Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

unwantedplatypus posted:

America took the concept of public investment into educating the next generation's professionals and academia and twisted it into literal debt-peonage to the government. Beautiful to see. We're 1# at the thing we do.

the nation that weirdo right wingers constantly talks about its judeo-christian values loses its mind over a half-assed debt jubilee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

skooma512 posted:

In a moment of weakness I almost bought some dogecoin.

The process to actually make that happen was so convoluted that it gave me enough time to think about it and nope out of it. Like, I work in IT and install mods for games with instructions written by Finnish teenagers, and it was too complicated for me. There was no way in hell an old person is going to be able to do this. I'm the person the old person would ask for help, and I have resolved to refuse any and all requests for crypto help.

You had to transfer cash into some shady rear end exchange, buy bitcoin, then convert the BT to ethereum to convert to dogecoin. Great way to farm transaction fees and not much else.

:effort: I don't know how any of that is still alive.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Just want to cross post this here from the Student Loan Forgiveness FAQ and Discussion thread, because several goons have reported being successfully refunded and I want to make sure the word gets out:

Upgrade posted:

If you’ve voluntarily made payments since the pause (Feb 2020) you can request a refund for those payments

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Called up my student loan servicer, Great Lakes, on hold for half an hour. I was armed with the amounts I wanted refunded (I paid ~1.1k since March 13, 2020, which is the cutoff), but when I got through, I said I wanted a refund of the money since the student loan deferrals started. The guy was like "sure, looks like it's these two payments, I was gonna ask if you wanted PSLF, but it's not worth it for this amount, and you want the refund for the 10k forgiveness?" (I didn't say a word about the forgiveness but I imagine they've been getting a lot of calls)

So easy peasy to get a refund for payments since the pandemic kicked off if you have the time to sit next to your phone for half an hour. :unsmith:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Paradoxish posted:

I paid off all my loans a long time ago and I'm insanely pissed at Biden for not cancelling all debt no questions asked

:same:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

skooma512 posted:

In a moment of weakness I almost bought some dogecoin.

The process to actually make that happen was so convoluted that it gave me enough time to think about it and nope out of it. Like, I work in IT and install mods for games with instructions written by Finnish teenagers, and it was too complicated for me. There was no way in hell an old person is going to be able to do this. I'm the person the old person would ask for help, and I have resolved to refuse any and all requests for crypto help.

You had to transfer cash into some shady rear end exchange, buy bitcoin, then convert the BT to ethereum to convert to dogecoin. Great way to farm transaction fees and not much else.

The vast majority of people buying doge are using Robinhood.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Also, the lib reaction to this incredibly mild attempt to help anyone shouldn't be surprising. A ton of Democrats are essentially Reagan-era conservatives who are ideologically opposed to providing any kind of government aid, but they comfort themselves by saying that they're actually good people who want good things as long as those things are means-tested to help the smallest possible demographic group.

This is not some crazy internet leftist take, it's just straight-up what Democrats do. A policy that effectively* helps everyone is anathema to everyone who isn't on the party's far left wing. Democrats want their brutally specific metrics to use in talking points. This won't (specifically) alleviate childhood poverty or reduce the racial wealth gap. It will absolutely do those things, but everyone in the brunch liberal wing will spend the next decade insisting that it was a huge waste of money that didn't hypertarget the "correct" people.

*yes I realize this is technically means-tested

edit- someone will also eventually claim that this is the prophesized mass wealth transfer from boomers to millennials

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I've heard it's super unsanitary to compost human poo poo for human food fertilizer purposes but I bet it's gonna be tried at scale before 2050

North korea uses human waste as compost (also called nightsoil) and there were a lot of reports of an outbreak of parasites in 2017. NoKo doesnt have much livestock though, and cant import much chemical fertilizer.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the bitcoin of weed posted:

I'll be completely amazed if the brandon admin follows through on this student loan stuff in any real way lmao what took so long

it took them so long because biden is a lazy indecisive rear end in a top hat. remember how his VP selection took like five months, had tons of trial balloons floated in the media, and then eventually he just picked harris, who happened to be the lowest effort choice because the party donors had sort of coalesced around her by 2018? That was a preview for his presidency.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

biceps crimes posted:

a liberal millennial irresponsibly consuming starbucks and avocados multiple times daily must purge style find a hard working, 50 year old blue collar white man with callused hands and a pleasant demeanor to murder in cold blood to extract their 10k that brandon has promised

