit:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700 2.1 GHz 12-Core Processor ($450.50 @ shopRBC)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock 2 Black CPU Cooler ($85.66 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: ASRock Z690M-ITX/ax Mini ITX LGA1700 Motherboard ($230.86 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($72.98 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN570 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card ($829.00 @ Canada Computers)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR200 Mini ITX Desktop Case ($106.57 @ Amazon Canada)
Power Supply: Corsair SF750 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($199.95 @ Vuugo) I
Total: $2080.51
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-08-24 08:28 EDT-0400

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
There’s no real point to a Z motherboard without a K processor to go with it. Otherwise that build looks solid.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

How would you guys rate this prebuilt?

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00119619

I am feeling the case - I don't think I've seen many other tall ITX that are so flashy. Plus it's got USB right where I'd want it

I think specs wise it could do hotter - I'd rather put a 3070 in there to go with the i7. Not a fan of no igpu either. I'm happy with DDR4 for now, but I've had RAM trauma since the days of autoexec.bat and would want 32gb.

So obviously I've sold myself on not getting it, just curious what kind of cost-value you think it might offer

edit: price is $CA

It's going to be loud, that 12700f won't ever turbo and the GPU will be fairly toasty. There's not too many options for console style cases that will let you pack that much performance without drawbacks though.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
That 500w PSU - yikes. Totally missed that one

edit: actually, good chance to ask, is a Platinum PSU worth the price over Gold if you're someone who leaves the computer on almost all the time?

Cool Kids Club Soda fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 24, 2022

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

You like higher or lower bills?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I am sorry if I turn this into a derail since I know micro ATX isn't really SFF anymore in most cases.

But I disagree with the statement that micro ATX isn't useful. It cuts off a good chunk from the mainboard and the cases in particular are a really good blend between functionality and size. This will depend heavily on how you use it though. My cmopouter stands on my desk, and a functional shape is really useful there.

If I want a full size ATX board, my only options at this moment seem to be mid towers (too tall for me) or huge cubes, which are too tall and too wide. I have a fractal node 804 at the moment. It's low enough that I can still comfortably put things on it if my work space gets cluttered. And while it is a little wide, it is compatible full size PSUs and GPUs and the build process is a breeze.

That all being said -- next year I'm looking towards some hardware upgrades. Are there any rivals to the Fractal Define Node 804 right now that give similar usefulness in a slightly smaller package? I don't need drive bays, for instance.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

edit: actually, good chance to ask, is a Platinum PSU worth the price over Gold if you're someone who leaves the computer on almost all the time?

If it is idling most of the day, assuming you leave the default power settings in place, it will likely make zero measurable difference.

80 plus Gold and Platinum testing doesn’t test below 20% of a PSUs rated load at all, and nearly all PSUs in the sub-10% load range are very lossy. Of course, in real terms, if your computer is only drawing 25w, losing an extra 8w isn’t really the end of the world.

Likely a better focus would be to get a good unit with a 10+ year warranty that you won’t want/have to replace with your next build. That would save significantly more money, energy, and raw resources in the long run, even if it is more costly now.

The calculus might be different if you are are running the thing Hogs Out 24/7 doing folding or something though.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Thanks all, the Define/Meshify, and Pop Air Mini's were pretty much the ones I gravitated too - that build post is handy too thanks! I'm still trying to convince him to go ITX to be honest, especially from a space saving POV.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Lord Stimperor posted:

I am sorry if I turn this into a derail since I know micro ATX isn't really SFF anymore in most cases.

But I disagree with the statement that micro ATX isn't useful. It cuts off a good chunk from the mainboard and the cases in particular are a really good blend between functionality and size. This will depend heavily on how you use it though. My cmopouter stands on my desk, and a functional shape is really useful there.

If I want a full size ATX board, my only options at this moment seem to be mid towers (too tall for me) or huge cubes, which are too tall and too wide. I have a fractal node 804 at the moment. It's low enough that I can still comfortably put things on it if my work space gets cluttered. And while it is a little wide, it is compatible full size PSUs and GPUs and the build process is a breeze.

