Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

brand engager posted:

Are estimates supposed to be the entire time spent including time due to other people reviewing the code and QA testing? It's kinda hard to estimate the parts that I'm not going to be doing

You do a "dev work" estimate and then you add an "organizational capacity [to allow for that dev work]" estimate, which is always bigger because of exactly that stuff you said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I知 in a weird spot. My client for whom I知 a consultant insist that their colleagues should be able to contribute to a product they create / maintain. This is fine, except these colleagues are unable to follow through on code. They値l create half finished PRs and just leave them sitting around for weeks on end and somehow this is a good thing

Guess what I知 trying to say is I知 frustrated

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Jabor posted:

what? i'm talking about the sprints that you as a team of engineers are doing in order to deliver on engineering goals. the estimates that matter for those sprints are the engineering work that will be required from your team. work that will not be carried out by an engineer on your team does not factor in to what your team can accomplish during the sprint, and should not be part of your estimate.

these are different from product-focused estimates like "a major customer wants this feature, what estimated ship date should we give them" which of course should include everything in the path to get that feature fully shipped.

You're assuming it's a team of engineers. A lot of the original discussion and documentation talked about cross functional teams coming together for a sprint. That would be designers, artists, engineers, (Front end, and back end, maybe database as well) QA all with the purpose of delivering a feature X to a customer at the end of the sprint. As such with the goal is that on last day of the sprint the customer is accepting the work and paying you for your time, yes all parts are accounted for.

Most of Agile poo poo comes from Boutique web-development and is best served by it.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty

champagne posting posted:

I’m in a weird spot. My client for whom I’m a consultant insist that their colleagues should be able to contribute to a product they create / maintain. This is fine, except these colleagues are unable to follow through on code. They’ll create half finished PRs and just leave them sitting around for weeks on end and somehow this is a good thing

Guess what I’m trying to say is I’m frustrated

If they insist on doing that, insist on helping. Bill for code reviews on those PRs and all the cat herding. Get some sort of Agile certification and bill for process advice. Hopefully your hourly rate makes you an extremely overpaid task master.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

YanniRotten posted:

If they insist on doing that, insist on helping. Bill for code reviews on those PRs and all the cat herding. Get some sort of Agile certification and bill for process advice. Hopefully your hourly rate makes you an extremely overpaid task master.

at 725 DKK / hour that is an affirmative

edit: I just dont get why they would chose inefficiency

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
God I hate offshore people sometimes.

Just trying to deploy something to some production AWS resources. Nothing too out of the ordinary, a SPA hosted on S3, backend on an EC2 instance, load balancer, CloudFront, etc.

Well, the offshore people told me to use the "master" branch. And it's not working and it's buggy as hell. I've told them "Hey, I have confirmed that that the prod resources are all on commit 123abcdef, can you let me know if this is the latest?"

"XYZ is not working."

Ugh, ok. Turn off Cloudfront caching and see if it's that weirdness. It's not.

I also ran an instance of everything locally following the same instructions I was given and I can reproduce the bug locally. Fairly sure it's not AWS weirdness at this point.

So I send them a screenshot of it not working on my local instance, specifically highlight where it shows "localhost:3000" in the address bar and mention it in my message, and the reply I get is "did you restart the backend in prod?"

:negative:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Protocol7 posted:

God I hate offshore people sometimes.

Just trying to deploy something to some production AWS resources. Nothing too out of the ordinary, a SPA hosted on S3, backend on an EC2 instance, load balancer, CloudFront, etc.

Well, the offshore people told me to use the "master" branch. And it's not working and it's buggy as hell. I've told them "Hey, I have confirmed that that the prod resources are all on commit 123abcdef, can you let me know if this is the latest?"

"XYZ is not working."

Ugh, ok. Turn off Cloudfront caching and see if it's that weirdness. It's not.

I also ran an instance of everything locally following the same instructions I was given and I can reproduce the bug locally. Fairly sure it's not AWS weirdness at this point.

So I send them a screenshot of it not working on my local instance, specifically highlight where it shows "localhost:3000" in the address bar and mention it in my message, and the reply I get is "did you restart the backend in prod?"

:negative:

Just wait till you find the hardcoded credentials to the production backend deep in the source...

