Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Bad Purchase posted:

what about someone who went to art school and still ended up a libertarian, cancel their debt too?

No point, they'll have already paid it all off with their enormous Patreon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

LanceHunter posted:

No point, they'll have already paid it all off with their enormous onlyfans.

Ftfy

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bad Purchase posted:

what about someone who went to art school and still ended up a libertarian, cancel their debt too?

Pretty sure people in prison aren't eligible for debt relief.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Das Boo posted:

I paid off my student loans five years into my ten year plan and it tanked my credit score, loooool.

Being too good at paying for stuff should be punished, I say!

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Pretty sure people in prison aren't eligible for debt relief.

:iceburn:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
currently biden is the greatest president in my lifetime based on my calculations

Biden: gave me $20k
Trump: gave me like, idk $3k
Obama and Bush: allocated my tax money to blowing up brown people, a net loss

thanks for your time

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Das Boo posted:

I paid off my student loans five years into my ten year plan and it tanked my credit score, loooool.

capital doesn't want you to not have debt. they want you to have the correct amount of debt, which is the most you can possibly bear without defaulting

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

all biden has to do is not start another war and, yeah, it’s tremendously funny that he will go down as the best president in my lifetime. he has 2 years left to gently caress it up though.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Das Boo posted:

It's cool how student loans can only hurt your credit and never help

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
obviously im being facetious and some good stuff happened under Obama too. just wanted to joke about how somehow biden has benefitted me personally more than any other president which is loving insane

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

student loans can help your credit score a lot of you had no or few lines of prior credit

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

eonwe posted:

currently biden is the greatest president in my lifetime based on my calculations

thanks for your time

Bush gave every hardworkng American $300 big ones, that rear end in a top hat

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cacafuego posted:

Bush gave every hardworkng American $300 big ones, that rear end in a top hat

list amended:

Greatest president in my lifetime:

Biden: Gave me $20k
Trump: Gave me $3k
Bush: Gave me $300
Obama: literally gave me nothing, what the gently caress bro

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

eonwe posted:

thanks for your time

🅱️ational 🅱️elf 🅱️interest, 🅱️ery 🅱️EMlord

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Private Cumshoe posted:

🅱️ational 🅱️elf 🅱️interest, 🅱️ery 🅱️EMlord

excuse me, i have both a History degree and an IT degree

I'm a liberal arts stemlord. an unholy fusion of worthless and not worthless

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

eonwe posted:

excuse me, i have both a History degree and an IT degree

I'm a liberal arts stemlord. an unholy fusion of worthless and not worthless

wait do you get to double dip on forgiveness for your liberal arts degree loans and your ITT Tech degree?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
wow i have a real IT degree, not an ITT tech degree

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
If your loan account number starts with "E" you're eligible for at least the 10k. Even with the student loan websites down you can probably dig up your account # out of your email or from an old statement or something.

Mine starts with E, I make less than the cutoff, I received Pell grants, and I only owed 17k. I think... I just got cleared?

They probably need a 2021 tax return on file though. Which I haven't done lol

naem
May 29, 2011

Bad Purchase posted:

all biden has to do is not start another war and, yeah, it’s tremendously funny that he will go down as the best president in my lifetime. he has 2 years left to gently caress it up though.

I am incredibly pleased with Bidens average-ness

he will go down in history as a president

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Uncle Enzo posted:

If your loan account number starts with "E" you're eligible for at least the 10k. Even with the student loan websites down you can probably dig up your account # out of your email or from an old statement or something.

Mine starts with E, I make less than the cutoff, I received Pell grants, and I only owed 17k. I think... I just got cleared?

They probably need a 2021 tax return on file though. Which I haven't done lol

idk how to find that, but if the guarantor is the Department of Education and/or your loans are Direct loans (doesnt matter subsidized or unsubsidized) I would imagine you qualify.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

🅱️oring 🅱️

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

can't believe biden is good now

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Wrong thread

naem
May 29, 2011

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

can't believe biden is good now

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

eonwe posted:

idk how to find that, but if the guarantor is the Department of Education and/or your loans are Direct loans (doesnt matter subsidized or unsubsidized) I would imagine you qualify.

