Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Ciaphas posted:

is the speed boost from the Gor BY-4's best engine worthwhile compared to its 2nd best, considering i've never even been to Northern Aegis Installation and have only done enough of Urska River to get to Cosmodrome?

not even sure what i'd use it for tbh, but hey gottagofast

No. NAI is probably the hardest map in the game and you should only be heading there when you want to knock out everything in the region. Don't go there without a pile of lifted chained azov 7s and zikz 605s, plus a chained boar to haul out the giant trailer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

soumds good to me. even getting to the map looks to be a bit of a pain in the rear end

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Ciaphas posted:

soumds good to me. even getting to the map looks to be a bit of a pain in the rear end

Iirc the best way is to do multiple convoys from the cosmodrome map of beans and planks? Plus fuel trailers. Like you said it's a slog just to get into the map let around move around in it without running out of gas or flipping. I did explore a ton of it with the f750 and knock out some tasks requiring trailers since it could move those around

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Alright so I haven't played in a while (because i'm bad at managing games I need to beat). I've not gotten very far but I had the first season pass. I think I may have cleared much of the very first map and a little bit of Alaska.

My question is: is it worth nabbing the DLC that's come out since then (I think I stopped when the first bit of Season Pass 2 was released), specifically for instantly available trucks or easily reachable upgrades? Or is it all end-game stuff I'd have to work hard to reach, and I should just wait-and-see if I'm sticking with Snowrunner before I nab it?

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
It's not really end-game stuff, it's just new maps. That being said, more trucks are always fun to play with, but nothing is game changing or overpowered.

I'm approaching 300 hours in this game. Send help.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The DLC maps are kind of end game but if you completed one of the original maps you have enough equipment options and knowledge to cope. There's some OP (or just fun) DLC equipment to unlock only but a lot of the maximized choices are in the base game anyway so I wouldn't proceed based on equipment unless you have a favorite truck already and notice the DLC improves it (hello Twinsteer). Proceed based on "this map interests me more" if anything.

End game mainly meaning garages can be awkwardly placed or have unlock conditions and route choices are often between bad ground and badder ground.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
Yeah, vehicles nice, but the maps are the star of the show.

If, by the time you exhaust Michigan, Alaska, and Taymyr, one is still hungry for Snowrunner, then the season pass stuff is a complete no-brainer. I spent around 200 hours in the base game, and another 200 hours in the DLC locations *thus far*. And of 7 DLC locations, I've finished 4 of them (in terms of main 'contracts'; I've not 100%-ed them. Not close).

As I've said before, there is so much game in this game. In a good way.

For my part, I've broken my streak of playing through each location in strict sequence. Amur is *sufficiently* tough that I needed a palate cleanser, so have been swanning around Tennessee.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Ah okay, if there are no immediate/easily gotten stuff from buying SP2 that'll help or enhance the main game, then i'll hold off on it. Cheers.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Sipher posted:

I'm approaching 300 hours in this game. Send help.

*cheerful tone* "We're sorry, but your assistance vehicle is currently experiencing unexpected delays." *cheerful tone*

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

which DLC has the 605, cause that truck fucks

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
That came with "Phase 4"; Amur. Edit: Haven't actually obtained that one in-game yet.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I'll pay for a gently caress truck.

But if it's phase 4 then I already have it since it's part of Y1

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

its makes sense that the 605 is one of the best since its a massive pain in the rear end to unlock. Took me a few days and many failures, Amur doesnt gently caress around

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Is it weird that I sorta like (the look of) the Gor BY-4 light scout?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

its makes sense that the 605 is one of the best since its a massive pain in the rear end to unlock. Took me a few days and many failures, Amur doesnt gently caress around

Urska River was so hellish that I bailed soon as I did enough in Cosmodrome to get the 605r

absolutely worth in gameplay terms ofc but oofa doofa

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Morter posted:

Is it weird that I sorta like (the look of) the Gor BY-4 light scout?

Skid plate across the whole bottom and a rear mounted engine. You can drag it over anything with little damage.

It's also so tiny it'll fit between any trees on any map.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

even the tiniest bit of mud and that thing's donezo though, yeesh

fun tho

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Hopped back in and managed NOT to impulse buy anything, but the work that greets me are intermap drill deliveries. I'm sure I still have it in me...

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Morter posted:

Hopped back in and managed NOT to impulse buy anything, but the work that greets me are intermap drill deliveries. I'm sure I still have it in me...

they call it the present because past you left one for present you

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Ended up doing the oil-rig-drill mission within Smithville and Black River. Holy gently caress that Construction Rig Semi.

I was both relaxed and yet gritting my teeth constantly.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Morter posted:

this is the snowrunner sweet spot

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Morter posted:

Ended up doing the oil-rig-drill mission within Smithville and Black River. Holy gently caress that Construction Rig Semi.

