Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Cerekk posted:

99% of wedding planning is figuring out how to make things perfect for the bride, the remaining 1% is that the groom gets to pick the groomsmen. He's 100% NTA and if he gives in here his new wife will be demanding he cut off his friend shortly thereafter.

I don’t see the problem here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Woozie66 posted:

She absolutely got punished. Her choices were to eat food she didn't want and didn't order or she could be hungry. Talking to the waiter was a non starter for her mental health. A parent should absolutely fix that for their 14 year old.

If you never make someone with anxiety deal with basic social situations, then they will never learn to adapt and they will come to rely on others to do those things for them. They will only become more fragile.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Soylent Pudding posted:

At least when I checked this morning the OP was responding to everyone except those asking if they'd had the daughter see a therapist or looked into whether there is an actual anxiety disorder with daughter.

She said once that she had tried a Zoom therapist last year and her daughter hated it and begged to stop. Also her husband doesn't think her daughter needs therapy.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

therobit posted:

If you never make someone with anxiety deal with basic social situations, then they will never learn to adapt and they will come to rely on others to do those things for them. They will only become more fragile.

That's what therapy is for. Not dad just going "dag nabbit, learn to grow a spine in this public place." I'm not saying he shouldn't have tried, but really drawing the line in the sand seemed dickish.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

There's places between doing it for them and leaving them to do it themselves.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I feel like the correct way to handle it would have been to motion for the wait staff member to come over and say "[daughter] has something wrong with her food. [Daughter], could you tell them what's wrong?"

Sure, it puts them on the spot, but it also gets over the anxiety-difficult hump of the initial contact.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kenshin posted:

I feel like the correct way to handle it would have been to motion for the wait staff member to come over and say "[daughter] has something wrong with her food. [Daughter], could you tell them what's wrong?"

Sure, it puts them on the spot, but it also gets over the anxiety-difficult hump of the initial contact.

I have seen this scenario play out with a couple where the boyfriend tried to do this and the girlfriend yelled out "no, I don't want them to get upset at us and spit in our food!" Which made the whole situation way more awkward for everyone.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Uncle Enzo posted:

Also it makes me wonder if the daughter has ever been tested for anxiety? Being so nervous you can't perform a basic social function is kind of an indicator.

Yup :smith:

That said, https://youtu.be/x1Yb3wN_cJY

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Baronjutter posted:

This is one of those things that seems like a minor complaint but would be absolutely maddening to be stuck with. You ask, you try to talk about it, you explain how uncomfortable it can be to be trapped outside for minutes for seemingly no reason. But it doesn't get resolved, she keeps doing it, it never gets better. What do you do though, break up over door unlocking speed? Yes.

Real answer, sever, since this can't be the only thing like this she does. Practical answer, since I'm sure the OP, like all OPs would refuse this good advice, is to get his own copy of the key, a normal thing couples who share vehicles often do (cars even often come with multiple keys) and carry around his own copy so he can unlock it when she does this lovely power move.

AITA for not saying anything with my friend gave a restaurant fraudulent yelp review?

quote:

I recently turned 22 and my friend "Racheal" decided to take me to a restaurant for my birthday. She has been my friend for 10 years and it's been a good friendship with minimum fights and I love that. She picked me up and took me out and we went to a restaurant and she paid for everything but something happened.

We had a waiter "Jimmy" and he gave excellent service and was always there giving us refills. Racheal told me she thought he was hot and wanted to get his number and she asked and Jimmy said "sorry ma'am this body belongs to my wife" and went back to the other people. Racheal looked sad and went back to eating we got done eating we tipped Jimmy 20$ and left and I went home.

Racheal went on Yelp and gave the restaurant a 1 star review saying Jimmy was flirting with her all night and the restaurant was horrible. I saw this and was shocked but I didn't say anything because she paid for it.

AITA?

r/relationships: this body belongs to my wife

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 26, 2022

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Like if she gives so little poo poo about what's going on with him while she's getting comfy, that's gotta creep into other stuff, definitely. No way there's just one "me first" situation, this is just the one that annoys him enough to comment.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Woozie66 posted:

That's what therapy is for. Not dad just going "dag nabbit, learn to grow a spine in this public place." I'm not saying he shouldn't have tried, but really drawing the line in the sand seemed dickish.

