Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Pretty neat having dead island's 2 reveal be a player as bored of the game their in as we are of genre

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I've played several games by devs who use subtext and they're all cowards

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

The 7th Guest posted:

Honkai Star Rail (Hoyoverse) - New game by the Genshin dev, we last saw a CG trailer of this at SGF. We get more story cutscenes here. Apparently there is a literal star rail, a train warping across the stars. No gameplay, wah wah.
A tactical RPG featuring a train that flies through space. drat, they got me!

repiv posted:

alan wake, waking up and turning to the camera, "that really was an alan wakes american nightmare"
lmao

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

TeaJay posted:

I'm in the mood for a side-scroller/action-adventure game. Any opinions on Grime ?

it's very good op. but the bosses are quite difficult to beware.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

What the gently caress, when did Telltale come back from the dead? Didn't they fold completely because they were up to their eyeballs in debt? Or is this one of those cases where someone just buys the name of an old company for cheap brand recognition and its actually just a completely new team. (I guess not completely since you said they brought the core crew back but surely not everyone or structured the same way?)

Does it even matter? Old Telltale ballooned so quickly after The Walking Dead and had so many projects going on at the same time for a while. I imagine besides the growth the employee turnover was also insane even before they died.

Also, the new Tales of the Borderlands seems entirely made by Gearbox, so I'm not expecting much from that.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

RBA Starblade posted:

Alan Wake is an extremely uninteresting character they should really give up on in favor of Visionary and Dreamweaver Garth Merenghi

They should! I, for one, refuse to play games about writers who haven't written more books than they've read

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

New Tales from Borderlands is gonna be a game made entirely out of the same stuff people mod out of Borderlands 3 completely.

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.

The 7th Guest posted:

Gamescom Opening Night Live recap

Everywhere: New IP announced from a new team (Build a Rocket Boy). Described as having been worked on already for five years. Honestly looks like some sort of large-form Tower Unite type project (I'm sure there will be Roblox comparisons as well). Emphasizing players 'creating their own stories'. UPDATE: Apparently the game is some NFT poo poo and the website itself is a crypto miner. Great curation Geoff, maybe you should have vetted this game first.

This game looks like the worst vaporware hogwash but the website is not doing anything nefarious?

singateco
Jan 28, 2013

beef express posted:

This game looks like the worst vaporware hogwash but the website is not doing anything nefarious?

The website thing sounds like a twitter user being dumb, but they are hiring blockchain developers for the game.

I need The Benz!!! (to make another NFT hellgame)

singateco fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Aug 24, 2022

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Need more laser focused awards for sponsors still

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mordja posted:

Boy, one thing about Star Wars: Squadrons I was not prepared for was the absolutely dogshit writing. Worst in class. Game's very mixed otherwise, some missions are decent, some are awful, and they definitely pale in comparison to Freespace's design. Never played Tie Fighter and its ilk so can't compare it to those.

The whole single player campaign is basically a really long tutorial for the multiplayer the game is actually about. It's cool in VR with a HOTAS though I wouldn't recommend spending several hundred dollars to play a 5 hour single player campaign.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah I figured that out after they make you play as an unarmed support ship in one particularly unfun mission. Great thinking on their part, considering the multiplayer assumedly has a double digit playerbase these days.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You are correct

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

The AI fleet battles are still pretty fun. Its where the game shines imo cause the singleplayer story was pretty meh overall

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Holy poo poo, how do you gently caress up a Xwing/Tie fighter game that bad? Is it just because nobody bought/uses it via steam and is playing on EA or whatever? I'd assume that even orig Tie Fighter could pul double digits, goddamn.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Aug 24, 2022

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's also been out for 2 years i think, lots of iterative big battle multiplayer game releases for people to move on to in that time

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Serephina posted:

Holy poo poo, how do you gently caress up a Xwing/Tie fighter game that bad? Is it just because nobody bought/uses it via steam and is playing on EA or whatever? I'd assume that even orig Tie Fighter could pul double digits, goddamn.

Squadrons is a really good game! They just didnt have 1+ years of dlc support planned so the multiplayer died after the last update. Still, its the best modern Star Wars spaceship sim(not a lot of competition here, i know) and a lot of effort and care was put into it. The AI battles are still really fun and visceral, just sucks that the mp is dead

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I enjoyed Squadrons a whole lot but it wasn't what I was hoping for in that kind of game. The actual gameplay was really good but everything around it was meh. Really needed that X-Wing/Tie Fighter thing of having structured missions with hidden secondary objectives and a sort of progression with medals and other rewards. Side stories too like in Tie Fighter and that dark force stuff.

EA kind of shipped the game out to die but despite that I think the developers were on to something good. Felt like a test run for a proper X-Wing game.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I didn't like the "drift" mechanic, it was pretty awkward while being 100% crucial to good play. I also didn't like how important switching your shields, blasters, and engine power was. Too much micro for me.

But again as a VR experience: superlative. Everything I thought video games would be in the future when I was 10.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is Dungeons 3 any good?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Serephina posted:

I think it's a miracle that the game made it out alive without getting cancelled, considering EA Motive's history.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Serephina posted:

Holy poo poo, how do you gently caress up a Xwing/Tie fighter game that bad?

After everything that came with X-Wing, TIE Fighter and Alliance, it's borderline criminal that they didn't bother with proper full-on campaigns and (!) an editor for player made scenarios/campaigns.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

As someone without a vr headset and got it for 8 bucks Squadrons was pretty ok but not good enough to finish

Lot of hitbox issues though. I kept exploding at random doing flybys

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

whatever you say, porkins

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah squadrons was a fun little multiplayer game but the singleplayer really sucked, too short and too much rogue squadron dna in there. Comparing the missions to the old Tie and X-wing games was pretty sad

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Jack Trades posted:

Is Dungeons 3 any good?

tl;dr: No.

