Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Can labour be led by a woman for once.

I don't mind if she is to the right of Priti, it's just embarrassing at this point that the loving Tories have had 3.

Not a member btw.

Page snipe: 332 is the 32nd number to come after 300.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

One of the problems with the Labour party is a whole bunch of tory "allies" feel excluded in the tory party and come take big dinosaur shits inside the party that should ostensibly be the party of Labour.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

notaspy posted:

I don't mind if she is to the right of Priti, it's just embarrassing at this point that the loving Tories have had 3.

Not a member btw.

Better to have a leader with good politics than one that fits the preferred gender/race/sexuality profile imvho

Like yeah if Zarah Sultana could be leader that would be awesome but if it's a choice between I dunno Rachel Reeves and Richard Burgon then give me Big Dick every time.

The "our next leader should be a woman" brigade who were all in on Cooper/Kendall vs. Corbyn all shut up very quickly when Starmer was running against RLB, too.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

notaspy posted:

Not a member btw.

I voted for a woman to be leader last time round, and for deputy. But no, thinking having a woman as leader regardless of her politics is a stupid idea. Politics is the most important feature of a politician.

Although saying all that, it doesn't matter, Labour should die, rubbish party, bin it

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 24, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah it doesn't have to be either or, wasn't last time, but I'm picking based on politics.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I don't know that I will ever understand assimilationists, people who look at lovely power structures and go "god I wish I was on top of that"
Some people think that about livestock too. Some of them are the same people.

History Comes Inside! posted:

I just got my annual usage statements through for the gas and leccy, in the last 12 months 60% of what I paid for gas was just for the standing charge lol
I'm giving deep thoughts to just not having gas. It's a shame that didn't add up at all when I spent a lot on having the 40 year old pants-making GBS threads combi boiler replaced. If that'd happened this winter instead of a few years back I'd have gone with a couple of mini-split heat pumps, an induction hob, and one of those heat pump hot water tanks that yea aren't great but could just sit in the bathroom and then get the gas shut off.

ThomasPaine posted:

Speaking of paedos did the qualitative research wank paper ever get discussed in here? I've not checked the thread in a while.
The anime one? Yeah that got discussed, with the conclusion that arch-terf Germaine Greer wrote something far worse (real boys) that was celebrated at the time (other than by gay men, who rightly pointed out that if they had written same they'd be lynched)

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

The Labour Party is a lost cause at this point

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

Speaking of paedos did the qualitative research wank paper ever get discussed in here? I've not checked the thread in a while.

I got probated for a week because I thought it was funny that the guy had almost the exact same name as a wrestler and posted it in a wrestling thread! Good Times.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
That said, it's perfectly fair to point out that Labour really does have a startlingly misogynistic internal culture and the lack of female leaders is one of the more visible manifestations of that. You would not believe some of the poo poo I heard in the 2020 leadership hustings.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Well you know what the working class are like, will take them another couple of decades to catch up with Twitter.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Hello, my name is Mr Snrub. I come from faaar away. Tell me about this 'Labour' political party you speak of.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Also, if you hare your progenitors as much as me, when I was staying with them I used to play simlish songs whilst I was doing whatever. it's key to select songs they will know, like hot n cold by Katy Perry, and when you're asked what language that is, innocently carry on and say its Katy Perry. Just enough English words to make a 72 yo woman worry she's having a stroke.

Of course, I'm now stranded in Clacton, where fat women go to shout at their children, and belt them. Dont think I won.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I know some of you have got kids, don't know if any of your kids are in this age group!
Deadline 31st August.

quote:

People with children aged between 16 and 19 who are continuing in full-time education must inform HMRC before August 31 or they could risk losing out on payments.

The rule applies to anyone with children who turned 16 this year or will do before the end of August.

Families who miss the upcoming deadline will see their benefit payments stopped automatically.

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/20737639.child-benefit-payments-hmrc-deadline-week-see-families-miss-3-400/

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
IMO the best woman labour candidate for leader I've seen is Zarah Sultana hands down. Best I've seen since JC.

But it all comes back to labour being a lost cause.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Trickjaw posted:

Hello, my name is Mr Snrub. I come from faaar away. Tell me about this 'Labour' political party you speak of.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

As a dsylexic, I get this.
Also as a dsylexic I don't write for a major newspaper.

Maybe they are going socalist and talking about the whole working class?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Minky, musty, sly old stoaty stoaty stoat!

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

History Comes Inside! posted:

I just got my annual usage statements through for the gas and leccy, in the last 12 months 60% of what I paid for gas was just for the standing charge lol

Yeah this is similar to our situation. The only gas we use now is the rings on the cooker, so I'm paying £10/mo, of which £8 is standing charge (27p/day). Somehow I'm still £84 in credit.

