Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Waiting to see if Dems walk it back for fake “breach of privacy” concerns.

Jesus christ, just take the W

its a good thing that the white house is challenging such transparent dumb poo poo from critics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

Remember when we talked about "conspiracy numerology" and "jumping at shadows" a bit back in this thread?

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1561761231236734976

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1561765433576869888/photo/1

There's a pretty clear difference between "if you add these numbers together you get 14" or whatever the original argument was (since you're referencing something weeks ago), and "roll on to 88 Tactical Gun Range, get yourself some SS Coffee in a black-and-red mug decorated with hawk motifs at 88 Tactical gun range, which we falsely claim is 1488 feet above ground, and maybe meet one of the South American fascist politicians our company has close personal and financial ties to".

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

EmbryoSteve posted:

Jesus christ, just take the W

its a good thing that the white house is challenging such transparent dumb poo poo from critics

it's at the 'happy to be wrong' stage of 'happy'

it's a good thing

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Jaxyon posted:

I think you're reading too much of the RWM thread.

All the people who worship job creators already vote for Republicans, this will change nothing for them.

Most other people loving hate their boss and seeing that they got a dollop of free cash at the same time they made you pick up the responsilibities of the coworker who quit without any sort of pay increase makes people super loving angry.

This is good messaging.

I'll need to read up on the particular forgiveness details but iirc an employer who A) got more than 100k and B) did not use it appropriately on employee compensation might be liable

source: am the guy who read the thing for our company when we were applying for it

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.
Yeah, I have to admit I'm really enjoying the Biden administration showing some spine here - would have expected them to be a lot less on point given his past stances on the issue, their previous responses to things like the Dobbs ruling, etc.

Jaxyon posted:

Remember when we talked about "conspiracy numerology" and "jumping at shadows" a bit back in this thread?

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1561761231236734976

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1561765433576869888/photo/1

There's a security company I see at some of the apartment complexes around here called Signal 88. I always thought that was suspicious, so I just looked it up after seeing your post and surprise! Apparently it was formed by the same guy.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Main Paineframe posted:

There's a pretty clear difference between "if you add these numbers together you get 14" or whatever the original argument was (since you're referencing something weeks ago), and "roll on to 88 Tactical Gun Range, get yourself some SS Coffee in a black-and-red mug decorated with hawk motifs at 88 Tactical gun range, which we falsely claim is 1488 feet above ground, and maybe meet one of the South American fascist politicians our company has close personal and financial ties to".

it was the 30-50 hogs guy, something about his post somehow added up to 88.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Looks like the bumper of that car the GOP caught is starting to turn to ashes in their mouth. Included the video mentioned below.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1562880134129991680
https://twitter.com/YahooNews/status/1562058201993986048
These people write laws that impact the lives of hundreds of millions of people and it never even occurs to them that it might be worthwhile to consult a domain expert beforehand, smh.

Government is really just chimpanzees flying 777's. The built-in autopilot and onboard systems do a lot of the work, but at the end of the day, it's still just chimps in the cockpit.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 26, 2022

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Nazzadan posted:

it was the 30-50 hogs guy, something about his post somehow added up to 88.

30+50=80
3+5= 8

It is a massive stretch (unlike the straight up marketing to Nazis Jaxyon just linked)

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

-Blackadder- posted:

Government is really just chimpanzees flying 777's 737 MAX's.

FTFY.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Zwabu posted:

DeSantis is smart so there’s no way he will directly confront or attack Trump unless he saw it as necessary and unavoidable.

If Trump winds up not running then DeSantis can continue to worship at the altar of Trump without even delaying his run. If Trump winds up indicted or jailed, then DeSantis can run, and see which way the winds are blowing and either attack Trump (“I’m SHOCKED that this man was a criminal!”) or wave his bloody shirt as his champion and successor.

It’s only if Trump decides to run that DeSantis must decide whether to remain on the team and put his own ambitions on hold for another four years (I see it as possible but unlikely that Trump would want DeSantis as a running mate) or actually challenge him, putting his own career at risk.

Since it’s more likely (for a variety of reasons) that Trump would declare early rather than late, DeSantis has the luxury of waiting to see what Trump’s move will be. Only in the unlikely scenario that Trump plays coy and waits until the last minute to declare a candidacy might DeSantis be forced to choose a course of action without knowing Trump’s plan.

