Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7-7X9t3shE

i miss china

edit: lol this video's narrator goes hard on the oppresive chinese state thing

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 18:35 on Aug 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/AlecStapp/status/1562272035698577408?t=H55jRovg2TP9FvdPestIxQ&s=19

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nmr1: o fuk...
nmr2: this is it

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/AliAhmadi_Iran/status/1562479131803406336

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

DiscountDildos posted:

Another good :stare: lmao :stare: bit from that Ghana thread

man my knowledge of what china and the west are doing in africa / my knowledge of what's going on there in general is disgracefully lacking

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

uh so how many embassies has the us openly and directly bombed or attacked aside from the chinese one in the 90s

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

Hillary did benghazi

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Speaking of nuclear, and on something you might know about : that Ukraine book made a point i should have realized way before. We consider geological situation and location for ANY major engineering building. The World Bank had access to the most skilled geotechnical engineers in the world. The Bataan Nuclear Power Plant was a robbery not a "mistake".

Cracked and pinged

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

mila kunis posted:

man my knowledge of what china and the west are doing in africa / my knowledge of what's going on there in general is disgracefully lacking

they're doing orthodox Marxism OP

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

stephenthinkpad posted:

Setting it up wise is pretty easy. But it still is not 100% working for my phone. I just follow the first YouTube video I found and enable the play store. It works just like a real play store and my purchased history all work. However the few purchased apps are not labelled as "purchased", they show up with price so maybe Google want me pay for them again? I haven't tried.

So it depends on how deep you have invested in the google play system. For me the big thing is YouTube and gmap login and they work just fine.

Have you looked at the Honor phones? They spinoff that division already so thet get proper google apps.

I also setup two other Android phones recently so I know how much easier you can migrant to generic Android phone with google preinstalled. Google just download all my apps including the Awful app and the password without me doing anything. So it's still alot easier on a generic realme oneplus samsung phone.

I don't actually use much in the way of apps, mainly its just having my gmail, contacts, pictures, the few apps i do use, and all that synced up and usable. Its not having all the contacts and stuff linked that made it a no go to consider, but it sounds like all that basically works fine? Interesting to hear about the honor ones but they seem pretty generic looking. Maybe they'll bring some of their more interesting ones over to that spinoff or something.

crepeface posted:

what are the interesting Huawei phones and why? I might upgrade soon and my usual go-to (pixels) seems to have gone to poo poo.

They have one, the Mate Xs 2 which is the only folding phone I've seen that looks like a normal phone when closed up, not some freaky narrow and thick ugly thing that doesn't even close right, due to not folding in the center. I always wanted to like the idea of the folding phones but every implementation looked like hot garbage, until I saw that Huawei one.

I'm not even in the US so its extra bullshit the US government's war on china is loving up phones for the rest of us.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/nktpnd/status/1562411748971483137

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
hopefully they don't cut corners this time, for everyone's sake

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Wonder if this has anything to do with the reshuffle after the fallout of Abe's assassination.

Was kinda lol that some goon said that Japan's political situation probably can't survive the public actually paying attention to it.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
imagining the modern, intersectional cia planning a false flag attack on the chinese embassy in ghana, but abandoning it only because every agent refuses to wear blackface

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

exmarx posted:

imagining the modern, intersectional cia planning a false flag attack on the chinese embassy in ghana, but abandoning it only because every agent refuses to wear blackface

I was gonna make a joke about "The Spook Who Fit the Diversity Quota" but that's the actual plot of The Spook Who Sat by The Door.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3_8K1HgzMk

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They came up with the pun first and worked backwards from there.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
student debt in china. obviously much more reasonable than in the US but still needs improvement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMoQRuTjb2M

also BT news announcing a new show with rotating hosts focused on china

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

indigi posted:

they're doing orthodox Marxism OP

Unleasing productive forces, yo.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/TerceraVenida/status/1562423706021875715

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The entire period between 1949 and 1997 is just "the cultural revolution"

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

The revolution wasn't televised.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

those loving sickos. a fate worse than death, surely

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Amazon Prime's show Terminal List has a character who is a Chinese immigrant. We learn her father shipped his wife and kids to America so that they would be safe as he stood up against Deng Xiaoping.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Nationalization of private enterprises happened at least good 10 years before CR.

