Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
We have 2 cats that are both street rescues at later age, cat one was about 4 and cat two was 2 years old when we got her. They both seem happy to pretty much entirely ignore us throughout the day, which they spent most of hiding under various bits of furniture or hanging in their little cat corner. When the sun starts going down they come out and start prowling around, but don't really interact much with us. Cat two in particular always makes sure she's far away from me. We provide them with some toys, which they seem to enjoy playing with, in particular after we've gone to bed. At night, cat one will often position herself on an empty sofa, but never really approach us for contact. Sometimes when she's lying on the sofa I carefully approach her, let her sniff my hand, and then pet her a bit, and she does seem to enjoy it, lots of purring and contorting her body against my hand, but after half a minute of that she will usually get up, and move away from me.

I guess my question is, should I even try to give her attention when she's acting like this, or should I just completely ignore her?

As for cat two, I've sort of resigned myself to the fact that she's going to be wary of me forever, but I wonder if there are things I can do to make her life more interesting in our home. Luckily it seems cat 1 and 2 get along really well and spent much of the summer lying side by side in a little basket.

kanonvandekempen fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Aug 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
If she is receptive, go ahead with fuss. If she starts giving you "I'm done now" signs, like walking away, let her. So long as you're aware of your cat's cues, there's nothing wrong with interacting with them gently.

Do you play with them as well as leaving the toys out? You should definitely try that if you're not.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

We have a cat like your cat two, named Mini. Also a street rescue. We thought she was young enough to be socialized with humans but I think she was just small for her age and just a few weeks past the point where that was going to be possible. She'll approach my wife occasionally if the food or water bowl is empty. She'll be in the same room as me, but if I so much as stand up, she runs away. If any humans other than me and my wife are in the house, she stays completely hidden. She gets along really well with our male cat luckily, so she's not completely lonely. She has toys and food and water and an enclosed back yard so I guess it's a decent enough life but it's odd, I've never had a cat like that before.

Edit: Here's a picture of Mini with Andy, her good friend.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 17, 2022

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

One of my cats is still like that and she's 6 now; she's not really around unless she wants food, and she likes getting pets but will usually pretend like she doesn't. She definitely has a point where she gets into "okay but seriously" mode and could risk a chomp if you keep going so like Bollock Monkey said I just learn when to stop and let her chill or be the one to come to me because she wants more attention. After she eats she usually fucks off somewhere and falls asleep until she gets hungry and the cycle starts anew.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Yeah Mini is around 8 at this point. I doubt there will ever be a change in her personality. Maybe when she's really a senior cat and gets to tired to be spooked by humans. I think I've pet her like two or three times in the eight years we've had her. My wife has pet her more, she's less afraid of her. But, she still only allows herself to be pet if she's right next to Andy for protection. I tend not to think of her as my cat, but as my cat's cat.

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010

Hellblazer187 posted:

I tend not to think of her as my cat, but as my cat's cat.
This might be the most adorable thing I've ever read. :3:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Took Chunksworth in for an x-ray on his limp today. It doesn't seem to bother him he's still a rambunctious little gremlin but looking at him limp made us feel bad

I knew it would be a bad sign when the vet started with "I'm going to show you a good elbow"

Poor little guy apparently broke his leg at some point when he was younger and it healed wrong. The vet recommended glucose supplements to slow down the arthritis and said as long as his quality of life doesn't start to go down hill he should be fine. But someday down the road he might become a tripod which is honestly kind of funny. We named him Sir Chunksworth III because he was our third cat and he might end up with three legs

Edit: his fangs are too big for his face and poke out and the teeth between them are little and barely broke the gums. I love this hosed up gremlin

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Two cat problems.

My dad just adopted a two year old cat from a rescue and is having some problems with him. Namely that he won't move, even to eat. My dad can leave him alone with a bowl of food all day and he won't touch it. But when he comes home my dad moves the bowl right in front of the cat's spot in the bathroom closet and the cat eats out of it. So he's hungry but not doing anything about it. Thankfully he is using the litter box but not when my dad is home/awake

My dad's going in and giving him pets every hour but nothing seems to coax the little guy into reacting. He just doesn't respond. My dad wants to give the cat a loving home but he's not sure what to do. Any advice?

Other info that may help: The cat is underweight and has gingivitis but is otherwise healthy. He's a wild cat that the shelter found to already be litter trained. He's recently neutered. My dad does have a second cat who has mostly left this cat alone as she's very scared of strangers. We know he's two years old because the person who brought him to the shelter says he first encountered the cat as a kitten in 2020.

