Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
Wow that first episode of She-Hulk is really good. It is probably my favorite of all the marvel’s show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Second She-Hulk episode is great too. Tim Roth is awesome.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 25, 2022

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
she-hulk:

:hmmyes:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Second episode just like the first one, so if they can keep the "fun legal comedy where heroine just happens to be giant green superhero" vibe going they'll have the nice mid-level crowd pleaser they were aiming for here.

Also, when Jen is looking up alternate career paths, the two related articles you can see on the side of the webpage are both easter eggs. One is an Eternals nod. The other is about a man with metal claws fighting in a bar brawl.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Oh poo poo I missed that

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Is the Ed Norton Hulk movie decent? I'm sure I don't need to see it for She-Hulk but I do love me some Tim Roth.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Skwirl posted:

Is the Ed Norton Hulk movie decent? I'm sure I don't need to see it for She-Hulk but I do love me some Tim Roth.

The first act is really good, the rest is ehhh. Tim Roth honestly isn't in that much of it. Also it's not on D+ because Universal was the distributor.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Skwirl posted:

"Decent" is exactly the word. It doesn't rise to even being good, but it sure is a movie where the Hulk punches dudes.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I really liked Incredible Hulk and I'm sad how much of what it was setting up got left to rot.

I like where they've taken the character now and what Ruffalo does with the current incarnation, but I do wonder what things would have been like if Norton had remained or if they kept Hulk as a monster for a little bit longer.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Jamesman posted:

I really liked Incredible Hulk and I'm sad how much of what it was setting up got left to rot.

I like where they've taken the character now and what Ruffalo does with the current incarnation, but I do wonder what things would have been like if Norton had remained or if they kept Hulk as a monster for a little bit longer.

You know, I’ve thought about this a lot — an alternate timeline where Incredible Hulk was the breakout film instead of Iron Man back in 2008 — and I LOVE Norton as an actor. But in his entire career he’s never once done a sequel. I mean, he’s been in other peoples sequels, but he’s never appeared twice in a franchise. Either he has no interest, or he really is miserable to work with. Either way, I can’t picture a series of Norton-Led MCU flicks. Replacing him was likely inevitable.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Norton is notoriously miserable to work with and was apparently really awful during Hulk. He had script control and kept turning in constant rewrites all through shooting, he went around claiming sole credit for the writing (the WGA disagreed and gave him none), and so on.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Yakmouth posted:

You know, I’ve thought about this a lot — an alternate timeline where Incredible Hulk was the breakout film instead of Iron Man back in 2008 — and I LOVE Norton as an actor. But in his entire career he’s never once done a sequel. I mean, he’s been in other peoples sequels, but he’s never appeared twice in a franchise. Either he has no interest, or he really is miserable to work with. Either way, I can’t picture a series of Norton-Led MCU flicks. Replacing him was likely inevitable.

Where the movies go with Ruffalo's Banner and Hulk seems like a natural enough progression, but I just would have enjoyed getting there a bit more slowly and seeing more of what we were given from Norton's Banner and the monstrous, primal Hulk shown there.

Also more Liv Tyler/Betty Ross stuff. Felt so weird to me how that character completely vanished.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i think incredible hulk is a pretty good watch. Norton, Tyler, Roth and Nelson all put in good performances and the midpoint battle against super soldier blonsky is cool. also it makes general Ross' future appearances as the secretary of state real funny because he's a huge piece of poo poo from the jump and it's like yeah of course this guy would fail upwards

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I really liked Incredible Hulk and was kind of bummed that there wasn't more movies like it. It seemed like Marvel was still figuring their poo poo out between Hulk and Iron Man and which route to take went the Iron Man way which is why you don't really get a brooding introspective Banner anymore like you did in the Hulk movie.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

CapnAndy posted:

Norton is notoriously miserable to work with and was apparently really awful during Hulk. He had script control and kept turning in constant rewrites all through shooting, he went around claiming sole credit for the writing (the WGA disagreed and gave him none), and so on.

Yeah, I mean the stories have been out there at least since American History X, where he refused to promote the film because he didn’t like how the trailers were cut (I’m working from memory here, but it was something like that). It’s just such a shame because I really do think he’s brilliant. Like, I have NO trouble believing that a Norton/Leterrier cut would have been more interesting than the one we got (I liked IH btw, but I think it could have been less generic).

