Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Are the French going to be mad that we're edging in on their imaginary bomber contracts with Australia? Brandon better get ready to apologize to de Gaulle or whomever he thinks the president of France is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

palindrome posted:

Are the French going to be mad that we're edging in on their imaginary bomber contracts with Australia? Brandon better get ready to apologize to de Gaulle or whomever he thinks the president of France is.
Everyone is extremely confused when Biden starts talking about the Corsican Ogre.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

im sure that another plane that only works against countries with no real air defences is exactly what the aussies need right now

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also the whole point of the b2/21 was preemptive nuclear strikes, unless the Aussies have a nuclear weapons program it is sort of useless unless they want to bomb the Solomon Islands with some flair.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

indigi posted:

I’m fairly certain I could drive a tank as good as an average soldier after about 3 hours of practice

it's not like you can really crash the thing. anything you hit is just destroyed, and the owner can talk to your machiene guns

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ardennes posted:

unless they want to bomb the Solomon Islands with some flair.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1562288820078673922

I did not realize the US had a base in Syria

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
isn't there rumblings of a deal between turkey and syria soon

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

crepeface posted:

the only “rumbling” is my tummy from eating an entire thing of hummus after forgetting to pack the beanzyme

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

the US might have as many as 10 or 11 bases in Syria

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

crepeface posted:

more serious, I just saw on tv the head of the great unification (?) party (büyük birlik partisi), which is allied to AKP, say *something* is in the works with the objective of sending Syrian refugees back to Syria. that’s a rumble

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

indigi posted:

I’m fairly certain I could drive a tank as good as an average soldier after about 3 hours of practice

they are meant to be driven by dipshit 19-year olds after all

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Ardennes posted:

Also the whole point of the b2/21 was preemptive nuclear strikes, unless the Aussies have a nuclear weapons program it is sort of useless unless they want to bomb the Solomon Islands with some flair.

It is tres modern.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Oh my God I just realized the B2 is shaped like a boomarang.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

fittingly enough as when you toss your b-2 at the enemy you’ll have something coming back

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/snekotron/status/1562535912428318722

the us army still only has stingers and patriots with bad track record for air defense right?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/snekotron/status/1562535912428318722

the us army still only has stingers and patriots with bad track record for air defense right?

As far as land based defenses go, yes, but the US Navy is better equipped. The problem is they would also be bombarded with waves of supersonic missiles while drones would be mostly used to soak up their air defense systems (CIWS systems are usually last resort). Also, Iranian cruise missile strikes have shown to be very effective.

Usually where Iran is weak is more conventional warfare specifically air superiority fighters and capital ships. I am kind of surprised the Iranians just don’t buy some old PLAN ships at this point as China continues to modernize. (Also, the Iranians eventually would probably be interested in buying the SU-75). That said, the Persian Gulf is going to be invariably controlled by the Iranians.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
the iranian navy has everything a navy needs unless it wants to land large amounts of troops somewhere

they have boats with asms, boats with sams, boats with 4.5 in guns and diesel electric subs

you don't actually need more than that unless you're trying to win the superpower olympics

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Ardennes posted:

As far as land based defenses go, yes, but the US Navy is better equipped. The problem is they would also be bombarded with waves of supersonic missiles while drones would be mostly used to soak up their air defense systems (CIWS systems are usually last resort). Also, Iranian cruise missile strikes have shown to be very effective.

Usually where Iran is weak is more conventional warfare specifically air superiority fighters and capital ships. I am kind of surprised the Iranians just don’t buy some old PLAN ships at this point as China continues to modernize. (Also, the Iranians eventually would probably be interested in buying the SU-75). That said, the Persian Gulf is going to be invariably controlled by the Iranians.

There were years when this wasn't true because Iran had F-14s armed with the Phoenix missile which would outrange anything else in the air; when the US retired the F-14 no other American fighter could carry that behemoth so any hypothetical air strike over Iran would've been dicey because US aircraft would be quite outranged. I don't think it's an issue any more since stealth fighters are a thing, although actually getting those in the air is a huge trial.

If you've never seen an F-14 in person, they are absolutely huge, twice as big as what you'd expect a fighter to be. 63 feet long.

edit: the Phoenix missile that only the F-14 could carry weighed over half a ton, had a range of over 100 miles, and went up to Mach 5, edging into hypersonic missile territory. It was a radar-guided missile, I would guess that part of the reason it was retired is that no other fighter had a radar big enough to track targets that far away. Also, if Wikipedia is to be believed, the only country to ever actually fire the Phoenix missile in anger was Iran, during their war with Iraq.

Filthy Hans has issued a correction as of 05:10 on Aug 26, 2022

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Filthy Hans posted:

edit: the Phoenix missile that only the F-14 could carry weighed over half a ton, had a range of over 100 miles, and went up to Mach 5, edging into hypersonic missile territory. It was a radar-guided missile, I would guess that part of the reason it was retired is that no other fighter had a radar big enough to track targets that far away. Also, if Wikipedia is to be believed, the only country to ever actually fire the Phoenix missile in anger was Iran, during their war with Iraq.

This is more of a theoretical range gap than a practical one, they are so huge they lose energy quickly and are not very effective past 50mi. Even down to 25mi or so you're going to need some luck or very high altitude for it to hit a properly trained pilot.

