Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I mean more what is the stated rationale? is it inflation? fears of attacks by republicans? the “virtue” of contractual debt?

All of these could be the ostensible justification, but tack on the fear of attacks from “centrist” democrats as well. I guess we’ll see what comes up as the official line over the next few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/Quicktake/status/1562522909733621760?s=20

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I mean more what is the stated rationale? is it inflation? fears of attacks by republicans? the “virtue” of contractual debt?

if you prove you can wield power you'll be asked to do so again and that is inconvenient

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
https://mobile.twitter.com/transscribe/status/1562469646057771009

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Pink Mist posted:

Leaving bullets in the gun for next time they want to win an election

how many elections is it gonna be before dems get around to taunting zoomers with the prospect of getting their children's school lunch debt wiped, before slamming them with the biggest nothingburger of disappointment?

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
I'm glad Leonardo DiCaprio, Jonah Hill, and Margot Robbie are safe.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

New reef just dropped

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

:hmmyes:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

People buying more stuff is considered bad for the economy now. Seems funny in an ironic way but also totally insane? But I am not an economist.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Vox Nihili posted:

People buying more stuff is considered bad for the economy now. Seems funny in an ironic way but also totally insane? But I am not an economist.

An erection is good, priapism is bad

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I'm going to do some consumerism specifically to destroy America

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

This is actually an amazing metaphor for the consumption/inflation relationship and they need to put it in econ textbooks.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I've heard it's super unsanitary to compost human poo poo for human food fertilizer purposes but I bet it's gonna be tried at scale before 2050

My brother pisses on wood chips and poops on a bucket outside and then composts it. He claims hot compost destroys pathogens and I'm inclined to believe him tbh. Why waste that sweet sweet nitrogen and phosphates?

Tho his kids are definitely growing up thinking things are normal that no one else thinks is normal.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

I'm reporting you to the Zardoz head next time it comes around

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Breeders got help in the IRA

Brandon WTF

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Just want to cross post this here from the Student Loan Forgiveness FAQ and Discussion thread, because several goons have reported being successfully refunded and I want to make sure the word gets out:

wait I don’t understand. Are these people getting payment made since March 2020 refunded since they dipped below 10k total on their loans? Or is there something now that says now you just get back any payment you made since March 2020?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

anime was right posted:

im a college dropout. abolih all debt. gently caress it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Lackmaster posted:

wait I don’t understand. Are these people getting payment made since March 2020 refunded since they dipped below 10k total on their loans? Or is there something now that says now you just get back any payment you made since March 2020?

You can get any payment made since March 13th, 2020 refunded and have the amount applied to forgiveness if you qualify.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Lessail posted:

why has the d&d mod been allowed to post this much without any kind of probe

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

eventual court challenge

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
nobody has standing to sue

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Homeless Friend posted:

waiting so long owns because no doubt theres a sizable group of ppl who paid off their loans during interest free/2 years of covid wfh and such since an enormous amount of money that was going to consumption was freed up. So, if they qualified, they get to know they lost 10k-20k lol

Oh hey, it me!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

SCOTUS will give all taxpayers standing to sue the government for spending money or whatever insane thing that they come up with lol

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

SCOTUS will give all taxpayers standing to sue the government for spending money or whatever insane thing that they come up with lol

that’s been in the back of my head they’re going to do something crazy like this.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

like rules matter in calvinball universe, there are already plenty of precedents that translate to "whatever bullshit mitch mcconnell says is the Word of God and thus shall it be so"

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

bagual posted:

remote work is objectively and measurably great for everyone, but some bosses want to make it lovely

let's hear both sides

everyone*

*unless their job requires physical labor, or in any way needs any sort of hands-on training, or the people who work there might not have a living situation where they can separate a working space from home life

but of course goons think everyone is a computer toucher just like themselves so obviously if their jobs can be done from home than all can be

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

BrotherJayne posted:

Oh hey, it me!

Call up your loan servicer, any payments you've made since the pause started you can actually get refunded to you and that money added back to the loan balance. Then when the forgiveness happens you get that amount forgiven. Bing bong

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

BrotherJayne posted:

Oh hey, it me!

looks like you're in luck. you can apparently maybe refund any payment made during the pause. so you can just dial it in lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
we need to absolutely sit down every goon who took on stupid levels of debt and get them their free money millennials crave for in order to cause hyperinflation. this is the only chance we have the end america

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Shipon posted:

everyone*

*unless their job requires physical labor, or in any way needs any sort of hands-on training, or the people who work there might not have a living situation where they can separate a working space from home life

but of course goons think everyone is a computer toucher just like themselves so obviously if their jobs can be done from home than all can be

Oh gently caress off. It's clearly in the context of people already in that working relationship not all jobs ever

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Shipon posted:

Call up your loan servicer, any payments you've made since the pause started you can actually get refunded to you and that money added back to the loan balance. Then when the forgiveness happens you get that amount forgiven. Bing bong

Homeless Friend posted:

looks like you're in luck. you can apparently maybe refund any payment made during the pause. so you can just dial it in lol

gently caress yeah, will try that tomorrow

Ty dark brandon

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

the bitcoin of weed posted:

I'll be completely amazed if the brandon admin follows through on this student loan stuff in any real way lmao what took so long

Midterms

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
My current prediction is that a lot of people I know are going to out themselves as psychopaths now that a paltry amount of student loan cancellation is real and not just a theoretical idea that will never happen.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Congrats to all people that can have some of their loans forgiven, this is how it should have always been. My 2010 era state U loans are already paid off so obviously I'm doing great, but there are current and future generations burdened by usurious debt that need help. Keep advocating for reform and uh, hope that your elected officials will occasionally do something with their overwhelming popular mandate!

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Look, I had to poo poo in a bucket and eat bread sandwiches day in and day out for ten years straight just so I could throw every paycheck I had into a giant burning pit called “Student Loan Payments” and it’s not fair all you goddamn kids don’t have to do the same. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to get the PPP loan for my fart piano app business forgiven.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Look, I had to poo poo in a bucket and eat bread sandwiches day in and day out for ten years straight just so I could throw every paycheck I had into a giant burning pit called “Student Loan Payments” and it’s not fair all you goddamn kids don’t have to do the same. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to get the PPP loan for my fart piano app business forgiven.

drat, a whole piano of fart buttons? fuckin genius

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
as always, bullying gets the goods. maybe not all of them but some of them

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

thechosenone posted:

I mean we do mercilessly mock non maskers but I doubt COVID thread goers are gonna actually attack people or anything.

But yeah like we aren't maxed out on long COVID sufferers right? And if we keep squeezing healthcare and don't find some cure for long COVID that population probably won't balance out until it's dying as fast as it's being made from new infections.

Good luck persecuting the sick when you are too sick to persecute them (because I know many will try anyway even if they too suffer, but it's gonna be hard on any would be persecutor who can't climb up the stairs to someone's house or move with enough force to throw a brick. Probably end up shooting themselves In the foot because their arm gave out mid shot).

COVID thread goers will be the only people left who can throw brick.:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

as many are pointing out, batya is a deputy editor at newsweek......

lol that’s not a real job or a real publication