Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
You can do an inverted-vee or sloper with just one high-point tossed in a tree. It doesn’t have to be permanent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Element length is the biggest thing.

Here's my i-only-did-30-years-in-this-hobby-take:

get it at or longer than 1/8 wavelength and with a coil match you can make it work
but a 5ft whip will NEVER work at 75m.

look at the waves not the feet

radiation resistance below that is just too hard to deal with and unless you're building a 630m setup (DO NOT DO THIS) more wire is always better than more coil

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you loving MOTHER FUCKERS

https://qrpblog.com/2022/08/icom-ic-905-shf-sdr-transceiver-2-4-5-6-10ghz/

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What is even in the 10ths range that is ham-related?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

satellite, but I don’t know of any amateur sats visible from north america in the x-band offhand

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i feel like we (US) at least have pretty open gently caress around privs in these spaces tho?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://www.arrl.org/band-plan

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

Getting one of those oval black and white stickers for my car that says 10368.100

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Is it just me or is it weird to have ATV features but not 900 MHz? Isn't that a popular band for ATV because there's a lot of room to play and it overlaps with standard cable frequencies allowing off the shelf TVs to receive?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Isn't 900 MHz one of the Forbidden Frequencies cus we still haven't updated the lovely "no spying on analog cell phones" law from the 90s?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Japan doesn't have a 902-928 allocation, and these radios are built for Japan First, Rest Of The World Second.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
What is the TG for this thread? Local repeater finally have DMR :D

That IC-905 is very tempting since i already have everthing i need for QO-100 except something that can transmit 2.4 ghz.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I found out that it might be cheaper to buy a IC-7300 from tokyo and pay TAXES rather than buying locally (which is sold out all the time forever).
The radio shop's inventory in norway is... not good.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Big Mackson posted:

What is the TG for this thread? Local repeater finally have DMR :D

That IC-905 is very tempting since i already have everthing i need for QO-100 except something that can transmit 2.4 ghz.

3163563 brandmeister

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

Radio Nowhere posted:

3163563 brandmeister

Remember to do group and not private.

It's pretty quiet outside of the net, but some of us will generally have a radio on from time to time.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I discovered that the Internet Archive has a bunch of old radio dramas on it, so now I'm considering putting together a little AM transmitter so I can be a dork and listen in on my old radios. (got my Little Orphan Annie decoder ring and all)

Anyone built one of these and been pleased with the results? Kits or schematics preferred, it's kind of boring to just buy a ready-made thing. I've got a few tubes lying around but for convenience solid-state is best.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Here's a fairly simple PLL controlled one: https://nfor.nl/radioforumservice/index.php?p=artikelen&sub=artikel-am-pll-2-1
Be aware it's designed for the 9kHz channel spacing - you'll probably need to change some divider stuff if you want it to adhere to the 10kHz USA channel spacing.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

drunk mutt posted:

Remember to do group and not private.

It's pretty quiet outside of the net, but some of us will generally have a radio on from time to time.

Thx, i didnt understand why i contacted [redacted] directly lol.
edit: i confirmed with the customs office that i indeed just have to pay 25% extra of what the item costs thus saving 200 dollars over buying locally. IC-7300 will replace my KX3 and i will finally have 100w. Aglow in Radiation.

Big Mackson fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 25, 2022

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
Yep, that was a dead group. Dead and gay as they say.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

I discovered that the Internet Archive has a bunch of old radio dramas on it, so now I'm considering putting together a little AM transmitter so I can be a dork and listen in on my old radios. (got my Little Orphan Annie decoder ring and all)

Anyone built one of these and been pleased with the results? Kits or schematics preferred, it's kind of boring to just buy a ready-made thing. I've got a few tubes lying around but for convenience solid-state is best.

i'm interested in this, too. i broadcast soma fm over FM with part 15 stuff, but i'd love to have an option for AM that takes audio in or whatever. I haven't been able to find anything suitable, by which I mean something that's a cheap dongle or just involves some software and jamming an antenna onto a gpio pin on a raspberry pi

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat
Yeah, it will come to life Tue/Fri 9p eastern. Generally the script is ran through in like 10 minutes and a lot of times we'll rag chew afterwards for a bit.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
2 days from tokyo to norway for my ic-7300, slower from south norway to north norway lol.

Have anybody tried PTRX-7300? I am looking for ways to get the best broad spectrum signal out of 7300 to computer/sdr.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Big Mackson posted:

2 days from tokyo to norway for my ic-7300, slower from south norway to north norway lol.

Have anybody tried PTRX-7300? I am looking for ways to get the best broad spectrum signal out of 7300 to computer/sdr.

