Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

Does Outer Range end in a satisfying way? I was intrigued in the start, and while there has been a lot of personal drama, there has been very little by way of the mystery/scifi elements, and I'm getting a little tired of Imogen Poots constant knowing more than she is willing to reveal. I was in the middle of episode 7 I think, and Imogen gave another one of her smirks, and I just turned it off.

You get to find out why she knows so much in the next episode, which is the last of the season, but it doesn't exactly wrap everything up. For myself, given I got to the point you have, I was glad I finished the season, but I wouldn't recommend starting the show to anyone who hasn't already done so if they want something more than family drama sparked by periodic sci-fi bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

A MIRACLE posted:

has anyone watched the new game of thrones lol

My only interaction with the new GOT has been seeing it referenced on threads on SA, going "oh right, that's out already/coming out," and promptly forgetting about it.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I'll watch it I guess but I just realized I never saw season 3 of true detective so I'm watching that instead

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

Does Outer Range end in a satisfying way? I was intrigued in the start, and while there has been a lot of personal drama, there has been very little by way of the mystery/scifi elements, and I'm getting a little tired of Imogen Poots constant knowing more than she is willing to reveal. I was in the middle of episode 7 I think, and Imogen gave another one of her smirks, and I just turned it off.

Spouse and I stopped watching on the same episode. Realized we hated all the characters, and there was so little of the sci-fi mystery element that there was no reason to continue.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

has anyone watched the new game of thrones lol
Yeah, i thought it had a solid premiere. I dig paddy considine. Im down with it not being as great as seasons 1-4 as long as it aint ever as bad as seasons 5-8 and that seems like it could be the case.
Like it might not have as high a ceiling but it seems like it has a decent floor.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Only real bummer is they made no real attempt to have cool intro credits or their own cool themes/score (just kinda used variations of the original game of thrones theme)
Matt Smith is fun as basically Grown Joffrey.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Nihonniboku posted:

Not at all and if they're dumb enough to make a Season 2 it's gonna flop. I know 3 different sets of people who made it through Season 1 (including me and my wife) and none of them ended up happy with it or interested in any more episodes. Either I'm in a statistical outlier or this show flopped big (the review rating on Prime highly suggests it's the latter). I guessed the big plot twist about halfway through the season as well, so it was even more excruciating.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Not at all and if they're dumb enough to make a Season 2 it's gonna flop. I know 3 different sets of people who made it through Season 1 (including me and my wife) and none of them ended up happy with it or interested in any more episodes. Either I'm in a statistical outlier or this show flopped big (the review rating on Prime highly suggests it's the latter). I guessed the big plot twist about halfway through the season as well, so it was even more excruciating.

Could you spoiler tag the last episode details for us? I'm curious, but not curious enough to finish the season.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Enos Cabell posted:

Could you spoiler tag the last episode details for us? I'm curious, but not curious enough to finish the season.

Sure. This is just from Wikipedia though, as it's a decent summary.

Autumn waits for her money to be transferred to the bank and she gets into a heated argument with Maria. At the rodeo, Rhett is thrown off the bull he is riding and injures his shoulder. Autumn calls Amy’s phone and asks for Royal. She tells him he can find her in town and he leaves to confront her. Rhett doesn’t give up and wants to ride the final round. He wins and he and Maria reconcile. Amy wanders into the parking lot and sees her mother, Rebecca. She tells Amy to come with her and the two of them leave. Cecelia realizes Amy is missing and searches for her. Meanwhile, Joy sees thousands of buffalo stampeding across the fields and several Native Americans chasing and attempting to kill them. Royal confronts Autumn in town and she and Billy attempt to kill him, resulting in a gunfight while they drive. Luke digs a hole in the ground, thinking he will find what will make him rich. Oil starts coming out of the ground, but it transforms into the stampeding buffalo. They trample Luke and continue to stampede. Royal manages to kill Billy while they are still driving and Billy’s truck crashes. Autumn is ejected from the truck and Royal goes to finish her off. Before he can, the buffalo stampede through the area. Royal takes cover under the truck, but Autumn is trampled. Royal checks on her after the buffalo leave and discovers that she has a scar on her head in the same place where Amy was hit with the glass shard, revealing that she is actually Amy from the future. He takes her home and tells Cecelia that he just wants his family back. Cecelia says their family is gone, naming each family member. When she says Amy is gone too, Royal says she’s not gone and tells her to go with him.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Sure. This is just from Wikipedia though, as it's a decent summary.

