Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Just finished the last episode of the latest season of Stranger Things. It was good. It's mostly carried by its excellent characters because the plot is just mostly nonsense, but the main characters are so good. I can't get enough of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Almost through Eureka so I'm starting a re-watch of Psych. James Roday Rodriguez plays Shawn Spenser, a fake psychic with well-developed observation skills and fakes "psychic visions" to give those clues to the police. You start the show thinking it's about a bunch of normal people putting up with this crazy genius rear end in a top hat (so, a bit like Sherlock). But you slowly realize that everybody on this show is crazy.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
You know that's right

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Psych probably has the best depiction of TV Best friends.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Aren't they best friends in real life too?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I Just went through the German Netflix spy drama/buddy cop comedy "Kleo".
They did a good job portraying the feel of the time period shortly after the fall of the German Democratic Republic and how much of a totalitarian hellhole that place was.
The main actress was weird. I frankly don't think she was good enough to carry that role. Especially with regards to combat.
The comedic relief straight man was great, though. He was just so incredibly exhausted by all of this nonsense.

God, some of the plot threads were just so stupid!

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
catching up on latest season of ziwe. if it doesnt get renewed i will commit an actionable threat

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Wife and I finally finished Brooklyn 99 last night and now we need a new sitcom to watch.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Lady Radia posted:

catching up on latest season of ziwe. if it doesnt get renewed i will commit an actionable threat

'Racist, sexist, homophobic Showtime executives cancel beloved Ziwe show'

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
About halfway through the first episode of Reacher I realized I had read the book the first season is based on, so it kind of killed any excitement I had for it. For some reason, my girlfriend was really, really interest in watching the whole thing. Alan Richardson is a much, much better Reacher than Tom Cruise. Cruise wasn't bad, but couldn't really pull off the intimidating aura very well. Hopefully my stepdad didn't give me the book the second season is based on so I can enjoy it more.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Season 2 is based on bad luck and trouble, which makes sense as that's the book that was SUPPOSED to first introduce us to Neagley.
It's by far one of the best of the bunch too, so I'm pretty excited for it.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I started Reacher and I’m enjoying it for what it is, but I cracked up laughing in one of the first eps when he throws out where the angle of the moons light would have been coming from days prior.

He also cleans up his brass despite the fact he uses a ridiculous hand canon that the whole town knows the deputy has?? does he roll around with a freaking dEagle in the book, or was that just for the cameras?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
big gun for big man - pretty obvious !

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Nuts and Gum posted:

I started Reacher and I’m enjoying it for what it is, but I cracked up laughing in one of the first eps when he throws out where the angle of the moons light would have been coming from days prior.

He also cleans up his brass despite the fact he uses a ridiculous hand canon that the whole town knows the deputy has?? does he roll around with a freaking dEagle in the book, or was that just for the cameras?

In the books the main "tool" Reacher habitually carries with him is his toothbrush. If he decides he needs a weapon, Reacher borrows one from someone friendly or just beats up or kills a bad guy and gets one that way.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Everyone posted:

In the books the main "tool" Reacher habitually carries with him is his toothbrush. If he decides he needs a weapon, Reacher borrows one from someone friendly or just beats up or kills a bad guy and gets one that way.

That sounds more like what this character would do. Let me see some MacGyver death traps!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Nuts and Gum posted:

Swolock Holmes

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Hughmoris posted:

Swolock Holmes

Actually, within the books, Reacher is occasionally referred to as Sherlock Homeless

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Meatgrinder posted:

Caught up with season 3 of For All Mankind. whoever picked the music to underline that it's the 90s had a stroke or something; the score is simply atrocious.

I really am trying to stay on it with this show and I'm emphasizing this, throughout the season though

DID YOU KNOW

THAT IT IS X YEAR?