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Hughlander posted:

Just wait till you find the hardcoded credentials to the production backend deep in the source...

You'd be surprised, they actually are reading everything properly from environment variables. I think. At least, for the stuff I know about anyway. :tinfoil:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Protocol7 posted:

You'd be surprised, they actually are reading everything properly from environment variables. I think. At least, for the stuff I know about anyway. :tinfoil:

I was just trying to come up with a reason why their response would be correct

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
You never know with offshore, that's what makes it so exciting :allears:

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I'm working on a fat Rails monolith with React on the front end (along with some old legacy views that have jquery sprinkled on top, coffeescript, etc...). The repo is getting pretty heavy, we're getting close to a million lines of code (including crap like stylesheets, tests, canned testing data, it isn't THAT heavy). We migrated our component library forward a major version and it took us a couple of months to get it done, and I'm sweating when thinking about what that migration process looks like if we need to do it again 2 years down the line, given that we continue to grow and people are continuing to add new views and pages.

I think we need to pull in something like NX or Turborepo and am going to start writing some docs on it to work towards some architectural decision record thing to propose, but most of what I've seen on these types of tools are usually in a neat and tidy green field project, always with a js backend. How silly would it be to add these into a monorepo also containing the rails back end? Does the js monorepo tool not need to be concerned with rails/java/whatever else that isn't js? Anyone pull this into a monolith project that's become somewhat of a defacto monorepo without the nice tooling? These questions kind of sound dumb, but I had a meeting with a couple of curmudgeonly Rails dogma guys in the company that hate react and js in general and made me feel like I was a complete moron when I was asking them about how they felt regarding adding monorepo tooling

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 21, 2022

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

biceps crimes posted:

I'm working on a fat Rails monolith with React on the front end (along with some old legacy views that have jquery sprinkled on top, coffeescript, etc...). The repo is getting pretty heavy, we're getting close to a million lines of code (including crap like stylesheets, tests, canned testing data, it isn't THAT heavy). We migrated our component library forward a major version and it took us a couple of months to get it done, and I'm sweating when thinking about what that migration process looks like if we need to do it again 2 years down the line, given that we continue to grow and people are continuing to add new views and pages.

I think we need to pull in something like NX or Turborepo and am going to start writing some docs on it to work towards some architectural decision record thing to propose, but most of what I've seen on these types of tools are usually in a neat and tidy green field project, always with a js backend. How silly would it be to add these into a monorepo also containing the rails back end? Does the js monorepo tool not need to be concerned with rails/java/whatever else that isn't js? Anyone pull this into a monolith project that's become somewhat of a defacto monorepo without the nice tooling? These questions kind of sound dumb, but I had a meeting with a couple of curmudgeonly Rails dogma guys in the company that hate react and js in general and made me feel like I was a complete moron when I was asking them about how they felt regarding adding monorepo tooling

I've been wondering the same thing since I'm in a similar position and nobody cool uses Rails anymore so you can't find any writing about it. Presumably you can stick rails in the monorepo and all the tooling would ignore it. I think you can also add package.json and some scripts to the rails app so turborepo could run rubocop or your tests or whatever.

prom candy fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 23, 2022

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Why can't your team deliver, Charlie Brown?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
Higher-up: "We need you to work on these internal projects."
Me: Okay, how should I allocate my time versus billable client work?
Higher-up: "Just make it work."
Me: Well, should I not bill my client and allocate some percentage of my time to these projects?
Higher-up: "No, billable work always comes first."
Me: Okay, so you want me to work overtime?
Higher-up: "No, you don't need to work overtime."
Me: Then you don't want me to work on these internal projects, because I'm not supposed to work extra hours, but you still want me billing my client for a full day of work?
Higher-up: "No, these are very important projects."
Me: So you want me to bill my client for hours I'm not working for them?
Higher-up: "No, of course not."

It turns out this person somehow believes that you can do focused work on internal projects in 5-10 minute increments while waiting for an answer to a question or for builds to run. I have tried to disabuse them of this notion, but I don't think it has worked. Luckily this person is not my boss, and I am scheduled to have a conversation with my boss soon anyway, so I'm just pretending these internal projects don't exist for the time being.

