Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

Well today loving sucks. Got home from work and found that a breaker tripped in my fish room sometime after I was in there yesterday afternoon. My freshwater tanks were all ok, but my saltwater tank completely crashed. Purple tang and red head solon fairy wrasse that I've had for 5+ years both dead, big maxima clam covered in ricordea is probably dead, 30 heads of frogspawn look like they are toast, blue tuxedo urchin is a goner, couldn't find my blenny. Most of the other coral is in pretty rough shape, dunno if any will recover. Only thing I know is still alive is a pair of engineer gobies and an aiptasia eating filefish. Mixing some fresh saltwater now for a big water change, but I'm not hopeful about any of this. Really leaning towards tearing it all down and selling off what I can, but I'm gonna sleep on it at least.

I am so sorry. I have been there, and it is horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Enos Cabell posted:

Well today loving sucks. Got home from work and found that a breaker tripped in my fish room sometime after I was in there yesterday afternoon. My freshwater tanks were all ok, but my saltwater tank completely crashed. Purple tang and red head solon fairy wrasse that I've had for 5+ years both dead, big maxima clam covered in ricordea is probably dead, 30 heads of frogspawn look like they are toast, blue tuxedo urchin is a goner, couldn't find my blenny. Most of the other coral is in pretty rough shape, dunno if any will recover. Only thing I know is still alive is a pair of engineer gobies and an aiptasia eating filefish. Mixing some fresh saltwater now for a big water change, but I'm not hopeful about any of this. Really leaning towards tearing it all down and selling off what I can, but I'm gonna sleep on it at least.

That's terrible to hear Enos and I feel for you as that's how I lost my reef. I even had a battery backup but apparently the power flickered off and on a ton which caused havoc with anything electronic. One of the maxijets got stuck trying to run backwards and literally melted the pump volute block, dumping who knows what into the tank.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Thanks for the kind words all. Things are still looking pretty rough, but amazingly I found my purple tang out and swimming around this morning. I thought he was for sure a goner. Still pretty gutted about the rest, and depending on what coral I have left I may opt to go FOWLR for a while to simplify things.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Enos Cabell posted:

OMG, that's my worst nightmare. So sorry.

E: Great news about the purple tang! Looking into a backup generator is one of those things I keep meaning to do, but never doing.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 24, 2022

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I think I posted a while back about being on the edge of burning out in the hobby. I think I have a plan to try to get my GHA issues under control and hopefully make me want to look at my tanks again instead of dreading it. I'm going to start with a chemical warfare phase (Algaefix) and hope it doesn't kill any fish/corals/inverts. Once it's killed back I will refresh my cleanup crews and add in-take refugiums to grow chaeto in.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I think I posted a while back about being on the edge of burning out in the hobby. I think I have a plan to try to get my GHA issues under control and hopefully make me want to look at my tanks again instead of dreading it. I'm going to start with a chemical warfare phase (Algaefix) and hope it doesn't kill any fish/corals/inverts. Once it's killed back I will refresh my cleanup crews and add in-take refugiums to grow chaeto in.

Can you pull your hardscape where the gha is and put boiling water on it? For me this killed it and my inverts happily ate it all in like two days.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm actually in the midst of a power outage right now. I ordered a solar powered pond aerator with AAx2 battery backup, after reading things earlier this week, just deployed it. Probably overkill for the surface area and bioload+ plants but after reading about that better safe than sorry

OMG, that's my worst nightmare. So sorry.

E: Great news about the purple tang! Looking into a backup generator is one of those things I keep meaning to do, but never doing.

We live in hurricane country now, I have the generator in the shed, waiting on some parts for the breaker panel to finish the install

Right now hurricane season has been the quietest it's been in 30 years so harbor freight is running fire sales to dump their excess generator stock, you can get a whisper quiet inverter generator 3600 watts for well under $999 right now, that'll run all your aquarium stuff + fridge + microwave no problem

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How long would my outdoor goldfish be ok if the power was to go out and I was to vanish? This hoard of baby fish seem to be growing up fine without any feeding, could my adults survive off algae and whatever grows in the pond naturally? They love their pellets but I imagine they could switch to foraging in the pond? They mostly ignore the algae at the moment and simply beg for pellets and salami whenever they see me.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
The big ones will eventually go but that pond would probably have a forever population.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Power came on long enough for the pond pump to cycle the whole pond probably 2 times, power went back out. Very happy with my solar powered air pump with battery backup so far. Also bought a USB powered one I can run off a battery bank or laptop. Probably overkill for so few fish in so many gallons but the alternative sounds awful

Edit: also a third goldfish has appeared from the brick labrynth! So I guess I only lost just the one

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
poo poo my nitrates are high. Probably from that goddamn krill that no one ate.

And probably because of various stress in life, I keep loving up my salt mix so it's always low, like 1.020. So I have to add a few spoons of salt at a time, wait for it to dissolve, and test again. Hoping to get a 5 gallon change done tonight. My serpent star is not looking so great, has white marks along the bases of his legs.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

If it's a star that frequents tidal pools it should be very tolerant of salinity swings.