Royal checks on her after the buffalo leave and discovers that she has a scar on her head in the same place where Amy was hit with the glass shard, revealing that she is actually Amy from the future. He takes her home and tells Cecelia that he just wants his family back. Cecelia says their family is gone, naming each family member. When she says Amy is gone too, Royal says she’s not gone and tells her to go with him.

I figured that would be the case. No interest in watching it anymore.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I mean just look at the Amazon reviews. 21% one star reviews. Only 57% 5 star, and customer reviews of television series are notoriously lenient. I don't know a single person in reality that liked Outer Range, although all were intrigued enough with the premise to stick with it. They just did absolutely nothing with it, set up a bunch of poo poo but resolved none of it, and it feels like one of those shows where people say "the first two and a half seasons are a real slog and then it gets good". To hell with that!

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Did Brolin elevate the entire production at all? The one thing I keep reading is that it's his first time on TV in over 20 years (feigned gasp)

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I thought he was great in outer range. He was my favorite part about the show. But everything else got boring real quick and the Sci fi stuff took a far back seat, it just dropped off so fast for me.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

forest spirit posted:

Did Brolin elevate the entire production at all? The one thing I keep reading is that it's his first time on TV in over 20 years (feigned gasp)

Do people act like Brolin is some classic movie star? His career between Goonies and Grindhouse is incredibly whatever.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Brolin was completely one note in every scene. Gruff.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

forest spirit posted:

No he didn't. I stopped watching after three episodes because it was making me like him less as an actor

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Baronash posted:

My only interaction with the new GOT has been seeing it referenced on threads on SA, going "oh right, that's out already/coming out," and promptly forgetting about it.

Really? It seems like everyone I know is talking about it (not enthusiastically) and it broke the record for most watched hbo premiere. The general attitude seems to be “fine, I guess I’ll watch the thing but I doubt it will be good”.

I thought it was alright, I like the casting and the idea of a smaller scope for the story but the actual setting they chose seems boring and repetitive and the dialogue at the end got dangerously corny (probably from the book but still). It was a precarious 7/10 for me.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Starks posted:

(probably from the book but still).

The book it's based on apparently has little-to-no scene-level detail so this appears to be plain old bad writing.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

https://twitter.com/BrandyLJensen/status/1562232958106406912?t=brCWTnXk3CuNStqy_RLdnA&s=19

lmfao

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

This is exactly the line I had in mind lol

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

lmao it is literally the UCB skit

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
yeah, the tie-in stuff with Game of thrones was pretty corny but I don't expect it to really be something that comes along often or is a major part of the plot. maybe i'll be wrong though, i figured it was just connective series premiere stuff.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
gentlemen, we are truly in...a feast for crows

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Starks posted:

Really? It seems like everyone I know is talking about it (not enthusiastically) and it broke the record for most watched hbo premiere. The general attitude seems to be “fine, I guess I’ll watch the thing but I doubt it will be good”.

I thought it was alright, I like the casting and the idea of a smaller scope for the story but the actual setting they chose seems boring and repetitive and the dialogue at the end got dangerously corny (probably from the book but still). It was a precarious 7/10 for me.

It's based on a couple of different books, Blood and Fire and The World of Ice and Fire, which are really just written like historical documents. You get broad strokes of what happened from biased sources (maesters and jesters). The quality of the show will definitely come down to the quality of the writing staff. They won't be able to crib the best lines from the books like they could with the first 5 or 6 seasons. I'm cautiously optimistic since one of the showrunners was responsible for directing some of the best episodes of GoT. And, unlike the main series, this story is complete, and the outcome is even referred to a couple of times in the GoT tv series.

