Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Blut posted:

The Euro losing ~20% (and getting worse every day) of its value against the dollar, and all of the many many global currencies pegged to the dollar, is of absolutely massive benefit to the German export orientated economy though. Once again the Euro is serving to work primarily in their interests above everyone else on the continent.

you'd think so, but the german trade deficit is apparently pretty bad at the moment, and that weakening euro is also loving with their primary market, i.e. the rest of the eurozone. i don't know if the germans can replace that loss of demand with other markets in the medium term, though, which would be a way out of that bind. recall back during the euro crisis the germans went hard on keeping the euro strong; i assume they did that for a reason.

still, i don't expect the germans to just sit around and do nothing. they may find some clever workaround here - but there are interesting times ahead for the common market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Yes, im sure having a weak euro while importing massive tons of lng from the us and trying to spin up a hydrogen ecosysten is just ideal.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
And the hydrogen ecosystem will likely turn out to be some pie in the sky BS anyway.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

V. Illych L. posted:

the issue is that expensive power really fucks the germans, who've carefully maintained a very strong export-oriented industrial economy for decades now, to the point where maintaining that economy has been at the centre of a lot of EU policy (including the hardline austerity back in the day). the longer this lasts, the more businesses are going to permanently close, and once closed they're not generally coming back. france is somewhat less exposed to this, but iirc the netherlands are sort of in the same boat as the germans. with the euro also looking very unstable, there is going to be a lot of pressure on the german export economy and with it the economic policy base of the EU

Posted this earlier, but based on the analysis in this video, the german export model isn't sustainable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWjKvehIumg

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

His Divine Shadow posted:

Posted this earlier, but based on the analysis in this video, the german export model isn't sustainable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWjKvehIumg

blyth's been saying this for years. he may well be right, but this sounds a lot like his analysis from the sovereign debt crisis. a model being effectively a series of short-term solutions only means that it's risky, not that it can't keep going.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

And the hydrogen ecosystem will likely turn out to be some pie in the sky BS anyway.

Hydrogen seems to work great where it's been tested, the problem is cleanly generating the hydrogen. It seems that so-called 'green hydrogen' costs $3-7 per kilogram compared to less than $0.90 for non-clean hydrogen generation.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Things always seem to work out when tested on a small scale so that's not really convincing me personally.

I've been looking for numbers into energy grid storage and found some. It also states reliable estimates for hydrogen are impossible to make at this time. At least on the scale the article concerns itself with.

https://www.nsenergybusiness.com/features/energy-storage-analysing-feasibility-grid-scale-options/

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Hydrogen seems to work great where it's been tested, the problem is cleanly generating the hydrogen. It seems that so-called 'green hydrogen' costs $3-7 per kilogram compared to less than $0.90 for non-clean hydrogen generation.
Burn your piss. Piss is readily available in farms, cities, and the British water supply, and is massively energetically favorable over water and inorganic electrolytes.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
One may favor nuclear or renewables for hydrogen production but if we want to get off fossil fuels we'll have to do one of them for at the very least fertilizer and other chemical production. If green and pink hydrogen is an impossible pipedream then we're just poo poo out of luck.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's been some leaps made in direct ammonia electrolysis from surplus renewables, apparently it's recently beat Haber-Bosch for efficiency, doesn't need pre-existing hydrogen, and can run for several days.

A way to go before it can compete at scale, but a big part of the idea is that smaller scale plants can be placed where fertilizer is needed, reducing transport costs/emissions too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSYCac7KD8o

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Just turn our toilets into piss batteries (pissteries don't steal) bing bong so simple.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
By a weird technicality nearly half the nitrogen in our waste was put there by Haber-Bosch, so using urea to get more efficient hydrogen electrolysis is burning natural gas by a very long route until we replace that with better ammonia synthesis.

But it's not like we were doing anything more interesting with all that piss anyway.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Magically, the EU isn't going to become energy independent tomorrow and oil/gas imports will likely ruin whatever gains the export economies manage to scrap. Meanwhile, the EUR continues to devalue and the USD seems to stay strong.

So, serious question here: what are you doing (or planning to do) with your EUR portfolio?

