Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Its worth mentioning that the one time recently when the GOP was forced to actually govern, they ended up passing a bunch of benefits more generous than anything democrats have done since. Which is not me saying GOP good. It's just that some people's lives are literally materially better under the republicans. Because of how obsessed democrats are with sabotaging their own programs.

unwantedplatypus has issued a correction as of 00:07 on Aug 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
better aim next time, John

https://twitter.com/schwarz/status/...ingawful.com%2F

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/cenkuygur/status/1562587125702205440?s=20&t=hwlrgJ42ewxnkx78olmgIw

some portion

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

LastInLine posted:

Believe me I'm not saying voting for republicans is a good idea. I'm saying that in the majority of the country, there isn't really a choice. You can vote for republicans or democrats who are also republicans. It'd be one thing if you could expect these democrats to at least vote the party line on national issues but as we've pointed out often itt, you can't even expect that. Even if you work from the concept that being able to appoint chairs and positions as a party is somewhat valuable, the dems don't do so with consideration to building a future project and the gop does so they actively oppose or infinitely delay appointments counter to their aims while we don't get the same reciprocity by installing dems into power.

I'm not saying you're wrong, you're not, voting isn't hard and it can't hurt. That being said I don't think it can help either and in the end the lion is going to catch you. Personally I'd rather get to the actual confrontation with the lion than be tackled from behind if those are my two options. At least once the lion is on you you've moved to a new phase in the lion attack, because we aren't doing too well at this phase of it.
i think there needs to be a strategy. the way i look at, there are class struggles and there are small-d democratic struggles (such as for equality, dignity, etc.) and they are interrelated. a mistake a lot of progressive-minded people made after obama was elected is that -- while there were some progressive things about obama in this dimension of equality such as for LGBT rights, smothering a lot of bush-era religious right horseshit, and the significance at first of him being the first black president -- they demobilized themselves while he continued the (objectively reactionary) neoliberal "new democrat" policies of clinton in the 90s, which ceded ground to the astroturfed tea party to be the opposition. so that's where the class struggle comes in, since if fascism at its core comes from the most reactionary sectors of big business, only defeating them can do the job. but it's much better for the republicans to be out of power for this pivot to the class struggle to occur, otherwise you're back to trying to fend off the far right from stripping people's hard-won rights away.

it's not that you can expect the democrats to do anything. they have to be basically threatened or bullied into it. but like i was saying, this is why i think the only interesting and creative thing happening on the left right now in the U.S. is in the labor movement and it's not a coincidence it's happening *now* when you have perhaps the most pro-worker NLRB in at least two generations. the republicans would love to get ron desantis in there to paralyze the NLRB and smother this nascent labor movement (which is one of the most immediate and direct paths for the class struggle to manifest) and then apply enough pressure to (mis)direct everyone into spending 4-8 years getting into fist fights with the proud boys outside of drag bars instead. what would you prefer? you might understandably retch in the voting booth, but the hard-nosed reality is that it's one or the other.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 02:31 on Aug 25, 2022

CrimsonWolf
Aug 4, 2007

Retromancer posted:

Personally I'm interested in seeing who the new 2 joe manchins are after the dems expand their hold on the Senate.

Coons and Carper.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Retromancer posted:

Personally I'm interested in seeing who the new 2 joe manchins are after the dems expand their hold on the Senate.

The Dem Senate is gonna get a lot more productive and progressive as soon as they lose the House.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Retromancer posted:

The Democrats blamed trans people for Roe getting overturned. If we keep giving them power they'll do the pogroms before Republicans get the chance.

how do you get from trans people to abortions I missed that one but democrats never fail to be idiots so I believe it

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Retromancer posted:

The Democrats blamed trans people for Roe getting overturned. If we keep giving them power they'll do the pogroms before Republicans get the chance.