I had a PTRX when I owned a 7300, it was great. It was super easy to install (and remove), as well - I think you'll spend more time with the screws for the case, than it takes to install.

I had it paired with an RSP1A, and it worked perfectly - I had the VFO synced with it using omnirig.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

manero posted:

I had a PTRX when I owned a 7300, it was great. It was super easy to install (and remove), as well - I think you'll spend more time with the screws for the case, than it takes to install.

I had it paired with an RSP1A, and it worked perfectly - I had the VFO synced with it using omnirig.

Awesome, maybe my "touch of death" as my brother has dubbed it wont affect the ic-7300 while installing.
(i also have a rsp1a so are you me from the future?)

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Big Mackson posted:

Awesome, maybe my "touch of death" as my brother has dubbed it wont affect the ic-7300 while installing.
(i also have a rsp1a so are you me from the future?)

It's easy, just follow the directions. I'm pretty sure you can find videos on YT of people performing the installation.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
PTRX is avaible locally. not bad. *nods buscemicly*

ic-7300 is great. what more can i say? its heavy tho.
*goes back to listening to 6m even though nothing have been heard there all year*

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Big Mackson posted:

PTRX is avaible locally. not bad. *nods buscemicly*

ic-7300 is great. what more can i say? its heavy tho.
*goes back to listening to 6m even though nothing have been heard there all year*

I got all excited over my first 6m contact. It was another guy like 4 houses down from me, but at least I’ve got a local buddy in the neighborhood.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

blugu64 posted:

I got all excited over my first 6m contact. It was another guy like 4 houses down from me, but at least I’ve got a local buddy in the neighborhood.

lol, a qso is a qso i guess.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
After sending 100w ft8/wspr for 2 minutes swr goes to infinity. 10w for 8 minutes swr stay the same. I bought a new radio so i could 100w :negative:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
something is heating up or saturating at a point at or past the antenna jack on the rig (assuming the rig isnt defective). whats your antenna and feedline setup

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Big Mackson posted:

After sending 100w ft8/wspr for 2 minutes swr goes to infinity. 10w for 8 minutes swr stay the same. I bought a new radio so i could 100w :negative:

What kind of antenna are you running? While there’s a chance you’re exceeding the duty cycle of your transmitter, the high-swr symptom reminds me of a saturated transformer in something like an end-fed antenna.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my exact thinking. Bet there's some ferrite in the pipe and it's heating up

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
Tested with dummy load and nothing went wrong so it is either antenna,cable, or the 9:1 balun. Just glad it wasnt the radio.

random wire (17-18 meterish long, it is a telephone wire) and 9:1 balun.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
This is what’s inside a cheap ebay “100w” transformer, versus what DIY plans suggest for “100w ssb/50w AM”

I spent twice as much on the bare ferrites as I did for the whole ebay thing, but the size is what gets you power handling.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
Fun thing I did with my SDR on 80m just now: there's a pair of conversations going on at 3.386 MHz, one on upper side band, and the other on lower side band. SDRuno lets me spin up 2 virtual receivers and demodulate both at once :twisted:

the guys on upper side band (wrong) were having a nice chat about HVAC, and the guys on lower side band (right) were arguing about government conspiracies

EDIT: nevermind the upper side band guys have switched over to conspiracy chat too. That didn't take long!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

eddiewalker posted:

This is what’s inside a cheap ebay “100w” transformer, versus what DIY plans suggest for “100w ssb/50w AM”

I spent twice as much on the bare ferrites as I did for the whole ebay thing, but the size is what gets you power handling.

its the 9:1 thing. it's really hard on ununs.

I really like 43 or 86 foot (so 13 or 26m) wires, fed against ground, with a 4:1 unun. i had an 86 foot inverted L up fed via 4:1 and about 40 feet of LMR400 to keep the loss down, and with a manual tuner i could do 160-10, though i focused on 40 and 20.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
Now that i just send at 50w until i replace balun/wire/coax i wanted to send ft8 in the MORNING for once to see who hears me. yeah, i know.
this was the result.

i should wake up earlier.

ordered magnetic balun and wire made by sotabeams. if things overheat after that then idk.

Big Mackson fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Sep 14, 2022

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
Here is my rig station after installation of ptrx-7300.

whops wrong picture, they look so similar.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
my signals on 20m goes all over the world: i sleep

first time anyone have heard me on 6m: real poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yep!

My current record is Denver to Canary Islands on 6m. It took me a few FT8 tx's to grab him and about 80 watts into my 2 element beam, but we got er done.