Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

i've got the fever and now i'm one ending away from getting the platinum trophy. i usually don't do this for any game, even my all-time favorites. wild game, love da game

Nice of them to make the plat pretty easy this time around. None of DS3's bullshit with farming zillions of items that most commonly drop in PVP.

Like, yeah, you have to follow the wiki to get all those legendary weapons, spells, and talismans, but the actual process of doing so isn't all that painful. Just go somewhere, kill something, do a bit of platforming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

Per Rock Paper Shotgun there are 238 bosses. I don’t think I even hit 50 in my play through unless they count non-respawning enemies (which I think they do, like the grafted scion in stormveil). What’s keeping you all on multiple playthroughs coming back? Even though this is clearly an epic and I enjoyed my 100+ hours, I don’t feel the draw to come back after becoming an Elden Lord like I do with Bloodborne. It feels exhausting instead of exhilarating.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ReverendDre posted:

Per Rock Paper Shotgun there are 238 bosses. I don’t think I even hit 50 in my play through unless they count non-respawning enemies (which I think they do, like the grafted scion in stormveil). What’s keeping you all on multiple playthroughs coming back? Even though this is clearly an epic and I enjoyed my 100+ hours, I don’t feel the draw to come back after becoming an Elden Lord like I do with Bloodborne. It feels exhausting instead of exhilarating.

Trying new builds is a lot of fun for me. Also new plays don't feel exhausting to me because I'm not only better at the game now but also I have nothing compelling me to finish. I can play at my own pace and don't feel the pressure of not having beaten xyz boss or whatever

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

A big part of the fun of souls games for me are builds and experimenting with weapons and fashion. I think that's what keeps me from really getting into Sekiro. I want to choose my weapons, have plenty of options when I hit a wall. Themed characters like a Lothric Knight on DS3, a swamp pyromamcer, a Knight of Catarina or in Elden Ring, makimg a paladin was so much fun. Medium/heavy armor, greatshield, a big weapon and incantations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, this game offers generous build diversity, plus a lot of powerful toys that you simply won't have the stats to use effectively in your first playthrough. This goes double if you get really into religion - Faith builds have dozens of possible variants, from sword-and-board paladins to some half-naked freak constantly spewing fire from their eyeballs, or a magic brawler who summons giant chunks of dragon anatomy and the burning blood of an extradimensional deity to smite their foes while giving them alien space Ebola.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
They say there's 238 bosses, but many of them are just copies of another boss with a slightly different moveset. There's probably no more than 100 actual bosses

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Soldier of Godrick

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Chevy Slyme posted:

IDK about the incantations, but the weapon art on his spear is absolutely devastating to her, with the bonus that you can use it while sitting at mid range just beyond whatever attack she’s doing to a spirit ash you have tanking

Get your talismans and incantations for optimal bleeding, and also make sure you can heal scarlet rot somehow just in case

Set up the mimic to have Rivers of Blood (it's still good) and a cold uchi, summon it, and then for your weapons get out mohgs spear and your sturdiest shield (thumbprint is good) and go to town

You can take her out in less than 5 minutes this way

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ReverendDre posted:

I've been playing a second character off and on but haven't felt much drive to complete more full playthroughs like I did with bloodborne and the souls games. it mainly just comes down to the enormous length of the game as it took me 200 hours to complete the first time since I tried to clear the whole world, and I think that's longer than I have in dark souls 3 where I completed 3 entire playthroughs. even on a replay using a map to see what dungeons/sections of the world are definitely skippable, I still feel like a somewhat thorough playthrough where I at least try all the spells my character can cast is looking at another 80-100 hours, so I'm not elding that ring much these days

while I can't imagine what else could possibly compete with elden ring for GOTY, much more so than the souls games or bloodborne, a lot of the appeal came from exploration and discoveries that you can only have once instead of gameplay that I want to repeat.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MTN5d11qpI