Maybe you should read the story again if you're going to keep commenting on it.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Invisible Clergy posted:

r/relationships: this body belongs to my wife

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Pete and Jimmy, doing poo poo properly.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Woozie66 posted:

It’s mom, not dad. And that’s a pretty harsh characterization of telling someone that they need to speak up if they want a new meal. I myself suffer from anxiety, among other psychiatric issues, but the difference is that people didn’t coddle me and do things for me when I was a kid. My brother, on the other hand, was always catered to and has just moved back in with our parents at 35 because his worthless rear end can’t see his way to getting a job again after having quit a good one and assuming it would all work out for him when he moved halfway across the country despite being too anxious to sit a job interview half the time.

Eating a non-preferred food item is pretty low stakes. Enabling is actively making things worse, whereas the alternative is is just letting them deal with the consequences of not doing for themselves. At 14 the kid should be able to handle a food issue at a restaurant.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
Edit: Crap, I didn't see that and I usually double check!

Evil Willow fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 26, 2022

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It's the other day starting with a "T".

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Triday??? (im in Japan)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It's always Tuesday somewhere

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Tues dutz?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for being mad at my boyfriend for not finishing reading my favorite book?

quote:

When my boyfriend (m26) and I (f27) met over two years ago, we dated briefly but then he moved away. We planned to remain friends, and each gave each other a copy of our favorite book to read. 3 months later, he moved back home, and we have been dating for a little over 2 years now.

I finished the book he gave me in less than a month. For context, it’s the Silmarillion, a long and dense Lord Of The Rings book, that frankly isn’t something I would’ve read on my own, but I enjoyed it, and have since delved into many more of his similar interests.

I gave him Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut, a relatively light ~200 page book about WWII, which is something he has expressed interest in. It took him about 6 months to start, well into us dating again, and then he gave up after a few dozen pages. I eventually asked for my copy back about a year ago, being my favorite book, but he said he would restart it. He’s now maybe half way through.

I’ve told him if he doesn’t want to read it just say so, but to me it’s really frustrating that he won’t go to the effort to try and check out my favorite book when I have easily done so for him. He says he wants to, he’ll just do it in his own time, but in his own time he is constantly doing something else, from other hobbies to literally staring off into the abyss.

We’ve fought about this multiple times, as for me it just kind of hurts and feels like crap that he won’t take the time to read it on his own for the above reason, and for him I’m hounding him and he’ll get to it when he chooses to.

I realize nagging him to read this book is annoying, but AITA for being so upset he wont put forth the effort to check out one of my favorite things?

AITA for purchasing a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle out of the joint savings account with my spouse?

quote:

I purchased a $5500 USD bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 23 year out of my and my wife's joint savings account last night. I have recently been promoted to a higher position in my company and it comes with a bonus that is enough to cover the price, plus a lot more. The thing is that I didn't discuss it with her as this is a rare opportunity (and I may have had a few too many)

We have an agreement that our spending limit is $1000 without discussing it, for special circumstances. However, I feel like this was a very special circumstance and who knows when I'll get the opportunity to buy such a rare bottle again, and for such an occasion! She doesn't know about it yet but I know she'll be mad when she finds out (😬). Which will probably end up costing me another $5k for something special for her.

So AITA or do you think she'll forgive and forget once I explain everything to her?

Edit: I do not plan on drinking it, I plan on storing it correctly and selling it for big profit in the future. It's an investment and a decorative conversation starter for my home bar.

AITA for expecting a refund from DunderCon bc their volunteers told me I could get one day of?

quote:

A couple of weeks ago I attended DunderCon to celebrate my bday. Prior to the event, I purchased over $300 autograph/ selfie vouchers, I know I know rookie move, but it was my bday so I wanted to splurge.

As you may guess, I seriously underestimated the amount of lines there would be at the event. I went with my best friend and we pretty much spent 5-6 hours in lines trying to get these autographs and selfies. We weren’t able to really see or participate in anything else bc we had to stand in these lines. NGL the lines sucked, people were cranky, cutting. This was my first convention but even I could see that it was really not well coordinated. The event organizer even went around apologizing to customers.