Pryor on Fire has issued a correction as of 05:43 on Aug 26, 2022

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
can iran make new ones? i think the Shahs old stockpiles are probably expired by now

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

iran has s-300s these days if they have to pot yankee planes

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

tomcat is cool

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
Iraq carried out multiple air strikes against Iranian cities while Iran was using the F-14 for air defense so obviously just having a range advantage by itself is not a guarantor of success, although it certainly helps

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

KomradeX posted:

Ukrainian Top Medic is about how best to cover up your tattoos in a Russian POW camp

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

can iran make new ones? i think the Shahs old stockpiles are probably expired by now

iirc they reverse-engineered a domestic version that was put into mass production some time ago

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
if the newest Top Gun is any indication those F-14s are still perfectly flyable and deadly

non-joke response: IIRC the Iranians were using the F-14s as makeshift AWACS at one time because they had the most powerful radars available in their arsenal

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/ComradeAmongus/status/1562835431460605953

quote:

KN-06 Surface to Air Missile - Toe the Line

Another obscure weapon thread 🧵🇰🇵
#DPRK

The KN-06 (Pon'gae-5) 번개 5호 Surface-to-Air missile is one of North Korea's best surface-to-air missiles, developed in the 2000s and in production since 2017. Initially shown during the 65th anniversary of the Workers’ Party of Korea on October 10, 2010.

The KN-06 did its first launch test in 2011 and did many tests again and again until 2017 when it underwent final testing. The DPRK's news agency reported that all glitches in its targeting system had been resolved and the missile was now ready to be put into mass production.

The missile diameter is estimated to be around half a meter, with the length being between 6.8 – 7.25 m. Albeit a bit shorter than the S-300P. The TEL is based on a locally produced, stretched variant of the KamAZ-55111 called the Taebaeksan 96.

It is reported that the missile has an absolute maximum range of 150km. The KN-06’s targeting radar closely resembles Russia’s 5N63 “Flap Lid” radar, an X-band, phased-array radar employed in the Russian S-300P air defense system.

It's estimated that a battery consists of one command post, one radar, and three to four TELs.
Very similar all around to the S-300P.

It is estimated that the DPRK Air Defense Forces have around 156 of these vehicles, and knowing that each TEL carries 3 missiles, this equates to 468 missiles. That's enough to knock out every single modern fighter jet of the ROKAF....except the F-35, of course.

Interestingly, US Air Force analysts have suspected that the missile could have included technologies from the S-400 since Russian involvement in the development of the missile is pretty clear.

The Pongae-5 either way is a very strong piece of North Korean equipment, bringing its air defense out of 1970s levels and establishing a proper air defense wall around the country. The only way to get past this wall of AD would be to use stealth jets like the F-35.

I don't know how the F-35 would be dealt with by the DPRK in case of a war. My guess is they would use ICBMs, possibly armed with frag munitions instead of nuclear ones, to destroy ROK air bases before the war even kicks in, and at least limit the capability of the ROKAF.

Though I suspect that the 2nd Korean war would be a life or death scenario for the North Korean people, and therefore, nothing would be held back.

With newer air defense systems being developed, the KN-06 is no longer the "best", but with the heavy production numbers claimed, it probably will remain a very active and long-lasting AD system for the DPRK.

https://t.co/aZVmoKeyza

In Juche news, it turns out they have a indigenous S-300 equivalent.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Danann posted:

They don't have to worry about the F-35, it'll knock itself out

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Filthy Hans posted:

If you've never seen an F-14 in person, they are absolutely huge, twice as big as what you'd expect a fighter to be. 63 feet long.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Filthy Hans posted:

There were years when this wasn't true because Iran had F-14s armed with the Phoenix missile which would outrange anything else in the air; when the US retired the F-14 no other American fighter could carry that behemoth so any hypothetical air strike over Iran would've been dicey because US aircraft would be quite outranged. I don't think it's an issue any more since stealth fighters are a thing, although actually getting those in the air is a huge trial.

Iran has more F-14s in service now because Russia and China helped them set up an aviation industry that can make parts. They’ve been taking airframes tens of hours on them out of cosmoline and essentially have brand new aircraft. Similarly, in the past ten years they’ve been able to not only start using the Phoenix again but make their own, put some nice Russian avionics in the F-14, it’s all really neat.

To be honest I believed a lot of the stuff about Iran but when they carry out projects like this, I think it shows a well directed state, military and industry. America, for reference, can’t make more F-22s because the tooling is broken up. Iran was able to build all of this infrastructure without the original plans. That’s really impressive.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

can’t shoot down the f-35 if it never takes off

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oops
https://twitter.com/UKDefJournal/status/1563883462465134594

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

That's nice that it broke down so quickly you can watch the tugboats push it back from the shoreline. Sounds like a pleasant day trip for the family.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Pryor on Fire posted:

That's nice that it broke down so quickly you can watch the tugboats push it back from the shoreline. Sounds like a pleasant day trip for the family.

wait what i like neoliberalism now????

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

It's how they're stealing the country's oil

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

paul_soccer12 posted:

It's how they're stealing the country's oil

the logistics of oil don’t work that way.

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

Bar Ran Dun posted:

the logistics of oil don’t work that way.

Controlling oil fields isn’t important to the logistics of owning oil?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Danann posted:

It is an interesting question of how North Korea would actually fare in a war at this point if they were able to secure their supply lines. While the DPRK would be completely defensive in the air with a largely obsolete Air Force, a large number of modern long range launchers would certainly help them contest it.

It seems like most of the offensive work then would be done by the large number of artillery and MRLS launchers have built up years which may actually give the South Koreans a ton of trouble especially if North Korea was able to play the attrition game.

It is an interesting scenario at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ardennes posted:

It is an interesting question of how North Korea would actually fare in a war at this point if they were able to secure their supply lines. While the DPRK would be completely defensive in the air with a largely obsolete Air Force, a large number of modern long range launchers would certainly help them contest it.

It seems like most of the offensive work then would be done by the large number of artillery and MRLS launchers have built up years which may actually give the South Koreans a ton of trouble especially if North Korea was able to play the attrition game.

It is an interesting scenario at this point.

south koreas entire population is within range of a massive network of north korean weapons. any hostility getting out of hand and the south is toast.