This company used to be great to work for, too. Oh well.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Talking with higher-ups.

I've never been in this situation, but I have been told the way to answer this is, "I will get started on the internal projects. Client projects will be delayed X amount of time."

Is that tenable? Or is this expecting too much rationality from someone hinting that you need to do internal projects off the clock?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I've never been in this situation, but I have been told the way to answer this is, "I will get started on the internal projects. Client projects will be delayed X amount of time."

Is that tenable? Or is this expecting too much rationality from someone hinting that you need to do internal projects off the clock?

Stick to your guns. If the whole place isn't total poo poo, the idiot PM will eventually get fired.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

ThePopeOfFun posted:

that's exactly what OP said?

phrasing might be different but that's the gist of it, and the mental model of dev work revealed in the aftermath was certainly worth discovering

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Yeah, gently caress this guy, you work for your boss, not the PM.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

ThePopeOfFun posted:

No, because I had the circular conversation already that covered both of those points. The expectation is that the internal projects simultaneously won't impact my work and won't require me to spend extra time working.

There are 4 possibilities, one of which must be true:

- I work extra
- I don't work on internal projects
- I don't do client work
- I defraud my client by lying about billable hours

I have eliminated all of them as possibilities. The expected way this is going to happen is that I fill in "spare time" (i.e. dead time between meetings, waiting on builds to complete, etc) throughout the day. I received pushback when I explained how context switching works and how it eats up a tremendous amount of time.

Volmarias posted:

Yeah, gently caress this guy, you work for your boss, not the PM.

My boss is the one who wants people working on internal projects. I just don't think it's well-understood (or maybe just "not believed") that I'm actually very busy with this client, not sitting around twiddling my thumbs all day.

But yeah I'm just expressing frustration and bemusement by the situation. I have no problem saying "if you have a problem with how I'm doing my job then loving fire me", if it comes down to it. :shrug:

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 30, 2022

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

That higher-up probably assumes you do as much dicking around during work as they do.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

cum jabbar posted:

Stick to your guns. If the whole place isn't total poo poo, the idiot PM will eventually get fired.

This make sense.

The expected way this is going to happen is that I fill in "spare time" (i.e. dead time between meetings, waiting on builds to complete, etc) throughout the day. I received pushback when I explained how context switching works and how it eats up a tremendous amount of time.

Mind numbing. Thank you for explaining. I'm starting an entry level dev position in September coming from marketing, and restaurants before that. It's helpful to see your thoughts behind handling the bullshit.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

ThePopeOfFun posted:

This make sense.

Mind numbing. Thank you for explaining. I'm starting an entry level dev position in September coming from marketing, and restaurants before that. It's helpful to see your thoughts behind handling the bullshit.

Don't take my actions as good actions for someone new to the job to take. I've been with the company for over a decade, have built up a fair amount of clout and a reputation for delivering good results, so I can afford to get into a pissing match with executives without immediately getting fired

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Rant:

Found out ten minutes before 5 PM today that the dependency that is responsible for the authentication of our internal SSO users been half-broken for login on one mobile platform for months. They first identified the issue in June and just cut tickets to consumers asking us to validate whether we're impacted, completely buried the lead of "!!! USER AUTHENTICATION MIGHT BE BROKEN !!!" in a few a paragraphs of low-priority weasel words, so, when they cut to the wrong team in our org, the ticket never got attention, let alone passed on to us. Why they didn't turn off their breaking change across the board until they could pin down the root cause and either fix it or communicate effectively to consumers is beyond me.

We, of course, only found out about it from an internal customer report months later because the owners of our logging/metrics endpoint refuses to allocate resources to enable logging/metrics from unauthenticated users, leaving us flying near-completely blind for anything prior to successful authentication. I'm virtually positive this resulted from a profoundly lazy handling of the initial security review, where they decided to just deny all unauthenticated requests instead of take a single minute to justify on the questionnaire with "Yes, obviously we need to ensure logs and metrics can be gathered from unauthenticated users."

Fortunately it's only half broken and auth can be achieved through other means, but JFC.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

No, because I had the circular conversation already that covered both of those points. The expectation is that the internal projects simultaneously won't impact my work and won't require me to spend extra time working.