I suspect if Trump had any idea of running at all he’ll declare early for whatever protection it might provide him against the various investigations he’s facing.

Thing that irks the living hell out of me is, as horrible as their top tier candidates and most well known officials are, Republicans give their loving base exactly what they want and seem to have no shortage of horrible monsters sitting on their bench, waiting to run as they keep doubling down on the abject insanity. Thinking about it right now, who am I supposed to get fired up for in 2024 as a pretty far left voter who just wants basic reasonable things like M4A, serious police reform, national abortion rights and maybe jut a slight decrease in military spending?

Who speaks for me and gets me excited to vote, let alone donate money and time I do not have to give.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
God I hope James O'Keefe finally gets to see prison for something

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1562860284359766016

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

God I hope James O'Keefe finally gets to see prison for something

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1562860284359766016

TPM had a long post on this. Basically, under US law as a journalist you are allowed to publish stolen material without committing a crime as long as you had nothing to do with stealing it. Someone says "hey i stole these documents, want to see?" is fine. Saying "hey, i can steal some documents, want me to?" is a crime. Going "hey, could you go steal me some more of these documents?" definitely a crime.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

This is public information easily available to anyone interested.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Yeah. It’s good Dems are allowing for a single droplet of decorum breaking but it does demonstrate how truly easy it is to sling money around for free as long as you are an immoral capitalist.

They might but the White House was just cribbing off of the numerous twitter threads already doing this, so its a bit of a stretch. They're definitely making it more widespread but its not as if no-one was putting two and two together before.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Someone needs to start a write in campaign for Trump for FL governor.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Simultaneously huge news, but also hilariously grim that this is just now happening.

At least "tens of millions" of dollars from the defense budget are being diverted away from the traditional spending.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1562872476052619265

Can anyone tell what they're actually going to do? It's a lot of jargon and the only concrete step I can figure out is they're going to have a bunch of guys whose job it is to hang out at drone command saying things like "hey, try not to kill any civilians!" It's all internal auditing and processes...?

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Atahualpa posted:

Yeah, I have to admit I'm really enjoying the Biden administration showing some spine here - would have expected them to be a lot less on point given his past stances on the issue, their previous responses to things like the Dobbs ruling, etc.

There's a security company I see at some of the apartment complexes around here called Signal 88. I always thought that was suspicious, so I just looked it up after seeing your post and surprise! Apparently it was formed by the same guy.

Huh. My old apartment in Federal Way switched to Signal 88 right after Blackstone equity bought the rental management company they were using.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

some plague rats posted:

Can anyone tell what they're actually going to do? It's a lot of jargon and the only concrete step I can figure out is they're going to have a bunch of guys whose job it is to hang out at drone command saying things like "hey, try not to kill any civilians!" It's all internal auditing and processes...?

Here's the full document.

https://int.nyt.com/data/documenttools/civilian-harm-mitigation-and-response-action-plan-chmr-ap/8e912a7bd782218a/full.pdf

It includes a bunch of stuff like:

- Establishing a civilian oversight board.

- Making commanding officers punishable for people under their command committing reckless actions that can endanger civilians or actually endangering civilians (this includes calling in air strikes)

- Establish new rules of engagement for soldiers and drones that prevents engagement if there are any risk factors for civilians.

- Some of the military budget will be diverted to implementing policies to reduce civilian casualties and establishing funds to pay anyone injured.

- Some more of the military budget will be locked each year if the Pentagon doesn't submit an updated policy and ways to improve data calculation.

- All military operations have to include calculations for potential civilian injuries and require approval from civilian leadership if the likelihood is too high.

- Requires the military to pay for the repair of any buildings or property damaged by their operations.

- Requires country and region-specific intelligence gathering to better calculate the odds of civilian casualties and avoid out of date or too generalized estimates.

- Requires all civilian casualties, property damage, and injuries to be reported to the civilian oversight board and made public.

- Establish an IG that investigates instances of civilian casualties outside of the normal military chain of command.

- Any recommendations for discipline or charges by the civilian IG board have to be made public and have to be acted upon.

- Revamping the training, officer education requirements, and data collection rules to emphasize harm mitigation.

- Involvement in or overseeing subordinates who have been involved in civilian personal or property damage has to be considered when making promotions and career assignments (more = block promotion, less = consider for promotion).