The line you're thinking of in particular isn't in any of the books, but GRRM suggested they include it, so maybe it's something he's still going to include since he's still in the middle of writing them.

My impressions of the first episode were positive. For a pilot, they did as good of a job setting the scene and introducing the characters as any. I enjoyed them showing the opulence of the Targaryen dynasty at the peak of their power and influence, and I thought many of the costumes looked Byzantine even (based on what I've seen those characters wear in Crusader Kings). And I'm glad they listened to GRRM's suggestion to amp up the colorful sigils and unique armor that he regretted the GoT never really included.

I was in denial about the quality of the last couple of seasons as they aired as I was just so excited to see where the story would go as a book reader. On a rewatch recently I soured on the same stuff that pretty much everyone else didn't like in the end.

That said, I'm looking forward to the 3 or 4 seasons they've promised us. There are some great battles, shocking betrayals, gruesome deaths, and lots and lots of dragons. We only saw 2 in the premiere I think.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Yep it was pretty good and at least the first episode is a hit ratings and critic wise. Just the quality of everything in the first episode is better than anything I have seen in either WoT (which I liked) and The Witcher (which I loved).

Someone please do a First Law series. In the right hands it could truly be a streaming service anchor show.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

nate fisher posted:

Yep it was pretty good and at least the first episode is a hit ratings and critic wise. Just the quality of everything in the first episode is better than anything I have seen in either WoT (which I liked) and The Witcher (which I loved).

Someone please do a First Law series. In the right hands it could truly be a streaming service anchor show.

I'm desperately waiting on some SciFi series. The Wool Trilogy is apparently coming out on Apple, but they haven't announced a release date yet. And Ron Howard (sigh) has been working on scripts for Seveneves for Amazon apparently, but no word on where that is right now.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Nihonniboku posted:

It's based on a couple of different books, Blood and Fire and The World of Ice and Fire, which are really just written like historical documents. You get broad strokes of what happened from biased sources (maesters and jesters). The quality of the show will definitely come down to the quality of the writing staff. They won't be able to crib the best lines from the books like they could with the first 5 or 6 seasons. I'm cautiously optimistic since one of the showrunners was responsible for directing some of the best episodes of GoT. And, unlike the main series, this story is complete, and the outcome is even referred to a couple of times in the GoT tv series.

The thing that worries me is that the part missing from Fire and Blood is the 'glue' and that exactly where the last 2 seasons of GoT stumbled.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I wanna see the yearlong pain in the rear end process the sword throne took to make that's the origin story we all want

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

nate fisher posted:

1000 times this, it's stuffed with so many great characters.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

constant knowing more than she is willing to reveal.

a huge red flag for a writing team not having any idea of where they want a character/story to go.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I really like Mo on Netflix.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

The prophecy is 100% from GRRM, he asked them to put it in because he’s putting it in the sequel book to “Fire and Blood.”

It’d be really cool if people (in general not just this thread) stop acting like “diverging from the books” was the main reason the end of GoT sucked. GRRM is mostly a bad writer nowadays and people would have been loving pissed if even 1/10th of the trash in Dance with Dragons was in the show.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 25, 2022

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

it's terrible writing and v v funny

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Diarrhea Dany is canon

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Huh, genuinely surprised Disney+ surpassed Netflix’s subscriber base this quickly

https://qz.com/disney-has-finally-surpassed-netflix-in-overall-streami-1849397848/amp/

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
That's actually the combined numbers of Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+. Netflix has 220 million, while Disney+ has 152 million.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Elvis will be streaming on HBO Max on September 2nd!

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Samaritan is okay.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

She-Hulk is really fun so far, and Only Murders capped off a great season 2 this week. If this really is Steve Martins final acting gig, I hope it goes for another 10 seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The slow mo scene could have been straight out of the jerk