With the EUR devaluing, the smart move was to pull out before it did, obviously. With that window gone for most people, what's one supposed to do today? If you had a savings account, that money devalued by like 10% in mere months and chances are it will get worse before it will get better (if ever). I'm wondering how anyone with a minimum grasp of market realities (i.e. anyone smarter than me) is dealing with this. I have no idea where to even start.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Buy land, forest.

But for real I guess keep a cool head, hope the economy recovers in enough time. It's always recovered so far. We have looming climate change that might throw that off however. But I don't really see there's much to do otherwise.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

So, serious question here: what are you doing (or planning to do) with your EUR portfolio?

Nothing, your savings/stocks should be diversified anyway

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah if you have a significant amount of money sitting in a savings account you weren't doing it right in the first place. stocks mostly protect from big domestic inflation, and foreign stocks help guard against your own currency making GBS threads the bed against others

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Buy capital goods. Machines, tools, cars, houses. Whatever you are going to need or use. (Alternatively, what you think will sell later, but I don't reccomend)

There is nothing in finance that helps the average person. That's the name of the game.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Don't forget it wasn't just the Germans who did dumb poo poo leading to the current power crisis.

https://twitter.com/energybants/status/1562589041677152256
https://twitter.com/energybants/status/1562600350288293889
https://twitter.com/staunovo/status/1562729166910287877

Let's just stop maintaining all our nuclear power plants until an emergency occurs. Surely nothing bad will happen and we want to reduce nuclear power usage by half anyway. That's the French way.

https://twitter.com/Jkylebass/status/1562799846758555649

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

The thing with hydrogen is that its going to be massively subsidized, and hope that some tech breakthrough brings the cost down.problem is, storage and transportation have been around for ages so some breakthrough there is unlikely unless some miracle happens and we find a way to transport good old H at room temperature. Electrolysis seems to be the hope of the future because you can get electricity from renewables.advances in PEM are happening almost weekly now, and there's some cool stuff happening
My hope is that everything comes up aces and we find a way to get the price down to 1.5€-2€. We can probably live with that.

Antifa Poltergeist fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 26, 2022

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I think there is going to have to be energy rationing during 2023 at least. Would also not be suprised if the increase in food scarcity necessitates a food rationing system as well.
Ofcourse the ususal suspects will wail at this imposition. And there will much gnashing of teeth at the inclusion of special halal rations and perhaps also of special vegan rations.
But i really do thing that Europe will have to do it. We might have to create public cafeterias served by industrial kitchens to get people warm food next year. Its more efficent energy wise and it will reduce food waste. With modern face recognition systems we can prevent a black market trade in ration cards. Get scanned, get your soup and bread, come back next day. Try to go twice and you`ll be banned for four days. People in professions that are critical for the physical functioning of society like doctors, nurses, binmen and nucelar engineers etc get access to better cafeterias that serve more food.

To make our stand against Russia we have go full Soviet.
If this really is a economic war then its time to start acting like it.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Baudolino posted:

We might have to create public cafeterias served by industrial kitchens to get people warm food next year. Its more efficent energy wise and it will reduce food waste. With modern face recognition systems we can prevent a black market trade in ration cards. Get scanned, get your soup and bread, come back next day. Try to go twice and you`ll be banned for four days. People in professions that are critical for the physical functioning of society like doctors, nurses, binmen and nucelar engineers etc get access to better cafeterias that serve more food.

Soup -and- bread, you say? Such luxury!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Baudolino posted:

With modern face recognition systems we can prevent a black market trade in ration cards. Get scanned, get your soup and bread, come back next day. Try to go twice and you`ll be banned for four days. People in professions that are critical for the physical functioning of society like doctors, nurses, binmen and nucelar engineers etc get access to better cafeterias that serve more food.

lmao

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Baudolino posted:

I think there is going to have to be energy rationing during 2023 at least. Would also not be suprised if the increase in food scarcity necessitates a food rationing system as well.
Ofcourse the ususal suspects will wail at this imposition. And there will much gnashing of teeth at the inclusion of special halal rations and perhaps also of special vegan rations.
But i really do thing that Europe will have to do it. We might have to create public cafeterias served by industrial kitchens to get people warm food next year. Its more efficent energy wise and it will reduce food waste. With modern face recognition systems we can prevent a black market trade in ration cards. Get scanned, get your soup and bread, come back next day. Try to go twice and you`ll be banned for four days. People in professions that are critical for the physical functioning of society like doctors, nurses, binmen and nucelar engineers etc get access to better cafeterias that serve more food.

