Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

He's getting really gross with all of the "LOOK AT ALL MY MONEY YOU POOR BITCHES" videos. Maybe they do well and the algorithm is driving him to do them? Maybe hes just a new money shithead?

:iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

forest spirit posted:

Wait has the Linus Labs thing been releasing videos/reviews? I hadn't noticed. I don't really watch Linus much anymore.

Apparently what they have released is underwhelming?

As far as I know labs hasn't put out specific videos but they've mentioned in a couple reviews that the review has labs content or whatever. So far it's seemed either basically identical to what they did before, or a wall of numbers visible for 5 seconds with no explanation of what any of it actually means. So not really surprising.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

He's a nerd influencer. It's just how it is. Millions of people fantasize about being just like em. It's no different than Insta/TikTok stars. It's a bullshit industry filled with flaunting riches.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

He's getting really gross with all of the "LOOK AT ALL MY MONEY YOU POOR BITCHES" videos. Maybe they do well and the algorithm is driving him to do them? Maybe hes just a new money shithead?

:iiam:

I mean, Mr Beast is one of the biggest names in YouTube and his entire schtick is just 'look how much money I have to burn on stuff'. So it's not exactly unprecedented. And it's arguably fun to watch videos about big extravagant indulgences. But where it gets muddled for LMG is that someone like MrBeast (who I personally still find kind of in poor taste) feels like his wealth is in the context of the YouTube channel (i.e. we got a bunch of money from a sponsor to do this video) and also has a big altruistic element - a lot of it involves charitable donations and the like - Linus really wants you to know that he's just like us, and what we're watching is the real him, uh, enjoying his money??

But yeah I'm sure his underage audience who dreams of owning an overpowerd RGB nightmare computer eat all that poo poo up. But you never know. I'd bet they're entrenched enough in the algorithm where they'll always get the views they need, but so much of it is tied up in the fortunes of YouTube and I don't think they're in a position where a devoted community will follow them elsewhere if they ever need to, if Linus keeps pulling this poo poo. A site like YouTube is only ever one piece of American legislation away from creators suddenly not being able to do the same business as before, and whereas Steve has both the goodwill and the small scale to take it to patreon, idk about LTT.

Relatedly, MrBeast opened a burger chain in my city, and the burgers are actually pretty decent. What would the LinusBurger look like?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Also what the hell is this.

" this video does NOT advocate for the kind of large scale commercial mining that does the majority of the harm."

When ten thousand nerds worldwide use their ~300W RTX cards full bore and hundreds of smaller crypto gpu hoarders dry their strawberries on gpu exhaust, the impact is exactly the same as centralized industrial miner operations. Making it decentralized doesn't make it any better!
But op, that's not Linus' fault. He very clearly indicated that the video isn't meant to advocate for cryptofacism, despite making money off of it.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

The Grumbles posted:

Relatedly, MrBeast opened a burger chain in my city, and the burgers are actually pretty decent. What would the LinusBurger look like?

MrBeast burgers are made in ghost kitchens. A restaurant with kitchen capacity will prepare food to MrBeast specifications. Basically Uber applied to food preparation instead of taxi driving (a late capitalism nightmare).

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The Grumbles posted:

What would the LinusBurger look like?

* it's a pretty ok burger
* one random secondary ingredient is pointlessly amazing and the rest are very basic, like you get a slice of 5-year-aged Stilton Gold cheese but still heintz ketchup and iceberg lettuce
* the plate has flashing RGB lights built in that are super annoying as you try to eat
* every burger has been dropped on the floor by Linus himself during prep

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

PBCrunch posted:

MrBeast burgers are made in ghost kitchens. A restaurant with kitchen capacity will prepare food to MrBeast specifications. Basically Uber applied to food preparation instead of taxi driving (a late capitalism nightmare).

Yep absolutely. In my country there's a little icon to let you know this is the case so it's no secret.

Edit: they're also sold via Uber's food app

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 25, 2022

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I have never seen a mr beast video so I just pretend it's LA Beast in a poor fitting suit jacket attempting to sound professional and important.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
mrbeasts survival videos have nothing on the actual near death experiences LA beast encountered on a video by video basis

LA beast would squish him and then try to make a food challenge out of the remains

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
HAVE A GOOD DAY

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

Youtube tech idiots fandom thread: HAVE A GOOD DAY AAAAAUGGHGHAGHGHGH

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Inept posted:

I have never seen a mr beast video so I just pretend it's LA Beast in a poor fitting suit jacket attempting to sound professional and important.

