Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

In hindsight, I'm now wondering why I never got the PC version of FFVII. I bought the PS1 emulator Bleem! And played it through that. Must have been cheaper.

and at the time of the PC port's release, it would have had better music emulated as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Those 2 were also the first games I remember modding (7 for IIRC nicer battle models and 8 for better quality music)

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

I think the reason for the faces was because the PC port was based off an earlier build of FF7 than what was used for the initial PS1 release, and the Eidos team had to work to get it up to par with the final release. Somewhere I saw it conjectured that maybe Square had intended there to be mouth animation to go along with the dialog, but it never materialized.

What I can't figure out is why it was left in, either with the original release, or the Steam version. The PS4 release fixes the mouths, and that version is based on the PC port.

The field character models in the PSX version all have a mouth texture. The textures just aren't mapped properly. I like to imagine someone fixed it and then reverted the change in disgust. They could be considered a beta leftover, and as pointed out the first PC port was famously based on some prerelease version.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Those 2 were also the first games I remember modding (7 for IIRC nicer battle models and 8 for better quality music)

FFVII was definitely the first game I modded. I was still living at home and on some lovely Dell comp.

It would have been 2008 or 2009, though. This was not the most primitive days of FFVII modding but it was still years before things like 7th Heaven which make modding a total breeze for clueless normies like me. Younger me tried installing a bunch of stuff to improve the models and mu Cloud ended up without a head somehow

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

and mu Cloud ended up without a head somehow

This guy are definitely sick

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Baxate posted:

I super do not appreciate FF6 taking away your party members and letting you roam the overworld with only Celes who is underleveled.

Ngl you are the first person ive heard to ever have trouble with this part so i think this might be a you thing

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I gave up on my first FF6 run at the WOR because my Celes was horseshit from not using for a single minute outside of required sequences and I didn't totally understand espers.

It was also FFA so the sheer load times to fix this situation was probably a factor.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Celes is the best character in the game tho?

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Finished 7 and started 8 7 was sort of a chore to me tbh, the game really dragged for me and felt much longer than it was, 8 is very different so far and has my attention

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Gaius Marius posted:

Celes is the best character in the game tho?

Actually it's pronounced Celes

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Danaru posted:

This is the exact reason I never get past the part of Earthbound where you switch to just Jeff

that parts designed for him though...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FF6 has built in points where it averages levels so even if you don't use Celes outside of mandatory sequences she is going to be at an appropriate level. While she doesn't get averaged in the WoR because she is the first character she does for every other segment of the game prior to that. Unless you were going for a low level challenge and keeping everyone at the bare minimum EXP possible (which I assume you were not) Celes is going to be at a reasonable level and have access to the best equipment you had available in the WoB.

It's functionally impossible for Celes to end up useless by that point unless you are weirdly gaming the mechanics and if you're doing that you presumably know enough to get Celes the five feet to the closest town.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

zedprime posted:

I gave up on my first FF6 run at the WOR because my Celes was horseshit from not using for a single minute outside of required sequences and I didn't totally understand espers.

It was also FFA so the sheer load times to fix this situation was probably a factor.

Ngl you are the second person ive heard to ever have trouble with this part so i think this might be a you and the other guy thing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you can just autoattack up to sabin, grab him, suplex your way to edgar, then just suplex and chainsaw your way to any other character you want. zero idea how people are having trouble with this, seems like its more a thing where people assume there will be a problem when there isnt one

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If I could do it when FF6 was my first rpg 25 years ago and still thought that using a turn to heal was 'a waste of a turn' at that point anyone can do it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Sakurazuka posted:

If I could do it when FF6 was my first rpg 25 years ago and still thought that using a turn to heal was 'a waste of a turn' at that point anyone can do it.

