Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Kinda problematic to not visit your son out of spite after he gets his head cut off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Why does the thread title call our goth sadboy problematic? semi-serious question, wondering what I'm missing.

Lots of fridging and raping going on in the original comic, along with some attitudes about transsexuals that seemed on the enlightened side then, but are iffy now.

The show did a great job to correct or circumnavigate those bits, so far.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Indie Rocktopus posted:

I am perpetually amused that all of my Lucifer trade paperbacks say "Based on the characters created by Gaiman, Kieth and Dringenberg."

Ah, yes, one of the most beloved original characters to emerge from the mind of master storyteller Neil Gaiman: Satan, the actual devil.

I would have had zero problems if they added this into the Oldest Game sequence. "I am a Giant gently caress-Off Mechanical Spider: CGI-appearing, budget-inflating. Checkmate, bitch."

giant mechanical spider instead of matthew to fill in the "hi I'm your new best friend so that your internal monologue can be spoken without you looking like a crazy person" role

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Indie Rocktopus posted:

I am perpetually amused that all of my Lucifer trade paperbacks say "Based on the characters created by Gaiman, Kieth and Dringenberg."

Ah, yes, one of the most beloved original characters to emerge from the mind of master storyteller Neil Gaiman: Satan, the actual devil.

Well, the Devil is a character in many forms. Dante's Satan isn't Milton's, and neither of them is how Gaiman portrays the character either (although he references both).

Leaving that aside, however, Carey's Lucifer is set in the same universe as The Sandman and quite a few characters from Sandman show up in it.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Steve Yun posted:

Gaiman dunking on people has turned into its own show free of charge

Edit: can’t find any news on Delirium casting?

Part of the dunk.

Delirium hasn't been casted, so he can say "we picked her just to piss you off" while the others, who are real people who have been casted, were picked on talent

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

lol

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Huh just found out about this. DC let Gaiman put out an 8 page PSA pamphlet with Death and John Constantine talking about AIDS. Apparently AIDS had gotten so bad that it was the #1 cause of death of 25-44 year olds in 1994 (19% of American deaths in this age group!)

Good guy Gaiman.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Steve Yun posted:

Gaiman dunking on people has turned into its own show free of charge

Edit: can’t find any news on Delirium casting?

Because they haven't done any casting on the remaining Endless yet. I assume that person is confusing Rose Walker for Delirium since they both have colorful hair.

Why does the thread title call our goth sadboy problematic? semi-serious question, wondering what I'm missing.

He locks up his exlover in hell for 10000 years because she (smartly) knew it wouldn't work out.

Sure he grows and changes, but he's got some lovely stuff.

(This is not a knock at the comics, it's a knock at the character himself. I couldn't think of a different title when I wrote the OP)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I am extremely excited to see what they end up doing for Delirium casting though, she and Desire are my favorite characters and they hit it out the park with the later.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

"Your kid belong to me now. I will collect him at a later date."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Alhazred posted:

45000 years later
Morpheus: I have come now to collect that which I laid claim to, to rest with me in the Dreaming and learn of the myriad.... oh.... oh right, they get like 100 years tops. Right. :doh:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Alhazred posted:

its funny how notable tv dream being a bit less of rear end in a top hat feels in comparison to comics dream, even though he still does this and the nada stuff lmao

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

I am extremely excited to see what they end up doing for Delirium casting though, she and Desire are my favorite characters and they hit it out the park with the later.

Have they cast Delirium yet? The first time she appears embodied in "Three Septembers and a January," she's taken the guise of a young Chinese woman. If they aren't going to do many Endless shape shifts (like the split second of African Morpheus in Hell), they'll probably stick with whatever actress they use for that story.

Snooze Cruise posted:

its funny how notable tv dream being a bit less of rear end in a top hat feels in comparison to comics dream, even though he still does this and the nada stuff lmao

I think it's all in tone of voice. I definitely imagined Morpheus with a much more intimidating vocal presence, what with the black tentacled speech bubbles and all.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Nope, season 2 has to be greenlit first

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

But if/when they do get Season 2 and Season of Mists Delirium will be featured right at the beginning in the family gathering. Personally I think they're gonna open with Tales in the sand and then go right into Destiny's garden from there, since it's basically Nada's story all over.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dave Syndrome posted:

Lots of fridging and raping going on in the original comic, along with some attitudes about transsexuals that seemed on the enlightened side then, but are iffy now.

The show did a great job to correct or circumnavigate those bits, so far.
I'm never to keen on saying that something like this has been corrected. It's hubris to assume we've found the One True Way to approach social issues here in 2022 that everything needs to be aligned on. They will have thought the same in the early 90s, and the 60s, and many times before, and we're gonna see a lot of the things we hold to be good and true and correct now "corrected" to something else down the line.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the stuff people consider iffy that has been changed wasn't like, magically not considered iffy by everyone when the comic was coming out. like you can read the sandman companion or old blogs and see like the conversations we have about game of you are pretty much the same ones today.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Aug 25, 2022

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
That Rolling Stone interview is well worth a read. A couple of things I enjoyed from it. First one is just funny to me:

quote:

I said this to [CEO] Ted Sarandos at Netflix. He came over and he said, “Well, we’re all very excited about Sandman.” I said, “Me, too.” I said, “I’ve got to say I’m so proud of what we made. I don’t really care if anybody watches this or not. I’m just really proud of it.” He’s like [pauses], “Yeah, we want people to watch it.” I’m like, “Oh, yeah. Yeah.” Possibly the wrong person to say that to.

And then there's this part where he speaks about how Sandman relates to the DC universe:

quote:

With Sandman, the TV show, people are like, “Why have you unplugged so much from DC comics continuity?” And I’m like, “Because no human being watching this should actually be obligated to understand 1989 DC Comics continuity in order to make sense of this.