Aside from the insane lines, we still had fun. We did get to meet some actors who were amazing and got to see cosplays and really just made the best of it. After being on lines for 6 hours, I was pretty exhausted. so while my friend held my place in line I went to the check in table to inquire about refunds because after all that time I still hadn’t seen the majority of the actors I got vouchers for. They were very nice, gave me an email to contact and asked me to add my email and list the actors I wasn’t able to see on a paper that was clearly labeled Refunds. On the sheet I saw other customers’ emails with the names of actors so I clearly wasn’t the only person making this request. They told me that I could send an email and they will send me a refund.

I sent an email explained the situation and requested my refund. After a couple of follow up emails, a guy named Ed responded saying he could only give me a refund for Leslie Davis Jr. since he ended up no showing but the refunds for the other actors were not possible since they were all there and stayed until everyone got their autographs/selfies. When I tried to explain my side, he referred me to a no refund policy on the website and denied my request.

Here’s my frustration, if I had been told about this policy when I inquired about refunds the day of or if I had left without inquiring, I would understand. But I did inquire and was told the complete opposite. When I told Ed this, he told me that the people who I spoke to in pink shirts were volunteers not staff and they probably thought I was inquiring about Leslie Davis Jr.

They did not think that because they literally had me list the actors I was getting a refund for.

I did not know they were volunteers, I assumed they were staff bc they looked like staff.

Even if they were volunteers, I highly doubt that they would’ve taken it upon themselves to approve and track refunds without someone of authority telling them to.

This Ed guy isn’t budging and I’m out $250. This whole situation has really soured the whole experience for me. I get that it was their first year, I would even get the refund policy speech if I hadn’t been told I’d get a refund the day of. Idk maybe I am TA but I don’t think I am

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 26, 2022

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I hope that dumb fucker drops the bottle

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I hope you trip while drunk and end up breaking your stupid-rear end bottle of booze while otherwise uninjured.
e;fb

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Cerekk posted:

99% of wedding planning is figuring out how to make things perfect for the bride, the remaining 1% is that the groom gets to pick the groomsmen. He's 100% NTA and if he gives in here his new wife will be demanding he cut off his friend shortly thereafter.

sorry loving what no this is insane

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Oh my god why does this exist

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

So what if my best friends are poo poo people who cheat on their partners, who am I to judge?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Pappy isn't even that amazing, but if there's one group of people willing to buy it at markup years from now it's booze wierdos. Ideally it'll be bought by some guy with the same idea and the circle of life will complete itself.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
AITA for eating my cupcake outside?

quote:

I have a 10 years old daughter who loves frosting. Every week I buy cupcakes for me, my wife and her and she always eats my frosting. These past few weeks I decided to eat my cupcake before going inside. She asked me where my cupcake is and I told her I don't like cupcakes anymore so I only bought two. It worked for a while but last night when I was enjoying my cupcake before going inside she caught me and ran to her mom to tell her how much of a Terrible dad I am to "steal her frostings for weeks"

She is sulking and my wife thinks I'm the ah and I'm acting childish and should just let her have it but it's easy for her to say when she has never given up HER frosting. AITA?

Edit: everyone is taking this very seriously lol. My daughter is not an entitled spoiled brat. Honestly I think she doesn't even love frosting that much she only does it to annoy me. I made this post because my wife likes this sub so I wanted to show her that I'm not the ah

Edit2: a lot happened since I posted here.

My wife is getting a divorce. She says she can't live with a liar. Cps came to our home to take our child away. They said we are terrible parents for letting our child eat frosting but by the time they got here our daughter wasn't home why? Because the cops came and arrested her for stealing a car. They said frosting thieves always become car thieves so there is no need waiting. She should go to jail asap. When she got there she called me and said she is going nc because I lied to her and she can't trust me anymore. Meanwhile we are getting calls from her friends telling us horror stories about our daughter bullying them. Our life is ruined. All because of a cupcake

Nahhh lol

So my daughter and I had a serious conversation about this problem and we came to an agreement. She said she'll stop stealing my frostings if I stop stealing her chips so we're good

XD

Edit3: some people clearly didn't realize second edit was a joke because I keep getting "no this didn't happen its fake" messages. Yeah geniuses you are right

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Danaru posted:

Oh my god why does this exist

Lmao, I thought to myself, "it can't possibly be what I think it is," and it loving was! LOL

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
A :3: story!

