Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Betjeman posted:

That is mental

This is the guy with billions invested in them right? Does he not have any stakeholders to answer to or is it all his own money?

Saylor got ousted as CEO of his own company a few weeks ago for spending too much company money on bitcoins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Bitcoins are…..batteries?? Digital batteries??

Huh?

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

If you squint hard enough and project in the far future, using information as an energy storage medium is theoretically conceivable, so the idea of "digital batteries" is not inherently stupid. However, that does not apply to Bitcoin in any way shape or form.

If anything, from that PoV, Bitcoin is possibly one of the most roundabout and miserably inefficient way to go about it imaginable.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 25, 2022

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gutcruncher posted:

Bitcoins are…..batteries?? Digital batteries??

Huh?

they're antibatteries, they represent a mathematically-defined unit of waste. humanity will develop the blood engine from The Matrix and plug coiners into them until we've extracted enough energy to balance their individual holdings

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Aramis posted:

The view I heard on this is that spending electricity on PoW is equivalent to locking gold into Fort Knox. By removing a scarce resource from the world, you transfer that resource's value onto the currency.

Why yes, there IS an immense obvious hole in that comparison. It's just a sham to rope-in gold-standard zealots into the ponzi scheme.
No, Bitcoin is exactly the same as metallics beside it being maybe a technology out of place and time considering we have moved on from metallics. A rare thing is chosen that can be collected with make work to underpin currency for a society who's civic infrastructure can not maintain sound moneys. The make work results in value because the result is a rare thing. You can't flood the market without outsized amounts of make work that ruin your economy besides the inflation. Bitcoin is new and interesting because the make work can't flood the economy any more so you can ruin your economy without even an immediate wealth inflating effect.

This is useful when maybe you can't maintain the correct amount of circulating money, either absolutely or because of counterfeits and such. But becomes a burden when it can't maintain the correct amount of circulating money. Bitcoiners like to pretend bitcoin solved this problem with decimal precision but it's actually a structural problem that is still there with miners as the bankers on a fixed income in some Bitcoin based economy.

Its really just gold with a new coat of paint that you can't wear or use industrially. So yes, maybe it's not gold. But as a currency it has all the same properties and problems.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

zedprime posted:

Its really just gold with a new coat of paint that you can't wear or use industrially. So yes, maybe it's not gold. But as a currency it has all the same properties and problems.

A very important property of metallics is that, unless the issuer is cheating, the transformation is reversible, in principle at least. The fact that the power -> Bitcoin conversion is a non-reversible operation makes it a very different beast, and invalidates the comparison entirely IMO.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Aramis posted:

A very important property of metallics is that, unless the issuer is cheating, the transformation is reversible, in principle at least. The fact that the power -> Bitcoin conversion is a non-reversible operation makes it a very different beast, and invalidates the comparison entirely IMO.
Are you saying you have a productive use for the 140 million ounces of gold in Ft Knox because Uncle Sam would probably be interested in liquidating.

Metallics are mined and stored in excess of their utility and you would be hardpressed to keep "reversing" the operation past a very early point. I already budged on the base utility but a big point of metallics is to keep making work beyond any useful point.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

HappyHippo posted:

How does PoW "back" the crypto price? That doesn't make any sense.

Backing was the wrong term. But the point is that the folks with the big mining rigs are the same folks who demand Tether and the other stablecoins turn on the liquidity pump, when they're not the ones running those stablecoins themselves. The cost of PoW provides a point below which mining coins is losing money.

Removing that means that coins don't really have a cost, which means it's profitable to sell them at any price, and the only thing keeping the price up is manipulation and belief. PoW maintains a fundamental cost that the price needs to beat, and therefore forces a lot of folks with a lot of skin in the game to manipulate the gently caress out of the market.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The people most excited about Bitcoin are almost always the ones who understand the least about it.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

zedprime posted:

Are you saying you have a productive use for the 140 million ounces of gold in Ft Knox because Uncle Sam would probably be interested in liquidating.

Metallics are mined and stored in excess of their utility and you would be hardpressed to keep "reversing" the operation past a very early point. I already budged on the base utility but a big point of metallics is to keep making work beyond any useful point.

Put it this way: I claim that if the cost/value of electricity was to double overnight, it would not cause the price of Bitcoin to raise, but instead would cause the global hashrate to plummet until a new ROI equilibrium is reached, all the while leaving the value of Bitcoin as-is. Obviously, I'm ignoring indirect market-wide disruptions caused by the sudden change in the price of power here.

That's not the case for metallics. If the backing metal of a currency shoots up in value, so does the currency. And the difference in reversibility of the operation is something I'd identify as a large contributing factor.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 25, 2022

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Aramis posted:

Put it this way: I claim that if the cost/value of electricity was to double overnight, it would not cause the price of Bitcoin to raise, but instead would cause the global hashrate to plummet until a new ROI equilibrium is reached, all the while leaving the value of Bitcoin as-is. Obviously, I'm ignoring indirect market-wide disruptions caused by the sudden change in the price of power here.