I have never wanted to watch anything more in my life

I need business LA Beast

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Klyith posted:

* it's a pretty ok burger
* one random secondary ingredient is pointlessly amazing and the rest are very basic, like you get a slice of 5-year-aged Stilton Gold cheese but still heintz ketchup and iceberg lettuce
* the plate has flashing RGB lights built in that are super annoying as you try to eat
* every burger has been dropped on the floor by Linus himself during prep

Linus greets each guest at the door, and his wife performs literally every other duty for all of the franchises

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
If you have compliments, Linus will be happy to hear them. Any complaints, see Yvonne.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
"our sarcastic food poisoning t-shirt is breaking sales records though"

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

PBCrunch posted:

A local cheesesteak joint near me that's really good is running a ghost kitchen for a crypto burger business, and finding that out was the saddest moment in my life

(aside from all the actual sad poo poo)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What on earth is a crypto burger

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

A burger but the box has a picture of an ape with maggots coming out of his nose and eyes

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I gave in and ordered from Mr Beast because my son is a fan and god drat it the burgers were good. He loved his grilled cheese too.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It means it's laundering money.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

kirbysuperstar posted:

A burger but the box has a picture of an ape with maggots coming out of his nose and eyes

If I buy a crypto burger, do I irrevocably own the image on the box?

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If I buy a crypto burger, do I irrevocably own the image on the box?

No but they write on the burger in ketchup that you bought the image.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
There was no mention of GN on the WAN show

:rip: friendship

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

linus finally got the memo that it's shut the gently caress up friday

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Amazing

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

linus finally got the memo that it's shut the gently caress up friday

Lol you know this didn’t happen

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Linus didn't mention it but the YT chat for basically the entire 3 hour show was people arguing about whether Linus is good or bad.

edit: I've never actually watched a WAN show and just kind of jumped around randomly in this one to see what the chat is like. Maybe the chat in every single WAN show is just people arguing about whether Linus is good or bad.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
What is the LTT thing with GN anyway, was it that $250 backpack turned out to break easily and there was no warranty? I’m just piecing this together 3rd hand.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Linus didn't mention it but the YT chat for basically the entire 3 hour show was people arguing about whether Linus is good or bad.

edit: I've never actually watched a WAN show and just kind of jumped around randomly in this one to see what the chat is like. Maybe the chat in every single WAN show is just people arguing about whether Linus is good or bad.

No, that's way out of character for WAN Show chat. Usually they're decently engaged with whatever topic Luke and Linus are talking about, and Linus brings up points raised in the chat. Linus was also really pointedly ignoring their paid "merch messages" (superchats that don't give YouTube a cut) until the very end of the show whereas he normally also answers a few inbetween main topics.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Mr.Radar posted:

No, that's way out of character for WAN Show chat. Usually they're decently engaged with whatever topic Luke and Linus are talking about, and Linus brings up points raised in the chat. Linus was also really pointedly ignoring their paid "merch messages" (superchats that don't give YouTube a cut) until the very end of the show whereas he normally also answers a few inbetween main topics.

Actually i like the merch message thing tbh. Instead of donating twenty bucks to have him read a message you buy a shirt instead.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

priznat posted:

What is the LTT thing with GN anyway, was it that $250 backpack turned out to break easily and there was no warranty? I’m just piecing this together 3rd hand.