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Thank Miyazaki-san for player trades. I wouldn't have spent almost 400 hours replaying and starting over if I had to spend 40 real world minutes getting to this cave in Caelid or whatever.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Every playthrough has felt progressively better for mine. I was (for none game related reasons) really anxious when it first dropped, so that took the shine off. I abandoned that character and felt I had a better experience with a little knowledge rather than just assuming all my Soulsborne knowledge would carry me. I'm on a 4th playthrough and I'm still finding new stuff and feel I'm on its wavelength more. I can't imagine a 5th playthrough soon, but I'll keep the game around.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I've been playing a second character off and on but haven't felt much drive to complete more full playthroughs like I did with bloodborne and the souls games. it mainly just comes down to the enormous length of the game as it took me 200 hours to complete the first time since I tried to clear the whole world, and I think that's longer than I have in dark souls 3 where I completed 3 entire playthroughs. even on a replay using a map to see what dungeons/sections of the world are definitely skippable, I still feel like a somewhat thorough playthrough where I at least try all the spells my character can cast is looking at another 80-100 hours, so I'm not elding that ring much these days

while I can't imagine what else could possibly compete with elden ring for GOTY, much more so than the souls games or bloodborne, a lot of the appeal came from exploration and discoveries that you can only have once instead of gameplay that I want to repeat.

I mean, look at the hours you're putting up, though. It's entirely reasonable that you're not actually completing multiple full playthroughs when your first run through was the equivalent of like 4 playthroughs of DS1, except the entire time you've got that fresh exploration and discovery. It makes SENSE that you're not compelled to do another 100 hours in replays because you've already gotten your fill.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Most of the content in the game is repetitive and fairly meaningless for most builds so it's safe to skip most of it. I prefer the games where it's fun to actually do the content though

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the fun of replays for me is mostly figuring out how to get to the things i want for my build and get inducted into volcano manor quickly, then progress organically but with a lot of co-op and pvp sprinkled in and while ignoring things i don't want to do on that character

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I just like hitting things with my big hammer

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSbuGGnntRA

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Honestly, I'm not even too fussed about the Godskin cultists' potion-punishing fireballs. The evade window after chugging one down is pretty generous, you just need to remember to do it. It's not nearly as brutal as the Crucible Knights' unavoidable nail-you-from-halfway-across-the-arena lunges if you dare to take a sip in their vicinity.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
It mostly has to do with distance in my experience. If you get to a certain distance to chug and have already queued your dodge before the animation finishes, you'll deke the fireball every time. If you're too close when you take a lil sippy, you'll eat a faceful of blackflame every time.

It's not that far, but it is noticeably further away than you need to be in order to remain relatively safe from the quick melee attacks, which is what tends to trip people up I think.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

Honestly, I'm not even too fussed about the Godskin cultists' potion-punishing fireballs. The evade window after chugging one down is pretty generous, you just need to remember to do it. It's not nearly as brutal as the Crucible Knights' unavoidable nail-you-from-halfway-across-the-arena lunges if you dare to take a sip in their vicinity.

Honestly the potion window for Crucible Knights is pretty generous too once you get their patterns down. I'll admit doing so took me several playthroughs, though. But once I did, I was like Neo slowing poo poo down in the Matrix

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Crucible Knights can be parry baited with a heal (use buckler parry at least) like Gwynn.

I tested the queueing a heal during a dodge roll and it actually works not making the AI punish it.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Whose idea was it to make me do a madness playthrough?

Vykes spear moves slower than a colossal weapon, and no boss can be maddened.

Kinda sucks.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

lite_sleepr posted:

no boss can be maddened.

Gideon :colbert:

And it's awesome to one shot him with it.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

lite_sleepr posted:

Whose idea was it to make me do a madness playthrough?

Vykes spear moves slower than a colossal weapon, and no boss can be maddened.

Kinda sucks.

Bosses can't be afflicted with madness, but Malenia can be wrecked with the Cyclops optic blast and Gideon can be one-shotted by the face grab eyeball melt.