- All military exercises have to plan for and be scored based on potential civilian casualties.

- Any operation with a risk of civilian casualties has to "provide detailed justification for resourcing required" over other options.

- Requires all partner nations or other non-American forces to abide by these rules.

- A bunch of internal bureaucratic, training, and auditing changes.

- Provide a procedure for members of the public to report misconduct.

- Standardize data collection and reporting across all military branches.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 26, 2022

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

some plague rats posted:

You're not wrong, but I saw (what seemed to me to be) other notable, specific changes.

quote:

The steps include putting officials responsible for reducing civilian harm inside the combatant commands and Pentagon policy offices; imposing a new system to reduce the risk of misidentifying targets and “confirmation bias” — the tendency to favor information that confirms pre-existing beliefs; and creating a 30-person center to handle departmentwide analysis and training regarding civilian protection.

[...]

Much of the document is dense with new bureaucratic procedures aimed at ensuring that greater attention to potential impact on civilians — and civilian infrastructure like power plants and water-purification systems — during mission planning is incorporated as basic doctrine.

[...]

Other highlights from the plan include standardizing reporting on how the Pentagon collects, shares and analyzes data related to civilian casualties, with a mechanism for the public to submit allegations and new procedures for investigating such claims.

The plan also expands how the U.S. military can respond to victims, including condolence payments to survivors and family members of those harmed, as well as paying for medical care and the repair of damaged infrastructure.

Recent efforts to provide such aid to civilian casualty survivors and their family members have largely faltered. No one has received condolence payments or other forms of monetary assistance from the U.S. military for the drone strike in Kabul last year, for example.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Here's the full document.

https://int.nyt.com/data/documenttools/civilian-harm-mitigation-and-response-action-plan-chmr-ap/8e912a7bd782218a/full.pdf

It includes a bunch of stuff like:

- Establishing a civilian oversight board.

- Making commanding officers punishable for people under their command committing reckless actions that can endanger civilians or actually endangering civilians (this includes calling in air strikes)

- Establish new rules of engagement for soldiers and drones that prevents engagement if there are any risk factors for civilians.

- Some of the military budget will be diverted to implementing policies to reduce civilian casualties and establishing funds to pay anyone injured.

- Some more of the military budget will be locked each year if the Pentagon doesn't submit an updated policy and ways to improve data calculation.

- All military operations have to include calculations for potential civilian injuries and require approval from civilian leadership if the likelihood is too high.

- Requires the military to pay for the repair of any buildings or property damaged by their operations.

- Requires country and region-specific intelligence gathering to better calculate the odds of civilian casualties and avoid out of date or too generalized estimates.

- Requires all civilian casualties, property damage, and injuries to be reported to the civilian oversight board and made public.

- Establish an IG that investigates instances of civilian casualties outside of the normal military chain of command.

- Any recommendations for discipline or charges by the civilian IG board have to be made public and have to be acted upon.

- Revamping the training, officer education requirements, and data collection rules to emphasize harm mitigation.

- Involvement in or overseeing subordinates who have been involved in civilian personal or property damage has to be considered when making promotions and career assignments (more = block promotion, less = consider for promotion).

- All military exercises have to plan for and be scored based on potential civilian casualties.

- Any operation with a risk of civilian casualties has to "provide detailed justification for resourcing required" over other options.

- Requires all partner nations or other non-American forces to abide by these rules.

- A bunch of internal bureaucratic, training, and auditing changes.

- Provide a procedure for members of the public to report misconduct.

- Standardize data collection and reporting across all military branches.

So it's a lot of data collection and financial penalties, the one thing that actually seems to include any kind of repercussions is "Making commanding officers punishable for people under their command committing reckless actions that can endanger civilians or actually endangering civilians (this includes calling in air strikes)", does it specify anywhere what it would be punishable with? I'd love to be wrong but this just seems to add a bunch of layers of bureaucracy before the military can do what they were going to anyway, financial interference that's a piss in the ocean of their budget, and a bunch of "civilian oversight" that could easily end up like the FISA courts- a rubber-stamp designed to add plausible deniability when it's time to point fingers.

It's good they're trying something, and I'd love to be wrong and this results in no more civilians getting wiped out, but it just sounds like a lot of paperwork and fiddling about in a desperate attempt to avoid the obvious, one sentence solution to the problem which would be "stop loving launching missiles at other people's homes"

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

-Blackadder- posted:

These people write laws that impact the lives of hundreds of millions of people and it never even occurs to them that it might be worthwhile to consult a domain expert beforehand, smh.