Search in your email for "student loan balance" or "student loan statement". I found emails about the various payment pauses that had a partial account number on them.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Attention all STEM lords: now is probably a great time to invest in art supply and stationary businesses like Papersource as all the liberal arts majors begin frivolling away their students loan savings on expensive fountain pens and fancy art paper and what-have-you.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
i can quit my job and write a book while sitting outside with a coffee like the julia roberts movie THANK YOU joe biden

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I see the right-wing propaganda machine was prepared for this eventuality - every other headline I see from a Murdoch property is using terms like "handout" and "unfair" and "inflation." They're absolutely scurrying to cast this as something bad and scary to their audience of angry idiots. I haven't dug in too deeply (and probably won't) but I assume it is going to end up going racist, too. "Arghle barghle affirmative action arghle white replacement barghle inflation arghle barghle and this is why we need to elect Hitler!"

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
That's why you got $2000 last year, these hundred quid are for serious stemlords only

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I see the right-wing propaganda machine was prepared for this eventuality - every other headline I see from a Murdoch property is using terms like "handout" and "unfair" and "inflation." They're absolutely scurrying to cast this as something bad and scary to their audience of angry idiots. I haven't dug in too deeply (and probably won't) but I assume it is going to end up going racist, too. "Arghle barghle affirmative action arghle white replacement barghle inflation arghle barghle and this is why we need to elect Hitler!"

they can suck my dick

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

otoh
democra🅱️s

it's a zero sum game and only the STEM lords ever come out on top

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

walking past the british lit major as i pick up my engineering masters diploma

heh, nothing personal, kid

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
I got my first Masters entirely on my own dime with debt and work. Paid it off by folding it into my mortgage.

I will gladly take 20k in forgiveness on my new debt for my MPH, please and thank you.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Bad Purchase posted:

student loans can help your credit score a lot of you had no or few lines of prior credit

I didn't, and it did help for as long as I was paying it. It was when I paid it off it hurt me and I had to bite the bullet and finally get a drat credit card. Which I know I should have done earlier, but only for this stupid credit score system.

It's kinda dumb to me that years of paying bills ahead of/on-time does jack for your credit.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Das Boo posted:

I didn't, and it did help for as long as I was paying it. It was when I paid it off it hurt me and I had to bite the bullet and finally get a drat credit card. Which I know I should have done earlier, but only for this stupid credit score system.

It's kinda dumb to me that years of paying bills ahead of/on-time does jack for your credit.

I'm guessing you must have a liberal arts degree, in STEM courses you realize all the loving math is bullshit when you have calculators capable of symbolic algebra but you just roll with it to get your 🅰️ and move on with your life

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

yeah, your credit score will go down when your lines of credit decrease too much or when the average age of your credit accounts goes down. it's dumb because paying off loans or simply closing a credit card account you don't need anymore can reduce your credit score, which doesn't make sense until you realize that credit scores are a metric lenders use to decide how valuable you are as a customer and not how financially responsible you are.

they want people who will stay in debt for a long time, not people who pay off their loans and don't pile on more.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I'm going to use this time free of servicing debt to write a really pretentious screenplay that no one likes and nobody can even read because it's just so loving snooty and full of itself and I go to my grave convinced I'm an underappreciated genius, having achieved nothing in life

Thanks 🅱️oe!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Now that I've calculated it, the $10k off my undergrad loans will shoot me down to ~$7k and then if you get loan forgiveness for under $12k...

Holy poo poo my undergrad loans are gonna be paid off :aaaaa:

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Now that I've calculated it, the $10k off my undergrad loans will shoot me down to ~$7k and then if you get loan forgiveness for under $12k...

Holy poo poo my undergrad loans are gonna be paid off :aaaaa:

Should have been easy to pay those off on a moderator's salary, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Smugworth posted:

Should have been easy to pay those off on a moderator's salary, op

Jeff keeps saying the SA IPO will be up "any day now" but he needs a bit more cash from us for SEC filings and lawyers like every month

Starting to get a bit sus