WOULD YOU LIKE TO LISTEN TO THE ENTIRE SONG POSSUM KINGDOM TO ENSURE YOU UNDERSTAND THAT IT IS 1994??

what if, and we're just checking in case you don't... we turn up the soundtrack channel in the mix to maybe 15 dB louder than the dialogue?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is Reacher supposed to be a meathead in the books

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

He's supposed to be a brick shithouse with Holmes-like intelligence and streetwise.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Steve Yun posted:

It's Bosch level boomer bait. Ex special forces, MP who travels alone listening to old jazz. He's an outlaw who respects the police. Every lady he meets wants to bang him .

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Watched A Model Family, it's interesting and definitely gets you to binge it. But the cliffhanger ending is super annoying because it feels like none of the characters made any progress and they just said gently caress it wait for next season.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

devmd01 posted:

Wife and I finally finished Brooklyn 99 last night and now we need a new sitcom to watch.

I have a few you might like, not sure if they are all classed as sitcoms

Him and Her, Peep Show, Atypical, Letterkenny

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Not so much binging as sampling Warehouse 13. I remember why I really liked this show and also why this show kind of pissed me off. I think this show debuted maybe 5-10 years too soon in some ways. As Pete and Myka, Eddie McClintock and Joanne Kelly had this fun, adorable sibling chemistry. At one point in an episode Pete and Myka end up naked in bed together because that was how their artifact-enabled drunk selves gave the clue to their sober but amnesiac selves that something was wrong because [i[they would never ever do that[/i]

Meanwhile, Myka had huge lesbian chemistry with Jaime Murray's H. G. Wells and that relationship was constantly sidelined.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Everyone posted:

Not so much binging as sampling Warehouse 13. I remember why I really liked this show and also why this show kind of pissed me off. I think this show debuted maybe 5-10 years too soon in some ways. As Pete and Myka, Eddie McClintock and Joanne Kelly had this fun, adorable sibling chemistry. At one point in an episode Pete and Myka end up naked in bed together because that was how their artifact-enabled drunk selves gave the clue to their sober but amnesiac selves that something was wrong because [i[they would never ever do that[/i]

Meanwhile, Myka had huge lesbian chemistry with Jaime Murray's H. G. Wells and that relationship was constantly sidelined.

If you haven't finished this show, it's going to piss you off.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

phosdex posted:

If you haven't finished this show, it's going to piss you off.

I have and it did. It's still an enjoyable show. I just wish it had had the balls to let the lesbian ship sail free. It's one reason I wish the show had debuted in 2013 or so, after gay marriage had both become legal nationwide and also had not led to apocalypse/dogs-and-cats-living-in-sin/etc.

OTOH, Jaime Murray being mostly away from Warehouse 13 meant she could be on Defiance and she was loving amazing on Defiance.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

bowmore posted:

I have a few you might like, not sure if they are all classed as sitcoms

Him and Her, Peep Show, Atypical, Letterkenny

I love how you mention Peep Show en passant.

That show is loving class. The absolute best and you can quote me on that.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Moving on a bit from W-13, I'm going to Killjoys. Killjoys was loving fun and gay and more fun.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I really am trying to stay on it with this show and I'm emphasizing this, throughout the season though

DID YOU KNOW

THAT IT IS X YEAR?

WOULD YOU LIKE TO LISTEN TO THE ENTIRE SONG POSSUM KINGDOM TO ENSURE YOU UNDERSTAND THAT IT IS 1994??

what if, and we're just checking in case you don't... we turn up the soundtrack channel in the mix to maybe 15 dB louder than the dialogue?

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. I'm not saying they never do it, but I don't see it to any excess and that's despite their maybe having more of an excuse than other nostalgia-based shows due to the mix-up of eras and tech; the viewer might need more cultural anchors than normal. But again, I don't think the show overdoes it at all.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that’s baffling. I don’t think I can even remember any of the needledrops in s3.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

devmd01 posted:

Have you seen The Last Man on Earth? I just finished it (actually came here to post about it) and enjoyed it. Season 3 kind of dragged, but season 4 finished pretty strong. It took me several months to watch, kind of skipping weeks at a time and having nights where I watched 2-4 episodes at once. Will Forte is hilarious and I wish he did more things.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

devmd01 posted:

Are you looking for the same kind of silly vibe?