There are 4 possibilities, one of which must be true:

- I work extra
- I don't work on internal projects
- I don't do client work
- I defraud my client by lying about billable hours

I have eliminated all of them as possibilities. The expected way this is going to happen is that I fill in "spare time" (i.e. dead time between meetings, waiting on builds to complete, etc) throughout the day. I received pushback when I explained how context switching works and how it eats up a tremendous amount of time.

My boss is the one who wants people working on internal projects. I just don't think it's well-understood (or maybe just "not believed") that I'm actually very busy with this client, not sitting around twiddling my thumbs all day.

When I was presented with this situation myself, I picked option 2.5 - "I don't work on internal projects, but say I will try, given time constraints" Rather than outright arguing with PM / my boss, I expressed reservations about being able to get this done, but agreed to "try." I resolved to do nothing on the internal project, and proceeded along those lines. Within a matter of months, both the PM and my boss had left the company - apparently the project was more important for their careers than mine, and the problem went away.

If the project were important, they'd like... give it real resources. If they're giving it to someone to do in their spare time, it means it doesn't have enough backing for them to actually give it a budget or resources, but they need to say that they're doing it because it's the pet project of some rear end in a top hat. That's not a good strategy if the project is important to one's career, and if it's not important, then why bother doing it?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

When I was presented with this situation myself, I picked option 2.5 - "I don't work on internal projects, but say I will try, given time constraints" Rather than outright arguing with PM / my boss, I expressed reservations about being able to get this done, but agreed to "try." I resolved to do nothing on the internal project, and proceeded along those lines. Within a matter of months, both the PM and my boss had left the company - apparently the project was more important for their careers than mine, and the problem went away.

If the project were important, they'd like... give it real resources. If they're giving it to someone to do in their spare time, it means it doesn't have enough backing for them to actually give it a budget or resources, but they need to say that they're doing it because it's the pet project of some rear end in a top hat. That's not a good strategy if the project is important to one's career, and if it's not important, then why bother doing it?

That's a solid approach, and was my initial tack, once it was clear what was happening.

Then I started getting asked for status updates and getting infuriating snide remarks about my time management.

FWIW, I'm one of 5 people who is in this situation right now and we all are baffled and pissed, so the most likely outcome is that these side projects wither and die.

It's actually a shame because these initiatives are things that we desperately need and I've been trying to get us to do for years. I'd love to be able to focus on them and give them the attention they deserve.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Whatever else happens don't do this

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
The traditional approach to internal projects at a consultancy is to just push them off forever while never canceling them or admitting anything is amiss.

Fun fact: I did some analysis at my old company for what it would "cost" us to staff and run a team for ourselves. Couldn't afford it.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Xguard86 posted:

The traditional approach to internal projects at a consultancy is to just push them off forever while never canceling them or admitting anything is amiss.

This. They just gradually fade away.

I had a meeting with my boss today. Apparently the guy who I want to see maimed by lions loves me and was pushing for me to get a good bonus and raise. So I don't know what his loving problem is. Raise was pretty good, bonus nothing to sneeze at. So my rage has been tempered by money, at least for now.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware/Software Crap > The Cavern of COBOL > Working in Development: my rage has been tempered by money

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Working on multiple projects at once has a ton of downsides, and very few upsides. Don't do it. Also, if you have significant downtime on a project you or someone above you are working that project wrong.

Maybe see if they are willing to schedule the internal project for after you have finished your time on the client project.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 1, 2022

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

ultrafilter posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware/Software Crap > The Cavern of COBOL > Working in Development: my rage has been tempered by money

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

This. They just gradually fade away.

I had a meeting with my boss today. Apparently the guy who I want to see maimed by lions loves me and was pushing for me to get a good bonus and raise. So I don't know what his loving problem is. Raise was pretty good, bonus nothing to sneeze at. So my rage has been tempered by money, at least for now.

Is he just completely socially inept? I've worked with some folks that I thought were always angry with me but then gave good feedback to my manager.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

captkirk posted:

Is he just completely socially inept? I've worked with some folks that I thought were always angry with me but then gave good feedback to my manager.