you've already lost :)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Baudolino posted:

Our hollowed out husk of a state barely even tried to rein in private interests in the name of public health, then immediately threw its hands up and we get the propaganda about how covid is seasonal and what can you do, actually brain fog helps you live better in trying times. That was an existential threat we just decided to handwave away and think really hard about it not being a big deal anymore. I don't see why the next existential threat will be any different.

I sincerely hope your vision of the state trying to do something that is not turning up the racism dial to 11 has some foundations, because from where I'm watching it looks very, very bleak.

mortons stork fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 26, 2022

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Saoshyant posted:

With the EUR devaluing, the smart move was to pull out before it did, obviously. With that window gone for most people, what's one supposed to do today? If you had a savings account, that money devalued by like 10% in mere months and chances are it will get worse before it will get better (if ever). I'm wondering how anyone with a minimum grasp of market realities (i.e. anyone smarter than me) is dealing with this. I have no idea where to even start.

Serious answer... Get connected with a group of local amateur (as in, non-instutional) stock traders and investors. A FB group perhaps. Also SA has a business and finance subforum.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
cheap euro is not great for Germany as their car market in the US is inaccessible as they like to build different spec German branded cars in the us and Mexico instead of dual speccing them.
can't say I feel sorry for germany though

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

A devaluing currency is also one of the drivers of inflation.good thing thats totally under control. Lmao that a financial collapse, a fraudulent economic policy and priting more money than god barelly matered, and it took disruption of supply chains of actual physical goods to gum things up. I feel like someone somewhere might have written something about this.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

yeah germany has won few friends and now the PIIGS are looking on rather sternly as they're scrambling to deal with getting involved in a trade war against a country they couldn't afford to have take any hostile actions against them

re: EUR portfolio, just dump your assets in some index fund. you're not going to outperform those without having an arbitrary amount of money anyway

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I've never been so happy not to have any money anyway. It doesn't affect me, I'm poor af anyway :D

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The recent Austrian proposal to redo the entire european energy market gives me some small hope. Right now the most expensive source of energy is determines 100% of the price. This has given renewables a great advantage in terms of profit margin. But during this crisis it is less than ideal. Von Leyen is in favor which is encouraging.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

An insane mind posted:

I've never been so happy not to have any money anyway. It doesn't affect me, I'm poor af anyway :D

Do you live in a cave without elecricity and heating?

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Do you live in a cave without elecricity and heating?

...I was talking about stock portfolios but go off fam. Of course the electricity, water and food poo poo affects me. What?

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Some good news to balance that little bit of insanity from Baudolino: EU gas reserves hit 80.31% of capacity as of today. The original goal was to be at 80% by November 1st, so things are going much better than expected on that front.

Saoshyant posted:

You can invest in stocks/ETFs in USD with plenty of major trading platforms that operate in Europe like eToro. If you invest (or withdraw) using a a card with very good FX rates like Revolut its even better.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Swedish government in an emergency press conference announces the enacting an emergency liquidity measure to avoid the risk a complete electricity-market collapse as markets open on monday, on account of the closing of Nord stream 1. Will call parliament into an emergency session to approve the measures.

https://www.regeringen.se/pressmeddelanden/2022/09/presstraff-med-statsministern-3-september-2022/

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 3, 2022

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Content is Coming.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

One day I will take the Dutch seriously, but today is not that day https://nltimes.nl/2022/09/15/dutch-senator-tiny-kox-accused-ties-russian-secret-service-denounces-claim-nonsense

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Tiny Kox, wtf.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

He speaks for all of us.

E: in denouncing the claim of tiny cox

Ee: it was funnier in my head -_-

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Apparently Putin had Tiny Kox in his pocket all this time, who would have guessed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Angry Lobster posted:

Apparently Putin had Tiny Kox in his pocket all this time, who would have guessed.

:golfclap: I posted this story in the picture thread but only came up with a much weaker joke