Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

can someone explain the presets for flask crafting in idle research to my idiot childlike brain, i do not get it and it is really killing my enjoyment

I have no idea how to set things up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Sindai posted:

Picking up NGU again and I really wish there was something I could spend magic on that didn't also cost gold, or that boosting gold income with energy/magic had a lower barrier to entry. I have to let most of my magic sit idle because I'm so limited by gold income.

You'll soon unlock Wandoos, which will soak up some of your Magic, and NGUs, which will for most of the game (aside from basically the end phases of Normal and Evil) take as much Magic as you can afford to give it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Rynoto posted:

You always want to do the spire and hell resets at 4* because of how blood stones work.

Am I doing something wrong, because 3* seems great, but 4* is a gigantic slog, at least early on.
Does it even out as the run goes on and you earn plasmids from genetics? Or do I need a zillion anti-plasmids or something?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Beasteh posted:

can someone explain the presets for flask crafting in idle research to my idiot childlike brain, i do not get it and it is really killing my enjoyment

It's just how many crafters you're assigning to each color, separated by commas

so 5,5,5 means "assign five crafters to red, five to orange, and five to yellow"

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Am I doing something wrong, because 3* seems great, but 4* is a gigantic slog, at least early on.
Does it even out as the run goes on and you earn plasmids from genetics? Or do I need a zillion anti-plasmids or something?

So blood stone gain is 1 (or 2 after the upgrade) per challenge tier ie. 4* gives 10 blood stones per floor. 3* at 8 is still okay but mech damage isn't affected and you should have no problems keeping the bays full and 4* runs with your custom shouldn't take you that long to make it to spire. The spire portion takes up the vast majority of the run and a full 100 floors means missing out on a whole load of stones if you don't 4*.

Plasmids give a decent chunk of bonus production (~30-35%) but beyond the blood stone thing the only reason to do 4* is mastery gain or to see pretty gold stars on the feat page. Faith helps but it's nowhere near a 3* plasmids which just leaves having a huge mastery pile. Antiplasmids drop off pretty fast and you'll get ~50% bonus before it becomes just not worth farming more.

Theocracy and priests boosting ziggurats is a good bonus production for ultra-late saves as well.

Here have a status update on the Orbital Decay challenge so it's not just my rambling.

So close to tech salvagers :shepicide:

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 20, 2022

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Rynoto posted:

So blood stone gain is 1 (or 2 after the upgrade) per challenge tier ie. 4* gives 10 blood stones per floor. 3* at 8 is still okay but mech damage isn't affected and you should have no problems keeping the bays full and 4* runs with your custom shouldn't take you that long to make it to spire. The spire portion takes up the vast majority of the run and a full 100 floors means missing out on a whole load of stones if you don't 4*.

Plasmids give a decent chunk of bonus production (~30-35%) but beyond the blood stone thing the only reason to do 4* is mastery gain or to see pretty gold stars on the feat page. Faith helps but it's nowhere near a 3* plasmids which just leaves having a huge mastery pile. Antiplasmids drop off pretty fast and you'll get ~50% bonus before it becomes just not worth farming more.

Theocracy and priests boosting ziggurats is a good bonus production for ultra-late saves as well.

Ok, that makes sense, I've really only been getting up to about floor 10-15. Maybe I should be sticking around much longer, but the cost creep starts to become an issue for buying new tower buildings.
Is there a number of Harmony crystals where it starts to become more viable? I've got about 40, so if that's good, I'm probably just doing something wrong and need to experiment a little more.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Is there a number of Harmony crystals where it starts to become more viable? I've got about 40, so if that's good, I'm probably just doing something wrong and need to experiment a little more.

Harmony Crystals are always viable? Their effect per crystal drops off pretty hard after ~100 but CCR is always incredibly strong to stack.

As long as you've done a 4* ascension at least once in the current universe you get the full effect.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Rynoto posted:

Harmony Crystals are always viable? Their effect per crystal drops off pretty hard after ~100 but CCR is always incredibly strong to stack.

As long as you've done a 4* ascension at least once in the current universe you get the full effect.

I bet that's the issue. I don't have a 4* ascension, so I'm probably getting a weak version of the cost creep reduction.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Beasteh posted:

In addition, the "Preset on [Color] Flask" means that if that preset is active, it'll automatically be applied when that color is your highest preset level. The best use for it is for automating the steps right after you prestige since they'll automatically kick off and generate your research prerequisite flasks. I also think the preset is auto-applied whenever you buy new crafting slots -- at one point I was wondering why my flasks kept getting reset and shuffled around. That's how I understand it anyway!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Pope Guilty posted:

You'll soon unlock Wandoos, which will soak up some of your Magic, and NGUs, which will for most of the game (aside from basically the end phases of Normal and Evil) take as much Magic as you can afford to give it.
Wandoos did happen to drop but it turned out the main thing I was missing was the 200% gold boost on the ascended forest pendent. :20bux:

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

In Evolve Idle, at what stage to I go on to the next tier of resets? I've done a total of 27 resets, 3 Bioseed including a 3 star.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Maigius posted:

In Evolve Idle, at what stage to I go on to the next tier of resets? I've done a total of 27 resets, 3 Bioseed including a 3 star.

