Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

SlowBloke posted:

One is reversible, the other isn't?
I guess. If I felt strongly enough to spend thousands to change the color of my car, I think I'd commit to it.

bird with big dick posted:

I'm not sure $3200 buys you much of a paintjob here either. Tbh I'd expect to pay a minimum of about twice that for a quality one based off some of the work I've had done recently but I could be off.
Maybe so, I have no idea. I remember reading once that a near-factory-level paint job on a sedan would run around $3000, but now that I think about it, that would have been about 12 years ago, when my wife bought a boring gray car and wondered if it could be not-gray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

So here’s a trip report.

I drove down from SF to LA twice with the Mach-E the past few weeks. Some observations:

• Range anxiety wasn’t that bad honestly. I have the Premium trim, so I started off at 100% at 290 miles remaining (Ford estimates are 270 miles but it’s Summer and it’s hot so)
  • I was driving around 72-75mph through most of it, until I hit LA proper. Carpool lane helped a tad bit.

• I ended up stopping twice during each part of the trip; both were EA stations. One was at Firebaugh which was across the road from the Tesla SC area, took about 15-20 minutes. The other was in Bakersfield, near a Target/McDonald’s. I was at 27% and let it go to 80% as I was having lunch in McD, took about 35-40 minutes. I ended up reaching my destination with about 18-19% I think. Which is plenty to find a charger nearby since it’s SoCal.
  • I had my wife and kid (in a booster seat) so there really weren’t any complaints on comfort, besides the usual “Are we there yet” issues. In fact, both stops helped since it offered a pee break and some snacks with said stops.
  • On the way back to SF, I was recommended to go to the Lost Hills EA station, where I found out that only one out of the four stations was actually working and managed to get the lone station. Oh well.
  • For the first trip down to LA, I bought the monthly subscription for ABRP to see what I can tinker around with and it is quite conservative. Not that it’s bad but I’d rather have that conservative inaccuracy than the opposite.
  • I also had the EA app handy so it was good to check 10 miles from the EA station to see how busy the stalls were and whether we had to drive elsewhere.
  • With the second trip to LA, I used Ford navigation instead and I found it had a better analysis of the car since it was pretty much real-time with the percentages and miles to the destination. I don’t remember if Ford’s Navigation can check the availability of a charging stall, if so that would’ve been awesome; I ended up using the EA app to check anyway.
  • I didn’t have much of the 250 kWh credit from Ford/EA, so the first trip pretty much wiped it all out. With the second trip I spent about $40 traveling one way (EA charges $0.43/kWh). I keep track of how much is spent using the Road Trip app, so that was neat.

There’s probably more to add, but all in all would do again 10/10

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

WhiteHowler posted:

I guess. If I felt strongly enough to spend thousands to change the color of my car, I think I'd commit to it.

Maybe so, I have no idea. I remember reading once that a near-factory-level paint job on a sedan would run around $3000, but now that I think about it, that would have been about 12 years ago, when my wife bought a boring gray car and wondered if it could be not-gray.

I'd expect a real good paint job fully masked to run about $7k. A wrap is the way to go unless you're repairing damage.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Is it just coincidental that wraps became commonplace with Tesla’s, or does their design just happen to make these mods easy? I swear I never saw this stuff until purple model S’s showed up.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

WhiteHowler posted:

A wrap protects the paint and can be relatively easily removed so when it’s time to sell the car you can just pull the wrap off and have a nice factory paint job underneath so the next owner doesn’t have to like whatever weird rear end fluorescent anime wrap you got put on.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

Clench kegels for regenerative braking

Thread title

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nuts and Gum posted:

Is it just coincidental that wraps became commonplace with Tesla’s, or does their design just happen to make these mods easy? I swear I never saw this stuff until purple model S’s showed up.

Wraps have gotten a lot better in the last decade or so is probably the biggest part of it. Plus Tesla palette is simple and well known so wraps stand out. You are less likely to notice a wrapped Cobalt (or you will assume it is paint)

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Wraps have gotten a lot better in the last decade or so is probably the biggest part of it. Plus Tesla palette is simple and well known so wraps stand out. You are less likely to notice a wrapped Cobalt (or you will assume it is paint)

You're less likely to notice a Cobalt, period.

I had one as a loaner while my old car was in the shop. The only impressive thing about that car was it felt cheaper than it actually was. Only car I've ever driven to make me think that maybe the Geo Metro wasn't that bad really.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'd expect a real good paint job fully masked to run about $7k. A wrap is the way to go unless you're repairing damage.
Wow, that's crazy.

