Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Zophar posted:

The thing that's unclear to me and what matters the most to me personally is if the change in discretionary income is *just* for the new IDR terms, or if this change applies to all loan types. I have a consolidated Direct Loan on PSLF which I had to take out to consolidate my undergraduate and graduate loans in order to qualify (and which we were all encouraged to do to get the temporary waiver this year). The change in monthly payment caps would be immensely helpful but if I'm carved out for arbitrary reasons I'm not super happy about getting thrown back to the wolves in January, same as it ever was.

You can get all of those new changes (interest capitalization changes, IBR forgiveness, etc) on any loan type, but the 5% discretionary income cap is only if you have undergrad loans. Grad loans are capped at 10%, but grad loans do get the new discretionary income calculation where the exempt amount goes to 225% poverty level (from ~$13.5k to ~$33k).

PSLF and IBR/the new IDR are separate things and you can be on both PSFL and IBR at the same time.

The IBR/IDR determines your monthly payment.

The PSLF determines your forgiveness after 120 payments or 10 years at a qualifying job.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

You can get all of those new changes (interest capitalization changes, IBR forgiveness, etc) on any loan type, but the 5% discretionary income cap is only if you have undergrad loans. Grad loans are capped at 10%, but grad loans do get the new discretionary income calculation where the exempt amount goes to 225% poverty level (from ~$13.5k to ~$33k).

PSLF and IBR/the new IDR are separate things and you can be on both PSFL and IBR at the same time.

The IBR/IDR determines your minthly payment.

The PSLF determines your forgiveness after 120 payments or 10 years at a qualifying job.

This is all I need and I'm happy to have if this is correct (that I'll also benefit from the new income calculation). I'm a teacher turbofucked by student loans and living in a red state that hates me, so I only make around 400% federal poverty guidelines. If my monthly IBR payment drops from $300 to $150 it would do a lot to make the last leg of PSLF manageable, since I also have a whole basket of private student loans to deal with.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Kind of off topic but what the hell happens when both trump and DeSantis announce they are running?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It feels like there's a whole shitload of stuff buried in this that's just coasting by outrage cycles because of comparatively smaller direct forgiveness, which if so, lol. Next few days as numbers and policy people dig into it should be interesting.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I have no student loan debt and make over the income cap, so I am not directly affected. But I see a lot of friends who are suddenly happier, and one who is making a major career move, because of this. More than anything else the Biden administration has done, and I say this as a single issue climate voter, this can make a positive impact on a lot of peoples' lives.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Tnega posted:

Forward party did an FAQ:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGctbirlpTU

Are you a spoiler? Yes. If you don't like it, enact ranked choice voting.
Is this a vanity project? It isn't even that good.
Do you have any policies? We don't even have a platform!
Why now? Why not.
Are you GOP funded? Yes, and we are staffers who got pushed out for not being all-in on trump.

So yeah, good to know they let the mask slip and revealed they are just Lib-Dems 2, American Boogaloo.

I'm three minutes into this and this already doesn't match up. Their response to the question about being a spoiler is that they're hoping to have ballot access in all 50 states by 2024 and have no plans to run a presidential candidate, wanting to focus on lower level races, especially uncontested local positions.. They do then also explain that the spoiler effect is an explanation for not changing a bad system, better voting system means spoilers are not a thing.

Why now? Because 62% of Americans have said a 3rd party is needed in polling.

Forward derangement syndrome is weird because they're such a non threat.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Thanks for the info..just really feels like poo poo knowing you did everything "right" according to what we were told to do, and we specifically get hosed for doing it. We were told all our lives to go to school, get a degree, blah blah blah. We do that, we accrue all the student debt that comes with it, we ACHIEVE what they told us we should aspire to, and what do we get for it? Getting to see that it was worth gently caress all from top to bottom and that even if you do what is expected of you, you're still gonna get triple hosed in the process. I'm glad for everyone who gets a leg up from this, but goddamn it I feel like I deserve something for this poo poo. And if I'm lucky, I will pay this off by the time I'm 43. I left school in 2013 when I was 23. 20 years to pay off the cost of the success I was pushed incessantly into chasing. gently caress this poo poo

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

HonorableTB posted:

Thanks for the info..just really feels like poo poo knowing you did everything "right" according to what we were told to do, and we specifically get hosed for doing it. We were told all our lives to go to school, get a degree, blah blah blah. We do that, we accrue all the student debt that comes with it, we ACHIEVE what they told us we should aspire to, and what do we get for it? Getting to see that it was worth gently caress all from top to bottom and that even if you do what is expected of you, you're still gonna get triple hosed in the process. I'm glad for everyone who gets a leg up from this, but goddamn it I feel like I deserve something for this poo poo. And if I'm lucky, I will pay this off by the time I'm 43. I left school in 2013 when I was 23. 20 years to pay off the cost of the success I was pushed incessantly into chasing. gently caress this poo poo

The new IDR stuff will benefit you and your partner a lot. You'll still have suck it up and pay for a while, but the payments will get significantly smaller and eventually forgiven.

Sucks that it isn't all gone right now, but the IDR changes will still save you a ton of money over the long run and free up a lot of extra discretionary money each month.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

HonorableTB posted:

I'm happy people get student loan forgiveness, I just wish I qualified :( Feels dumb to complain about having student debt while being over the income cap but I had the Pell grant and this would have cut my debt load by 2/3. This poo poo should have just been universal, but no. Had to be means tested, of course. I didn't get any of the Covid stimulus payments either. I also happen to live in an extremely high cost of living area where basic six figures is equivalent to about $50,000 elsewhere and my rent is close to $3,000/month. Means testing is dumb, if they can forgive the debt for people making under $125k then they can forgive the debt for everyone. My partner has over $200k in debt thanks to grad school, and this forgiveness helps her gently caress-all. She's never going to pay that off, ever. She'll die with that student loan debt still hanging around her neck. The $10,000 forgiveness she's eligible for will be erased in a few months of interest accrual on her Federal loans.

Just loving cancel all of it you useless poo poo cretins

See if you can get married and qualify for the 20k that way

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

pencilhands posted:

the big question on my mind - what are the chances our extremist SCOTUS messes this up?

I'm not clear that this is even contestable. It's the government's loan to forgive. Who could have standing to oppose it?

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Gumball Gumption posted:

Their response to the question about being a spoiler is that they're hoping to have ballot access in all 50 states by 2024

Why now? Because 62% of Americans have said a 3rd party is needed in polling.

Forward derangement syndrome is weird because they're such a non threat.

They also said that the spoiler effect isn't real.

Of that 62%, 2/3rds want something vastly different to forward.

Its fine if you like the Forward Party, I would only ask "why".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

cr0y posted:

Kind of off topic but what the hell happens when both trump and DeSantis announce they are running?

No one knows, but my money is on DeSantis gunning for VP because the other way around will never happen

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm not clear that this is even contestable. It's the government's loan to forgive. Who could have standing to oppose it?

Yeah, this was one thing I was wondering, who even has standing to sue? Who is damaged? We've already established that "concerned taxpayers" can't sue for government "illegally wasting their tax money", and angry politicians who got outvoted can't go to court. A future GOP congress might demand a change in budget negotiations with Biden, but I don't see who can even get this into court.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Tnega posted:

They also said that the spoiler effect isn't real.

Of that 62%, 2/3rds want something vastly different to forward.

Its fine if you like the Forward Party, I would only ask "why".

I just believe in hating with clear hearts and open eyes. You couldn't properly summarize the video.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

So does one have to do anything for the loan stuff or is it going to happen automatically?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Bar Ran Dun posted:

So does one have to do anything for the loan stuff or is it going to happen automatically?

probably a better topic for the details thread tbh, but my understanding is that you should at least check and see if you need to make a perfunctory declaration that you're eligible

you know, once the websites involved stop burning to the ground

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

GreyjoyBastard posted:

probably a better topic for the details thread tbh, but my understanding is that you should at least check and see if you need to make a perfunctory declaration that you're eligible

you know, once the websites involved stop burning to the ground

I've logged into both StudentAid.gov and my servicer, NelNet, and I don't see anything about a declaration of eligibility.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

cr0y posted:

I'd assume they'd cancel each other out in the primaries and some rando gets the nomination instead.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

cr0y posted:

DeSantis probably loses.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, DeSantis may be what post-Trump Republicans look like but at best he's still on the level of the worthless assholes Trump comically steamrolled in the 2016 primaries.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
DeSantis brings the mentally competent authoritarianism and coordinated neofascist culture war appeals. But Trump has the image and the cadence and all the behavioral appeals they love, so through empty rear end in a top hat charisma that speaks to empty assholes, he captures the American conservative heart.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

cr0y posted:

Well my very far left friend who has no debt said "well they should have given a tax credit to people who already paid them off"

So.....

If your friend is still that bound by the politics of spite and envy then whatever their pretensions they're not actually very far left at all

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like the whole premise of student loan refunding is that entire generations were scammed into predatory loans with full government assistance based on empty promises of future employment prospects backed up by literally every single authority figure in their entire lives, and pressured into undischargeable debt often straight after turning 18. 'You took a loan, you pay it back' is a ridiculous and deliberately reductive take on the situation that ignores literally all the context. It's still stuck in the liberal idea that norms and laws are actually there to benefit them.

Biden's barely even made a dent in the damage he's personally done.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Or a PPP loan which was just free money for the small business owner tyrant class

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Kavros posted:

DeSantis brings the mentally competent authoritarianism and coordinated neofascist culture war appeals. But Trump has the image and the cadence and all the behavioral appeals they love, so through empty rear end in a top hat charisma that speaks to empty assholes, he captures the American conservative heart.

Ron brings a lot of this to the table as well. He's just not famous for being on The TeeVee and without the benefit of being a household name. If anything, he delivers the same red meat and horrible opinions about poo poo but in a much more polished and less idiotic way.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Just think of all the jobs loan relief will make. If you're opposed to loan relief, why do you hate creating jobs? So many jobs.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ColdPie posted:

Just think of all the jobs loan relief will make. If you're opposed to loan relief, why do you hate creating jobs? So many jobs.

