Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Its like a 3 minute snippet of what the entire show could have and should have been like. Harmonious isn't very good either. I'm hoping they realize their folly and both of these shows have a short run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
The more I watch Harmonious, the more I like it. Especially if you’re with a group who does a big bouncy song fest during it - which elevates.

Glad they finally acknowledged a little history for the 50th - it’s about dang time.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
It’s still hilarious to me that the amazing show they came up with for the 50th anniversary fireworks is just all around worse than Happily Ever After, and didn’t at all focus on the history of Disney World. If anything, it even focused way too much on newer IP. No idea how any of that got approved.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I might be in the minority here, but I just like cool fireworks and big special effects so I'm pretty impressed with whatever show they spit out but hey that's just me. We saw harmonious and I was wowed
:shrug:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Enchantment is a step up in projection and firework tech/spectacle, but worse in every other way. The music, the themes, the “story”, all pretty bland and meaningless. It has none of the heart of wishes or HEA.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Likewise, Harmonious is obviously impressive from a technical standpoint, but the show lacks any sort of pacing, flow, or energy. It also lacks any real message, it's just a Disney sing-a-long that just barely passes for World Showcase because they did the songs in different languages. It's 20 minutes long, yet by the 5 minute mark you've seen everything it's going to do. With both Harmonious and Enchantment, you could take any individual segment and swap it out with something else and nothing would be lost, because there's no flow and the segments are not connected.

IllumiNations was literally one long orchestra piece followed by a closing song. Wishes had a very strong overarching theme that was continually emphasized by Jiminy Cricket's narrating and the tracks were a flowing arrangement of classic songs rather than one-by-one segments. Happily Ever After was more segmented than Wishes, but still carried a strong overarching theme and structure.

These things make the difference between "oooh, pretty fireworks!" and something that moves you emotionally, and consequently both current shows are extremely forgettable.

Oh, and the overemphasis on recent IP is annoying, too. Wishes was all the timeless stuff, AKA quintessential "Disney". Enchantment comes off as marketing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I can’t believe they didn’t do a timeline progression starting with all black and white projections, no colored pyrotechnics, etc and move to the modern era before having a big finale that brings it all together. It’s so obvious and would be great.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Overemphasis on recent IP has been a Disney World thing forever, it was just less annoying to millennials when the park was flooded with Lion King stuff (much is still around) because it was ours compared to stuff we've only seen through the prism of adulthood.

Weirdly, thanks to being the rump of the two parks in budget and corporate focus, Disneyland had more classic/Walt era concepts for a long time. Though now we're heading to our third IP for the treehouse while Florida still has the original theme. Magic Kingdom now feels more like "a Walt park" (although a badly mismanaged one) than the one he hung his hat on.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Aug 24, 2022

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Likewise, Harmonious is obviously impressive from a technical standpoint, but the show lacks any sort of pacing, flow, or energy. It also lacks any real message, it's just a Disney sing-a-long that just barely passes for World Showcase because they did the songs in different languages. It's 20 minutes long, yet by the 5 minute mark you've seen everything it's going to do.

Yep. IllumiNations did this by bringing out The Globe halfway through and going nuts with the fire/waterworks in the finale. If they busted out some drones at the climax of Enchantment like everybody thought they would, it wouldn't have nearly as much negativity as its getting. It's bewildering-- they have the tech, they have the money-- it seems like a no brainer and they just threw some (pretty impressive) projections on Main Street (where nobody is looking) and called it a day.

But in my opinion: Who did pacing, effects, and ramping up even better? Animal Kingdom 's Rivers of Light. It's built as a classic 3-movement story, and the effects and props kept getting crazier and more elaborate as the show went on, culminating in the lotus flower tower with fire and water everywhere. I fuckin love that show.

...Which probably cost a lot and led to its end. But I consider myself fortunate. I started dating my Disney-fan wife in 2015, so I got to see the end of Wishes AND the sweet spot where HEA, IllumiNations, and Rivers of Light were all running at the same time, up to seeing one of the last nights of IllumiNations on our honeymoon and the last run of Rivers with the Lion King add-on in 2020 just before everything shut down.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Craptacular! posted:

Overemphasis on recent IP has been a Disney World thing forever, it was just less annoying to millennials when the park was flooded with Lion King stuff (much is still around) because it was ours compared to stuff we've only seen through the prism of adulthood.

