Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Wow, you knew Chris Kyle's killer? sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yeah that slipped out, was weird as gently caress, was an old co worker, took a bunch of us out shooting.

Glad you survived

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Woodrow, you're alright. Don't come to work tomorrow

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Not every gun comes with a safety that actually physically blocks firing in some way, most are just a trigger safety of some type that would do nothing in a bad drop or a mechanical failure and just prevents the trigger from pulling. For a good safety pretty much you want to look for slide-mounted safeties on handguns since it may include a blocker, or if it's impossible to engage the safety without the internal hammer already being cocked on long guns which ironically includes ARs. The only ones I know of with a 100% safety are Soviet handguns like the Makarov which blocks the pin and also grabs it internally.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

sticking to, like, condition 3 and just not keeping a round chambered seems like common sense. but I guess seconds matter when you're a boomer shithead and skateboarders aren't showing you the respect you earned inherited or you're a cop and you feel an overwhelming urge to murder a dog or a black kid right now this very second

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
My boomer dad was trying to unload a revolver that rusted shut at storage facility. Wouldn't accept help or advice. Ended up firing it because he doesn't know that flicking the hammer forward is how they fire and the trigger is just to make that easier. We booked it out of there and if he had it a little to the left or moved it that way I would have a scar on my leg at a minimum lol.

I got it open later with 3 minutes of effort and a little oil, probably didn't even strictly need the oil. I still have the spent casing

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Calibanibal posted:

Woodrow, you're alright. Don't come to work tomorrow

Lmao

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

skooma512 posted:

My boomer dad was trying to unload a revolver that rusted shut at storage facility. Wouldn't accept help or advice. Ended up firing it because he doesn't know that flicking the hammer forward is how they fire and the trigger is just to make that easier. We booked it out of there and if he had it a little to the left or moved it that way I would have a scar on my leg at a minimum lol.

I got it open later with 3 minutes of effort and a little oil, probably didn't even strictly need the oil. I still have the spent casing

is your dad Alec Baldwin?

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Retromancer posted:

Wow, you knew Chris Kyle's killer? sick.

lol there was this guy in Hell Let Loose last night named Chris Kyle and he kept team killing everyone on artillery with a bazooka

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe
My boomer deadbeat dad kept a revolver in his boot by the front door. When my brother was 3 and I was 1 my brother found it and from the front door shot a hole in the wall a foot from my head from across the room. My mom left and despite a few court cases never got more than 10% of the child support owed to her for the next 17 years.

many years later through circumstance I was able to fire a prototype of the Smith & Wesson 50cal revolver, which felt pretty cool, America is a land of contrasts

majour333 has issued a correction as of 22:39 on Aug 24, 2022

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

bedpan posted:

is your dad Alec Baldwin?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Shima Honnou posted:

Not every gun comes with a safety that actually physically blocks firing in some way, most are just a trigger safety of some type that would do nothing in a bad drop or a mechanical failure and just prevents the trigger from pulling. For a good safety pretty much you want to look for slide-mounted safeties on handguns since it may include a blocker, or if it's impossible to engage the safety without the internal hammer already being cocked on long guns which ironically includes ARs. The only ones I know of with a 100% safety are Soviet handguns like the Makarov which blocks the pin and also grabs it internally.

I have a 1982 police surplus revolver with the old-style hammer that has the firing pin in it, not drop safe at all; later ones had a trigger safety that interposed a plate between the hammer and firing pin that would move aside when the trigger was pulled. I only ever load it at the range so it's not a big deal to me

I've never seen a revolver with a manual safety on it

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Filthy Hans posted:

I have a 1982 police surplus revolver with the old-style hammer that has the firing pin in it, not drop safe at all; later ones had a trigger safety that interposed a plate between the hammer and firing pin that would move aside when the trigger was pulled. I only ever load it at the range so it's not a big deal to me

I've never seen a revolver with a manual safety on it

They used to make Smith & Wesson revolvers with a safety that required inserting a key to turn the gun on and off.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1562597401767997440?s=20&t=fv-qTtIrSr6WjK_6Pch9ag

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Shima Honnou posted:

They used to make Smith & Wesson revolvers with a safety that required inserting a key to turn the gun on and off.

yeah the airweight/ladysmith .38 revolvers still have those. I was fun shopping last year and the customer reviews on those were full of dozens of chuds bitching and handwringing about hypothetical scenarios like what if the safety mechanism mysteriously locks itself during an active shooter event and they don't have the key to unlock it with them because they never use the safety so why would they have the key and now how are they supposed to defend themselves??

