Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

punishedkissinger posted:

wet palettes cost like $15 why are people DIYing them?

Same reason I buy cheap car primer instead of cans of citadel chaos black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Was she the first one you did?

She was the last one I did, but I didn't do them all in one sitting, so there is a good chance that the bottle wasn't shaken up.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

because the $2 diy ones work just as well as the $15 ones so there's no point in spending more money than necessary

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP6r_hPECh0

Tactics game where all the units are minis that wobble around when you move them and also you paint them in game.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Wrr posted:

Tactics game where all the units are minis that wobble around when you move them and also you paint them in game.

I want this, if I don't buy this by TGSS, I officially request this (if it's within TGSS amounts, and not against TGSS rules of course)

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Wrr posted:

Kinda weird there no animation of the units themselves beyond movement and attack effect, but I guess between what looks like a pretty in-depth painter and what sounded like Matt Mercer probably eating a chunk of the budget, it makes sense.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Wrr posted:

This looks like it could have a lot of potential. However much I like physically rolling dice and moving minis, actually getting things to the table is a big barrier for a lot of people

Let alone having a computer do all the math which sucks poo poo sometimes. If slay the spire can do something cool with a card game Id expect the same here for skirmish wargaming

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Because I can DIY it right now and it would take a week or more to ship one to me.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Silhouette posted:

because the $2 diy ones work just as well as the $15 ones so there's no point in spending more money than necessary

the redgrass palette and paper is objectively far better than my previous parchment paper setup and since this is a hobby im not going to pinch pennies and use worse tools than i need to

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
both options are fine

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Amazing work! Just out of curiosity how long would you say each mini took with all the the nmm? Trying to work out a small army scheme and not sure how much time ill have to commit

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

It's really hard to say, but I'd say it was between two and three hours for the breastplates, weapons and helmets, and around two for the shields and other bronze stuff. The oil washes for the verdigris and rust were like, five minutes for the squad.

I think that if you get a workflow going where all the minis have similar shapes, NMM is probably only slightly slower than doing "proper" TMM. I just do it because I like doing NMM, and the more practice, the better.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
Thats not a massive time investment for 5 dudes, i can see why doing them in a batch would be even better for working out highlight placements, ive been taking reference photos of old paintings to help with my own study before i dive into it, feels like a good guide

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Paragon8 posted:

Citadel Shades is probably what you're looking for! an acrylic wash that flows to the recesses of what you're painting. Nuln oil is the one that's black but there's 26 or so colors now.

jesus WEP posted:

vallejo do a set of game inks and they’re good

Cheers, I went with the Vallejo inks in the end.

I've got an old metal unpainted Snotling Pump Wagon that I'd like to take apart and have a crack at. What's the best way of doing that without damaging it? I assume it was superglued together, but honestly can't remember.

http://solegends.com/citcat1991b/cat1991bp182snotlingcart-02.htm

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Toss it in the freezer.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Siivola posted:

Toss it in the freezer.

Really?!

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Freezing superglue makes it brittle and therefore easier to break apart cleanly. It's still not a sure thing but it's one of the more reliable ways to get stuff apart that was superglued together.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

You can also buy some acetone to soak or scrub it in, if that doesn't work.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
An acetone bath is real good for getting superglue out of construction holes, turns into a squishy blob and is right satisfying to pick out

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Mercurius posted:

Freezing superglue makes it brittle and therefore easier to break apart cleanly. It's still not a sure thing but it's one of the more reliable ways to get stuff apart that was superglued together.

Ta. I've bunged it in, next to the chips.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Because diying them is free basically. Deli meat container, paper towel, parchment paper. I had all of that in my cupboards, and it works fine.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I am trying to look up some guides on painting fur, and incorporate something I saw recently

Basically paint the mini much darker than you would normally but with the relevant colors to what you're going with until you eventually lighten it up to the actual color you want, and that seems like it'd have some good contrast.