Jamesman posted:

Where the movies go with Ruffalo's Banner and Hulk seems like a natural enough progression, but I just would have enjoyed getting there a bit more slowly and seeing more of what we were given from Norton's Banner and the monstrous, primal Hulk shown there.

Also more Liv Tyler/Betty Ross stuff. Felt so weird to me how that character completely vanished.

I find the disconnect pretty jarring, tbh. Norton’s Hulk had an intensity and drive that Ruffalo’s Hulk just doesn’t. I’m not trying to compare quality one way or the other, but I have trouble believing that they’re playing the same character.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Incredible Hulk is definitely worth a watch. It's not the greatest movie in the MCU or anything but it's still entertaining and has some cool moments.

I hope Tim Blake Nelson shows up in She Hulk, be a good season 2 hook and finally tie off that thread. Also because Tim Blake Nelson rules

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

She-Hulk episodes are so short, I wonder why they have them at only 25 minutes. Mind you I do appreciate something that gets in, does what it wants to do then gets out. Far too many shows/films seem to hang around with endless filler.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

bessantj posted:

She-Hulk episodes are so short, I wonder why they have them at only 25 minutes. Mind you I do appreciate something that gets in, does what it wants to do then gets out. Far too many shows/films seem to hang around with endless filler.

PM me :forkbomb:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Oh no, I'm not having my house robbed again.

Back to She-Hulk I am finding the CG a bit more distracting than I first thought, hopefully I'll get used to it by next episode. How many episodes are there?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Yakmouth posted:

I find the disconnect pretty jarring, tbh. Norton’s Hulk had an intensity and drive that Ruffalo’s Hulk just doesn’t. I’m not trying to compare quality one way or the other, but I have trouble believing that they’re playing the same character.

It is sudden, but it's also natural.

Incredible Hulk ends with Banner developing some shared agency with the Hulk, and is seen improving at controlling the transformation. Avengers, we see a Banner that has come a long way since, so he's not as wound up, but his isolation has made him a bit awkward around others. He's still not in completely control and gets triggered to go apeshit, but then we see him demonstrating how far he's come in managing with transforming and sharing agency.

But yeah, I really would have loved an Incredible Hulk 2 that further explored that dynamic and showed more of the process of them getting to where they are by the time Avengers rolls around.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

When they opened the door and Cousin Larry was there as She-Hulk's dad I fell in love with the series a second time. Welcome to the MCU Mark Linn Baker.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

i think incredible hulk is a pretty good watch. Norton, Tyler, Roth and Nelson all put in good performances and the midpoint battle against super soldier blonsky is cool. also it makes general Ross' future appearances as the secretary of state real funny because he's a huge piece of poo poo from the jump and it's like yeah of course this guy would fail upwards

I mean, most real life Secretary of States are giant pieces of poo poo

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jamesman posted:

It is sudden, but it's also natural.

Incredible Hulk ends with Banner developing some shared agency with the Hulk, and is seen improving at controlling the transformation. Avengers, we see a Banner that has come a long way since, so he's not as wound up, but his isolation has made him a bit awkward around others. He's still not in completely control and gets triggered to go apeshit, but then we see him demonstrating how far he's come in managing with transforming and sharing agency.

But yeah, I really would have loved an Incredible Hulk 2 that further explored that dynamic and showed more of the process of them getting to where they are by the time Avengers rolls around.

I would have liked Incredible Hulk 2 because they teased The Leader in Incredible Hulk and I'd like to see him on screen.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Ruffalo has a very different vibe than Norton, which surely would've affected things. I don't see Norton's Bruce and Tony becoming science bros. Or Natasha opening up to him. I can only see Norton yelling at Helena Bonham Carter in Fight Club when I think about it. And it's the same but opposite with Terrence Howard. Cheadle plays Rhodey like an rear end in a top hat whereas Howard played Rhodey like he genuinely loved Tony.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Seeing a lot of people say the news scene in this episode means that this takes place during Shang-Chi AND that Banner flying off back to Sakaar means WW Hulk is coming, which seems reasonable, but that does leave me wondering how long Shang-Chi was at his dad's house and training with the Ta Lo folks, since that ended with Banner being friendly and full-human again. That would sorta blunt the thrust of a World War Hulk movie, knowing he's just fine and chill again later.