Some recommendations:
- What We Do In The Shadows (Hulu/FX)
- Wellington Paranormal (HBO Max)
- Angie Tribeca (Hulu)
- Avenue 5 (HBO Max)

If you're don't need something with quite that same tone, Mythic Quest and Corporate are both worth looking into.

Or go back and find the original run of Sledge Hammer! (!). I haven't watched it in many years, so I take no responsibility for any of the jokes that inevitably aged poorly. Its brand of satire was far ahead of its time though, so maybe it's not too problematic?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Finished A League of Their Own on Prime video. I doubt it will get into my top 10 of the year but I thought it was pretty good. The show keeps the humor of the movie, I think adds more feel-good moments, and definitely makes it an adaptation for the 2020's perspective. I'd go so far as to call it as an LGBTQ show more than a baseball show, or at least it balances it's various themes well. As an adaptation I found it pretty interesting they took the literal throw-away scene from the movie of an African American woman throwing the baseball back into the field of play and made it into a major and mostly separate part of the show. It would have been easier to substitute in some black players on the team or even had an all-black team in the league or something, but that's probably not historically accurate, so they dedicated a lot of time to the experience of people excluded from the main baseball league. I can imagine for some viewers there wasn't enough connection to the main story of the Rockford Peaches. Once I got to the point of realizing it's not really a baseball show anymore it worked well enough for me though. The casting was pretty great.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah that’s baffling. I don’t think I can even remember any of the needledrops in s3.

I found the choice of songs very grating, especially in contrast with what was being shown on screen - I immediately knew what scene that was with Possum Kingdom, it really did not fit in any way and I have to agree that it was way too loud as well. To me, it was less about excessively signalling what decade it is and more about not fitting the score to the scene. In contrast, Stranger Things, which is very blatantly a time piece show, integrates music of the era seemlessly to echo the action and the character's emotions.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
It's been interesting to see The Undeclared War from Channel 4 and also on Peacock, a show set in 2024 about a major Russian cyber attack on Britain. They went quite far to set it into our world in two years with the PM being 'the one who ousted Boris Johnson', some covid measures still in place and a reference to 'the Ukraine war' but reality has overtaken it as they clearly do not mean the actual Ukraine war with a RT clone still operating in the UK and travel from and to Russia being normal.

As a show a lot of it is painfully familiar. The protagonist is a brilliant young woman who cracks the case on her first day at GCHQ but is still rejected by her colleagues and also by her family. The hacking is portrayed quite well but they do a Queen's Gambit with hacking being portrayed as someone trying to access a physical thing like a building in their mind with a belt of tools. But just as it seemed to be going nowhere the third episode is set entirely in Russia at troll farms and the FSB, opening up a whole new perspective and also being done very well with native Russian speakers and Russian looking locations. That drew me in enough to go watch the rest, cast is also quite good with Simon Pegg, Mark Rylance and Alex Jennings as the GCHQ people. Maisie Richardson-Sellers (from Legends of Tomorrow) is an odd choice to play an NSA liaison officer, with all the Russian speakers you'd think they would get an American for this.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress is Possum Kingdom

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I've been doing a full rewatch of iZombie, and it still holds up pretty well. It's basically got the exact right pacing for something to watch by the way while you're doing housework or working out. And I gotta say, for something that starts out as a procedural "case of the week" kind of thing, it manages a change of scope and escalation of stakes a lot better than a lot of other shows. I also quite liked the writing of the dialogue, it's funny and fast-paced without taking itself too seriously.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Escobarbarian posted:

What the gently caress is Possum Kingdom

Do you wanna die?

So help me Jesus

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lifroc posted:

I love how you mention Peep Show en passant.

That show is loving class. The absolute best and you can quote me on that.
Well yes, it's one of the best shows of all time but I'm trying to keep it low key

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Note to self:

I started watching Evil's first series two years ago and did not get past episode 6 but I did not review it so I didn't remember why and now I started it again after coming across one of the episodes on TV and I got all the way to episode 10 before realizing I stopped watching it back then because it sucks loving donkey balls.

End note.