I'm picky about my car colors, but I don't think I'd pay anywhere near that much.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

A wrap protects the paint and can be relatively easily removed so when it’s time to sell the car you can just pull the wrap off and have a nice factory paint job underneath so the next owner doesn’t have to like whatever weird rear end fluorescent anime wrap you got put on.

How durable are they? If it gets dinged or gouged, is it repairable? My car is a magnet for people opening their door into it, or backing into my bumper/rear quarter panel while it's parked.

I mean, it's kind of academic since at this point I likely won't get a new car until early 2023. The new tax credit killed my chances of buying anything this year, unless my local dealer randomly gets someone backing out of a Mach-E preorder.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

cruft posted:

Yup, tell us what your budget is, and any requirements. Like some people are like "hard pass on Tesla" and other people are like "hard pass on dealerships". :)

It'd also be handy to know what you'd like, but aren't married to.

And lastly, let us know whether you have a parking spot near an electrical system that you own. Like, if you rent, that's going to flavor our recommendations.

easy enough!

budget: i've come into some money as of late, so i'm willing to spend a good deal if the car's worth it. obviously the cheaper the better.

use: main car. i'll be using this to motor around tucson for the most part. we'll certainly take some road trips to northern az, utah, el paso, and various parts of california, but i can't see making more than three or four of those per year. i do not commute for work, so i'd mostly use this to get groceries, go to restaurants, movies, etc.

requirements: yea, i'd like to avoid tesla. i kind of hate everything about the brand, at least. that's...about it. would probably need to be a hybrid as tucson is not all that ev-friendly from what i can tell.

what i like: uhh, well, what i like is probably not possible. my ideal car is probably an '86 jaguar xj6, which is about as far away as modern ev design as it gets. so...something not so garish would be great. i am not looking for an suv or anything close. just a simple sedan. having driven a few modern cars lately, i do like the middle dashboards with gps and apple connectivity. siriusxm is also great.

how i drive: very conservative behind the wheel, completely non-aggressive.

situation: i rent our home, but may be able to convince my landlord to add whatever needs to be added. i pay for the power at the place so i don't see why it wouldn't be fine? and if it's relatively cheap to add the necessary equpiment, sure. as for tucson itself, there are some charging stations here and there, but not terribly many.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

One thing you should find out pretty quickly is if / how the new tax incentives for next year will impact your decision. The rules on which vehicles get the $7500 tax rebate are about to change dramatically. That may impact both your decision on which make/model to look at, and the timing of your purchase.

yea, this would be good to know as well. i'm not familiar with what arizona would do so i can do some research there.

i think these answers encompass what everybody asked. if not, just ask again and i'll answer.

thanks for all of the help so far.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

WhiteHowler posted:

Wow, that's crazy.

I'm picky about my car colors, but I don't think I'd pay anywhere near that much.

How many hours of work would you expect a properly done paint job to require? Its probably over 40 hours to remove trim and non painted surfaces, mask, sand, lay down primer/paint/clearcoat, then buffing it out before they are done. Figure a labor rate north of $100/hr and you're already over $5k before any material costs.

You don't want a cheap paint job because it means they probably skipped some important steps to save time.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

abelwingnut posted:

easy enough!

budget: i've come into some money as of late, so i'm willing to spend a good deal if the car's worth it. obviously the cheaper the better.

use: main car. i'll be using this to motor around tucson for the most part. we'll certainly take some road trips to northern az, utah, el paso, and various parts of california, but i can't see making more than three or four of those per year. i do not commute for work, so i'd mostly use this to get groceries, go to restaurants, movies, etc.

requirements: yea, i'd like to avoid tesla. i kind of hate everything about the brand, at least. that's...about it. would probably need to be a hybrid as tucson is not all that ev-friendly from what i can tell.

what i like: uhh, well, what i like is probably not possible. my ideal car is probably an '86 jaguar xj6, which is about as far away as modern ev design as it gets. so...something not so garish would be great. i am not looking for an suv or anything close. just a simple sedan. having driven a few modern cars lately, i do like the middle dashboards with gps and apple connectivity. siriusxm is also great.

how i drive: very conservative behind the wheel, completely non-aggressive.

situation: i rent our home, but may be able to convince my landlord to add whatever needs to be added. i pay for the power at the place so i don't see why it wouldn't be fine? and if it's relatively cheap to add the necessary equpiment, sure. as for tucson itself, there are some charging stations here and there, but not terribly many.

yea, this would be good to know as well. i'm not familiar with what arizona would do so i can do some research there.

i think these answers encompass what everybody asked. if not, just ask again and i'll answer.

thanks for all of the help so far.