Weirdly, thanks to being the rump of the two parks in budget and corporate focus, Disneyland had more classic/Walt era concepts for a long time. Though now we're heading to our third IP for the treehouse while Florida still has the original theme. Magic Kingdom now feels more like "a Walt park" (although a badly mismanaged one) than the one he hung his hat on.
I never noticed it when I was there as a kid, but the last trip really made it obvious how much Star Wars stuff is everywhere now. And I like Star Wars! It was the whole reason I was there! It's just getting a bit much to see the same merch everywhere I guess.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

To be fair, Star Wars is now pretty much absent from MK and Animal Kingdom. That store next to Tomorrowland Terrace used to be full of Star Wars merch and now you can only get like, a Mickey-themed lightsaber knockoff I think?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I think they meant Star Wars is all over Disneyland, since I ended my post talking about that park. There you get not only a Galaxy's Edge behind Frontierland, but a Star Tours in Tomorrowland that's been there a long time, but now also Star Wars promotional seasons where they change the projections in Space Mountain to add X-Wings and stuff. So Tomorrowland turns into a sort of honorary Star Wars land additionally to Galaxy's Edge.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Craptacular! posted:

I think they meant Star Wars is all over Disneyland, since I ended my post talking about that park. There you get not only a Galaxy's Edge behind Frontierland, but a Star Tours in Tomorrowland that's been there a long time, but now also Star Wars promotional seasons where they change the projections in Space Mountain to add X-Wings and stuff. So Tomorrowland turns into a sort of honorary Star Wars land additionally to Galaxy's Edge.

Oh I got ya.

But drat, you reminded me of how awesome the Hollywood Studios Star Wars fireworks show was. I never did see Phantasmic because getting electrocuted by the emperor and shot by Starkiller Base always seemed way more :krad:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Craptacular! posted:

No, I mean Disney World. I found plenty of the same merch all along Main Street USA, bits in Tomorrowland, and over in Epcot the Mission Space gift shop still, for some reason, has stuff you couldn't find anywhere else in the parks. Hollywood Studios is as saturated as ever, even before taking Galaxy's Edge into account. The only thing I remember spotting in Animal Kingdom was the Collector Pack blind bagged figures, but I definitely got the last few I needed from the Rebels and Force Awakens sets on Discovery Island there. Disney Springs even has two separate Star Wars shops.

Maybe the supply issues just meant they had an awful lot of Star Wars merch and not much else to fill shelves with back in March? :shrug:

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
The Mall of America theme park is really charming. They park. A lot of rides into a small space. There’s a high speed people mover and the log flume ride is goddamn top tier.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Without turning this into an E/N thread, the last time I went to Disney was with someone and it was magical, then that relationship ended so all my Disney memories are kinda bittersweet now. I went to Universal two years ago after they thought a Hurricane was gonna wreck it so it was pretty insane and empty. Regardless, been considering going back to Disney for myself but also because I shouldn't let that past control me...any advice for doing Disney stag? Is it even worth it? I used to stay at the all-star resorts because of the cost but might be nice to stay are a little nicer place. Terrible idea? Great idea? Thoughts? I am a little turned off since it sounds like all the new use the app to get rides and pick a park and not be able to hop like crazy are kinda ruined now but still, lots of new stuff.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I went through your exact scenario, granted years ago. It was tough but it made me fall in love with the parks all over again. Single rider is a huge advantage to get a lot done, and maybe a paid lightning lane here and there for the newer stuff. You can still park hop after 2pm as well. Go for it!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Elendil004 posted:

Without turning this into an E/N thread, the last time I went to Disney was with someone and it was magical, then that relationship ended so all my Disney memories are kinda bittersweet now. I went to Universal two years ago after they thought a Hurricane was gonna wreck it so it was pretty insane and empty. Regardless, been considering going back to Disney for myself but also because I shouldn't let that past control me...any advice for doing Disney stag? Is it even worth it? I used to stay at the all-star resorts because of the cost but might be nice to stay are a little nicer place. Terrible idea? Great idea? Thoughts? I am a little turned off since it sounds like all the new use the app to get rides and pick a park and not be able to hop like crazy are kinda ruined now but still, lots of new stuff.
I went by myself in 2019 because I wanted to see Galaxy's Edge, I'm an adult and could afford it, and I didn't need a third reason. Had a great time. Go by yourself. Have fun. Enjoy the single-rider lines, except maybe not Millenium Falcon because single-rider gets Engineer every goddamn time.