Government is really just chimpanzees flying 777's. The built-in autopilot and onboard systems do a lot of the work, but at the end of the day, it's still just chimps in the cockpit.

Yeah and it's SO much worse at the state level. I worked as a staff member for the state govt where I live for a few years and the House members were some of the absolute dumbest, weirdest shitheads you could ever meet. Most state reps make almost no money so it's either business grifters or true believers and they can all be bought for laughably small bribes. Working there was the start of my radicalization- waking up to realize that our society is run by these people is pretty shocking.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Yeah and it's SO much worse at the state level. I worked as a staff member for the state govt where I live for a few years and the House members were some of the absolute dumbest, weirdest shitheads you could ever meet. Most state reps make almost no money so it's either business grifters or true believers and they can all be bought for laughably small bribes. Working there was the start of my radicalization- waking up to realize that our society is run by these people is pretty shocking.

What state?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DeadlyMuffin posted:

How do "slinging money around for free" and capitalism go together? This doesn't make any sense to me.

If you're rich it's very easy to get even more money from the government. If you're not rich you have to beg for scraps.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

pencilhands posted:

What state?

The paragraph applies for all 50 states.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fister Roboto posted:

If you're rich it's very easy to get even more money from the government. If you're not rich you have to beg for scraps.

This is what class solidarity looks like.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

A thread about how student loans work and how forgiveness would work might be helpful, I'm discussing the recent student loan forgiveness with a friend and they seem convinced that the loans are held by banks, and that the mint will be printing money to pay for these loans. The loans are owed to the Department of Education, right? That's why they can be forgiven by executive order in the first place.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Triskelli posted:

A thread about how student loans work and how forgiveness would work might be helpful, I'm discussing the recent student loan forgiveness with a friend and they seem convinced that the loans are held by banks, and that the mint will be printing money to pay for these loans. The loans are owed to the Department of Education, right? That's why they can be forgiven by executive order in the first place.

It's at the top of this forum

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Triskelli posted:

There is one. It's stickied in this forum:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4010697

There is also a thread in BFC, I believe.

And yes, the loans are all held by the Department of Education thanks to... Obamacare. So, indirectly, Obamacare made student loan forgiveness possible.

Any fully privately issued loans (not just serviced by a private company) are not eligible for forgiveness.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Aug 26, 2022

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

And yes, the loans are all held by the Department of Education thanks to... Obamacare. So, indirectly, Obamacare made student loan forgiveness possible.

Circling back to an earlier joke, we owe Obamacare to Mitt Romney. This means, indirectly, Joseph Smith is responsible for the student loan forgiveness.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It is pretty funny how "semi-fascist" is both the most rousing condemnation of Republican pieces of poo poo by a sitting president and still decorum-poisoned enough to kill Mithridates. And they say Americans are confrontational.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Aug 26, 2022

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

davecrazy posted:

Someone needs to start a write in campaign for Trump for FL governor.

If I bother at all, I'm writing in Nikki Fried

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lib and let die posted:

If I bother at all, I'm writing in Nikki Fried

If you're going to write in someone with no chance of winning, then you should write in something funnier so you can be on the news if they do a recount. Like the "Lizard People" guy that Al Franken's campaign fought (successfully) to get counted.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

If you're going to write in someone with no chance of winning, then you should write in something funnier so you can be on the news if they do a recount. Like the "Lizard People" guy that Al Franken's campaign fought (successfully) to get counted.

Let me be clear: I will almost certainly be staying home touching myself rather than voting

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Lib and let die posted:

Let me be clear: I will almost certainly be staying home touching myself rather than voting

I love these little details of your life and choices - do you have a Blogspot or Tumblr?

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Sonic the Hedgehog because he will use the chaos emeralds for silly things like turning yellow and going even faster.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/1563152914238951434?s=20

This is barbaric.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Vote Val Demmings in November and send a cop on the beat to Washington!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lib and let die posted:

Vote Val Demmings in November and send a cop on the beat to Washington!

Stop shitposting.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Nutter fort ...

Huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

If you read the story the man shot by the police was involved in an incident where he attacked/wounded another cop.

They absolutely had no intention of arresting this guy.