At what point do I replace the cooker though? Do I sell it while it's still worth something, or swap it our for all-electric and get off the gas? Ugh.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Dead Goon posted:

Minky, musty, sly old stoaty stoaty stoat!

What about badger?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I'd be very tempted to at least grab an electric (or induction) hob and stop using the gas in the short-term even if you don't swap out the whole oven. Seems mad to be paying £100 over a year for nothing, otherwise.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Biggus Dickus posted:

Yeah this is similar to our situation. The only gas we use now is the rings on the cooker, so I'm paying £10/mo, of which £8 is standing charge (27p/day). Somehow I'm still £84 in credit.

At what point do I replace the cooker though? Do I sell it while it's still worth something, or swap it our for all-electric and get off the gas? Ugh.

Get an induction. You won't regret it.

Induction + decent pan will blow any average gas hob out of the water.

You can get a countertop Tefal induction hob for about £40 last I checked.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
wuruwurgh sponsuh uh sunsubul keith polutushun for as luttal as sux hundrud pounds a munth

thus sunsubul polutushun has hud to endure the indugnity of swutching to prosucco at lunch instuhd of champagne :smith:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

My my is that a certain Coohoolin I see as the guest on the latest TrashFuture bonus episode.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62568027

merry christmas, everyone

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Not mentioned at all: renationalisation

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1562576810855915520?s=20&t=KSPzkos2X-m0fLNLv5sDgw

quote:

On top of higher energy bills, we definitely don’t want to pay a skim-off for banks

A skim-off for shareholders is cool though.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Z the IVth posted:

Get an induction. You won't regret it.

Induction + decent pan will blow any average gas hob out of the water.

It’s not quite as good as gas, but I definitely love my induction hob. I would recommend them to everyone, they are really great.

And if you leave an induction hob on by accident, it turns itself off as soon as it can’t detect a pan. And it’s easy to clean.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I did a YouGov survey recently and one of the questions was something like ‘which of these solutions do you think is best for tackling the energy price crisis’ and nationalisation wasn’t even an option, which was baffling.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Misread this as political pipe bombs at first and was like "drat, that escalated."

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scientastic posted:

It’s not quite as good as gas, but I definitely love my induction hob. I would recommend them to everyone, they are really great.

And if you leave an induction hob on by accident, it turns itself off as soon as it can’t detect a pan. And it’s easy to clean.

I think a proper gas hob will be better than an induction but you'll actually need to get a high flow (BTU?) one. My current induction is better than any gas I've used. Gas is better if you want to use a wok though.

Biggest risk of induction is you leave an empty pan on it and it superheats.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Z the IVth posted:

Biggest risk of induction is you leave an empty pan on it and it superheats.

Mine has a cut out that stops it doing this, if it’s not getting enough resistance to the heating it shuts off

The main issue I have is that it also has a time limiter where it shuts off if you’re cooking something for long periods of time. This is OK when you’re in the kitchen anyway, but a massive ball ache to discover when you wanted to leave something simmering and stewing for hours.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Dah da-da da, da da, da da
It superheats, superheats 🎶

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Scientastic posted:

Mine has a cut out that stops it doing this, if it’s not getting enough resistance to the heating it shuts off

The main issue I have is that it also has a time limiter where it shuts off if you’re cooking something for long periods of time. This is OK when you’re in the kitchen anyway, but a massive ball ache to discover when you wanted to leave something simmering and stewing for hours.

Get yourself a slow cooker for stuff like that, presuming you’ve got room to store one I guess

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

IMO the best woman labour candidate for leader I've seen is Zarah Sultana hands down. Best I've seen since JC.

But it all comes back to labour being a lost cause.

Yep, she's a good communicator with the exact ideas we need right now and Labour are briefing against her and trying to get her deselected.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Z the IVth posted:

Yeah if you're debating the switch you don't need to go for a fancy fitted cooktop, you can just put a steady bit of board on top of your gas hob (after you turn the gas off at the big lever) and put something like

on top of it.

I have an old Maplin one from their closing down sale, but it's only a single ring.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My mum has an induction and it has a slight habit of magnetizing the cutlery in the drawer below.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
UKMT Summer 2022 - Alert Notice! poo poo Pipes May Contain Some Water.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Urrrgh.

I hate universal credit reporting periods.

My wife changed job at the end of July. There past from her last place was at the start of the reporting period, the pay from her new job right at the end. So now UC think she has earned twice as much this month and we are getting nothing.

This absolutely sucks and we need something to sort this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scientastic posted:

The other great kitchen gadget to have like the other goon mentioned is a slow cooker, or it's big brother the Instant Pot.

Pressure cook, steam and even air fry in one convenient pot.