What functionality would you be missing with a mITX board that mATX provides? If anything, the latter usually end up worse equipped because consumers view mATX more as a cost saving measure than a form factor.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Imo yes, especially for sff. The price difference is pretty minor now and maybe more important than the power savings, you get less heat in the case.

Arzachel posted:

What functionality would you be missing with a mITX board that mATX provides? If anything, the latter usually end up worse equipped because consumers view mATX more as a cost saving measure than a form factor.

this is it for me. If you do care about height, the difference between itx and matx is bigger than the difference between matx and atx, and you don’t pay any more or lose any functionality these days. if you don’t care about height there’s no reason to go matx.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

If we're talking about corsair gold vs platinum then the cost is worth it imo. The platinum sf have better braided cables and a better fan curve. If you're building itx you're already not going full budget build so you might as well splash out for the better unit.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Arzachel posted:

the use case I can see is a) you really like 3.5" drives so having a bigger-than mITX box is necessary, and or b) you need more than one PCI-E slot

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

hypnophant posted:

Imo yes, especially for sff. The price difference is pretty minor now and maybe more important than the power savings, you get less heat in the case.

While true, people should know what to expect for the price difference. At 100% full load, the difference between Gold and Plat is 2%. 87% minimum vs 89%. And most SFF case designs smartly dump the PSU heat outside of the case.

All things being equal, I wouldn't spend a lot extra for Plat vs Gold. If the specific Plat unit has other things that make it more worthwhile in the long term though, like warranty or cables or higher capacity which makes you incline to keep it longer, thats likely the better choice.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Cygni posted:

While true, people should know what to expect for the price difference. At 100% full load, the difference between Gold and Plat is 2%. 87% minimum vs 89%. And most SFF case designs smartly dump the PSU heat outside of the case.

All things being equal, I wouldn't spend a lot extra for Plat vs Gold. If the specific Plat unit has other things that make it more worthwhile in the long term though, like warranty or cables or higher capacity which makes you incline to keep it longer, thats likely the better choice.

Going from 13% efficiency to 11% equals a 15% reduction in the energy consumption, and heat output, of the psu specifically (at full load ofc). It’s admittedly not a large change in the output of the complete system, but it’s a significant difference in the specific component. You can decide what that’s worth to you but imo it is well worth the $10 or $20 difference most brands seem to charge

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Helps that the Corsair platinum SFX specifically is considered to be a very good PSU

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
I didn't realize it's only about a $20 difference in a lot of places. I was all set up to bemoan wanting to look ahead in terms of energy prices & heat, but how it hasn't affected me enough to justify paying a premium on something more efficient and :capitalism:

That's a small enough difference in cost that, relative to a whole outlay, is pretty insignificant. Although people on a small enough budget that they need to seriously factor in electricity and air con bills are already going to be looking for the cheapest possible unit they can afford right now. Oh wait :capitalism:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Higher efficiency power supplies also tend to be quieter since they generate less heat, which is another benefit.

And many SFF cases don't dump the heat outside the case. You often see cases where the power supply is shoved wherever the case designers could fit it. For example, the recent Lian Li Q58 or the ever popular NR200. From the pc building thread:

That kind of PSU mount is not uncommon.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 24, 2022

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Fair enough. Again, I’m not saying they are worthless, I’m saying people should know what the value for their dollar really is. Small, is generally the answer. If it’s super cheap or there are other benefits, great! But the difference between gold and plat, all other things being equal, is very small.