It's been a long time, but I feel like it might be worth trying to do a black hole reset because it lets you go to the heavy universe which is only slightly more difficult but with better rewards for bioseed.
Once there, you'll probably want to re-earn some of the achievements for Heavy, build up some phage, buy at least one level in every mutation, and consider some of the challenges.

Don't be afraid to check out the other universes too. Antimatter can be a little annoying at first, but you probably aren't going to regret having a 20-30% boost for the rest of the game with a modest stockpile of anti-plasmids.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
On Research Idle: I hadn't automated (or invested anything in) Golden Flasks Accerelator.

:dumbbravo:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Banemaster posted:

On Research Idle: I hadn't automated (or invested anything in) Golden Flasks Accerelator.

:dumbbravo:

Once you get to tubes, remember to actually turn on the auto-allocator or it won't auto-allocate poo poo and you'll just hit a brick wall

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
NGU: when's a good time to do the basic challenge? I kind of accidentally unlocked it super early when I loaded a save from over a year ago.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Sindai posted:

NGU: when's a good time to do the basic challenge? I kind of accidentally unlocked it super early when I loaded a save from over a year ago.

That’s a good one to do pretty soon after unlocking it because the rewards are useful right away. This is really the only challenge that’s useful to do early and maybe one or two of the second challenge. You’ll start to know if your stats are good enough to do things based on how your early rebirth goes.

It’s also very helpful to remember that you can drop down a save and just reload it if the challenge is proving to be too much of a pain. This way the worst that happens is some offline time.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Sindai posted:

As soon as you can tolerate it, but as soon as you've got a full set of gear from the first titan is probably the earliest that it won't feel like it's slowing you down

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
iirc magic is basically terrible when you first get it and as you unlock other things and gear up it slowly grows in importance

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

something posted:

Hate to say, what i reallly do is just google the name of my problem +unity. I also struggle seperating issues on 3d vs 2d, i just.. muddle through it, really.

How i specifically do menus is i have a global canvas, then a subcanvas as the parent of each menu. Then it has a child which is the overall menu and i go from there. Then, I have a menu swapper controller that puts the right menu at 0,0 (front and center in screen) and shoves all the rest to (5000,5000) or some arbitrarily far distance.

The subcanvas thing in theory saves on rendering costs, or something like that. I read somewhere that when any object in the scene changes visually, it marks the whole canvas its on as "dirty", so splitting each menu into its own subcanvas saves all other menus from unnecessarily being marked.

You can also give each canvas an int id and run update code only if its the visible menu to save further processing.

IT BEGINS:

One thing I tried, on a friend's recommendation, was to use JetBrains Rider as my IDE. It seems really well suited for Unity. I try to take a college course every few semesters or so to stay eligible for educational discounts. At the price of free, JetBrains has an excellent suite.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

IT BEGINS:

One thing I tried, on a friend's recommendation, was to use JetBrains Rider as my IDE. It seems really well suited for Unity. I try to take a college course every few semesters or so to stay eligible for educational discounts. At the price of free, JetBrains has an excellent suite.

The "how many things in this project use this script" is worth the price of admission on it's own

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Feline Mind Meld posted:

iirc magic is basically terrible when you first get it and as you unlock other things and gear up it slowly grows in importance

this is every mechanic in NGU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I guess while I'm offering dev suggestions, if you use Git, and you probably should be using Git: try out GitKraken. It's a GUI for Git that makes things a lot easier and overall streamlines a lot of stuff.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Zokari posted:

this is every mechanic in NGU
If there were two things I could change about NGU, this would be the second one. Unlocking a new feature is almost always a disappointment.

The first would be making adventuring work offline and be more idle-friendly in general without unlocking 10 QoL upgrades.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Are there any goons still playing Tap Titans 2? Have there been any significant changes in TT2 in the last few years that would warrant checking it out again? I kinda got a hankerin' for some cooperative clicking with goons but the last time I played this was 5 years ago :corsair:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I guess while I'm offering dev suggestions, if you use Git, and you probably should be using Git: try out GitKraken. It's a GUI for Git that makes things a lot easier and overall streamlines a lot of stuff.

Isn't that a subscription only thing? If I'm going to pay monthly for my tools I'd rather it be Jetbrain's IDE

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Hughlander posted:

Isn't that a subscription only thing? If I'm going to pay monthly for my tools I'd rather it be Jetbrain's IDE

I think the free tier covers most of the good features.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
I restarted Synergism a few days ago, off of an old save I found. It seems to have a lot of updates and I like it.