I'm going to start my chemical algae offensive with Vibrant. It was supposed to be a bacteria based solution but the main water chemistry guy on Reef2Reef proved it was the same chemical algaecide as AlgaeFix for over double the price. Pretty funny reef scandal. Anyways I will use it up since I have it than I'll pick up a bottle of AlgaeFix. I used to have one but I dumped it out after reading the warning label. Not crazy about using it by I'm desperate at this point.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Can you pull your hardscape where the gha is and put boiling water on it? For me this killed it and my inverts happily ate it all in like two days.

It's all on live rock and coral so unfortunately that isn't an option. It's everywhere.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

It's all on live rock and coral so unfortunately that isn't an option. It's everywhere.

I feel your pain, I had a pretty intense GHA problem a few years back and it slowly started creeping back within the last several months. It's insane how quickly it can grow and just dominate a tank.

Not sure how your system is setup, but if you have a sump it makes manual removal a bit easier. What I did was run a regular gravel vac from the tank into a filter sock holder in the sump, but left the return pump going. That way you can siphon continuously without actually removing any water, as long as your return pump can handle the extra flow into the sump. Then you just start pulling GHA and let it go right into the vac to get trapped in a sock. I've had it setup like that for hours at a time on mine while pulling GHA, really helps a lot.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

If it's a star that frequents tidal pools it should be very tolerant of salinity swings.

I'm going to start my chemical algae offensive with Vibrant. It was supposed to be a bacteria based solution but the main water chemistry guy on Reef2Reef proved it was the same chemical algaecide as AlgaeFix for over double the price. Pretty funny reef scandal. Anyways I will use it up since I have it than I'll pick up a bottle of AlgaeFix. I used to have one but I dumped it out after reading the warning label. Not crazy about using it by I'm desperate at this point.

I have no idea where he came from.

Maybe I am not filling the cup I use for salt right. It's about half a cup per gallon for saltwater, right?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Enos Cabell posted:

I feel your pain, I had a pretty intense GHA problem a few years back and it slowly started creeping back within the last several months. It's insane how quickly it can grow and just dominate a tank.

Not sure how your system is setup, but if you have a sump it makes manual removal a bit easier. What I did was run a regular gravel vac from the tank into a filter sock holder in the sump, but left the return pump going. That way you can siphon continuously without actually removing any water, as long as your return pump can handle the extra flow into the sump. Then you just start pulling GHA and let it go right into the vac to get trapped in a sock. I've had it setup like that for hours at a time on mine while pulling GHA, really helps a lot.

I don't have a sump on any of my tanks. I have converted my old Eheim Classic Cannister into a portable aquarium vacuum cleaner for exactly such situations. The main problem is that in the reef tank my clowns bite the poo poo out of me the entire time and the GHA is really healthy/strong at holding onto the live rock. I think the Vibrant may actually be working in the FOWLR though, as I've been using it in there longer. In the tank it pulls away from the rock much easier.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Maybe I am not filling the cup I use for salt right. It's about half a cup per gallon for saltwater, right?

I have only ever used Instant Ocean so I can't speak for all brands, but yes, with IO it's 1/2 cup per gallon.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 25, 2022

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Yes, but use a calibrated refractometer to check

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Oh yes, I actually have two calibrated ones, so I can double check my readings. Clean them off with RO water in between every check.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Oh yes, I actually have two calibrated ones, so I can double check my readings. Clean them off with RO water in between every check.

I just wipe em off on my jeans :-/

Be careful with calibration solution though, buy it from BRS or a LFS, or someone else reputable. I bought some off Amazon that was *way* off and I would've been in deep poo poo if I hadn't been suspicious at how much adjustment was needed and checked against the old calibration solution.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I just wipe em off on my jeans :-/

Be careful with calibration solution though, buy it from BRS or a LFS, or someone else reputable. I bought some off Amazon that was *way* off and I would've been in deep poo poo if I hadn't been suspicious at how much adjustment was needed and checked against the old calibration solution.

How often do I need to calibrate?

I miss the days when the old plastic arm was accurate enough.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I just look at RO/DI in mine and as long it reads 0.0 I feel like I'm good.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

How often do I need to calibrate?

I miss the days when the old plastic arm was accurate enough.

I do it every time because it's easy. You shouldn't need to tweak it much at all.

I find the refractometers way easier to use than the old plastic arms, but ymmv

I just look at RO/DI in mine and as long it reads 0.0 I feel like I'm good.

Get some 35ppt calibration solution, it's cheap and you'll be way more accurate. 0.0 is too far off as a calibration point imo

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

I don't have a sump on any of my tanks. I have converted my old Eheim Classic Cannister into a portable aquarium vacuum cleaner for exactly such situations. The main problem is that in the reef tank my clowns bite the poo poo out of me the entire time and the GHA is really healthy/strong at holding onto the live rock. I think the Vibrant may actually be working in the FOWLR though, as I've been using it in there longer. In the tank it pulls away from the rock much easier.

I have only ever used Instant Ocean so I can't speak for all brands, but yes, with IO it's 1/2 cup per gallon.