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I'm totally owned by the relief since I took advantage of Trump's free money and forebearance to pay off the last of my loans like a moron, but I'm making up for it by aggressively reminding libs on twitter that young people know how to extract concessions from Brandon

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

reads like some good people snuck in some actually good policy that nobody in charge would understand the impact of because of how out of touch they are

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

ppp loan forgiveness transparency is going to be a gift that keeps on giving

https://twitter.com/charlescwcooke/status/1562475130940686337
https://twitter.com/ScrubUnoriginal/status/1562491832806031362

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Nothus posted:

I'm totally owned by the relief since I took advantage of Trump's free money and forebearance to pay off the last of my loans like a moron, but I'm making up for it by aggressively reminding libs on twitter that young people know how to extract concessions from Brandon

Just want to cross post this here from the Student Loan Forgiveness FAQ and Discussion thread, because several goons have reported being successfully refunded and I want to make sure the word gets out:

Upgrade posted:

If you’ve voluntarily made payments since the pause (Feb 2020) you can request a refund for those payments

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Called up my student loan servicer, Great Lakes, on hold for half an hour. I was armed with the amounts I wanted refunded (I paid ~1.1k since March 13, 2020, which is the cutoff), but when I got through, I said I wanted a refund of the money since the student loan deferrals started. The guy was like "sure, looks like it's these two payments, I was gonna ask if you wanted PSLF, but it's not worth it for this amount, and you want the refund for the 10k forgiveness?" (I didn't say a word about the forgiveness but I imagine they've been getting a lot of calls)

So easy peasy to get a refund for payments since the pandemic kicked off if you have the time to sit next to your phone for half an hour. :unsmith:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

reads like some good people snuck in some actually good policy that nobody in charge would understand the impact of because of how out of touch they are

The expanded unemployment was the best with this. "$600 dollars a week? We spend more on just wine in a month than that, sounds good!" when in fact it was more than tens of millions of Americans were making working 2 jobs lmao

Nothus posted:

I think you can apply to get any payments you made after March 2020 refunded? Sounds like there's a lot of poo poo in this and some of it may be stuff regular chucklefucks can benefit from. I'm still waiting for a full accounting from Matt Bruenig

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
a PPP for all seasons

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
do we know how much PPP loans were forgiven total?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Epic High Five posted:

The expanded unemployment was the best with this. "$600 dollars a week? We spend more on just wine in a month than that, sounds good!" when in fact it was more than tens of millions of Americans were making working 2 jobs lmao

It still makes me all warm and fuzzy thinking about all the insane "but who would quit their job for $600?" takes from the usual crowd

The importance of that money just utterly blindsided a lot of the upper class

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Dreylad posted:

do we know how much PPP loans were forgiven total?

govt says:

quote:

Of the total number of loans, 10.2 million have been partially or fully forgiven. The average dollar amount forgiven was $72,500. Of the borrowers receiving the maximum amount, 625 loans have been partially or fully forgiven.

which by my math (10.2m x $72.5k) = $739,500,000,000

so 3/4 of a trillion?

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

drat, is this how it works???? now i feel bad. not giving any money back tho

https://twitter.com/bungarsargon/status/1562557782070808581

She works at Newsweek and has a book coming out on the “woke media” destroying democracy lmfao

Is there a vat of goo somewhere that creates these oooze monsters

Glumwheels has issued a correction as of 03:29 on Aug 25, 2022

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

RealityWarCriminal posted:

North korea uses human waste as compost (also called nightsoil) and there were a lot of reports of an outbreak of parasites in 2017. NoKo doesnt have much livestock though, and cant import much chemical fertilizer.

nightsoil is drat good as fertilizer too. but yeah you’ll get the worms.

milorganite is sanitized pelletized treated sewage and it’s great.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Glumwheels posted:

She works at Newsweek and has a book coming out on the “wold media” destroying democracy lmfao

Is there a vat of goo somewhere that creates these oooze monsters

its name--a curse of immense power and suffused with dread and terror--spoken only in hushed tones:

"brunch"

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
*banging on table*
ju-bil-ee! JU-BIL-EE!