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

custom setting my trigger tension low to blast any creeps instantly. also storing this gun unholstered in the seat pocket in front of my kids carseat.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shima Honnou posted:

er I wouldn't say it's turned off exactly

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Inventing a gun that knows you're going to shoot it before you even reach for it and I'm going to call it a "Glock"

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

mawarannahr posted:

that sucks I’m genuinely sorry someone you knew did that.

Murder rules, actually.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
you, some dweeb who believes in sanctity of life

vs

the Murder Machine, a man imbued with the God-like ability to take one's life

The Outcome? Murder:getin:

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

I own a Glock and haven't accidentally shot any of my kids with it so by that metric that's a better safety record than my 44

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SorePotato posted:

I own a Glock and haven't accidentally shot any of my kids with it so by that metric that's a better safety record than my 44

hey wait

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Are there any pop-history theories on why mailmen stopped "Going Postal"?

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Yesterday’s mailmen are today’s NEETs. It’s the same phenomenon.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

SorePotato posted:

you heard wrong he says punk not runt

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

War and Pieces posted:

They didn't, they were just way overblown and have since been vastly overshadowed by school shootings.

There were two last year

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
i have been working on fully self discriminating weapons and I'm closing in on alpha 69.420 which will enable guns to discriminate between targets and shoot automatically

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Fell Mood posted:

Safety discussion is bothering me. The purpose of the safety is to prevent discharge if dropped
no, it isn’t. that’s the job of the firing pin block.

Filthy Hans posted:

I have a 1982 police surplus revolver with the old-style hammer that has the firing pin in it, not drop safe at all
probably had a hammer block, like many of that era.
https://youtu.be/cRDl76ju7tE

most guns have been very “safe” from a product liability standpoint for generations. all the danger is because they are effective at killing people either on accident or on purpose!

TenementFunster has issued a correction as of 11:31 on Aug 25, 2022

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

FFT posted:

They didn't, they were just way overblown and have since been vastly overshadowed by school shootings.

There were two last year

Oh ok that makes sense, but also I wonder if there's just less mail these days

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

War and Pieces posted:

Those stories were a propaganda program to manufacture consent for privatizing the USPS.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

War and Pieces posted:

Oh ok that makes sense, but also I wonder if there's just less mail these days

the only mailman I know works mandatory overtime every week because they don't have enough mail carriers to keep up with the amount of mail they have

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the only mailman I know works mandatory overtime every week because they don't have enough mail carriers to keep up with the amount of mail they have

yeah our post office has a "lunch break" where they close from 130 to 230pm, during which the three people in it all go out and deliver mail on rural routes

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lol i bet he never even considered resigning

which he was almost right not to, drat

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

SorePotato posted:

okay but you testified to an officer that it was an accident, we have the bodycam footage

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

https://apnews.com/article/shootings-arizona-veterans-doug-ducey-tucson-0befeb683707e31cea110c9aa4ff8d9e

man gets evicted, kills constable, landlady, and neighbor, then self.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
all cops are gonna start carrying around AR-15s all the time in the next few years

cannot wait to look like even more like the illegitimate banana republic we are :)

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

TenementFunster posted:

all cops are gonna start carrying around AR-15s all the time in the next few years

cannot wait to look like even more like the illegitimate banana republic we are :)

Banana clip republic

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Real hurthling! posted:

man gets evicted, kills constable, landlady, and neighbor, then self.

i suppose everyone who died here are assholes one way or another

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

What'd the neighbor do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stairmaster posted:

What'd the neighbor do

no detail but the shooter went over there to get the guy on purpose