Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

itry posted:

Yeah, that's definitely better. Also liked the mat clause they added in. The train yard was a better place for it though.

Train yard was an excellent place for it. Lots of good hiding spots. They should've done more tasks there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The TMNZ task writers are evil

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The TMNZ task writers are evil

I will never get over the last task from the first season, "Make the best desert".

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Really enjoying this season so far. I really hope Jeremy scored that super hero task like that on purpose, to make it all pointless. I love that sort of thing
I thought it was weird how he kind of had to go out of his way to say that allergies aren't a big deal:thunk:. then 6 points for everyone lol

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Paul makes a small appearance in the new episode of NZ Today

https://youtu.be/BaDDQ54UftA

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
New NZ episode aired, probably the best one so far. The 'spot the difference' and 'enchanted forest' tasks were really good.

For the first task, it was pretty weird overall but I kind of liked that there was no twist. What did make me wonder was the whole card machine thing though. As a European while cards are still very popular at stores, basically everyone here use phone apps to transfer money in these kinds of situations. At first I thought she didn't think of it cause she's on the older side, but even my 70 year old mom and all her friends do this on the regular. Is it just not a thing in NZ?

E: I should say, this is not representative for all of Europe, I'm pretty sure Germans still believe card machines are the work of the devil and would burn you at the stake if you brought up apps for this purpose.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I kind of expected the money task to have another part where the contestants purchase something within the limit of how much they had given and learn an important lesson about generosity. Some of the tasks this series are unexpectedly straightforward.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I'm about halfway through TMNZ season series 1, and Guy Williams is doing his best to ruin it for me.

I understand that "loud, blustery rear end in a top hat" is his comedy gimmick. It was old after five minutes, and my wife -- a huge fan of all of the UK casts -- doesn't want to continue watching because of him. Maybe Kiwis find him funnier because they presumably don't have to deal with people who are earnestly like that on a daily basis?

All three of the women on this cast are awesome in their own ways, and while Leigh Hart's style of comedy isn't my favorite, he's a good foil for the other contestants.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I found him a bit overbearing at first, but the Libya song and the math quiz brought me around

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

really strong episode, i feel like paul/co are doing some of the best task ideas of anyone

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Is it credit shenanigans that Alex is still the only writer listed for TM:UK, or is still really just him coming up with all the tasks?

All other iterations appear to have a writing team, but for UK it's just Alex (with Tim Key doing task consulting.)

Or maybe it's a "producing team come up with everything and are not technically writers" type of situation?

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I think that generally in interviews Alex has said its mostly him and one other lead producer/director/editor? who come up with the task ideas. The other guy is whoever is in charge of determining how to present and shoot the task if I recall correctly, which is why he has so much input. and sometimes comes up with tasks as well.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

eke out posted:

really strong episode, i feel like paul/co are doing some of the best task ideas of anyone

Completely agreed. They’re really killing it on riding the line of creativity and simplicity.

I do wonder if the money task could have been solved differently or if there should have been a trick with the paper task.

Disappointing Pie fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 18, 2022

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Insurrectionist posted:

New NZ episode aired, probably the best one so far. The 'spot the difference' and 'enchanted forest' tasks were really good.

For the first task, it was pretty weird overall but I kind of liked that there was no twist. What did make me wonder was the whole card machine thing though. As a European while cards are still very popular at stores, basically everyone here use phone apps to transfer money in these kinds of situations. At first I thought she didn't think of it cause she's on the older side, but even my 70 year old mom and all her friends do this on the regular. Is it just not a thing in NZ?

E: I should say, this is not representative for all of Europe, I'm pretty sure Germans still believe card machines are the work of the devil and would burn you at the stake if you brought up apps for this purpose.

No, it's the same here. Paul was just covering his bases and if there's a contactless machine there all you have to do is vaguely wave your debit card at it.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I wonder if the money task was one of those occasions when a tie-break gets elevated to a full task?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

The money task may be one of the best initial reveal/reaction tasks I can recall. The actual task wasn’t that funny, but the concept is absolutely hilarious.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

The money task may be one of the best initial reveal/reaction tasks I can recall. The actual task wasn’t that funny, but the concept is absolutely hilarious.