I never played FF6 but this was 100% me with other SNES RPGs too

Lufia owned

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Man, Island Sanctuary rules

Gonna make sure I keep up on it but also back to FFIX tomorrow!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Danaru posted:

I never played FF6 but this was 100% me with other SNES RPGs too

Lufia owned

Lufia II is one of my favorite games of all time

I even liked that weird ARPG remake they did for the DS

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I played so much Ancient Cave. That game was really neat with it's New Game + which gave you like 4 times xp/gold to the Ancient Cave only mode where you could choose your party. Just a really well done game I have a lot of fond memories of.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This has been a fascinating look into people's experiences with FF6 because I consider it a point in the game's favor that it's Kirby story mode easy so you're free to pick any character you wanna use and not have to worry about perfect optimization at all times.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Ah, fond memories of trying to coax Roses and Wine into working properly

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I recently learned the Lufia II devs made a tactics RPG spiritual sequel called Energy Breaker. I haven't checked it out, so I can't vouch for its quality, but I'm kind of amazed the game exists.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

So i reached the spider bot thing in the first mission of FF8 and unfortunately it crashes when i run with the error "unknown exception"
I'm playing the remaster and have tried reinstalling and rebooting and stuff.
Is there any fix for this at all cause i cant find anything on google other than other people complaining about the same issue.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I don't remember if I mentioned it and I will be vague so I don't spoil anything but goddammit Soken you've done it again

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Kullik posted:

So i reached the spider bot thing in the first mission of FF8 and unfortunately it crashes when i run with the error "unknown exception"
Is there any fix for this at all cause i cant find anything on google other than other people complaining about the same issue.

I think that's the true ending. Congrats!

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

FFIX: That Beatrix fight had me sweating just a little bit but I "won". Turns out I have a silk shirt equipped to Dagger, I should swap it to Vivi when I get the chance

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

DrPossum posted:

I think that's the true ending. Congrats!
That the PC is dead is a controversial fan theory

e: is that the first point where it does a smooth gameplay-> prerendered switch? Maybe hunt at system video codecs?

Foxfire_ fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 27, 2022

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Kullik posted:

The two things I saw when googling this are:

Try reinstalling the visual c++ redistributable.

And thus:

quote:

Brother had similar problem. And your post give me and idea. It is probably unrelated / caused by multiple problems but it seems to be working now.

His user files for the game is always in sync with onedrive. So I ask him to try transitioning in and out very fast with onedrive on sync. Lo and behold, it crash.

Then he pause onedrive sync, and did the same transitions in and out of screen (he was farming AP with t rexaur at training center). Zero crash

He turned the sync on again. Game eventually crash after 5-10 quick transitions.

tldr: probably onedrive sync is the problem

I know FFXIII-2 crashes regularly with cloud saving enabled, and I think many of the re-releases have save-on-transition bolted on, so it might be a similar issue.

I don't have FF8 Remaster on PC, just switch.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

I don't like this camera angle

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Danaru posted:

I don't like this camera angle

Semi related, here is a tattoo I found the other day

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

FrostyPox posted:

FFIX: That Beatrix fight had me sweating just a little bit but I "won". Turns out I have a silk shirt equipped to Dagger, I should swap it to Vivi when I get the chance

The Beatrix fight's mean if you're trying to steal her rarest item. Not only are you dealing with a ton of damage, the fight itself is on a hidden timer so you only have so much time to steal with Zidane.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

quegg

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Quegg

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I let my husband name all my Aeons.

He named Yojimbo "Becky" :cripes:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Danaru posted:

"oh my god, becky"

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Danaru posted:

thats a good name for yojimbo

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Danaru posted:

Lol that rules. The Dark Becky fight must’ve sucked

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
lmao

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I watched a few minutes of an actual First Soldier tournament and that game looks like garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

IIRC around the time that the 1-3 Pixel Remasters came out people were complaining that a bug in 2PR caused any attack that could inflict a status effect to always do so regardless of what the infliction rate was supposed to be. I started up a playthrough of 2PR a couple of days ago and remembered that afterwards. I was wondering if that bug ever got fixed?