Second cat problem

10 week old Siamese male kitten who has been perfectly potty trained for the last week suddenly can't bother to go to the litterbox. And it's not random - he's pooping and peeing on my clothes, my blankets, and my favorite place to sit. In other words all things heavy with my scent. I've been cleaning up with typical cleaning chemicals and Anti Icky Poo. I don't know if this is an attempted act of dominance or a sign of love but I'd like it to stop.

He's really blatant about it too. I was on the toilet with my underwear around my ankles and he peed on the underwear right then and there. He poo poo on my recliner while I was on the couch right next to him. Of course I don't catch him until the smell hits and at that point he's usually finished doing whatever it is he decided to do

Any way to get him to stop? I'm worried he might pee on an electronic or poop on something I can't get it out of.

Edit: and yes I clean both litterboxes twice a day because they're poop machines and they were clean.

Edit 2: he tried to poo poo on my chair again but this time I picked him up and took him to the litter box so he just poo poo on the floor along the way instead. I saw him pawing at my chair like he was about to go so I carried him to his litter box, he jumped out, raced back to my chair, and when I caught up I noticed him squatting and beginning to push. He straight up ignored the litter box for my chair.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 20, 2022

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TTBF posted:

My dad just adopted a two year old cat from a rescue and is having some problems with him. Namely that he won't move, even to eat. My dad can leave him alone with a bowl of food all day and he won't touch it. But when he comes home my dad moves the bowl right in front of the cat's spot in the bathroom closet and the cat eats out of it. So he's hungry but not doing anything about it. Thankfully he is using the litter box but not when my dad is home/awake

My dad's going in and giving him pets every hour but nothing seems to coax the little guy into reacting. He just doesn't respond. My dad wants to give the cat a loving home but he's not sure what to do. Any advice?

This cat is terrified. Going in to give him pets is making it worse - it's much too early for that. Your dad needs to allow this cat to stay in its safe spot and be left alone for now until he starts venturing out on his own - and even then, your dad should ignore him and just go about his business. He's at the point of needing to get used to being NEAR a person, and not even close to the point of allowing himself to trust and be touched by a person.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I've passed that along and he's agreed to just ignore the cat until the cat is comfortable.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

TTBF posted:

I've passed that along and he's agreed to just ignore the cat until the cat is comfortable.

I second this approach. Poor kitty is probably just completely overwhelmed and needs a little time to adjust to things on his terms.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I've probably posted this here before, but we had a cat who never had any litter problems. One day he made eye contact with me and my wife while he pissed on our laundry pile. We took him to the vet and found out he was dying of cancer. I figure it was his way of letting us know he was sick.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I've got a vet appointment scheduled already thankfully. I doubt it's cancer in a 10 week old kitten but it's probably something. He definitely remembers how to use a litter box - I put him in the bathroom with food, water, and a fresh, clean litterbox overnight and he used it. But then I let him out this morning and five minutes later he was peeing on the couch.

The only non illness explanation I have left is that he's getting stressed from never winning play fights against my 18 week old kitten.

Edit: he began pawing at the seat of my chair again like he was scratching litter so I picked him up, took him to the litterboxes, and praised him as he used one. Then after I gave him a treat. But it was like a minute after. I hope that was a short enough time for him to make the connection

Edit 2: and there he goes peeing on the couch again. It's been five minutes since he was in a litter box.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 20, 2022

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Is he peeing a lot, or just a little? Maybe it's a marking thing from the aforementioned wrestling?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

A lot. His full bladder it seems.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone know why my cat is such a messy lad?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

bowmore posted:

Does anyone know why my cat is such a messy lad?

I think your cat is a cat. We put a tray under our dry food bowl to catch the mess.

They grab a mouthful of food, then pull their head out the dish. As they start crunching, a lot falls out.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Deteriorata posted:

I think your cat is a cat. We put a tray under our dry food bowl to catch the mess.

They grab a mouthful of food, then pull their head out the dish. As they start crunching, a lot falls out.
Yeah fair enough, I was just worried because it seemed like a lot of mess

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction
Some cats also bat or scoop chunks of kibble out of the bowl onto the floor and eat them. When we noticed Merlin doing this we thought it might be whisker stress but we tried feeding him from several different bowls, trays, and mats and he always had to knock the food around a bit first. He also sometimes dips his paw in the water bowl and licks it to drink and other times lowers his head to the water directly. My conclusion is it’s fine but I wish I had some kind of story to explain how this all started.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A shallow bowl with sloped edges and less food in the bowl might help too. But that assumes the mess is coming from kitty shoving food out of the dish. If its grabbing a mouthful and half of it is falling out, your best option is to get some kind of food mat to make cleanup easier.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I think one common reason is that cats don't like how the bowl feels on their whiskers so they get the food out of the bowl to eat it. You can feed them on a plate to see if that changes things.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

TTBF posted:

Two cat problems

Updates on these:

First cat problem: both my dad and his first cat are leaving the new cat alone. The new cat has begun to venture out of the closet, but only at night. When he does venture out, he explores and mostly ignores my dad. He still requires my dad to bring food to him during the day though. My dad is happier with this situation and thanks the thread for the advice.

