Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Is the DAC/Amp powered by the USB input? Could be dirty power if so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I wouldn't count on AM5 necessarily being as long-lasting as AM4. AMD made AM4 last as long as it did because they were coming from Bulldozer and they needed to provide a value-add, one of which was "you won't have to replace your motherboard every two generations" the way Intel does it.

Heck, they even tried to bisect AM4 at the A520 / B550 / X570 mark, if only public pressure hadn't gotten them to back down.

If you mean waiting six months, or one more release cycle from Zen 4, then yeah it'll probably be fine, but just not that AM5 is going to stay with us for... five generations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

repiv posted:

I imagine if you are the type of person that knows that that means, you likely won't be using the DAC and AMP (which are the same ICs as would normally be integrated onto the board, a Realtek 4050 and ESS Sabre 9260Q) anyway tbh.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I meant the last post on the last page, not that Asus ITX board

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

oh my b!!!

In other news, it does look like the ProArt X670E has a 10gig Marvell NIC. But the leaked prices for all these ASUS boards are all fuckin' insane, so I guess we will have to see if any of this is even worth considering.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

repiv posted:

dc voltage goes into capacitor. voltage clean.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

So six months ago I complained in this thread about getting a pair of Arctic 280mm CLC coolers that could not at all cool a 5900x. Arctic coolers are not really sealed in box, their bags are open. So Amazon being Amazon (though directly sold by arctic, probably amazon’s warehouse) and having good return policies but poor testing of returned product, I wonder if I just happened upon two that had this issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHdEqWpexH0

My 5800x3d build has a Lian li Galahad that is another one that GN recommends.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

LRADIKAL posted:

That's the idea, but a lot of audio gear isn't designed properly

IIRC some of the cheap Schiit DACs have wildly different output quality depending on the quality of the power coming in

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LRADIKAL posted:

What is “lies told in circuits I”

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cygni posted:

I guess my question in general is... why... do we need an X670E ITX board? I guess thats a lot of fast USB which is nice, but yeah.

Because lots of PC enthusiasts are idiots who want the "high-end" thing, even if the difference between an X670 and a B650 will be a non-factor in the ITX form-factor.

I mean Asus is also gonna be selling a X670E mobo for $1500, so like "why do we need ____" is a question you can ask a whole lot about Asus. The answer is that if you have a ton of money and not much brains, they're happy to help correct that ratio.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

What is “lies told in circuits I”
Huh?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cygni posted:

The Gene is back! Also the ITX board is insanely complex.

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1562096251155501057

https://edgeup.asus.com/2022/new-x670e-motherboards-arrive-from-rog-proart-and-asus-prime/

They replaced the sound board with the second X670 die, so where do you put the DAC and AMP? In a breakout box apparently. With a volume knob. And a BIOS reset button on it??

I guess my question in general is... why... do we need an X670E ITX board? I guess thats a lot of fast USB which is nice, but yeah. The formfactor seems to limit the X670E additions over the regular one die X670.

The naming is confusing, so to reiterate: regular X670 and X670E are both dual-die chipsets. The only difference between those two is the level of features supported. There's a requirement for a certain level of PCIe 5 support that enables you to use the X670E label. B650 is the single-die variant.

Packing in a separate dac/amp is a funny idea because those are almost universally going to be superior to onboard solutions anyway, but it's a completely useless accessory if you already have one.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The naming is confusing, so to reiterate: regular X670 and X670E are both dual-die chipsets. The only difference between those two is the level of features supported. There's a requirement for a certain level of PCIe 5 support that enables you to use the X670E label. B650 is the single-die variant.

Dang not sure how I missed that. I guess i just assumed the layout based on the rumors, and the official slides didn't actually state what the hell was going on, lol. This whole thing is kind of a mess, honestly.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

It's such a gross oversimplification that it's basically wrong. Like "Columbus discovered America, and was friends with the Indians, and the Pilgrims came and they were friends too, and they had Thanksgivings and everything was great!" they teach you in 3rd grade History class.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I thought that was the joke? I interpret all lower case as a CSPAM/YOSPOS shitpost. ;)

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

It's such a gross oversimplification that it's basically wrong. Like "Columbus discovered America, and was friends with the Indians, and the Pilgrims came and they were friends too, and they had Thanksgivings and everything was great!" they teach you in 3rd grade History class.

To ruin the joke: In a "normal" undergrad circuits class when you first encounter capacitors and inductors in circuits you are told to analyze something "under DC conditions". That means that the capacitor is an open circuit and the inductor is a short circuit. When "fully charged" both reactive components do basically behave that way. When you move on to what happens when conditions change you say the capacitor will provide whatever current is necessary to prevent an instantaneous change in voltage and an inductor will provide whatever voltage is necessary to prevent an instantaneous change in current.