But Michael Saylor says bitcoin only uses wasted & stranded electricity, how can this be

edit: his actual twitter av (click for extra cocaine energy)

drk fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 25, 2022

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I m happy believing some japanese autist was annoyed at wire fees when buying model trains from england.

All the drugs and rug pull and comedy are just a side effect.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Aramis posted:

That's not the case for metallics. If the backing metal of a currency shoots up in value, so does the currency. And the difference in reversibility of the operation is something I'd identify as a large contributing factor.
I'm not following this at all.

The metallics part is just a tautology. If gold goes up, goldbacks go up. If Bitcoin goes up, Bitcoin goes up.

There are some differences but you need to compare apples to apples to start.

If there is a large power cost shift, Bitcoin miners will find a new equilibrium feeding back from the Bitcoin price and feeding forward on the new rarity of Bitcoin miners.

If there is a large hash rate gain in a special sort of hash card, Bitcoin miners will find a new equilibrium feeding back from the new prevalence of rash rate and feeding forward to the Bitcoin price.

But gold has similar affinities.

If there is a large mining equipment cost shift, gold miners will find a new equilibrium feeding back from the gold price and feeding forward on the new rarity of gold.

If there is a large revolution in mine geology making gold very easy to find, gold miners will find a new equilibrium feeding back from the new prevalence of easy gold in the ground and feeding forward to the gold price.

Like don't get me wrong, if an economist with a shotgun walks up and says "hedge or die" I'm buying the gold. But that's more because there are established gold markets that aren't inextricably linked to North Korea. Its all a bunch of dumb make work at the end of the day though and a better planned society would do without all of it.

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
I just love that Pharod from planescape:torment is a real guy and he has spent nine years trying to find his salvation hunting for bitcoins in a landfill somewhere

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

zedprime posted:

[...]
If there is a large hash rate gain in a special sort of hash card, Bitcoin miners will find a new equilibrium feeding back from the new prevalence of rash rate and feeding forward to the Bitcoin price.
[...]

Can you elaborate on this please? By what mechanism does this feed forward to the Bitcoin price? It seems to me like the puzzle difficulty being automatically adjusted so that the rate of mining remains constant regardless of the global hash rate precludes miner behaviour from meaningfully affecting the price beyond providing a hard floor.

However, I will gladly agree with "Bitcoin is equivalent to Gold-backed currency in that it suffers from a lot of the same issues that makes the former nonviable in a modern context". The view I'm calling wrong is the one equivocating power spent on bitcoin to locked-away metal in an idealised version of metal-backed currency.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 25, 2022

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
guys, guys, guys, creating a house inside a computer is EXACTLY the same as actually building a real house in the real world with real lumber and drywall and shingles and poo poo.

buttcoin

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Aramis posted:

Can you elaborate on this please? By what mechanism does this feed forward to the Bitcoin price? It seems to me like the puzzle difficulty being automatically adjusted so that the rate of mining remains constant regardless of the global hash rate precludes miner behaviour from meaningfully affecting the price beyond providing a hard floor.

However, I will gladly agree with "Bitcoin is equivalent to Gold-backed currency in that it suffers from a lot of the same issues that makes the former nonviable in a modern context". The view I'm calling wrong is the one equivocating power spent on bitcoin to locked-away metal in an idealised version of metal-backed currency.
1. Difficulty changes aren't instant
2. Miners can set an order book with a floor, waiting for the market to reach what they consider the fair value, and with deep enough pockets, can wait for it to happen while other miners flake out or join their assessment of price or the other side of the book comes to meet it.

My main point on gold is that a vault of gold has as much economic use as a vault of bedrock. It was hard to dig up, heavy, and is sitting in a coffin. Complete waste of time and effort.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i mean... you could take out loans against that vault of gold, though

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mozi posted:

i mean... you could take out loans against that vault of gold, though
You shouldn't be able to. We should discourage it like Bitcoin as economic waste.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

zedprime posted:

You shouldn't be able to. We should discourage it like Bitcoin as economic waste.

Whats the rational thing? Sheep?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
So my mom (far right, q-pilled, true believer of all things) stopped over today and was going on and on about this new thing she and my uncle invested in where something magical is supposed to happen on or by September 11th? I started to press her for details but she shut it down (even though she brought it up) because I would “just make fun of her and tell her it’s a scam” (she’s correct that would have happened).

Anyway it sounded like they’re just sending money to some guy and not an exchange or anything, and 9/11 (yes I appreciate the irony) got mentioned as a date of importance a couple times. Anyone have any idea what this could possibly be about?

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

notwithoutmyanus posted:

It's possible. I saw an *enormous* amount of dumps to crypto exchanges tonight, way outside the normal. It could be correlated. 1000 BTC is not a big deal, 7000+ is a big deal and these have been happening a lot lately.