Bipartisan pogroms if they can get one Republican to join

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Private Cumshoe posted:

how do you get from trans people to abortions I missed that one but democrats never fail to be idiots so I believe it

It's just the same big brain "I lost running as a blue dog because people voted against the concept of another candidate who want good things" poo poo dems have been doing since 2010," except it's coming from increasingly closer to mainstream members of the party.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Private Cumshoe posted:

trans people rile up republican voters, so republican politicians are forced to criminalize failing to give birth to calm them down again

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/biden-student-loan-plan-slap-face-people-like-me

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Private Cumshoe posted:

The math is literally just "some people the opposition wishes to not recognize made some small gains and while that was happening an issue that affected people we actually care about lost a right they thought they had. The opposition would not have done the latter had we not allowed the former to occur."

That line of thinking makes sense if you're a liberal and don't have a political project and then apply the logic you have toward politics to the gop. Since all of politics to you is simply transactional and policy goals are discrete, and you feel the gop is also operating under this framework, then they did y in response to x.

Obviously that's not how the conservatives view politics. They have a vision and a political roadmap for bringing that vision forth and overturning Roe and negating the personhood of trans people are elements in their political vision for the future they want to build. To them policy decisions come from a system of values and ideally they want all of their values to be ensconced by policy. After all, you can't compromise on values because if you're willing to do so, they aren't values.

At the base level it's liberals' belief that because they have no value system from which they operate that neither do the conservatives.

(I'll concede it could also be one level up, that because the democratic party doesn't represent its constituents and doesn't do anything on their behalf that they view the republican party as being the same and therefore believe they shouldn't be working toward building the conservative project. This seems unlikely to me because you'd have to be profoundly stupid to not recognize that the gop is an actual political party doing politics on behalf of the conservatives but given their affinity for "rational republicans" maybe they really are that blind to the actual difference between a fundraising entity and a political party.)

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

The big salty tears in the comments are almost as funny as the op

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

ex post facho posted:

lol the framing

https://twitter.com/AyannaPressley/...ingawful.com%2F

* some restrictions apply
** your debt may not actually be canceled
*** loan repayments restart again in 2 weeks

Had a friend tell me as theirs is private loans they still have to pay. LETS GO BRANDON!

By the way the reason I want Trump back over DeSantis is Trump would probably just as likely put some goober who owns a few McDs in the NRLB as a cold hearted corporate law firm guy and Trump would be less likely to actually as an executive do anything directly against labor. DeSantis though would pass all sorts of evil poo poo. DeSantis also let’s just say from my tinfoil hat perspective is deeply concerning as he was involved with Gitmo.

Crowsbeak has issued a correction as of 14:13 on Aug 25, 2022

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Private Cumshoe posted:

Basically the Catholic psychos got so mad about pronouns and drag queen story hour that they just had to ban abortion as revenge.

It's an insane take but one that absolves the Democratic party of any responsibility.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i think there needs to be a strategy. the way i look at, there are class struggles and there are small-d democratic struggles (such as for equality, dignity, etc.) and they are interrelated.
I'm not categorically against voting for Democrats, provided it's just an instrument to wining those democratic struggles. I just won't do anything (vote, volunteer, or donate) that's just going to benefit people like Henry Cuellar and his donors. I also have standards; I'm not going to vote for Abigail Spanberger under any circumstances because I will not under any circumstances reward the Party for running spooks and ghouls.

I keep thinking about how the Republican base mostly gets what it wants from the Republican Party, partly because they don't catastrophize every election and are perfectly willing to withhold their vote from someone they consider a RINO. (There are other vital factors, though, like the fact that the base mostly either wants the same thing as capital or doesn't cost capital much of anything.)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
hmm it seems the student debt forgiveness thing also massively changes predatory interest. the minimum payment is changed from 10% of your income to 5%, and says that if you pay that much your balance won’t go up.

on top of that pell grant people get $20,000 forgiven, and that’s disproportionately minorities and disadvantaged people

the average student debt is $20,000

that actually sounds pretty excellent for once

edit: and like idiots the White House isn’t playing those parts up enough and letting people think it’s just $10,000 being forgiven

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 15:31 on Aug 25, 2022

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Steve Yun posted:

edit: and like idiots the White House isn’t playing those parts up enough and letting people think it’s just $10,000 being forgiven

That's because they're woefully incompetent this go-round.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Retromancer posted:

Basically the Catholic psychos got so mad about pronouns and drag queen story hour that they just had to ban abortion as revenge.