More important to me (and perhaps uninteresting to you) is that I'm realizing that Synergism and NGU Idle are 100% the games that I judge all other idle/incremental games by, and no other game has really matched their charm.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think the free tier covers most of the good features.

Ah right I use a selfhosted gitlab so had to be on the $4.95 plan that’s why I didn’t look at it too much

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Cobalt60 posted:

I restarted Synergism a few days ago, off of an old save I found. It seems to have a lot of updates and I like it.

More important to me (and perhaps uninteresting to you) is that I'm realizing that Synergism and NGU Idle are 100% the games that I judge all other idle/incremental games by, and no other game has really matched their charm.

It does have a ton of new content, but it's pretty awful and alternates between requiring a ton of hand-holding and requiring waiting for multiple days with no interaction.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Sindai posted:

If there were two things I could change about NGU, this would be the second one. Unlocking a new feature is almost always a disappointment.

The first would be making adventuring work offline and be more idle-friendly in general without unlocking 10 QoL upgrades.

Taking notes

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I've been playing Evolve for a few days, done a few 1 and 2 stars MAD ascension, and decided to go for my first 4-star. Things have been painful, with a lot of fiddling with jobs. I have managed to kill my population twice, and the desert planet doesn't help.

Is there a recommended way to progress regarding ascensions, challenges, etc...?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i'd suggest doing 3-star ones to build up mastery and plasmids, tbh, but that's not like The Way To Do It

you want the "bioseed loads of genuses" achievement quite quickly, it gives you bonus planets to pick from when seeding which will help you get other achievements

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

I've been playing Evolve for a few days, done a few 1 and 2 stars MAD ascension, and decided to go for my first 4-star. Things have been painful, with a lot of fiddling with jobs. I have managed to kill my population twice, and the desert planet doesn't help.

Is there a recommended way to progress regarding ascensions, challenges, etc...?

4*s are a whole different beast than 3* and under so sticking with 3s (or 0s) is better at first.

For new-player-paths I'd personally recommend one of two. For both though you'd want to build up at least to base soft-cap plasmids (250) then start doing bioseeds. The currency from this second tier boosts the plasmid softcap which you'll always want to stay above but now you can start spending extra points on crispr upgrades. Stay on Bioseeds for a while to get your softcap up to 400-500 then go for the third tier, Blackhole, and leave the universe.

Now from here it splits into either the longer setup path of going to Antimatter universe and doing 4* runs for ~3k antiplasmids - this will take a decent chunk of time but will leave you with a permanent ~30% production boost for the rest of the game and antimatter gets worse to do the further you get in as its 4* lowers mastery which you won't have much of early. You then blackhole to Heavy universe and start progressing on your own. This is a good path for grinding out early 4* perk achievements for things like MADing 25 races, bioseeding genuses, planets, etc.

The alternate is the more direct path where you leave directly to Heavy and build up 3* runs before swapping to 4* mastery grinding. You'll miss out on the early AM production but also won't sit in a boring universe for a while.

Both will get you started for 4* mastery farming later. Challenges can be started, imo, once you're in heavy and Ascensions are one of the endgame resets.

This is all really designed for someone who knows they want to go all-in on 4* gold mastery farming. You can play the game doing 3*s and be just fine with less mastery but always having the plasmid bonus.

So much orichalcum needed to end this challenge

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Aug 24, 2022

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

explosivo posted:

Are there any goons still playing Tap Titans 2? Have there been any significant changes in TT2 in the last few years that would warrant checking it out again? I kinda got a hankerin' for some cooperative clicking with goons but the last time I played this was 5 years ago :corsair:

There's still a thread for the clan here but no one has posted in it for nearly a year. On my way out I gave GM to someone who may or may not have been a Goon so who knows if it even still exists?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3801833

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Idle Research

Are potions in the tube section not auto crafted when the game is not active?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh hey the WAMI dev's new game Farmers Against Potato Idle (?) (lol FAPI) just came out in EA on Steam

Edit: I like the clicking-to-charge mechanic a la Idle Apocalypse as opposed to clicks themselves dealing damage.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 25, 2022

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

It should be out on Android today too, their approval process is just significantly worse.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Arzaac posted:

It should be out on Android today too, their approval process is just significantly worse.

Oh cool, good to know!

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

DerekSmartymans posted:

:lol: that’s great!

You say that, but Guild Wars 2 just launched on Steam recently and someone gave it a "Do Not Recommend" review that started with:

quote:

I have almost 20k hours between Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 combined and the best advice I can give you after 17 years with this franchise is: do not give a single dime to this developer.
Play for free. They don't deserve your money in microtransactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
NGU: It's so painful to go from an energy set to a magic set. Stupid clock set is going to cost me 2/3rds of my energy power :smith: