Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Ishmael posted:

And doubtless, my going on this whaling voyage, formed part of the grand programme of Providence that was drawn up a long time ago. It came in as a brief interlude and solo between more extensive performances. I take it that this part of the bill must have run something like this:
"Grand Contested Election for the Presidency of the United States"
"Whaling Voyage by One Ishmael"
"Bloody Battle in Affghanistan"

I like pointing out that Moby-Dick took place in the early 2000s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

thetoughestbean posted:

Chinese diplomats for Hirohito bingo

lol

Grand Fromage posted:

E: Found it. After the Qing's fourth invasion of Burma got rinsed, yet again, from the commander of the Burmese military.

"Comrades, unless we make peace, yet another invasion will come. And when we have defeated it, yet another will come. Our nation cannot go on just repelling invasion after invasion of the Chinese for we have other things to do. Let us stop the slaughter, and let their people and our people live in peace."

lmao

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So what will make things better for chinese people?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

They could try to stop being giant pissbabies and getting their feelings hurt by every little thing. :shrug:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

McGavin posted:

They could try to stop being giant pissbabies and getting their feelings hurt by every little thing. :shrug:

this hurts the feelings of the Chinese people

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Seth Pecksniff posted:

this hurts the feelings of the Chinese people

:sickos:

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Ups_rail posted:

A government that allies could trust as far as they could throw?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

ninjoatse.cx posted:

We’re talking about japan

boomers, literally

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Ups_rail posted:

A government that isn’t corrupt and full of liars, imo. A bit more humility and willingness to admit when things aren’t working would go far for the Chinese government, but it’s set up to encourage the opposite

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Brutal Garcon posted:

A government that allies could trust as far as they could throw?

for that matter the CCP doesn't trust their own citizens at all either and wouldn't give them the time of day if it didn't have to

Taiwan and its political liberalization stands as an example that they (the people) don't have to settle for the CCP

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Taiwan #1

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
https://twitter.com/SCMPNews/status/1562605429305122818

I know it's clickbait but lol at putting mooncakes on the same social progress level as foot binding.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
My wife's international school, which is not located in China, but does have one Chinese individual in a position of power, is demanding that all Taiwanese teachers put "Taiwan, China" on their introductory letters. This individual gave up her citizenship to get European citizenship, so it's especially disgusting. My wife is getting around it by saying she has "teaching experience in Taipei".

My international school has ROC flags scattered about at random, so we're safe for now.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
It's me, I'm the guy who likes mooncakes

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

It's me, I'm the guy who likes mooncakes

:same:

I’ve tried 4 different ones and two were great and I’d eat them again and 2 were just ok and I’d probably not go out of my way to eat them again.

I have no clue what flavors they were because they weren’t labeled lol

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Around Chinese new year people always leave mooncakes in the breakroom at work to get rid of them and some of them are ok. A very rare few were even good. This is in the US though so I can only imagine what a real mooncake with 5000 years of history behind it tastes like.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I've never encountered a mooncake I would take over a mediocre doughnut

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Stink Billyums posted:

They exist, but as a minority.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Yeah I will defend mooncakes every time this comes up. They're overall good, dense, but good.

They're also great for hiking, maybe not as balanced as super serious hikers would want but for me they don't take up a lot of space in my bag, taste good, and they are filling.

Salty egg yolk ones were a little bit of an acquired taste, I may have said those don't do it for me before but now I warmed up to them.

Just salty duck eggs are good too. But what's even better and is like a whole event is salty goose eggs. Probably not great for your heart but drat do I enjoy a salty goose egg.

Stink Billyums posted:

I guess but it's a different thing. I don't feel like they fill the same food niche other than both being sweet, if you ate mooncakes like donuts you'd die.

Might as well be saying "I'd never take a glass of chocolate milk over ice cream." Maybe but, besides both being sweet dairy products just not the same area.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 25, 2022

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

salty egg yolk mooncakes are the best kind

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I like the "dense herb/nut mash" type.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I like the appetizingly named "lotus paste" ones.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
For as much as he claims to read, he must have been very selective in his choice of material.
Specifically given the huge amount of online commentary since his last outing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98WH8K2Wjck

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Ups_rail posted:

Ditching the hukou system

an independent legal system

transparent and accurate economic data

You don't even need democracy for those!

je1 healthcare fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 25, 2022

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
As mediocre as mooncakes are, rouyuebing are inexplicable quite different and are awesome, and I’d eat them year round.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

je1 healthcare posted:

an independent legal system

transparent and accurate economic data

You don't even need democracy for those!

1) should be easy

2) and 3)

Both dont address the issue of face.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

BrigadierSensible posted:

I am an ESL teacher with 10 years experience....