Regarding hotels; Disney's axed so many of the benefits that unless you're a $400/night moneybags, I'd strongly suggest either a Good Neighbor or completely throwing it over and staying at something that's just across the street from Disney Springs and only costs like $50/night max.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

CapnAndy posted:

I went by myself in 2019 because I wanted to see Galaxy's Edge, I'm an adult and could afford it, and I didn't need a third reason. Had a great time. Go by yourself. Have fun. Enjoy the single-rider lines, except maybe not Millenium Falcon because single-rider gets Engineer every goddamn time.

Regarding hotels; Disney's axed so many of the benefits that unless you're a $400/night moneybags, I'd strongly suggest either a Good Neighbor or completely throwing it over and staying at something that's just across the street from Disney Springs and only costs like $50/night max.

Yeah no, sorry, even the lovely hotels in Orlando, much less the ones by DS don't even come close to costing $50 a night. Even your run of the mill Comfort Suites across town is gonna be at minimum $100 - $150 a night.

My suggestion would be to get a room at Disney just for convenience if you can afford it. It'll just make your life easier from purely a transportation standpoint. Not all hotels in the area are running shuttles like they used to.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

CapnAndy posted:

Forgot to mention. I can do shades of green does anyone have experience with that? Any other disabled vet benefits I can take advantage of?

edit: With single rider lines do you still fux with the other stuff or if you go off peak and single ride is that decent enough?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Elendil004 posted:

Forgot to mention. I can do shades of green does anyone have experience with that? Any other disabled vet benefits I can take advantage of?

edit: With single rider lines do you still fux with the other stuff or if you go off peak and single ride is that decent enough?

You can probably get discounted tickets either from the military base or onsite at Shades of Green.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Braksgirl posted:

Yeah no, sorry, even the lovely hotels in Orlando, much less the ones by DS don't even come close to costing $50 a night. Even your run of the mill Comfort Suites across town is gonna be at minimum $100 - $150 a night.
Okay, fair, I misremembered where it is -- it's right by the All-Star resorts, not DS, but... there's a $35/night Knights Inn. I'm sure you don't get much for your money beyond a bed that has probably had its sheets washed, but.. it's there! There's also a Quality Inn right next to it that's $80/night.

Elendil004 posted:

I don't know what "fux with the other stuff" means? What're you asking?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

On a related note, there's been a big bed bug outbreak going around here in Central FL originating from Royale Caribbean cruises then making there way to Orlando hotels. Some of the Disney resorts have been in hardcore crisis mode handling it but I would not expect the same from cheap hotels. That's probably a permanent given though...? Freaks me out though, we had cousins on one of those cruises and they had some nasty bite marks.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

CapnAndy posted:

I don't know what "fux with the other stuff" means? What're you asking?

Sorry I meant like there's the new fastpass type thing you pay for and use the app for but unless I am misreading there's some other type line skips? I know it's in the thread. Park hoppers just after 2 and have to pick your park for the first bits?

Is the meal plan stuff still a thing and worth it? Do single attendees have a better chance of getting a park or is it just an they allow in x numbers for park passes and take your chances?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Elendil004 posted:

Sorry I meant like there's the new fastpass type thing you pay for and use the app for but unless I am misreading there's some other type line skips? I know it's in the thread. Park hoppers just after 2 and have to pick your park for the first bits?

Is the meal plan stuff still a thing and worth it? Do single attendees have a better chance of getting a park or is it just an they allow in x numbers for park passes and take your chances?
Okay, so. The new app is a mess and hard to recommend. If you used Fastpass before, it's that, except you can't make any reservations ahead of time, the best rides aren't on it (they're an extra a la carte charge that's available to anyone), and it's not free, so... yeah. Single-rider is a thing done on four rides -- Test Track, Rock 'N Roller Coaster, Expedition Everest, and Millenium Falcon -- where if you're by yourself or don't mind your party being broken up, you get to use the same priority lines as the line-skippers. Genie+, the paid lineskip thing, offers access to a lot more than four rides, of course.

Park Hopper is after 2 and you have to pick your initial park, yes. Also, you can't hop to a full park.

Meal plan is not currently a thing and it is not worth it unless you can get it at a discounted rate. I can go into detail about this if anyone says different, but as it's a moot point right now, meh.