Second cat problem: I put foil on the couch where he pees and a quilt over the recliner where he poops. Since then he's attempted neither. However he's recently discovered he can jump on the kitchen chairs and he did begin to squat on the one I use, but I got him to a litter box in time.

I also moved his litter box from next to the other cat's and into the bathroom. I've also applied a litter attractor meant for potty training kittens. If I see him eat or drink I wait until he wakes from his following nap and then take him to his box. Usually he'll pee a bit. This has stopped him from peeing elsewhere. He still tried to poop on a chair though.

I consider this a positive development even if there's room for improvement. I also got put on the vet's waiting list in case an earlier spot opens so I can get him checked out.

Edit: he peed in his box on his own!!!

TTBF fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 21, 2022

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

redreader posted:

I've probably posted this here before, but we had a cat who never had any litter problems. One day he made eye contact with me and my wife while he pissed on our laundry pile. We took him to the vet and found out he was dying of cancer. I figure it was his way of letting us know he was sick.

My cat will poop on my bed if the box is too full. If I don't clean the box it escalates to piss. Other than that, it's been UTIs, one of which was due to bladder stones.

More recently it was due to not wanting to use a high-side litter box (clever cat top entry without the lid, because she's monster sized), likely due to being 16 and having some arthritis in her lower back. I switched to a litter box she could step into and it went away immediately.

Savings Clown
May 7, 2007

We all float down here
Hello cat thread, I have just moved from the UK to Toronto and I'm looking to find out where you Canadians get your cat food. Previously I would use zooplus.co.uk and would get an 85g pouch of pretty decent food (Royal Canin, Rosie's Farm, etc) for about 80p ($1.25 CAD). Those specific brands seem to be mega expensive or don't exist over here. Where should I be looking?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Savings Clown posted:

Hello cat thread, I have just moved from the UK to Toronto and I'm looking to find out where you Canadians get your cat food. Previously I would use zooplus.co.uk and would get an 85g pouch of pretty decent food (Royal Canin, Rosie's Farm, etc) for about 80p ($1.25 CAD). Those specific brands seem to be mega expensive or don't exist over here. Where should I be looking?

Pet food is generally more expensive in Canada than the US, even for Canadian brands, and online retail sucks. If your cat(s) are fussy and you don't find what you're looking for in big grocery store/pet chains, try Global Pet Foods - they have more selection (albeit at a premium). Also, depending on how much you go through daily, you can get up to 12oz cans.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

eXXon posted:

Pet food is generally more expensive in Canada than the US, even for Canadian brands, and online retail sucks. If your cat(s) are fussy and you don't find what you're looking for in big grocery store/pet chains, try Global Pet Foods - they have more selection (albeit at a premium). Also, depending on how much you go through daily, you can get up to 12oz cans.

I use PetSmart (Vancouver) but would love to hear of a better/cheaper option for my royal Canin food.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

New favourite spot, apparently.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Got my boys fully vaccinated~

I took them to the vet for their last shots in separate carriers cos I thought they were too big to ride in the same, but they hated hated hated that and the vet said they should be fine rising in one carrier so that’s how I brought them home, which went much better.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Wish Jet luck please, he had a barfing spell last night (some good then lots of white foam) and it seems to be continuing this morning. Also loose, bloody stool that he was unable to hold in while I was in the shower and made a huge mess with :gonk: and the litter box smells horrible.

Vet appointment in the afternoon. Hoping against hope that it’s just an angry hairball or he ate a weird bug, and not an infection or perforation.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Wish Jet luck please, he had a barfing spell last night (some good then lots of white foam) and it seems to be continuing this morning. Also loose, bloody stool that he was unable to hold in while I was in the shower and made a huge mess with :gonk: and the litter box smells horrible.

Vet appointment in the afternoon. Hoping against hope that it’s just an angry hairball or he ate a weird bug, and not an infection or perforation.

Oh no, good luck Jet!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Unfortunately with cats, you have to be prepared for the worst, cause they don’t show signs of sickness until they have no choice. Doesn’t help that he’s a senior at about 13 years old.

At least I’m responding to this quickly, but who knows what’s going on. Just gotta cross my fingers.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Good news is that it’s not a blockage or a perforation! So he’ll be fine in the short term.

Not so good news is that his bowels (or large intestine at least) are still pretty inflamed, he was kinda dehydrated from the barfing, and most worryingly he’s lost a good 0.8~1lb since May (~13 to 12.3), which is a bigger drop than I’d like considering I haven’t been adjusting his diet. Too much too fast, and the vet was glad I brought him in.