I ducked my boyfriends jeep without him knowing because he was sad he hadn't got a duck yet.

quote:

So the title probably sounds really odd but let me explain.

In the jeep owners community, there is a thing called ducking. The term is "duck duck jeep". Jeep owners leave a small rubber duck on another jeep. Ducks are often left with a note, telling the owner they’ve been ducked and they have to pass the duck along. Jeep owners say it’s a source of pride to find one of the ducks on their car. The trend has gained so much popularity lately and is often posted on Facebook groups for jeep owners and my boyfriend has told me about it many times.

He's had a rough time lately with work and I just wanted to see him smile. I knew he wouldn't be ducked by another jeep owner as there aren't many jeeps in our area but I knew it would make his day if he got one.

So I purchased a rubber duck with some cool accessories and made a plan to leave it on his car. I even got my brother in on it so he wouldn't suspect it was me.

The day came and my brother left the duck on the car as we went swimming, and he found it on our way back out.

Guys

His face lit up. He even did a little happy dance, and wouldn't stop smiling the whole way home. As soon as we got home he was posting his duck in all the groups for other jeep owners to see.

He doesn't know it was me and I don't have the heart to tell him. I want him to enjoy this little bit of happiness for as long as it lasts.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

I ducked my boyfriends jeep without him knowing because he was sad he hadn't got a duck yet.

I mean, the activity of duck duck jeep sounds completely made up and your boyfriend seems a little odd, but thank you for making santa claus real

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Pomme de Terror posted:

AITA for eating my cupcake outside?

I wish all AITA posts were like this

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Barudak posted:

I mean, the activity of duck duck jeep sounds completely made up and your boyfriend seems a little odd, but thank you for making santa claus real

It's real, I dunno why jeep owners are weird in that way, but they are. It's still a :3: story though.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
I've had mostly jeeps for like twenty years and while I've never seen this particular thing, that whole community does get a bit weird. Getting cornered by someone at a farmers fruit stand because you too happen to have a wrangler or something is a startle.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

NTA but like, it's a game of diminishing returns the instant you bring it up. That's what sucks about recommending media. If they don't latch, you can't force 'em, even your SO, and every second you try just makes it worse. Don't get me wrong, the boyfriend needs to nut up and take his literary medicine here--it's one of those super unfair things that shouldn't be the way that it is, but is.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Evil Willow posted:

I ducked my boyfriends jeep...

I thought that was an autocorrect error and was expecting the worst.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'd be so worried they let the air out of the tires or something, too much exposure to the bad side of prank culture (which is most of it). "I ducked with your Jeep, man!"

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Synnr posted:

I've had mostly jeeps for like twenty years and while I've never seen this particular thing, that whole community does get a bit weird. Getting cornered by someone at a farmers fruit stand because you too happen to have a wrangler or something is a startle.

I don't have one but I drive my dad's when I visit him and Jeep owners are weird. I've had so many "Jeep Waves" and I don't understand why they give a poo poo that I am also driving one.

I also usually blank them, because I forget it's a thing every time.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Cowslips Warren posted:

boyfriend ADHD, so what

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for purchasing a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle out of the joint savings account with my spouse?

Why did this genius not wait for the bonus to buy that overpriced bottle of alcohol with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

I hope that dumb fucker drops the bottle

I hope he'll have some dumbfuck houseguest over and wake up to find the bottle opened and a bunch of glasses of it sitting around because the guest opened it, didn't like the taste, and tried mixing it with coke, orange juice, or whatever else before giving up and pouring the rest down the drain.

That, or they have kids and the first time they leave them alone as teenagers that poo poo's getting opened by a bunch of 15-year-olds who'll spend the rest of the night puking it up.