If you live in Tucson, you probably won't need chargers in Tucson. (as long as you get that home charger installed)
You should get a Polestar 2. Going PHEV will just make you regret not going full EV.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Yeah, Polestar 2 or Tesla Model 3 SR+ are good choices if you want a sedan and not some giant SUV. (Orders for the Tesla Model 3 Long Range are so backed up they stopped taking them for now and deliveries likely won't catch up till 2023 at this point, though a Model 3 Performance can be picked up sooner but they are so ridiculously powerful it wouldn't suit your conservative driving style.)

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Wayne Knight posted:

If you live in Tucson, you probably won't need chargers in Tucson. (as long as you get that home charger installed)
You should get a Polestar 2. Going PHEV will just make you regret not going full EV.

why wouldn't i need a charger in tucson? just because it's small? and what about while travelling? i imagine i'd have to go mostly gas on those. the southwest outside of ca and vegas seems pretty bleak for charging stations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Wayne is referring to DCFC, not the charger you put in your house. You'll have a couple hundred miles range so if you need to charge in Tucson you just go home.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yeah most people don't drive 270mi in a day, so you are unlikely to need a charger when driving around town assuming you have a charger at home. You leave with a full "tank" every morning.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Stultus Maximus posted:

Allow me to introduce you to my friend Earl…

My friend got one of those I think they painted over some bird poo poo.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

abelwingnut posted:

easy enough!

:words:

Polestar or Kia EV6.

But first you should start talking to your landlord about installing an L2 charger. This will improve the property value and they may be willing to take something off your rent for a while if you foot the bill. This is going to make a huge difference in your experience owning an EV.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
An L2 charger is definitely an improvement, but if you're averaging 10-20 miles a day, you can probably get away with a standard 110v household outlet and a mobile charger.

Sadly, the EV market is really focused on SUV/Crossovers right now, mostly because those are the money-makers. In terms of standard sedans, there's really Tesla Model 3/S, the Polestar 1, and I guess the Lucid Airs that I can immediately recall. We don't get much in the way of big vans (with decent range), the only convertible experience is really the OG Tesla Roadster, and nobody's done an EV hot hatch. No, the Bolt/Volt/Leaf/Prius fail the "hot" part.

For you, abelwingnut, something in the Bolt lineup might make sense? They're certainly not flashy or setting speed records, but they're full-electric perfectly reasonable commuter-mobiles. Biggest knock is they're closer to a hatchback than sedan.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I do 50miles/day on my EV6 and 110v trickle charging has covered for me all year. It just about covers/recharges the commute every night. I might lose 1-2% if I drive or go somewhere else. I generally end the week still in the 90's and even with some weekend driving I'll start the next week full.

(on the off chance I do some serious, 150+ miles a day driving, I do have a free L2 charger at work I can use to top off which I've used like 3 times this year)

Like unless you do A LOT of driving, you'd be surprised with how much you could get away trickle charging an EV with 300+ mile range. The main convenience of L2 charging at home is having that range available every single day.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Are any items supporting L2 chargers other than cars? Wondering if they become widespread enough if cordless yard tools like a lawnmower or even an ebike might.

Or perhaps charging off 110V@15A is good enough and there are safety issues..

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.

priznat posted:

Are any items supporting L2 chargers other than cars? Wondering if they become widespread enough if cordless yard tools like a lawnmower or even an ebike might.

Or perhaps charging off 110V@15A is good enough and there are safety issues..

I, too, am wondering if there is a lawnmower out there that uses 12KW to convert your grass into plasma.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Like unless you do A LOT of driving, you'd be surprised with how much you could get away trickle charging an EV with 300+ mile range. The main convenience of L2 charging at home is having that range available every single day.

This is good advice. I keep forgetting that there are people who don't have to drive 50 miles to get to Wal-Mart.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Eyes Only posted:

I, too, am wondering if there is a lawnmower out there that uses 12KW to convert your grass into plasma.