I suspect the intermittent barfage and diarrhea has been limiting his caloric and nutrient intake. He’ll get a gut ultrasound and followup to figure out the details. For now, antibarf meds 2x a day for a week.

This was a lot of money for “his guts can’t handle his food anymore”, but frankly it’s worth it to know that he isn’t sick or dying and to figure out a treatment.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm really glad it's not something worse! Did they feel it necessary to give fluids?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Poor Jet :(

Hang in there, little dude!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

VelociBacon posted:

I'm really glad it's not something worse! Did they feel it necessary to give fluids?

Yep, gums were dry so they pumped his neck full of juice. Looked kinda funny but it’s all absorbed now.

Hyperlynx posted:

Poor Jet :(

Hang in there, little dude!

He is unfortunately getting up there - turned 13 in April. Prolly starting to exhibit old cat health problems now.

Last night got me thinking about how to prepare for his passing. I want him to go out happy and me without any regrets, so I want to make whatever time he has left (six years, six months?) awesome. Play more, engage more, pet more, adventure more, cool stuff more. Something to assuage me that I did a good job, when the time comes.

Maybe I’ll take him out on a harness once it’s nice out.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Here are my sweet precious angel babies

Orion (11 week old male who has been having litter box problems) on the left, Artemis (19 week old female) on the right.

I moved a litter box into the living room to see if that would cut down on Orion's peeing and pooping. It cut down on the pooping (he's used a litter box for that every day since I've done that) but he still pees at least once a day in random places. I was watching him just now and the two kittens were playing and he suddenly stopped to take a squat and pee on his favorite toy. The worst part? I spent the previous ten minutes taking him to a litter box every time he began scratching and sniffing the floor and he didn't pee in that box. I put him in multiple times and he just jumped out right away. It's impossible to get mad at him though. When he's not peeing everywhere he's a cute little kitty cat.

Edit: another problem I've been with him is his coat. It's gotten real rough and sorta wirey lately. Dunno what's up with that.

Pollyanna posted:

He is unfortunately getting up there - turned 13 in April. Prolly starting to exhibit old cat health problems now.

Last night got me thinking about how to prepare for his passing. I want him to go out happy and me without any regrets, so I want to make whatever time he has left (six years, six months?) awesome. Play more, engage more, pet more, adventure more, cool stuff more. Something to assuage me that I did a good job, when the time comes.

Maybe I’ll take him out on a harness once it’s nice out.

With a pet parent like you he must have had a wonderful life so far, and it's great to see that you're putting so much thought into how to make the rest of his life happy. He's very fortunate to have you.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 24, 2022

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
I'm second guessing myself again with cat health stuff and would like opinions from more experienced cat owners.

I posted few weeks ago about my cat Mona, who had a cough. I ended up taking her to a vet last week for a checkup. The vet suspected that the coughing might be mild asthma, and gave the cat a subcutaneous steroid shot with instructions to come back later if the issue returns and gets worse. I think the steroids helped and I haven't noticed any coughing since the vet visit.

Last few days, the cat has started sneezing though. It's a clearly different from the earlier coughing, and it sounds exactly like humans do when you have a cold. I think my other cat has also sneezed a couple of times, so I think this might be some kind of cat flu? She might have even brought it from the vet office, although there weren't any other cats there at the time.

The cats have had the standard cat vaccinations, and except for the sneezing I haven't noticed any other symptoms - no visible mucus, they don't feel feverish, appetite and activity levels are normal. I'm assuming that unless the cats get worse or stop eating, it's fine not to take them to the vet, right?

Here's a picture of Mona for no reason except that I think it's a fantastic picture and she's a gorgeous cat.

edit: I guess the tldr for my post is: is cat common cold a thing that exists, since googling is giving me just sites that only describe horrible virus diseases

Obfuscation fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 24, 2022

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So based on my vet’s advice and the fact that this seems to be some sort of colitis/IBD and not a perforation or blockage, I’m gonna try switching out his diet. Vet said that a single protein diet might help, I think it’s also called limited ingredient food.

There’s FirstMate which I was previously recommended, but I don’t know of many others. He also seems to graze on kibble, and has never liked wet food. I’ll start with FirstMate.

TTBF posted:

With a pet parent like you he must have had a wonderful life so far, and it's great to see that you're putting so much thought into how to make the rest of his life happy. He's very fortunate to have you.

thankkkk :3: Yours are adorable!!!

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Why won’t my cat ever slow blink back at me :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

drunken officeparty posted:

Why won’t my cat ever slow blink back at me :(

Our cats are incredibly attached to us and I've never, ever been able to get them to slow blink.