Personally my big guess is that we don't get WWHulk, we just get introduced to Skaar and/or Hulkling.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

theironjef posted:

Seeing a lot of people say the news scene in this episode means that this takes place during Shang-Chi AND that Banner flying off back to Sakaar means WW Hulk is coming, which seems reasonable, but that does leave me wondering how long Shang-Chi was at his dad's house and training with the Ta Lo folks, since that ended with Banner being friendly and full-human again. That would sorta blunt the thrust of a World War Hulk movie, knowing he's just fine and chill again later.

Personally my big guess is that we don't get WWHulk, we just get introduced to Skaar and/or Hulkling.

All of Shang-Chi, except for flash backs, could have taken place over 4 days or less. The people you're referencing have little grasp of how long it takes for news to travel.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Yeah, I think the only way the timeline makes sense is if that video makes the news some time after it is shot, after the rest of the events of the movie/credits scene have already occurred, perhaps driven by the news that Blonsky was up for parole.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Wong takes him back to the cell after the fight so the report would have to be from a live feed, and the reporters would already have to be close to the prison, for it to not be an old video.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Skwirl posted:

It's ok, probably my least favorite MCU movie but I haven't actively disliked any of them. Roth is pretty good in it but all you really need to know for She-Hulk is that everything he says to Jen from his cell is technically true.

Edit: I think Bruce being human and in a sling at the end of Shang Chi implies it takes place before the car accident.

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 26, 2022

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
i know there's a few of us here so i'm just gonna say it.

Ang Lee Hulk = Best Hulk. I miss him being cartoonishly green, too

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
She-Hulk so far is pretty dang delightful. I love her asides.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Soonmot posted:

I haven't seen the Ed Norton one, but the Ang Lee Hulk is criminally underrated.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

live with fruit posted:

Wong takes him back to the cell after the fight so the report would have to be from a live feed, and the reporters would already have to be close to the prison, for it to not be an old video.

I don't understand this argument at all.

There's two options. Either Blonski took that trip to Macau really recently, Or it happened some time ago. Either way, obviously someone made a bootleg video of the fight and leaked that to the press. I highly doubt that this was live footage were the particular fight in that Asian underground cage arena made global news.

I will be quite surprised if that fight scene happened after he talked to Jen.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Soonmot posted:

Skwirl posted:

I haven't seen the Ed Norton one, but the Ang Lee Hulk is criminally underrated.
Can one of you please tell me what happened at the end of that movie, then?

To this day I still remember walking out of the theater with my younger brother, seeing him start to open his mouth, and saying "I have no idea either".

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
All I remember is Nick Nolte turned into a tornado or something

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

To this day I still remember walking out of the theater with my younger brother, seeing him start to open his mouth, and saying "I have no idea either".

Banner released all of his anger, which is infinite, into his father who absorbed it in a classic THE POWER IS TOO MUCH maneuver.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nolte was sort of a take on the Absorbing Man in that movie. He wanted all the energy Bruce had because he felt Bruce was wasting it. So just think of it as him absorbing all the gamma from the Hulk.

But then Bruce kept flooding him because of his anger and like Soonmot said, it was too much and destroyed him.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I’ve recently rewatched a large chunk of the Ang Lee Hulk movie and the thing that sticks out the most in retrospect is they went out of their way to make it exceedingly clear that Banner never directly kills anyone in the film. Even in the most mind-bogglingly ludicrous scenarios like when he sends a loving Abrams flying halfway across the California desert.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

He says "You wouldn't like me when I'm angry" and everyone did the Leo pointing meme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I’ve recently rewatched a large chunk of the Ang Lee Hulk movie and the thing that sticks out the most in retrospect is they went out of their way to make it exceedingly clear that Banner never directly kills anyone in the film. Even in the most mind-bogglingly ludicrous scenarios like when he sends a loving Abrams flying halfway across the California desert.

hammer throws a tank and you see a guy climbing out afterwards like gi joe, i loved it

Also: That desert fight is still the best Hulk action scene filmed.