If the choice is between $50 for a PSU with a plat instead of gold or the next step up on GPU, the GPU is going to be the better option in my book 9 times out of 10.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
I feel like anything over $25 difference starts hitting diminishing returns for value hard. That's before tax anyway, and I'd want to see some bigger numbers before I'd consider it a must have at those prices

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
For sff I think heat is more of a constraint than money for many people. Often there’s not any way to spend another $50 to get more power for less heat or noise in the same size of graphics card (extreme undervolting and underclocking or lowered power limits are a bit unpredictable). The people making the builds out there with a pair of standalone noctua fans aren’t going to resent getting 5-10W of efficiency savings with no tradeoffs besides the extra dollars literally being traded for it. Of course there’s no reason for any given person to follow the tastes of the market if they don’t match theirs, but the taste of the custom sff market does tend that way.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

For the most part once you are in SFF you are deliberately pursuing not-price-optimal outcomes.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Cygni posted:

Fair enough. Again, I’m not saying they are worthless, I’m saying people should know what the value for their dollar really is. Small, is generally the answer. If it’s super cheap or there are other benefits, great! But the difference between gold and plat, all other things being equal, is very small.

If the choice is between $50 for a PSU with a plat instead of gold or the next step up on GPU, the GPU is going to be the better option in my book 9 times out of 10.

The marginal benefit of $50 extra spent on gpu, which probably only buys you a small clock speed increase, is also very small. If your $50 or $20 can either save you a few watts (and an accompanying degree and a decibel or two) or buy you a handful of extra fps, for you that might be the gpu 9 out of 10 but it would probably be the efficiency for me

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Oop, found a contender for an mATX case. I think if mATX can provide more USB IO which he needs, I'll just go for that. ITX boards will undoubtedly be out of the budget.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Gaming-Cases/PRIME/ASUS-Prime-AP201-MicroATX-Case/

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Lian Li/SSUPD announced the "Meshroom S," the successor to the Meshilicious: https://www.ssupd.co/products/meshroom-s?variant=41860124180664

It appears to be much the same as the Meshilicious except with an extra fan/radiator rail (allowing up to 2x 280mm rads), tweaks to the motherboard standoffs for easier cable management, and extra pump mounting locations for custom loop water cooling. I don't think there are any other differences, so the Meshlicious design will still hold up for a normal AIO setup.

The "Meshroom D" was also mentioned in the press release, but no details were given other than it will be 14.97 liters (as opposed to the S's 14.93 liters) and it's coming soon.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

ssupd. meshlicious. and now the meshroom. how do they keep doing it folks

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Mushroom D

I wish there were more cases that did the more vertical height for a smaller desktop footprint thing. Like if the Sliger SV590 or the Meshilicious had ATX mobo support (as in grew taller) that'd be my dream case and be tall enough for a vertical 4x120 rad.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The Mushroom S already supports ATX boards.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Oh wow, you're right. I missed that detail. I wonder how that works.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Lian Li/SSUPD announced the "Meshroom S," the successor to the Meshilicious: https://www.ssupd.co/products/meshroom-s?variant=41860124180664

It appears to be much the same as the Meshilicious except with an extra fan/radiator rail (allowing up to 2x 280mm rads), tweaks to the motherboard standoffs for easier cable management, and extra pump mounting locations for custom loop water cooling. I don't think there are any other differences, so the Meshlicious design will still hold up for a normal AIO setup.

The "Meshroom D" was also mentioned in the press release, but no details were given other than it will be 14.97 liters (as opposed to the S's 14.93 liters) and it's coming soon.

The Meshroom D is a traditional layout case:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SSUPD/comments/vbm3r9/meshroom_d1_found_on_nonpublished_ssupd_page/

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Oh, so it's just an all-mesh NR200?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Oh, so it's just an all-mesh NR200?

So it appears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

from reddit:

quote:

W360 designed and named the Meshlicious for SSUPD and allegedly SSUPD didn't pay out the full compensation that was promised. As a result W360 ended the partnership and filed a lawsuit against them.

So now W360 is making a Meshlicious II (I guess W360 retained the name rights) with Streacom while SSUPD is making their own v2 called the Meshroom S.

This is also why the NCase M1 was discontinued. W360 is one of the two founders of NCase, which Lian Li manufacturers. Given the lawsuit with SSUPD, which is very closely tied to Lian Li, they felt placing another production order would be risky.
Well, I guess that explains some things. Geez.