I'm not a reef tank expert, but depending on what exactly the algae is growing on consider using an oral syringe to directly apply the algaecide to the algae when dosing the tank. Turn off all pumps/wave makers/etc. first, then give the algae a squirt so it soaks in a higher concentration for a few minutes before turning everything back on.

I also need to stop being lazy and do this to finish off the remnants of green spot algae on my hardscape.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

My beloved rabbit snail disappeared nearly three weeks ago.

At first, I thought maybe he was just doing the thing rabbit snails sometimes do where they nap for a day or two, but I couldn't find him anywhere.

Days pass, and I get a bit worried, so I start poking around in the plants to see if I can find him. No joy.

Finally when I did I water change last week, I did as good a hunt for him as I could since I was doing a decent substrate vacuum. The tank is well planted, so I couldn't see everywhere, but he's a big snail.

Anyway, I've been assuming he died somehow, and my tank wasn't the same without him cruising around.

I've been checking for him any time I walk by the tank, and today it took my brain a second to register that he was indeed actually there, poking around like nothing happened.

Where has he been for nearly three weeks? :iiam:

Every rabbit snail care sheet says they sometimes just don't move for 24-48 hours, but there's nothing about vanishing for weeks. I'm delighted though :neckbeard:

candystarlight
Jun 5, 2017

Enfys posted:

My beloved rabbit snail disappeared nearly three weeks ago.

At first, I thought maybe he was just doing the thing rabbit snails sometimes do where they nap for a day or two, but I couldn't find him anywhere.

Days pass, and I get a bit worried, so I start poking around in the plants to see if I can find him. No joy.

Finally when I did I water change last week, I did as good a hunt for him as I could since I was doing a decent substrate vacuum. The tank is well planted, so I couldn't see everywhere, but he's a big snail.

Anyway, I've been assuming he died somehow, and my tank wasn't the same without him cruising around.

I've been checking for him any time I walk by the tank, and today it took my brain a second to register that he was indeed actually there, poking around like nothing happened.

Where has he been for nearly three weeks? :iiam:

Every rabbit snail care sheet says they sometimes just don't move for 24-48 hours, but there's nothing about vanishing for weeks. I'm delighted though :neckbeard:

Is there a spot where he could have escaped? I've found mystery and nerite snails outside of the tank many times, even on top of the lid. The red racer nerites in particular seem to be the worst for escaping.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

He wasn't on the lid. I considered that he might have escaped, but it would have been very difficult for him as there's only one small gap in the lid for wires, and it's mainly a tangle of pothos roots (I checked and he wasn't in the roots either).

He's not exactly a lithe creature with his three inch shell. I had searched all around the aquarium in case he had gotten out as I didn't think he'd survive if he fell onto the tile, but there was no sign of him outside the tank.

He's currently back to his usual antics of climbing rocks and falling off them, so I can only assume he went on his August holidays and is now back to work :shrug:

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Are these small little white dots snail eggs?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Rythe posted:

Are these small little white dots snail eggs?

Yes they are, or at least that's how they look in my tank.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Well that's annoying, time to kill them all or find a fish that eats baby snails...

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

If they are nerite eggs they won’t result in baby snails, nerites need both brackish water and male nerites for the eggs to be viable and it is unlikely that you have both of those in your tank.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Stoca Zola posted:

If they are nerite eggs they won’t result in baby snails, nerites need both brackish water and male nerites for the eggs to be viable and it is unlikely that you have both of those in your tank.

I know people get pretty bent out of shape about them, but mine ended up melting away after a few months. I like nerites too much to be put off by their eggs. They keep the glass so drat clean.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
I am beginning to hate Coraline (encrusting) algae. I mean, it's pretty on the rocks, a nice bright purple, and it prevents bad algae growth, but then it gets on the glass. I have chronic pain, and that poo poo doesn't want to come off without a hard scraping with a (tank-safe!) steel mesh sheet. And I mean scrubbing. It's way better since I moves to a glass tank, since in the acrylic I couldn't scrub without potentially scraping the tank, and it's growing a lot slower now with two filters running, but... I really am beginning to hate Coraline algae (on the glass).
Yeah. Might be grumpy because my hand hurts.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Have you tried a razor blade?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Do uv filters work for saltwater aquariums? I have a UV stage in my pond pump and there's so little biofilm on my pond liner, and the water is so clear I'm concerned my snails will starve to death

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Have read that asterina stars eat it, but I can't find them anywhere. I just want some small scavengers!

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Stoca Zola posted:

That's great information, I appreciate it, I'll clean off the glass and not worry about anything else.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Have read that asterina stars eat it, but I can't find them anywhere. I just want some small scavengers!

I can mail you some if you'd like, I have tons of asterina stars in all my salt tamks

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I can mail you some if you'd like, I have tons of asterina stars in all my salt tamks

I would love that but it's like 100* daily here, probably not so safe.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

I would love that but it's like 100* daily here, probably not so safe.

Remind me when it cools down

This is from the side of the tank I'm sitting next to, they are quite abundant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Remind me when it cools down

This is from the side of the tank I'm sitting next to, they are quite abundant
Yay! Babies!
That's the nice stuff to balance the posts of loss in here.