LTT is selling a 250 dollar backpack. Linus was being adamant about not offering a warranty for it

GN thought that this was bad business practice, and tried to set their own example by expanding the coverage of the warranties that they already offer

that's basically it

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

priznat posted:

It's in the last few GN news videos:

-LTT sold the backpack without a warranty until people publicly shamed them into adding a not great one
-GN was offended because warranty and reliability is important to them and is something LTT talks about sometimes, so GN backdated extra warranties for every modmat released ever
-LTT doubled down and offered a "just trust me bro" shirt about how good their warranties would be, with Luke (Linus' #2) being visibly uncomfortable on their weekly talk show, the WAN Show
-GN has written new policy about engaging with other youtubers and their products, especially LTT, and made it clear they can't let LTT pass as friends, no matter how friendly they've been in the past, and that GN will be treating LTT like any other company they cover from now on (with the important note that LTT is larger than many of the hardware companies GN already reviewed)

the backpacks seem to be "homer's car" esque overbuilt with tons of extra features (like a laptop sleeve that's actually three sleeves, for two laptops and a tablet) that Linus might want but many people are unlikely to use, but they're not poorly made or of bad materials (at least not yet), having no warranty for a $250 backpack is absurd though
Linus is just riding this for all the publicity and cash he can
GN poked at Linus with their own warranty changes and then got real serious about it and went "hey, we gotta change how we think about LTT now"

tl;dr: GN good and continues to be good; LTT is unsteady and this could all blow up in their face; LTT backpacks are fine but not worth $250 unless it's exactly what you want and you're willing to risk that cash on an unproven product

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
a lot of that is supposition though. no one knows that's why they're so hesitant on warranties, but their merch head was talking about them months before this all happened so it wasn't like overlooked. this was a deliberate strategy for some reason.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

But op, that's not Linus' fault. He very clearly indicated that the video isn't meant to advocate for cryptofacism, despite making money off of it.

cryptofascism and cryptomining are two very different things. like i think mining farms are poo poo but lining up a bunch of 3080s to get ethereum isn't a dogwhistle for nazis or something.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I’ve bought pricey bags before but they always have excellent warranties. Although never had to use them because the bags were really built well (hence the cost).

I totally missed that GN video for some reason, I’m subscribed but maybe was busy when it popped up and it got pushed aside.

I’ll admit to being biased against all things LTT, I just don’t like Linus.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

priznat posted:

I’ve bought pricey bags before but they always have excellent warranties. Although never had to use them because the bags were really built well (hence the cost).

I totally missed that GN video for some reason, I’m subscribed but maybe was busy when it popped up and it got pushed aside.

the first fifteen minutes of this are the policy changes at GN and are i think the only essential watch unless you want drama or need a modmat warranty claim. that's because it's not just about LTT, but good/important introspection on steve's part about what they need to be doing as a company: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsX3tUA-wJk

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

priznat posted:

Both videos were at the start of HW news, which I imagine some people skip.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Arivia posted:

It's in the last few GN news videos:

-LTT sold the backpack without a warranty until people publicly shamed them into adding a not great one
-GN was offended because warranty and reliability is important to them and is something LTT talks about sometimes, so GN backdated extra warranties for every modmat released ever
-LTT doubled down and offered a "just trust me bro" shirt about how good their warranties would be, with Luke (Linus' #2) being visibly uncomfortable on their weekly talk show, the WAN Show
-GN has written new policy about engaging with other youtubers and their products, especially LTT, and made it clear they can't let LTT pass as friends, no matter how friendly they've been in the past, and that GN will be treating LTT like any other company they cover from now on (with the important note that LTT is larger than many of the hardware companies GN already reviewed)

the backpacks seem to be "homer's car" esque overbuilt with tons of extra features (like a laptop sleeve that's actually three sleeves, for two laptops and a tablet) that Linus might want but many people are unlikely to use, but they're not poorly made or of bad materials (at least not yet), having no warranty for a $250 backpack is absurd though
Linus is just riding this for all the publicity and cash he can
GN poked at Linus with their own warranty changes and then got real serious about it and went "hey, we gotta change how we think about LTT now"

tl;dr: GN good and continues to be good; LTT is unsteady and this could all blow up in their face; LTT backpacks are fine but not worth $250 unless it's exactly what you want and you're willing to risk that cash on an unproven product

This is 99% correct, except you forgot the part where Linus didn’t want to offer a warranty because ‘if he died tomorrow he wouldn’t want to put his family on the hook for honouring it’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

CBD Corndog posted:

This is 99% correct, except you forgot the part where Linus didn’t want to offer a warranty because ‘if he died tomorrow he wouldn’t want to put his family on the hook for honouring it’

Lmao ok that is pretty hilarious. Does he still not understand how companies work?

Oh Steve Jobs died shut er down I guess