CryptoQuant Alert, [8/24/2022 5:17 PM]
🚨🚨 2,100.25 #BTC ($45,281,767)
aggregated inflows to #Gemini

CryptoQuant Alert, [8/24/2022 7:32 PM]
🚨 1,052.26 #BTC ($22,473,323)
aggregated inflows to #Coinbase Pro

CryptoQuant Alert, [8/24/2022 8:53 PM]
🚨 1,375.74 #BTC ($29,724,319)
aggregated inflows to #Gemini

CryptoQuant Alert, [8/24/2022 9:09 PM]
🚨 1,035.61 #BTC ($22,313,172)

CryptoQuant Alert, [8/24/2022 10:04 PM]
🚨 1,496.61 #BTC ($32,224,643)

just dawned on me could these coins be from the MTGOX bankruptcy pay out that was due this month?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

fullroundaction posted:

So my mom (far right, q-pilled, true believer of all things) stopped over today and was going on and on about this new thing she and my uncle invested in where something magical is supposed to happen on or by September 11th? I started to press her for details but she shut it down (even though she brought it up) because I would “just make fun of her and tell her it’s a scam” (she’s correct that would have happened).

Anyway it sounded like they’re just sending money to some guy and not an exchange or anything, and 9/11 (yes I appreciate the irony) got mentioned as a date of importance a couple times. Anyone have any idea what this could possibly be about?

Just take your parents computers and phones away until sept 12th.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Uh. So what actually happens is that the price of bitcoin drops below the cost of mining and the miners switch off the least efficient rigs and then the difficulty adjusts a couple's weeks later

the cost of mining does not act as some sort of "floor" to the price

because that's just as dumb as it sounds

also that mining sets a floor price because reasons was the stupidest bitcoiner claim until they came up with the one about the battery

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Buttcoin.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

tango alpha delta posted:

guys, guys, guys, creating a house inside a computer is EXACTLY the same as actually building a real house in the real world with real lumber and drywall and shingles and poo poo.

buttcoin

nobody could be stupid enough to actually put real money into an nft for real esta-

:suicide:

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Gutcruncher posted:

Just take your parents computers and phones away until sept 12th.

This would probably improve my mother’s mental health tremendously

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Complications posted:

nobody could be stupid enough to actually put real money into an nft for real esta-

“You don’t actually own the property” seems like kind of a big disadvantage to me. I’m not a financial guru on tiktok though so what do I know

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

tango alpha delta posted:

buttcoin
There's an actual killer analogy here with investment homes that will never have a person living in them. Exactly as useful as an ethereum metaverse plot. There is zero difference between burning 16 dinosaurs to mint a metaverse house and building a vanity house for your investment portfolio.

Sekenr posted:

Whats the rational thing? Sheep?
Like perfect world? We move beyond needing to turn things into commodities to facilitate efficient business with some magic efficient, transparent central supply chain planning function.

Realist capitalist hell world? Commodities need to start as some vessel of utility and remain that way. Anything that can fit into a filing cabinet or can be locked in a vault should be under the utmost regulator scrutiny and discouraged if the hoarding becomes antisocial (gold stores, investment properties, bitcoins) or high risk (weird derivatives, loans on loans etc.).

Remaining utility full is important for physical productive assets. If I say yes, sheep are the rational useful investment choice and for some reason everybody listens to me and there's a run in the sheep market, that needs stopped too.

Basically just being a civil social society and trying to be productive you know?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Complications posted:

Advantage: it's crypto, baby
Advantage: anyone can invest any amount of money
Advantage: it's very flexible

Disadvantage: you'll lose all your money

That's 3 advantages to one disadvantage so, seems there's only one resolution

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Complications posted:

one day real laws will catch up with digital ones and you'll certainly be rich off all your fake investments.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
if you created a "coin" that was backed by video proof of its backers burning big piles of fiat cash like the KLF, would that be proof of stake or proof of work, or both?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Cocaine is real, and it makes people talk like this.

Yeah, I got a def upper vibe from that tweet too

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Complications posted:

It's like a REIT but for marks who want to be stolen from.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Setting all you money on fire

Pros:
- Pretty
- Warm
- Saves money on storage
- Anyone can do it

Cons:
- Stores don't accept money ash as legal tender
- Other things may catch on fire
- People will think you're insane

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Elias_Maluco posted:

I dont think these people understand what is bitcoin and how it works

edit: is the kind of argument that so absurd and stupid is actually impossible to argue against. You cant engage it, you cant even begin to tell whats wrong about it. Is just pure nonsense, is like trying to argue against a monty python sketch

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
cool video about helium network

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDhU295bUv4

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Paladinus posted:

Pros:
- Pretty
- Warm
- Saves money on storage
- Anyone can do it

Cons:

i count 4 good and i count 3 bad, so burning money is a good idea better buy some bitcoins

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Paladinus posted:

Pros:
- Pretty
- Warm
- Saves money on storage
- Anyone can do it

Cons:

If you took a polaroid of the pile of money as its burning, it would be worth the same amount as the money itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

ponzicar posted:

If you took a polaroid of the pile of money as its burning, it would be worth the same amount as the money itself.

And thus PFts were born, Polaroid filmed trash