I hope these answers help. I am sorry if they didn't.
Thanks for the reply. I hadn't really considered that class sizes could be so small, and the work load for multiple schools and groups could be still be less than working in one typical high school in North America. That doesn't seem as scary as I initially assumed. Your description of the rest of working in Japan matches what I have read/heard since I posted that question, and it seems like Japan has purposely stunted its import teacher industry (for what purpose, I don't know). I am aware of the droves of weebs that will take the shittiest of jobs just for the chance to be in Japan, and the fact that there's a never-ending supply of them. Every few years I look and see if teaching in Japan has changed for the better, but...nope. I'll keep it off my list. I have taught in China and other places, and have always thought about doing a year in Japan just to check it out, but every time I look into it I think it's best to hold off.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Also saw this interesting article in FA today:

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/china/chinas-looming-water-crisis

China’s Looming Water Crisis

I'm not trying to be doomer here but I keep reading stuff like this and uh... we're not in for good times ahead.
Wait. Do you mean those 5-7 years of GREEN CHINA (by) 2020 propaganda pieces that every futurism/tech bro/environmentalist/tankie took at face value to point to China's impending Superpowerdom and Greatness was all a loving lie because those sci-fi ideas and fancy CGI models had no basis in reality? Do you mean to tell me that the same propaganda outlets that hyped the Straddle Bus as the greatest innovation ever were also lying about how much China was doing for green energy, climate change, and future-proofing itself? Or was it all a case of 差不多 face making for the Party? We'll never know.

lol

I read a Nat Geo article some years back that pointed out that north India's water table is disappearing at such a rapid rate and unable to be replenished from monsoon rains that by something like 2030 the entire region of a few hundred million people will be out of water multiple months per year, spawning a mass migration which will permanently gently caress up/ruin/implode the rest of India and the region.

I forget which of India's major rivers starts on the Tibet side of the border, but China was thinking of diverting it towards Beijing to make up for their water problems elsewhere. That would be the hypothetical "water war" we've been hearing would happen, considering half a billion people in India would be hosed if China did that.

Seriously, I'll never get over that loving straddle bus and how much it consumed Western media for weeks.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Ups_rail posted:

1) should be easy

2) and 3)

Both dont address the issue of face.

I get 3) potentially being hugely awkward for any regime that likes image control (see: prominent firings of Greek/Turkish government economists in the last decade), but could you please explain your reasoning on the judiciary? Genuinely curious.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

je1 healthcare posted:

Could this be a solution to the current housing market problem? Drive up demand for urban homes?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Brutal Garcon posted:

Could this be a solution to the current housing market problem? Drive up demand for urban homes?

Not really. Beyond the fact that a lot of (most?) people with rural hukous couldn't afford to buy in the cities anyway, the current market problem is that the construction industry and its supporting banks were running a gigantic debt scam and none of the money actually exists to pay anything off. Plus there's the ghost house thing where people bought apartments (often with loans) that didn't exist yet and the developers just took the money then never bothered to actually build the apartments. Or half built them, so people have these bare concrete boxes that they have to pay for or they lose the apartment and all the money they've put in.

Housing is insanely expensive in the major cities. Like proportional to incomes, apartments in Beijing or Shanghai are six times more expensive than in London if I'm remembering the thing I read correctly?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

People in the cities would absolutely flip their poo poo if hukous were flat abolished. Street protests, the works.

There's a huge social divide between City People and Not City People, and if you erased it overnight... welp.

That the divide exists is a bad thing - it is used to divert resources and stuff away from rural areas. But if you're going to fix that, it needs to be done slowly and quietly.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah getting rid of the caste system would be one thing that might genuinely endanger the government. There's nothing people in China hate more than people from a different part of China.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i truly do not get any of the hate for moon cakes. theyre soft, mild in taste, sweet. yummie egg in the middle. theyre the only time i find green melon tolerable at all honestly, i hate it in everything else in the world. big heavy dense moon cake! i ate 8 in one sitting once. love em

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Some moon cakes have over 1k calories per piece.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah getting rid of the caste system would be one thing that might genuinely endanger the government. There's nothing people in China hate more than people from a different part of China.

This is also true of India. Only with a much more formalized caste system, and the additional schizm between north/south and Hindus/Muslims.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Not really. Beyond the fact that a lot of (most?) people with rural hukous couldn't afford to buy in the cities anyway,

buying an apartment in a city is one of the few ways to get your hukou changed, even

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

hypnophant posted:

buying an apartment in a city is one of the few ways to get your hukou changed, even

There several ways, they just all require stuff a rural person typically doesn't have.
Cash to buy an apartment. Cash to make a lump payment into the social security fund. The stability to work the same job and make small payments consistently for several years.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BrainDance posted:

Yeah I will defend mooncakes every time this comes up. They're overall good, dense, but good.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Grand Fromage posted:

But I thought all were equal under communism :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

big time bisexual posted:

https://twitter.com/SCMPNews/status/1562605429305122818

I know it's clickbait but lol at putting mooncakes on the same social progress level as foot binding.

I am not even chinese and I love mooncakes!