Other lies embedded in this are that capacitors do not have a polarity and, well, look at the normal model of a "real" capacitor:

Actual capacitors have a tendency to not behave anything like ideal capacitors and gently caress analog circuits seriously this is why I write embedded software

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

repiv posted:

No, but they're on the same power strip which may be the culprit in the end. It's a Schiit Modius made in late 2021 which separates the microUSB power input from the microUSB signal as well. I know they've had different chips now due to supply chain issues in 2021 so I'm not sure if it's terribly comparable to the ESS ES9028 chip that's originally specced. The lower end Schiit stuff I was aware of some issues so I paid more and crossed my fingers and of course am screwed anyway. I'm just scratching my head wondering why the MacBook Pro's audio is fine when it has more things in between that could cause problems (it's going through a USB4 / Thunderbolt cable). The other reason why I'm thinking there's something fishy going on in desktop USB signal land is that with my previous motherboard I had zero problems when using Toslink / SPDIF.

So yeah, I've been going nuts over stupid interference in my equipment for multiple decades now trying to balance some convenience with quality, budget, and my personal sanity. I don't want to be that nutso with the $1k+ power conditioner but given how lovely the power lines in my house are (I have BX wiring and cloth in the walls and until the last owner there were some knob and tube circuits) I may be sorta forced to. Or move. Yeah, that's sounding like the right call given how much I've dumped into this house.

Edit: also, I don't know what the point of lying to kids to idealize circuit components is. It's not like there's a political motive... or is there?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

It's not a lie, it's a simplification to help build understanding. It's the same reason we don't teach kindergarten math starting with ZF

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It also, like say Newtonian gravity is fine for many purposes.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Newtonian gravity is a good comp. Generally, actual space missions are done with newtonian physics rather than relativity, because the little errors you make count far more than the difference in models.

Similarly, if all electrical engineering were done by the actual physics, approximately no things ever would have been designed. You do engineering with the level of precision necessary.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

kliras posted:

the mad aussies have done it again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI3gnFgvbV8

can't screenshot it right now for people in the thread though, but the 5800X3D does great. ddr5 helps the 12900K-6400 a bunch however

I got to get me one of those 5800X3Ds.

It's stomping all over my 3600.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I don't feel the upgrade bug right now and i'm not really in the market for a new "real" computer since I expect a 3900x to be enough CPU grunt for at least 5 more years of webshit, I just want a Mendocino system to play with even if it's one of those bespoke tinyboxes to see how much better/worse it is at gaming than my Athlon 3000g

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Why would you want an old timey Pentium 2-based Celeron for tha...

Oh :v:

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The instant you do a lab with a capacitor in EE you learn that they’re actually polarized. This probably does not inspire confidence in what we’re learning

VostokProgram posted:

It's not a lie, it's a simplification to help build understanding. It's the same reason we don't teach kindergarten math starting with ZF
In psychology I learned after the intro classes that basically the different “areas of the brain” responsible for different functions are 100% lies and even my professor didn’t know what the point of teaching students incorrect constructs and ideas like Brocha’s area are for because students have to unlearn them. A real capacitor having the kind of internal structure from above is kinda far fetched from the idealized one. Heck, when we talk about gates in digital logic people in CS got the wrong ideas and thought that overclocking is bad because “glitches” when real gates are much more complex and we have a ton of tolerance and error correction in reality that comes with having to have physical constructs of these idealized circuits. Like seriously half the software folks didn’t know that we normally assemble stuff using NAND and NOR rather than making them out of AND and OR “transistors.”

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I long ago wrote off the physics behind computing as "magic". Somewhere around the time where I learned things aren't just "on" or "off" but a spectrum.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Kibner posted:

things aren't just "on" or "off" but a spectrumeye diagram.

ftfy (props to Maire the hardware platform eng who taught my non-EE computer toucher self this)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

necrobobsledder posted:

The instant you do a lab with a capacitor in EE you learn that they’re actually polarized. This probably does not inspire confidence in what we’re learning

To be fair it is only some types. Still, it’s a bit of a surprise after doing labs with resistors that generally behave as expected until you melt them.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
The most goofy thing about ceramic caps that for some reason they don't teach right away is that applying a DC bias drops the capacitance below the nominal value and that this curve depends on package size etc so you really have to look at the datasheet.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Kibner posted:

I long ago wrote off the physics behind computing as "magic". Somewhere around the time where I learned things aren't just "on" or "off" but a spectrum.

Same, I want to know but where do you even start.