Also, the fingerprint shield with shield charge is the most ludicrous melee weapon in the game.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Challenging enemies to a lethal staring contest is great. Focused Blast is kind of like Loretta's Greatbow (a slow, powerful sniper incantation), but has the added benefit that it's too fast-travelling for most enemies to dodge.

In general, Frenzied Flame incantations are excellent for taking on NPCs since they're so difficult to dodge (and they inflict a powerful status effect), but are also a powerful and cost-effective source of fire damage against anything else that looks flammable.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

In general, Frenzied Flame incantations are excellent for taking on NPCs since they're so difficult to dodge (and they inflict a powerful status effect), but are also a powerful and cost-effective source of fire damage against anything else that looks flammable.

I found this out fairly explosively in a mining tunnel!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Both the multi-hit eye blasts are really strong against groups or big enemies, they hit with poo poo tons of projectiles and stagger. I went into a frenzy guy expecting to use the surgical eye beam and instead ended up using the eye shotgun on most stuff. You can get it really early too.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Incidentally, is Deathblight ever particularly viable against NPCs, or is it purely for intimidating and zoning players?

To be clear, I know it only works against Tarnished foes, but that's still quite a broad category.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

Incidentally, is Deathblight ever particularly viable against NPCs, or is it purely for intimidating and zoning players?

To be clear, I know it only works against Tarnished foes, but that's still quite a broad category.

I don't think it works on any npcs, even tarnished ones, but I could be wrong. Pretty sure Deathblight is player only

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Challenging enemies to a lethal staring contest is great. Focused Blast is kind of like Loretta's Greatbow (a slow, powerful sniper incantation), but has the added benefit that it's too fast-travelling for most enemies to dodge.

Yeah the Cyclops eye beams are pretty broken and trivialize almost every pve non-boss encounter just because the range is so hosed on it that the AI can't even activate half the time and it also does enough damage to 1 or 2 shot everything outside omen health tier enemies. That and rotten breath and pre nerf swarm of flies was enough to mulch pretty much anything

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Ginette Reno posted:

I don't think it works on any npcs, even tarnished ones, but I could be wrong. Pretty sure Deathblight is player only

Deathblight definitely works on Tarnished invaders, I saw the Dung Eater get deathblighted by the death crabs outside of Leyndell in an LP.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Deathblight should still proc like bleed/frostbite on enemies imo. Rancor spells should do frostbite too.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

it's understandable they don't want to make deathblight too good or literally everyone would troll with it in invasions but its sad the only way to build it reliably is with a kinda meh weapon. i wanna contribute to sustainable growth initiatives!

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I got post mogh the omen and we on my way to the underground merchant dumping ground, but it was blocked by Morgotts seal :shepicide:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lite_sleepr posted:

I got post mogh the omen and we on my way to the underground merchant dumping ground, but it was blocked by Morgotts seal :shepicide:

Lol, this happened to me on my last play through, also blocked from going through another in the capital but it was bugged or something because the barrier was invisible

At least you have the grace there now for when you can attempt it

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Tarezax posted:

Deathblight definitely works on Tarnished invaders, I saw the Dung Eater get deathblighted by the death crabs outside of Leyndell in an LP.

This happened to Dung Eater in my game before I could really even fight him.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Guard-countering Margit on Ng+ was pretty funny so I'm convinced this runs gonna be entertaining. Ordoviss sword is fine for sword and board. WA, like all the crucible knight stuff, is pretty slow but has uses. Was very successful in getting the alarm knight to alert the encampment and flaming frog croaking almost the entire group.

Crucible Knight Dave rp-walks on!

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

lite_sleepr posted:

huh. did not know that could happen

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
At least Morgott is doing something to keep the Lands Between going. I don't know that keeping the flame of madness hidden beneath the capital is particularly kingly, but it is better than prowling around in some bullshit broken-down castle talking poo poo to any Tarnished around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
MORGOTT’S ROOM
KEEP OUT