They just allow in X people per day per park, so single attendees do have a better chance of getting in, just because there's only one of you. That said, apart from the peak times when you shouldn't be going there anyway, park passes are almost always available.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Get drunk as balls, go on every ride, and punch Mickey in the face

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Elendil004 posted:

I wish I could do a Disney trip solo. You can go at your own pace and do literally whatever you want to do. No having to wait on anyone or worry about what someone else wants to do. Go for it.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

drat, Genie+ seems like the obvious choice. Shame about the dining plan not existing. Seems like with so much going on the phone I gotta lug around a phone charge brick.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Elendil004 posted:

drat, Genie+ seems like the obvious choice. Shame about the dining plan not existing. Seems like with so much going on the phone I gotta lug around a phone charge brick.

Yes that is an unfortunate side effect of Genie+. You really do end up tied to your phone constantly checking wait times and making reservations.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Going to theme parks solo is great as long as you can just not give a gently caress, but personally I'd go to a non-Disney park at the moment, especially with Epcot still being heavily under construction (assuming you're talking World and not -land).

There's some great ones out there that get overlooked, like Dollywood in Tennessee, Busch Gardens and Kings Dominion in Virginia, or if you're looking at upscale spending already, taking a hop across the pond and spending a couple of days in London and taking a day trip to Alton Towers.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Go big, get a room at the Poly, spend every day at a park and end every night at Trader Sam’s I did that literally right before the pandemic and it was incredible.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Don't bother with the single rider line for Rock'n'Roller Coaster. When I was there last month it was always longer than the standby line. I don't know if that's just a summer thing, but the other rides with single rider queues didn't have that problem

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Icedude posted:

Don't bother with the single rider line for Rock'n'Roller Coaster. When I was there last month it was always longer than the standby line. I don't know if that's just a summer thing, but the other rides with single rider queues didn't have that problem

Last time I was there the single rider line wasn't even open sometimes, most likely due to what you mentioned.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
RnR’s single rider line is also notorious for having families enter the line together and then get made when they aren’t allowed to be on the same limo.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
I saw entire school groups showing up and having like 30+ teenagers crowd into it at once expecting to get seated together, somehow :psyduck:

On the plus side it was kind of fun to watch the inevitable last person standing in the queue get mocked from the limo by all their friends.

Elendil004 posted:

The dining plan rarely worked out in your favour when it was a thing anyway, and you lose all the flexibility that being there solo gets you.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Braksgirl posted:

My suggestion would be to get a room at Disney just for convenience if you can afford it. It'll just make your life easier from purely a transportation standpoint. Not all hotels in the area are running shuttles like they used to.

RIP the Knights Inn on 192 next to the Ramada, we survived a hurricane in there for $40

e: lmao I scrolled down and someone mentioned it, guess it’s still there! Ramada closed ages ago though, a shame, they had a good breakfast buffet.

I wish I could remember which hotel we stayed in as a kid that had a vending machine for renting porno on VHS.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 26, 2022

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yes that is an unfortunate side effect of Genie+. You really do end up tied to your phone constantly checking wait times and making reservations.
Even before Genie+, WDW's unofficial slogan might as well have been "hope you like your phone's screen". The phone is your map, the phone is how you order at quick service (if you're smart, so be smart), the phone is how you check wait times, it's always Phone O'Clock.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

CapnAndy posted:

Even before Genie+, WDW's unofficial slogan might as well have been "hope you like your phone's screen". The phone is your map, the phone is how you order at quick service (if you're smart, so be smart), the phone is how you check wait times, it's always Phone O'Clock.

Everything at Disneyland is on the app, they are even phasing out in-person cast compliments and lost & found requests. You have to do it all on the app.

I have a 5 year old smartphone and I can't even download the app anymore. I don't have access to my pass, I was told by numerous castmembers that I have to take a screenshot from someone else's phone and use that instead. And I can't use that for discounts, just admission. Disney really isn't for the poor/middle class.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Disney has never been for the poor but that also sounds like some extraordinarily unusual phone planning, given that the required systems run on 5-6 year old phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Craptacular! posted:

Disney has never been for the poor but that also sounds like some extraordinarily unusual phone planning, given that the required systems run on 5-6 year old phones.

I can't even get the Amazon app anymore, I tried to open it a few days ago and it said something like "this app is no longer supported on this phone" and shut down.

I just think replacing a perfectly good smartphone for a few apps is nuts. I need the high end smartphone equivalent of a jitterbug.