And, how is that sick sense of humor. What job would you assign a person with prior projection skill to do?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

yeah what job should he have done?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
anime appraiser

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

anime appraiser

yeah this, he was clearly qualified as a movie theater owner!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

did anyone post about the thailand coup leader/prime minister getting removed from office due to a legal challenge about term limits

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

stephenthinkpad posted:

Nationalization of private enterprises happened at least good 10 years before CR.

And, how is that sick sense of humor. What job would you assign a person with prior projection skill to do?

I would have made him a projectionist at least, but I do not have the heart of a warrior.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

lobster shirt posted:

did anyone post about the thailand coup leader/prime minister getting removed from office due to a legal challenge about term limits

Thailand elites usually use their "constitution court" to do all the power struggle dirty poo poo. So I whenever I see "constitution court" in the news, I expect there was some back door dealing.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

reminds me of how Aisin-Gioro Puyi, the last emperor, became a street sweeper in Beijing

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

30.5 Days posted:

I would have made him a projectionist at least, but I do not have the heart of a warrior.

Guy probably just had things mixed up. Old chinese theaters didn't have usher. You paid for the ticket, you go in and grab an empty seat. Nobody is going to bean a flashlight at you. You could smoke all you want.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

stephenthinkpad posted:

Thailand elites usually use their "constitution court" to do all the power struggle dirty poo poo. So I whenever I see "constitution court" in the news, I expect there was some back door dealing.

yeah i think that's about right, my admittedly non expert read is that the deep state/royal family are hoping to capitalize on prayuth's unpopularity by taking him out of office, hoping that will mollify enough of the liberal-ish pro democracy protesters that they can go back to easily suppressing and ignoring protests. guess we will see! at any rate, the legal argument that "your term in office started immediately after the coup, so your eight years in power are up" is funny to me, especially if the court actually agrees and fully takes him out of office.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Yeah I mean he doesn't have to move, he still gets to use what skills he had, and on the evens reducing price gouging for movies helps everyone be happier.

Ultimately people learn to be selfish I think initially from avoidence of the threat of scarcity, and that it can then perpetuate from there without it (which is part of why rich people are assholes, among many others). Ultimately selfish behavior cannot actually protect one from scarcity as well as collective behavior (unless you conclude the selfish thing to do is to be collectivist in behavior because it ensures your safety on average), and so selfish modes of economy are inherently less self sustaining than others.

Given all that was accomplished in spite of capitalism with all the resources it has wasted, one can only imagine what could have been accomplished if there was a global system of communist governments like, starting around 1776.

Like I'm pretty sure we'd have useful implementations of quantum computers, maybe some fusion (or direct energy conversion of fission perhaps), and probably would have fully taken advantage of things like fuel cells as storage as well as a better understanding of the body's systems and how to use them to help patients.

Like on top of people not having to starve or face social alienation or be left for dead from natural disasters etc.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
https://twitter.com/notyungsouichi/status/1562524775066390529?cxt=HHwWgsCiqaOAmq8rAAAA

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

fart simpson posted:

yeah what job should he have done?

Managing the cinema, projectionist. An usher in the west is someone that looks at your pre assigned seat number ticket and takes you to it, and kicks people out of the wrong seat. It takes less time to learn the skills of an usher.

Unless!

By owner of cinema, OP meant he literally owned the capital and hired workers to manage the cinema and project and couldn't do any of the work in which case usher is p funny.

droll has issued a correction as of 16:44 on Aug 25, 2022

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

droll posted:

Managing the cinema, projectionist. An usher in the west is someone that looks at your pre assigned seat number ticket and takes you to it, and kicks people out of the wrong seat. It takes less time to learn the skills of an usher.

so? presumably they already had a manager and a projectionist

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

fart simpson posted:

I edited my post to point out the diff between petite and haute bourgeoisie. If former then possibly not

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

this movie rules. the kaiju basically stands in for war communism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

fart simpson posted:

Well that's what is being said. If he was actually running the place directly and was the most skilled person for the position he was in them yeah he should have probably been out where he was needed.

But if the tweeter is bullshitting and his grandpa was not (as his post's tone attempts to imply) actually contributing to the proper working of the theater than it was both just and practical to put him in such a lowly position so that a more skilled worker could do a more important job.