Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

That helps the domain deck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Please tell me there's enemy ones so I can have a 4th Island Mountain, thank you.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Yes yes yes yes yes

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Please tell me there's enemy ones so I can have a 4th Island Mountain, thank you.

There's all ten of them yeah

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Yes, full cycle of 10

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Standard Legal:

Not Standard Legal:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Standard legal impulse is nice. I think this adds it to Modern for the first time too?

I'm torn on Ertai. He's very similar to Venser Shaper Savant which was pretty good in standard 15 years ago, but the differences change a lot and the game is radically different too.

Also Holy gently caress I'm old :negative:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lone Goat posted:

There's all ten of them yeah

TacoNight posted:

Yes, full cycle of 10

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Elyv posted:

Standard Legal:

Not Standard Legal:

Kinda nice Merfolk, I don't think Modern / Legacy would play it but they should have had the option.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

That's cool they made a barely legally distinct Mobile Oppression Palace. :zoid:

Also hilarious lore wise that the Mana Rig is one of the main culprits that caused Powerstone Radiation poisoning/Phthisis and they're still using it.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 25, 2022

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Elyv posted:

Standard Legal:

I like it.

It isn't good. But, I like it.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

the most important thing this set of cards tells us is that the average badger can beat the average bear in a fight

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I think Urza Assembles is better than it looks - the floor is 'search the top four cards of your library for a Planeswalker' and the average result and ceiling are a lot higher than that. Read ahead gives it a lot of flexibility.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Elyv posted:

the most important thing this set of cards tells us is that the average badger can beat the average bear in a fight

Clearly they're Redwall badgers.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Is it me or is this just chock full of insanely good cards?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Elyv posted:

It's been 25 years but I think I remember that badger being a house in the books

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Heck yeah kobolds and wurm tokens

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

babypolis posted:

Is it me or is this just chock full of insanely good cards?

Yeah this is one of the most exciting sets power level wise in a while imo

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

badger token

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I knew I remembered a card for it.

Wow, major flavor fail Wizards, wtf, it's not a 3/3 badger

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I remember Greensleeves from the novels...

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
How is that badger as strong as an elephant. That badger can kill a knight.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

neaden posted:

How is that badger as strong as an elephant. That badger can kill a knight.

Block a 3/3 as a 4/4

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Elyv posted:

Standard Legal:

Okay, so, the thing about Urza assembling the "Nine Titans" to invade Phyrexia is that he was deliberately counting on one of them betraying and murdering some of the others. Because of some absolutely demented utilitarian logic, that was so Urza could morally justify executing a planeswalker (with a "kill rubric" he planted in everyone's giant mechs, which they all used despite being immortal godlike shapeshifters) and using his spark to fuel a bomb that would destroy Phyrexia.

Except when he actually got to the core of Phyrexia, he decided it was so beautiful that he immediately switched sides and started murdering everyone else. With said "kill rubrics".

So I'm not sure that "activate their loyalty abilities twice this turn" really captures what happened here, is what I'm saying.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Urza was hosed up

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Strong Sauce posted:

badger token

https://youtu.be/hGlyFc79BUE

badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

whydirt posted:

Urza was hosed up

They left that part out of the stories

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Okay, so, the thing about Urza assembling the "Nine Titans" to invade Phyrexia is that he was deliberately counting on one of them betraying and murdering some of the others. Because of some absolutely demented utilitarian logic, that was so Urza could morally justify executing a planeswalker (with a "kill rubric" he planted in everyone's giant mechs, which they all used despite being immortal godlike shapeshifters) and using his spark to fuel a bomb that would destroy Phyrexia.

Except when he actually got to the core of Phyrexia, he decided it was so beautiful that he immediately switched sides and started murdering everyone else. With said "kill rubrics".

So I'm not sure that "activate their loyalty abilities twice this turn" really captures what happened here, is what I'm saying.

lmao

yeah the original line of sagas managed to capture the events fairly well in rules text. These ones... not so much.

fake edit: then again did anyone actually survive to tell anyone what happened there? This may be the bad historian version of events because all they saw was 9 planeswalkers charge into phyrexia and then the place stop existing or w/e

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Urzas head came back to dominaria right? Maybe he spent a billion years saying he was just stoned on phyrexian oil and it was just a phase

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

well, you see, this is merely the process of assembling the titans, rather than the attack on phyrexia

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Actually it would kind of be interesting if the people who made it back specifically hid that urza turned evil and talked him up as a hero.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mandatory lesbian posted:

Actually it would kind of be interesting if the people who made it back specifically hid that urza turned evil and talked him up as a hero.

He’s the hero Dominaria deserves… but not the one it needs right now

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Elyv posted:

Standard Legal:

Not Standard Legal:

Those Green legends are kinda cool, disappointing that they won't be in the main set.

Mana Rig is weird but fits the overly complicated artifact that no one understands how to use properly theme of Thran stuff.

The Shortest Path posted:

lmao

yeah the original line of sagas managed to capture the events fairly well in rules text. These ones... not so much.

fake edit: then again did anyone actually survive to tell anyone what happened there? This may be the bad historian version of events because all they saw was 9 planeswalkers charge into phyrexia and then the place stop existing or w/e

IIRC 3 or 4 of the 9 survive - Windgrace, Freyalise, the blue/red one and I think also the old guy? Don't know that any of them would have incentive to shelter Urza's rep but they probably also wouldn't care to malign it.

Also I think Gerrard had to explain to Sisay and Tarngarth why he was carrying around Urza's detached head, so definitely a handful of people knew that he'd gone off the rails.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

mandatory lesbian posted:

His Saga seems to be well-liked

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

A saga is just a story. And on Dominaria they teach Urza's lost cause, and how at the time the nine titans was the only option and Tesh Svat's noble sacrifice...

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Well, picked up my two cards for preorder from the set: the elf lord and the white enchantment boardwipe

Pretty excited as I think the elf will be super good for modern elves (the deck is probably still not very good tho), and the enchantment boardwipe just slots right into enchantress

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That’s the same thing the Chain Veil does, which also made a planeswalker turn evil(er). Ergo…

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Ok now I’m super pumped for the limited format knowing all ten typed dual lands are in it, hell yeah

I will also absolutely force the Defender Matters deck even if it sucks (it’ll probably suck)

Mike N Eich fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 26, 2022

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Shuffle your library afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Shuffle your library afterwards.