Mostly it will create housing payments, if I had to guess.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Sodomy Hussein posted:

It'll probably also go to discretionary spending and retirement savings too. I think the poster you are replying to is being facetious though.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Yes, exactly. Suffering job creators will put this money to needed expenses so they can get back to the business of making more jobs.

Jobs.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

You can get all of those new changes (interest capitalization changes, IBR forgiveness, etc) on any loan type, but the 5% discretionary income cap is only if you have undergrad loans. Grad loans are capped at 10%

What about direct consolidated loans that are a combination of undergrad and grad?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Bar Ran Dun posted:

If the DOE has your income information on file (from IBR, PAYE, filed out a FAFSA form in the last two years, provided your tax return to them for some income verification process in the last two years, etc.), then it is automatic.

If not, then you need to go online and fill out a short online firm to "affirm" that you made less than $125k/$250k in either 2020 or 2021.

SourKraut posted:

I've logged into both StudentAid.gov and my servicer, NelNet, and I don't see anything about a declaration of eligibility.

The page isn't up yet. The announcement yesterday says it will be up "shortly."

You can enter your email on this page: https://www.ed.gov/subscriptions

To get an automatic email update from the DOE when the page goes live.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

What about direct consolidated loans that are a combination of undergrad and grad?

They qualify for current IDR plans, so I believe they would also qualify for the new IDR payment plan. This is the one question I am not 100% sure about because they haven't put out the deep dive details yet and the summary just says you can get the 5% cap if you "have debt from undergrad." All the other interest capitalization changes/elimination of interest, the new 225% poverty line exemption limit, and forgiveness at 10 years (if your balance reaches or starts at 12k or below) or 20 years are all available to all of the IBR/IDR loans.

The main difference is just the 5% vs 10% cap. Since the consolidated loans count as "undergraduate debt" for current IBR/IDR plans, it seems very likely they will for the new IDR, but it isn't 100% confirmed.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 25, 2022

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

cr0y posted:

I don't think that will ever happen. I think DeSantis knows competing against Trump directly is the kiss of death for his political career. He'll wait to see if Trump runs, then wait four years and "take the torch" or whatever fascists do when they take over from one another. DeSantis is a more dangerous Trump, but he can't survive competing directly against him because he'd have to hit back at Trump as hard as Trump would hit him, and I suspect he (and I) thinks the base would turn on him if he did that.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lumpy posted:

I don't think that will ever happen. I think DeSantis knows competing against Trump directly is the kiss of death for his political career. He'll wait to see if Trump runs, then wait four years and "take the torch" or whatever fascists do when they take over from one another. DeSantis is a more dangerous Trump, but he can't survive competing directly against him because he'd have to hit back at Trump as hard as Trump would hit him, and I suspect he (and I) thinks the base would turn on him if he did that.

DeSantis was polling neck-and-neck with Trump in a hypothetical primary, before the Mar-a-lago raid, and was clearly gearing up to run. That said, he's clearly keeping his options open so he can pivot based on what it looks like in 2023.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If DeSantis were just a year or two younger he'd be a millennial, he can afford to bide his time and build his extremely evil brand which is why I really hope he does the extremely dumb thing and takes a shot at the king and goes down in flames for his efforts

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If Trump wriggles out of this one there is no way he doesn't become the GOP nominee. The power brokers will instantly forgive him and the base never turned away

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

If DeSantis does attempt a coup, it'll be funny when no one backs him and we get the new version of the image of Romney finding out that power is real over lobster:

The RINOification of DeSantis will be pretty crazy to watch. Getting disavowed on Tucker, the works.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

evilweasel posted:

DeSantis was polling neck-and-neck with Trump in a hypothetical primary, before the Mar-a-lago raid, and was clearly gearing up to run. That said, he's clearly keeping his options open so he can pivot based on what it looks like in 2023.

I suspect those number would change if Trump started attacking him, and even more if DeSantis started attacking Trump.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

Bored? Need something to read while camping Time-Lost Protodrake?

www.vicfanfic.com

FizFashizzle posted:

Or a PPP loan which was just free money for the small business owner tyrant class

My extremely small, barely-breaks-even family business was eligible for a PPP loan. I didn't want to take one, and talked the rest of the family out of it for two reasons. I didn't want to deal with the bureaucracy of applying for it, and at the time, I held the I-absolutely-can't-be-wrong-about-this conviction that a PPP loan would have to be paid back in full, with interest.

Feel free to laugh at me, especially if it brightens your day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

cr0y posted:

some sort of battle to do the death ala thunderdome.

edit: I should add some content.

Desantis is my governor. He is all about throwing red meat to the base in the form of 'Don't Say Gay Bill's and whatnot and then helping out the real estate industry while his base is placated. He is pretty much designed to be the fascist overlord the republican donors want.

ManBoyChef fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 25, 2022