That one's actually a repeat of a task from one of the original Edinburgh shows iirc. Although frankly they might have come up with it coincidentally, it's a good one.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Would have liked to see Al Murray do that one

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

I really thought with the handwritten stuff/lack of seal, there was some fundamental twist -- like that the taskmaster's assistant had overstepped his bounds within the fiction and you weren't supposed to give him money, or there'd be other followup nonsense along those lines

though "taskmaster chiding contestants for giving the assistant money" thing would be more greg/alex's character dynamic than jeremy/paul

eke out fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 18, 2022

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Thinking back to it, it's hilarious that Paul Ego not only was too cheap to give Paul actual money, but after etching a 2 dollar coin, he went down to 1 dollar, then down again to 20 cents, and finally to 10 cents (3.30 in total) instead of doing the biggest coin four times.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

eke out posted:

I really thought with the handwritten stuff/lack of seal, there was some fundamental twist -- like that the taskmaster's assistant had overstepped his bounds within the fiction and you weren't supposed to give him money, or there'd be other followup nonsense along those lines

though "taskmaster chiding contestants for giving the assistant money" thing would be more greg/alex's character dynamic than jeremy/paul

I wonder if that was the original plan, or something else, but because no one really figured it out they just went with it as an actual task?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I wonder if that was the original plan, or something else, but because no one really figured it out they just went with it as an actual task?

yeah I bet there was something there that got scrapped or didn't make the edit

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Jeremy's scoring continues to be bewildering, and it seems like he just really likes Josh.

NZ Tasks continue to be top tier, loved all these ones.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I really appreciate Jeremy’s scoring. Greg’s scoring comes off as his opinion (with the arrogance that his opinion is the only thing that matters,) while Jeremy’s scoring comes off as “I’m just stating a clear fact that nobody could possibly dispute.” It’s a small difference but I think both work really well.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
https://twitter.com/AlexHorne/status/1560928352239816705

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/gdavies/status/1560924056127684608

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

eke out posted:

I honestly thought it was meant to suggest to some of them to just craft their own money just like Paul did with the task or Paul did with his money. Like someone draws some $100 bills or someone writes a fake $1,000,000 check

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

I thought the door to the caravan really looked like a task envelope and if someone had investigated it they would have found the "real" task.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i think my biggest criticism of tmnz is that it relies too heavily on improv comedy style tasks (like the best friend one in the most recent ep). or maybe nz comedians default to bad skits whenever they're told to be creative, idk.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

They had another good live studio task though.

nerox
May 20, 2001

exmarx posted:

i think my biggest criticism of tmnz is that it relies too heavily on improv comedy style tasks (like the best friend one in the most recent ep). or maybe nz comedians default to bad skits whenever they're told to be creative, idk.

Jeremy's scoring is the worst part of TMNZ to me, he just tries to be to nice when he should be ruthless. For instance in the Doppelganger task, he just copped out and gave everyone 5 points. Greg would've actually scored them. Justine having a drag queen that looked just like her except all the dress colors swapped on the dresses would be an easy 5 points. Chris's obvious nothing alike could be the 4 point or the 1 point depending on if it Greg found it funny enough. Josh and Paul would be an easy middle and I think Kura would've been the weakest.

Looking at the wiki, he gave matching scores to 3 people on the prize task, 4 people on the dummy task, everyone on the doppelganger task. The only non-objective task he scored normally was the live task.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

I agree with your larger point but I genuinely haven't a clue how you think Justine's was spot on and Kura's was the weakest. . So many routes he could've gone with the scoring and he chose the lamest option by far.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
pretty sure it wasn't a 'real' task, so everyone getting the same score kinda makes sense – all the doppelgängers are minor celebrities i think

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
It was worth it for the savage burn at the end, "a collection of five Auckland personalities more desperate to be on TV than our usual five."

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I'm a big fan of White Josh, personally, even if the ultimately pointless task did break the flow of the episode a bit. Justine's elaborate dress is also up there with Mike Wozniak's mohawk as an example of great dedication to the show.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
I remember thinking that Josh in a suit looked an awful lot like Ray O'Leary, so the doppelganger task was a lot of fun

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
pro tactics in the live task

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
If TMNZ Season 2 hadn't been so amazing, Season 3 would be being raved about. Chris and Josh are legendary

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Series 3 has been an incredibly slow burn for me; up until maybe episode 5 I would have said it was my least favorite of all the English language series. But the past few episodes have just been incredible, and the reveal of THE BOX was maybe the best moment of the show to date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Sugar Boogars got fuckin' robbed. "All Right" is charming, but comon'.

The running plot thread on their 'best friend' has been great – as was that reveal by Chris dammmn.

nerox posted:

Jeremy's scoring is the worst part of TMNZ to me, he just tries to be to nice when he should be ruthless.

Agree with this, but want to add that he also has a very... conservative? attitude towards task solutions where it doesn't feel like crazy solutions are rewarded as much. Greg throws a lot of curveballs, which is great, as a particularly insane solution sometimes still comes out ahead. Jeremy just plays it really straight. Still flabbergasted David only got one point for stripping down and jumping on a table in under 20 seconds.