Does anyone have any suggestions to do that with speedpaints or contrast paints though? i searched around and didn't find too much...

edit the model I'm looking at doesn't have great obviousness for fur layers so I'll probably have to figure out how to do it myself

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Buying things? In this economy?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Right Doggo - Vision lens red, black armor, maybe a vague police/ambulance logo on one of the plates. Pouches have medical supplies

Ended up darker than I wanted, but not sure how to lighten it. I guess I could paint over the bags and make them white with a red cross freehand

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I am trying to look up some guides on painting fur, and incorporate something I saw recently

Basically paint the mini much darker than you would normally but with the relevant colors to what you're going with until you eventually lighten it up to the actual color you want, and that seems like it'd have some good contrast.

Does anyone have any suggestions to do that with speedpaints or contrast paints though? i searched around and didn't find too much...

edit the model I'm looking at doesn't have great obviousness for fur layers so I'll probably have to figure out how to do it myself

I'm working on this myself. Contrast and speedpaints are generally so intense the effect wouldn't look right, I think, unless that was your base colour. Just working up from your original colour with increasing amounts of highlighting seems the way to go, then use a wash/thinned contrast/glaze original colour to smooth out the transition.

One small tip I got was to try to make sure you always have separation between each line. But in some ways the technique is really forgiving since you're applying so many lines any mistake is going to disappear pretty quickly.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Guerilla - Leaning darker green outfit with red hat, a little generic, maybe. Either give the outfit (minus boots and gloves) one overall camouflage, or give the pouches a 2nd camo pattern.

Eyes didn't come out right but oh well, first time doing anything camo related.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Do the opposite. Start with very light, thinned contrast paints and use multiple different shades in different places, building to get dark. Or use a dark/medium one and drybrush regular light paint over it.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Hello, I have painted my first Marvel Crisis Protocol figure. A C27 Miniatures Namor figure that I instantly fell in love with and just *had* to paint. And I hate painting, I just love having painted, but could not resist this model.

I still don't have many paints, and the waves were hard, but for someone who painted a handful of models last year after a 15 year break I'm kind of happy with this.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 26, 2022

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I’m curious to hear recommendations in this thread for places to get relatively inexpensive busts/larger models. I’m itching to try my hand at a display piece where I can really practice some blending, but I’d prefer not to spend a ton of cash on my first few attempts. And before it’s suggested, I don’t really have access to a 3D printer, so I’d prefer recommendations for places just to buy the models rather than .stls. But any other thoughts are welcome, and thanks in advance!

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Etsy. There’s a whole industry on there of people with 3D printers who will print all the things at any scale you want.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Parkingtigers posted:

Etsy. There’s a whole industry on there of people with 3D printers who will print all the things at any scale you want.

I definitely should’ve thought to check there. Any specific creators people like?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Just avoid the ones who make "anime" ...stuff.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
or don't and practice painting skin and spherical shapes

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

if you can properly shade and highlight massive elf tits, you can paint anything

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Finished some more MCP stuff recently. Game continues to own.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Spanish Manlove posted:

or don't and practice painting skin and spherical shapes

Well, they did say they wanted to paint larger busts...

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

xpost

Nazzadan posted:

Chaingunners done ready to mow down my coworkers dudes, now they need their Aspiring Champ and it's on to a box of Chosen

Someone suggested I use a purple wash instead of a darker wash like nuln and I like how the purple came out much more. Right now I'm just watering down a purple contrast I have so I might go grab some actual purple wash that's a lighter tone and test that on the next model.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I think I'm going to commit myself to a big project.

I'm going to create the Iron Warriors War Elephant.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Finally! I was able to complete these admech from the magazine, only took them sending me issue 21 and 22 before it had the sprue I needed.

Incidentally, I also got issues 24-27 this month too :negative:

Honestly I don't know that I can keep up even at one of these a month lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Here's some WIP of various things I've been working on. All 3D printed, all done mostly with Contrast paints/Speedpaints.

Some cowboys (and a cowgirl) from the 3DBreed "Join or Die - WANTED" Kickstarter that ended recently.

A "Death Division" trooper from RedMakers, it's pretty obvious what they're meant to be a proxy for. These have bionic legs though :v:

A "Burna Boy" from Blue Sky Minis. I broke down and got the new Mantis Warriors Green Contrast paint, because after seeing a couple of videos on YouTube, I was convinced that this would give me the skintone I wanted for my Orks, with very little effort on my part, and it absolutely does.

Obviously there's some mistakes to be corrected, missed spots to be fixed, and basing to be done, but thus far I'm happy with how well (and quickly) these have turned out.