The big, high-saddle "special" trailers are my favorite. They're not easy to deliver, but I prefer them over going back and forth for stuff like concrete slabs or logs or whatever. I wish we could reset jobs to re-do them specifically for those special trailer deliveries.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

any way to carry two 4-slot cargos at the same time? Thinking I might use the twinsteer and use my winch to tow a trailer the whole way

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

any way to carry two 4-slot cargos at the same time? Thinking I might use the twinsteer and use my winch to tow a trailer the whole way

mastershakeman posted:

nothing can stop a mud tire twinsteer + chain tire twinsteer

not even 16 units of cargo

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Easiest way is towing a 2nd truck, winch its front and turn it on and it'll drive itself behind you surprisingly well. The other options of dragging a trailer or using the 8 slot semi-flatbed are exercises in pain

Placeholder
Sep 24, 2008

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Just winch a second twinsteer with the first one.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Almost got Y2 but knowing I still have so many territories to go through I just opted for the a la carte Truck DLCs, including the Tatra. Being able to use them now will mean enough that if I ever even decide to get the Y2 phases proper, i'll have already gotten their worth.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Placeholder posted:

Just winch a second twinsteer with the first one.

I like winching a Tayga with a semi trailer and small crane, that way you have a recovery option with you when you get cocky and flip the twinsteer.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

It's ok, I know what I'm doing.

If you come for my precariously positioned crane, you best not miss.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
you can just drive straight up the mountain if you put your mind to it. the beams won't even fall off your flatbed

vv i just dumped 50 hours into elden ring ,i need to get back to the snow

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 25, 2022

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

A whole lot of people not playing cooperatively in this thread.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

you can just drive straight up the mountain if you put your mind to it. the beams won't even fall off your flatbed

vv i just dumped 50 hours into elden ring ,i need to get back to the snow

This was in Zimnegorsk, but yeah I did almost what you painted out in Rift.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
oh woops, sorry. i get those russian maps mixed up pretty easily

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Just started playing this and I've got what is probably a dumb question: is it possible for a cargo on a trailer to get knocked out of place such that you can't unload it? I was trying to deliver two containers for a contract, one in the back of my truck and one on a sideboard trailer. When I arrived at the destination, I was able to unload the one in the back of my truck, but the cargo unloading interface doesn't seem to recognize that the sideboard trailer is holding a container. Looking at the container, it's sitting a little off-center on the trailer - the drive was a little rough and the trailer almost tipped over a few times. On the map, the little pips for the container is kind of on top of the one for the trailer; the trailer is not shown as actually holding the container.

I can totally just drive a new container over but I'm curious what's going on here.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

have you tried Pack Cargo from the context menu thingy in the truck? any cargo that goes sideways gets unpacked so it can fall out and has to be repacked once you un-tip and get the cargo back in the bed

you'll come to recognize that cargo unpacking sound effect as an "oh, no" before long :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 26, 2022

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah in any case where it's not counted as soon as it crosses the line, which isn't that common, it's gotta be packed to be recognized. If the cargo isn't strapped down visually just pack it and try again

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Pack Cargo did the trick, thanks. :thumbsup:

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
Been playing this a lot on switch. Up to 120 hours since release now alongside the 40 or so I had on pc before the switch release. I’ve been doing each map linearly until satisfied but now I’m going back to try and 100% each zone. Playing on normal mode because I’m scared of soft locking myself.

It’s fun going back to black river and just bombing over the mud patches that used to make me stick horribly.

I still have mishaps though

https://twitter.com/lefishy/status/1564987521896812545?s=46&t=oobotSL1wFQaQZxKPGqUKA

Game owns so hard even with the magical rocks bug that appears to plague all console versions.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

LeFishy posted:

Been playing this a lot on switch. Up to 120 hours since release now alongside the 40 or so I had on pc before the switch release. I’ve been doing each map linearly until satisfied but now I’m going back to try and 100% each zone. Playing on normal mode because I’m scared of soft locking myself.

It’s fun going back to black river and just bombing over the mud patches that used to make me stick horribly.

I still have mishaps though

https://twitter.com/lefishy/status/1564987521896812545?s=46&t=oobotSL1wFQaQZxKPGqUKA

Game owns so hard even with the magical rocks bug that appears to plague all console versions.

It loving owns, surprised the Switch can run it somewhat okay to be honest but glad to hear it and it's probably a fun one on on the go. Going back to savor the early zones with trucks that gently caress is a great time but I still strongly advise you avoid the logging missions still unless you're doing co-op or have a taste for tedium.

Nothing quite like a Twinsteer to do things, even bad things, in a hurry and with a sense of spectacle. If you're a fan of it and have the first DLC Imandra, I recommend it - fun map and has that truck's mega-upgrade, AWD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
Honestly it’s one of the strongest switch ports out there imo. Not quite up to Mudrunner levels but genuinely a really good experience except for the ghost rocks.

Yeah my twinsteer has AWD. Makes it so much more useful. I actually ended up and doing the last big shopping container with the azov pulling a trailer and with the big crane so I could self recover whenever it tipped. Like this:

https://twitter.com/lefishy/status/1565446827042013184

I’ve done bits and bobs up to the Canada map. Poked around a few others too. I think I got the regional star only on the first two regions though.

Logging missions are tedious for sure but they go well with a couple of hours of bad tv in the evening.

LeFishy fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Sep 5, 2022