Nah he's a sales guy. Kind of jock-bro-y. I think that's how he bonds with his peers. It's different than what I perceive as friendly poo poo-talking, but I think that is what's it's intended as.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Nah he's a sales guy. Kind of jock-bro-y. I think that's how he bonds with his peers. It's different than what I perceive as friendly poo poo-talking, but I think that is what's it's intended as.

Try chest bumping him and calling him a homophobic slur, see how it goes? Maybe you bond!

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

they need to say that they're doing it because it's the pet project of some rear end in a top hat

It's actually a shame because these initiatives are things that we desperately need and I've been trying to get us to do for years

:thunk:

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

It's actually a shame because these initiatives are things that we desperately need and I've been trying to get us to do for years. I'd love to be able to focus on them and give them the attention they deserve.
Sounds to me like they're telling you that you can do it so you'll stop bringing it up, but not helping you fit it into your work because they don't really want you to do it. Maybe?

Also, I'm returning to work from a month of vacation on Monday, and I'm really not looking forward to it. In the lead up to vacation I've been feeling like I get less done then usual, my motivation's been kinda shot and I've started to think I don't want to remain primarily a developer.

I'm a largely self-taught digital accessibility expert, informally I'm the team "accessibility champion", and I want to start doing more work focusing on that and less pure development. How do I bring this up to my boss in a good way? Is it a pivot that makes sense within the same company, or should I focus on getting some proper certifications and applying for other jobs? I want to switch because it's something I genuinely care about and think helps people, while programming the way I do now mostly just helps produce profit which just isn't something I care about at all.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Someone at my work has decided a brilliant idea is splitting our app up into modules so instead of just having the app and all the code resides in its repo there are a bunch of modules (Maybe in separate repos) that you build into packages (or don't they haven't decided) to build the app. The reason for this? To make it easier to work on an individual module without breaking other ones. Except most product features will touch most modules so all it achieves is making the app more complex.

It's already been cut down from individual repos building npm packages to a glorified folder restructuring. We still have a full team of folk working on this and every other team has to think about the modularisation when doing literally anything else just incase it would be a problem. We're going to spend nearly a million bucks developing this, it's insane.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Woebin posted:

I'm a largely self-taught digital accessibility expert, informally I'm the team "accessibility champion", and I want to start doing more work focusing on that and less pure development. How do I bring this up to my boss in a good way? Is it a pivot that makes sense within the same company, or should I focus on getting some proper certifications and applying for other jobs? I want to switch because it's something I genuinely care about and think helps people, while programming the way I do now mostly just helps produce profit which just isn't something I care about at all.

Accessibility is something that falls by the wayside without a constant hand on the tiller, which means there is often a job role for someone to be that expert. Not necessarily is developing the solutions but in compliance. It really depends on your industry, the stick you can use is you might be legally obligated to be accessible be it 508 in the US or WCAG in Europe. With the carrot being that constant maintenance of a solution is cheaper than getting hit with an ADA complaint and having to do a ton of remedial work.

So you can swing this IF your current company is legally obliged to be compliant. It's unlikely someone would get budget to authorise this role if they weren't.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Aramoro posted:

Accessibility is something that falls by the wayside without a constant hand on the tiller, which means there is often a job role for someone to be that expert. Not necessarily is developing the solutions but in compliance. It really depends on your industry, the stick you can use is you might be legally obligated to be accessible be it 508 in the US or WCAG in Europe. With the carrot being that constant maintenance of a solution is cheaper than getting hit with an ADA complaint and having to do a ton of remedial work.

So you can swing this IF your current company is legally obliged to be compliant. It's unlikely someone would get budget to authorise this role if they weren't.
Legally obligated for sure, but tends to be treated as optional anyway. Like "we're obligated but getting audited and fined isn't super likely so it's not worth investing in".

But yeah, gonna try pushing on that spot a bit more, see what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Aramoro posted:

Someone at my work has decided a brilliant idea is splitting our app up into modules

I have a few separate web applications that share the same magic string values. They can technically be anything, as long as they match. I keep having a tendril of thought go, "These values should be in a library!" until a louder thought goes, "gently caress that!" and I just drop another "keep this in sync with (other application)" comment.