I always wanted to understand logic gates, like really understand how that actually works. I want to be able to visualize a logic gate and be all "oh yeah electron shoots down there makes perfect sense how that does all math if you have enough of them" but I just.... Don't. I don't understand it and don't know how hard it would be to understand/where to even go to understand that stuff.

Maybe it's not even hard but I am really not a math person.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I’m 100% certain that 90% of the people in my semiconductor physics classes didn’t actually know what the stuff was for. Like they tried to dive right in to saturation and calculations but at a basic level didn’t know what a transistor was used for even after passing the class

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

I’m 100% certain that 90% of the people in my semiconductor physics classes didn’t actually know what the stuff was for. Like they tried to dive right in to saturation and calculations but at a basic level didn’t know what a transistor was used for even after passing the class

Then normal sequencing at my school had semiconductor device physics before the class on diodes and transistors as circuit elements. Hell physics may have been a prereq. It seemed very strange.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

Then normal sequencing at my school had semiconductor device physics before the class on diodes and transistors as circuit elements. Hell physics may have been a prereq. It seemed very strange.

Yep. Right at the end of my second semiconductor physics class they switched to “ok so this thing that you’ve been staring at all quarter is just a switch with these inputs, now hook it up like this to form a nand gate, now use it in this circuit”. I’m very certain people would have had a much easier time had everything been done in reverse. And its not like all computer touched jobs require that specific knowledge so leading off with a “here is a dumb idealized version of this concept” wouldn’t have hurt anything

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Aug 25, 2022

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

As far as I'm concerned computers are just a wizard did it.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

This is the book that let me finally get how (late 1970s CMOS, but the fundamentals haven't changed yet) transistors work. I already understood Boolean logic, and logic gates are just truth tables embodied in circuitry, so grokking transistors was the key for me to understanding how you get from voltages to software. Conceptually, of course; I am not a CompE.

I don't think there's anything magical about this book. It just has really clear diagrams and takes a very stepwise approach to explaining things. It seems to be a little scarce these days, so if anyone has a more accessible resource, please do share.

Also, yeah, it was published under the Radio Shack banner, but it was actually written by staff at TI. Radio Shack was taken a lot more seriously back in 1978.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Thanks for the recommendation. Google immediately found a pdf scan, btw.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm sure it's on archive.org somewhere. Let me just check and—

https://twitter.com/internetarchive/status/1562637688918142976

gently caress

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

necrobobsledder posted:

I'm potentially interested in the mini ITX board except I'm skipping on Zen 4 until things have settled down a bit for both bugs and pricing and I have my own external DAC with headphone amp and I'm trying to figure out how the hell I'm getting interference on my USB audio out. It's definitely related to the motherboard because my MacBook Pro doesn't have any of the issues while two different motherboards on different platforms (my old X570 Asus WS board and this B660m board) have had substantially different noise characteristics. But AMD's said they're trying to have AM5 last a fairly long time at least so maybe it's worth grabbing early on and stretching out the board's life?

You likely have a ground loop somewhere. You can get a USB ground loop isolator or save the money and just tape over the ground pin on your usb cable.

e: assuming your device is already powered and you don't need the 5v

e2: come to think of it, even if it does you could put a resistor and a cap inline with the ground pin and fix it that way

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 25, 2022

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://videocardz.com/newz/gpd-win-4-is-a-modern-sony-psp-clone-with-amd-ryzen-7-6800u-cpu-and-physical-keyboard

....poo poo.

6800U w/ 8 Zen3+ cores and 12 RDNA2 CUs.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 25, 2022

Passburger
May 4, 2013

necrobobsledder posted:

I didn't know that Asus was watching the thread discussion about onboard sound and DACs...

I'm potentially interested in the mini ITX board except I'm skipping on Zen 4 until things have settled down a bit for both bugs and pricing and I have my own external DAC with headphone amp and I'm trying to figure out how the hell I'm getting interference on my USB audio out. It's definitely related to the motherboard because my MacBook Pro doesn't have any of the issues while two different motherboards on different platforms (my old X570 Asus WS board and this B660m board) have had substantially different noise characteristics. But AMD's said they're trying to have AM5 last a fairly long time at least so maybe it's worth grabbing early on and stretching out the board's life?

This might sound silly, but make sure you don't have any powerbricks close to the DAC, usb cable or the headphone cable. I had noise for the longest time and thought it was motherboard related, until I started moving things around, turns out it was a powerbrick from my monitor being too close to my xlr cable.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Long audio cables in general easily pick up interference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

6800U w/ 8 Zen3+ cores and 12 RDNA2 CUs.

They called the second Sony PSP the Ryzen N-Gage