The guy just gets it.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm never to keen on saying that something like this has been corrected. It's hubris to assume we've found the One True Way to approach social issues here in 2022 that everything needs to be aligned on. They will have thought the same in the early 90s, and the 60s, and many times before, and we're gonna see a lot of the things we hold to be good and true and correct now "corrected" to something else down the line.

Sorry about the phrasing, I was typing this while half asleep. But you're right, "corrected" was the wrong choice of words.

Bony-Eared Assfish
Oct 4, 2018

Snooze Cruise posted:

Delirium is such an awesome character, hard to think of a good casting for her. Show's been pretty great with casting so far so I'm optimistic.

Ps. Marcus Hopson as the Prodigal. Think about it.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Part of me is really set on Kristofer Hivju but this is giving me pause...

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
amy schumer

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

She's probably not quite right for live action, but I did really enjoy Kristen Schaal as Del in the audio drama, even if it was a bit on the nose.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

jarlywarly posted:

When Rose and Lyta arrive at the BnB and meet the characters there I thought that was a dream.

Similarly, a lot of the story with Unity felt like it was running off dream-logic, so I was a little startled later on that we were meant to accept it all and that Unity was a real person.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Finished it last night, one of the best shows I've ever seen. I own several of the Sandman compilations though technically they're my wife's and I've never actually read them. So I went in pretty blind.

I thought it was fantastic that I recognized Mark Hamill by going "Hey that sounds like Skips!" And I think Tom Sturridge is the best possible person they could have gotten for Dream. That man can brood.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I'm going to level with you guys: giant mechanical spiders are cool, and I think more things should include them.

Maybe not Sandman adaptations. I mean, we could have a one-off episode about some writer struggling to adapt something. Sturridge could make fun of it in-character.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I'm going to level with you guys: giant mechanical spiders are cool, and I think more things should include them.

Maybe not Sandman adaptations. I mean, we could have a one-off episode about some writer struggling to adapt something. Sturridge could make fun of it in-character.

We don't even have to suggest that someone, somewhere is dreaming of giant mechanical spiders. We know at least one person is.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Three Septembers and a January, except Dream grants a struggling producer the dream of making movies with giant mechanical spiders

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

drat, they could have had Ric blurt it out near the end of Calliope with his stream of ideas. "A werewolf goldfish... A giant mechanical spider...!"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

the holy poopacy posted:

Three Septembers and a January, except Dream grants a struggling producer the dream of making movies with giant mechanical spiders

Sometimes you fall. Sometimes . . .you fly.

and sometimes . . .you are caught in the WEB

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Turns out Delirium put the spider idea in the guy's mind in the first place

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

“He was thinking too much so I scooped it all out and replaced it with sPiDeR.”

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

Also, when his son Orpheus is cursed with unwanted immortality after failing to rescue his beloved Eurydice from Hades, Dream tells him “that’s exactly what I warned you was going to happen, dumbass,” and abandons Orpheus to rot for centuries as a disembodied head

Also, in the aftermath of his captivity, as Dream finally realizes the magnitude of his transgressions against Nada, Orpheus and others, he decides to atone by settling his debts and then by killing himself in the most Byronic, operatic, classically tragic manner imaginable. Which, in retrospect, is a really irresponsible way to frame suicide for an audience of alienated goth teenagers maybe like I was.

(I think Sandman’s treatment of self-harm and suicide is just as misjudged-at-best, actively-malignant-at-worst as its mistreatment of LGBTQ characters. Like that loving “Facade” issue, which reads like a hosed-up inversion of the “you’re stronger than you know” page from All-Star Superman.)

( I may try to post some thoughts on the depiction of self-harm in Sandman, if people say they don’t object to discussion of that content in this thread. If this isn’t the place for that, I get it, no worries.)

EDIT:

Sometimes you fall. Sometimes . . .you fly.

and sometimes . . .you are caught in the WEB

everyone in the theater stood up and cheered when morpheus said "its morpheusin' time" and morpheused all over that giant mechanical spider
(I'm so sorry)
(I am actually not sorry at all)

Indie Rocktopus fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 25, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Indie Rocktopus posted:

(I think Sandman’s treatment of self-harm and suicide is just as misjudged-at-best, actively-malignant-at-worst as its mistreatment of LGBTQ characters. Like that loving “Facade” issue, which reads like a hosed-up inversion of the “you’re stronger than you know” page from All-Star Superman.)

( I may try to post some thoughts on the depiction of self-harm in Sandman, if people say they don’t object to discussion of that content in this thread. If this isn’t the place for that, I get it, no worries.)

i would personally be interest in it but i can't speak for others

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i mention the sandman companion twice now so i feel like its time to share my favorite bit in it

i love how it is much more revealing about moore than gaiman. what a monster.

other great bits from the book:
the section where they explain what goths are, in case you want to read the sandman but are really confused by goth subculture and need a primer before you jump in

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I'm not going to defend Moore at a personal level but I have no doubt he understands that aspect of himself very thoroughly.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

looking forward to five pages of people saying how good and cool desire is for finally murdering their brother who they've been trying murder for 4 billion years and how tasteful and compelling desire raping a woman to further their murder plans was a story device

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I thought Facade was a great little story and I'm pretty sad that they probably won't do it in the TV adaptation due to main heroine being a DC heroine (albeit a very obscure one)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm not going to defend Moore at a personal level but I have no doubt he understands that aspect of himself very thoroughly.

oh i know its just funny to read something that is like "and now time for a gaiman story!" and its the most alan moore story ever lmao

The Voice of Labor posted:

looking forward to five pages of people saying how good and cool desire is for finally murdering their brother who they've been trying murder for 4 billion years and how tasteful and compelling desire raping a woman to further their murder plans was a story device

why are you like this