Quoting myself:

quote:

Despite the current reviews sitting at "Overwhelmingly Positive", I'm going to throw my 2c in and share that Dungeons3 isn't the great modernised DK2 clone we all hoped it'd be. The graphics, UI, controls, and performance are all good and well, as is superficially the basics of a simple dungeon.

But after completing about 2/3rds of the campaign I threw my towel in over bad things that just kept getting worse. In ascending order:
-The humour. Everyone complains about it for good reason, and you still get far too much of it when silencing the narrator in the options. It's one thing to have a nudge and wink at the camera every now and then, but literally EVERY line is a hamming it up. It gets old by the second mission, but they never stop.
-The tech tree. Despite being most of the way through the game, the tech upgrades are still being trickled out slowly at one per mission. There's three very large trees (Undead, Deamons, Greenskins), that once you get the hang of the game you're still force to effectively grind the same mission over and over with half a new trick each time, speaking of grinding...
-The overworld. A newer twist on the older formula, you can grab all your dudes and shove them down a hole for them to appear on a second map, and walk around atk-moving everything. You can't pick people up and have a lot less control, and in general plays like a very slow and uninteresting RTS. Rubber-band select army, atk-move into a place, heal up and repeat a dozen times then do the same next mission. It's *very* un-fun and takes away from the DK genre's charm.
-The Economy. This is the big one and kind of the entire point of the genre imo. Dungeon keeper games where always built around managing your mooks happiness', balancing your gold outputs against the finite amount you have left, and trying to fit square rooms into unobliging maps. NONE of that exists anymore. The maps are always perfectly diggable, and you can put up new dirt if you want to - so you'll always have the perfect sandbox dungeon. The mooks' needs are irrelevant; sure, advanced creatures need advanced resources like eg beer, but none of that matters since they'll be living on the overworld waging war, and while on the overworld *all the creatures needs are automatically met*. As in, during payday the gold evaporates automagically from the treasury, no need for the creature to visit it. Same for advanced resources, and effectively the same for sleep. Once you've built the rooms, you never have to worry about your mooks daily habits. And lastly, the gold & economy. Effectively every drat map has an infinite-gold tile, usually several. There's another resource on the overworld, but that's also infinite. Yawn.

Basically every map is a very low pressure affair, letting you sandbox to your heart's content until you have a RTS deathball that can (very, very, slowly) roll everything in the overworld, never needing creature maintenance while giving you limited non-DK2 control of the blob. All the while getting gibbered at by that awful, awful humour. I quit when they gave me a level most of the way through the game where there was *no dungeon to keep*, just mooks atk-moving across the overworld. Dear lord why?

Superficially pretty game, but lacking the good mechanics and novel mission limitations that gave DK depth and fun. Not recommended.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Jack Trades posted:

Is Dungeons 3 any good?

Do you enjoy 10+ year old memes?

The gameplay was pretty mediocre from what I remember, but the writing was the thing that made me quit after 3 levels.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
As far as modern Dungeon Keeper clones go, I thought War for the Overworld was pretty competent.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Did I know I wanted Wind Waker Pro Skater? No. Am I glad someone made it anyway? Yes.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Mordja posted:

Yeah I figured that out after they make you play as an unarmed support ship in one particularly unfun mission. Great thinking on their part, considering the multiplayer assumedly has a double digit playerbase these days.

Double digit playerbase is pretty good for a fighting game

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i thought fighting games were extremely hot these days, is it just that there's one juggernaut that sucks up all the players in the room?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

i thought fighting games were extremely hot these days, is it just that there's one juggernaut that sucks up all the players in the room?

There are a few fighting games that reach the whole couple of thousands concurrent players on steam and everyone else gets a 100 at best.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

FishMcCool posted:

After everything that came with X-Wing, TIE Fighter and Alliance, it's borderline criminal that they didn't bother with proper full-on campaigns and (!) an editor for player made scenarios/campaigns.

i know it'll never happen but seeing remasters of these'd make my day (monkey's paw finger curls, the dev team is the one that did the new saint's row or that san andreas garbage)

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

is that just that most people are playing on consoles though? and do fighting games these days typically include crossplay? it just doesn't seem to square up that a dead genre would be generating gigantic sponsored esports tournaments and twitch streams every two weeks

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

although having already mentioned it with star wars squadrons i could see fighting games in particular falling prey to everyone jumping ship to whatever the new release is every other month

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Cowcaster posted:

is that just that most people are playing on consoles though? and do fighting games these days typically include crossplay? it just doesn't seem to square up that a dead genre would be generating gigantic sponsored esports tournaments and twitch streams every two weeks

And when there isn't a giant event those games never have any notable viewerships, I think esports (especially fighting games for a number of reasons) are just really popular.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hm.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

If a thing I dig is popular enough to get made that's good enough for me. My fav time for fighting games was the Dreamcast days, and nothing beats local play for me. SoulCalibur VI also rules.

Some of my fav comics sell say 4000 copies a month, I'm proud to be in the 4000. Well maybe 5000 or 6000 with digital sales etc.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Some fighting games sell decently (mostly NRS games). Almost no fighting games have online playerbases, and there's certainly never been one that you could call significant. Making the netcode better hasn't/won't really change this, because no one actually wants to play fighting games. I could go on and on about why, but I don't think this thread is the place to piss off every fighting game player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Cowcaster posted:

The big ones like Tekken 7 and Guilty Gear maintain pretty consistent high online player bases. I feel like when a smaller game is in the range of just a few hundred players, though, the easy thing to miss is that those few hundred players probably play it a lot