I need my lawnmower to charge in 10 seconds. Otherwise what's the point - I'll just fill it up with gas!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

WhiteHowler posted:

Depending on your car and your long-term plans for it you might be incentivized to keep the paint stock, even if it’s boring

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I think you should get a BMW iX m60. Yes, you. You deserve it. Treat yourself.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Tucson is a prime place to have an ebike, just saying.

from personal experience

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

I agree

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

What the hell did I do wrong to deserve a BMW????? :(

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Failed to use your turn signal that one time.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
So my 2022 bolt ev arrived tonight, and the guy didn't bring the level 2 charging cable. I plugged it in to every outlet in my garage but the instrument panel says "unable to charge" no matter what plug I put it in. They also delivered it with only like 15 miles of range left on it and I need to get to work tomorrow. Anyone have any ideas? This is a brand new car and I feel like I must be missing something here.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

SoR Blaze posted:

So my 2022 bolt ev arrived tonight, and the guy didn't bring the level 2 charging cable. I plugged it in to every outlet in my garage but the instrument panel says "unable to charge" no matter what plug I put it in. They also delivered it with only like 15 miles of range left on it and I need to get to work tomorrow. Anyone have any ideas? This is a brand new car and I feel like I must be missing something here.

Call the dealer and just scream continuously down the phone until they bring the cable

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Strong "leaving plastic wrap on seats" energy here.

Why have something nice if you refuse to enjoy it? Wraps look awful.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

builds character posted:

Less than 100 is pretty terrible. 2wd is fine - the dirt bikes are for anything gnarly.

Queen sized crosswise is pretty great. As is 250 miles. But not highroof, right?

GM BrightDrop’s rear doorway is 72” in height so inside it’s got even more headroom (82”) . Also comes in 4WD. 165kwh of batteries, same platform as other GM products.

It holds a record for range:

quote:

BrightDrop driver Stephen Marlin has successfully attempted a Guinness World Records range drive in the Zevo 600. Marlin drove the Zevo 600 for nearly 260 miles in a trip from New York City to Washington, D.C. on a single charge. This is the longest distance an electric van has covered on a single charge. Marlin made stops at some iconic destinations during the trip, including landmarks in Philadelphia and Baltimore.

Also …

quote:

The energy efficiency reading on the instrument cluster during Ars Technica’s brief drive was a decent 1.8 miles/kWh over 348 miles. No less than 260 miles of the drive was at highway speed.

Which is pretty amazing for a vehicle this size (yes, with that height too)

More info here: https://topelectricsuv.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/Brightdrop-Zevo-600-rear-view.jpg

If the transit had a bigger battery it would make sense because of the van conversion kits. Converting a BrightDrop is going to be an entirely bespoke affair. Also I have no idea what GM charges for these.

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Aug 25, 2022

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Steakandchips posted:

A bad wrap looks awful. A good wrap you cant tell at all the car was wrapped

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Steakandchips posted:

Wraps look awful.

wrong, bad, dumb

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

SoR Blaze posted:

So I took it down to the Blink station at my public library, and on the way the battery got low enough that it no longer displayed the range estimate. When I got there, the charging station required a tap card, which I do not have, and said that charging via a code (I'm assuming I would get that from the app) was disabled. Now it's sitting in my driveway with pretty much 0 charge. I'm fortunate enough that I could get home, but this is super disappointing and I'm really bummed out.

I'm hoping the dealership will at least overnight me the level 2 cable, because otherwise I don't know what to do. I tried every outlet in my garage with the level 1 cable and every one gave me the "unable to charge" error. Is this potentially a problem with the car, or with the wiring in my garage?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

SoR Blaze posted:

So I took it down to the Blink station at my public library, and on the way the battery got low enough that it no longer displayed the range estimate. When I got there, the charging station required a tap card, which I do not have, and said that charging via a code (I'm assuming I would get that from the app) was disabled. Now it's sitting in my driveway with pretty much 0 charge. I'm fortunate enough that I could get home, but this is super disappointing and I'm really bummed out.

I'm hoping the dealership will at least overnight me the level 2 cable, because otherwise I don't know what to do. I tried every outlet in my garage with the level 1 cable and every one gave me the "unable to charge" error. Is this potentially a problem with the car, or with the wiring in my garage?

I had to buy a 3rd party charger to do level 1 in my place because the Kia charger did that.,

In my case it’s the house (rented duplex). The entire place was wired by amateurs.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Steakandchips posted:

Strong "leaving plastic wrap on seats" energy here.

I’ve never gotten a car wrapped but a) a well done wrap looks indistinguishable from a paint job and b) I don’t think a wrap makes a car less fun to drive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wraps and paint jobs are tied old boring stuff. It’s all about LEDs now.