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

unironic horseshoe theory

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I even did it with mummy and daddy's cash, yet

Paradoxish posted:

I paid off all my loans a long time ago and I'm insanely pissed at Biden for not cancelling all debt no questions asked

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/adamkelsey/status/1562499371152785409

owned

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Student loan debt cancellation is bad because it didn't benefit me personally.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Even if you didn't get any loans forgiven, you now have a reason to complain and be made fun of online. Truly all benefit from this.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah this is really the fall of paris for clinton club liberals. makes you really think how easy it would have been to force through all of the BBB poo poo along with this and everything else, then have all of this meltdown rage about all of it instead of just about this one thing

a liberal can only poo poo heself so hard, believe it or not

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

super sweet best pal posted:

Student loan debt cancellation is bad because it didn't benefit me personally.

If you're pretty sure that you're never going to make more than ~$33k for the next 10 years, then you can go to college next year, get some student loans, blow them on housing and living expenses, drop out, and then get on that new IDR loan they just announced today. You'll pay $0 a month and get it all forgiven in 10 years if the loan is smaller than $13k.

That's some long-term big brained student loan abuse (but, technically not fraud).

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

If you're pretty sure that you're never going to make more than ~$33k for the next 10 years, then you can go to college next year, get some student loans, blow them on housing and living expenses, drop out, and then get on that new IDR loan they just announced today. You'll pay $0 a month and get it all forgiven in 10 years if the loan is smaller than $13k.

That's some long-term big brained student loan abuse (but, technically not fraud).

Inflation says NO!

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

next year is chronologically after July 1st, 2022

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

God Hole posted:

the terms of new loans going forward are changed too.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

This is how every nugget of decent policy happens now, like the boosted unemployment dollars

Gotta make it law at 2 am before the think tanks and economists see it coming and poo poo themselves in rage on national television for 72 hours in a row and scare the "Democratic leadership" into abandoning it

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

God Hole posted:

The new loan modification rules they announced today with the payment cap of 5% of discretionary income above ~$33k is automatically forgiven after 10 years if the loan is less than $12k.

The new loan type and capitalization rules are stealthily a much bigger change than the one-time forgiveness in the long run.

quote:

Require borrowers to pay no more than 5% of their discretionary income monthly on undergraduate loans. This is down from the 10% available under the most recent income-driven repayment plan.

quote:

Raise the amount of income that is considered non-discretionary income and therefore is protected from repayment, guaranteeing that no borrower earning under 225% of the federal poverty level—about the annual equivalent of a $15 minimum wage for a single borrower—will have to make a monthly payment.

This will cut the average payment in half, guarantee a $0 monthly payment for individuals with incomes below $33k or families of 4 below $62,500 in household income, and make the average payment for a borrower making $50,000 per year ~$40.

quote:

Cover the borrower's unpaid monthly interest, so that unlike other existing income-driven repayment plans, no borrower's loan balance will grow as long as they make their monthly payments—even when that monthly payment is $0 because their income is low.

The loan balance is also forgiven after 20 years or 10 years if your balance gets below (or starts below) $12k.

quote:

Forgive loan balances after 10 years of payments, instead of 20 years, for borrowers with loan balances of $12,000 or less.

https://twitter.com/justinsink/status/1562470265665495040

Leon Trotsky 2012 has issued a correction as of 03:49 on Aug 25, 2022

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021
Those new loan terms are significant. I think someone realized there was/is no blood left in the stone.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I mean everything laid out is good but why not just cancel all of it

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

because if people start thinking and acting like it's all bullshit monopoly money then there are gonna be some really uncomfortable questions about why the dumbest assholes are the ones making all the decisions and why anyone else should listen to them instead of [redacted]

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Leaving bullets in the gun for next time they want to win an election

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

we need an administrative apparatus to determine means and to discourage material benefit for the rabble. also, liberals love the current peonage order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I mean more what is the stated rationale? is it inflation? fears of attacks by republicans? the “virtue” of contractual debt?