It's an insane take but one that absolves the Democratic party of any responsibility.

I don’t see how Protestantism run amok is our fault but go off king.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Steve Yun posted:

hmm it seems the student debt forgiveness thing also massively changes predatory interest. the minimum payment is changed from 10% of your income to 5%, and says that if you pay that much your balance won’t go up.

on top of that pell grant people get $20,000 forgiven, and that’s disproportionately minorities and disadvantaged people

the average student debt is $20,000

that actually sounds pretty excellent for once

yeah, the fuckin 5% interest thing is actually insane, if they'd led with that as "federal interest cap on student loans" or something they could have been trumpeting it from the rooftops

instead we get Means Tested Tiny Bullshit :tm:

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Iron Crowned posted:

That's because they're woefully incompetent this go-round.

Theyre woefully incompetent in everything they do.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Frosted Flake posted:

The catholic defender has logged on

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i mean, if they actually paid attention to the dude who pointed out that selling indulgences was crooked as gently caress the reformation might not have happened, so yes, the catholic church shoulders a big responsibility for causing that poo poo to happen.

also: vote for whoever you want, but you give up the right not to be called a loving dupe, a monumentally stupid loving idiot for stating your intent to continually support democrats out loud in a thread dedicated to the hope that this worthless loving party will be destroyed.

goddamn, some of you literally will talk a battered spouse into staying with their abusers and you should be loving ashamed of yourselves.

Gene Hackman Fan has issued a correction as of 15:55 on Aug 25, 2022

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

I have a really hard time believing any of that decent interest stuff will last or even be applied, considering they are making everyone apply instead of doing it automatically just to add another pointless step to maybe weed out whoever they can, this was only done at last minute and forced because their terrified of the midterms, and as a cudgel.

if it does work then good at least they will get some relief.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Frosted Flake posted:

Wouldn't want to piss off the catholics, they might gently caress some children in revenge.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Retromancer posted:

Wouldn't want to piss off the catholics, they might gently caress some children in revenge.

as opposed to loving children like they do normally.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Catholics in the US absolutely hate LGBT people in case anyone was wondering.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That's how they rationalize all the corruption and pedophilia scandals within the church, right? Nothing wrong with the Church itself, it got infiltrated by Satanic pedos.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Also fun fact every justice that voted to overturn Roe is Catholic.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I forgot that not every SCOTUS judge is Catholic.

Halloween Jack has issued a correction as of 16:08 on Aug 25, 2022

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Amy Coney Barrett is a crypto snake handler and the Pontiff has made major moves this year to rein in the Opus Dei. Given time, the SJ and OP will be able to clear out the factions PJP II empowered in the name of anti-Communism.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

And the ones that didn't, am I right?

Sotomayor is the only catholic appointed by a Democrat

Kagan is Jewish and KBJ is protestant.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

Amy Coney Barrett is a crypto snake handler and the Pontiff has made major moves this year to rein in the Opus Dei. Given time, the SJ and OP will be able to clear out the forces PJP II empowered in the name of anti-Communism.

oh holy poo poo we found an actual catholic church stan what the hell

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frosted Flake posted:

Amy Coney Barrett is a crypto snake handler and the Pontiff has made major moves this year to rein in the Opus Dei. Given time, the SJ and OP will be able to clear out the factions PJP II empowered in the name of anti-Communism.

ever wonder how many kids the dude who hears your confessions has hosed?

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"don't worry, guys, the pope has a plan and is totally not paying the barest, basic lip service in order to get the plebs to forget about it"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

we have that practice too. we call it self criticism

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

"Pope Francis is going to purge the Catholic Church of the pedos and psychos" is "hope and change" for people who still feel affinity for the vatican for whatever reason.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Retromancer posted:

oh holy poo poo we found an actual catholic church stan what the hell

Yep we’re here. Also lol . Gorsuch is a Protestant. At the end of the day you’re going to have to live with us. I’ll just also add you generally fight wars on as few fronts as possible.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Frosted Flake posted:

speaking in church acronyms is a really weird thing to do btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the drapery of papery has been drawn back and now the tapestry of papistry is laid bare