Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Young Justice doesn't underperform. It performs exactly as well as it deserves to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1562558731027525641

someone who is good at finances help me, my media conglomerate is dying

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HVejEB5uVk&t=7s

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DoctorWhat posted:

Young Justice doesn't underperform. It performs exactly as well as it deserves to.

So many timeskips by now it's Old Justice.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

On the one hand, Warner Bros Discovery sucks,
On the other hand, they have Dwayne Johnson and Florence Pugh. Those are good actors.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheRealDonEast/status/1560076154744315905

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

DoctorWhat posted:

Young Justice is the second highest watched and rated animated show on all streaming services. Only Arcane has done better than it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

it's trash

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The 7th Guest posted:

apparently the previous batman cartoon (Beware the Batman) was performing so badly that it was pulled mid-run like a broadcast TV show would be, and was then written off, but that was years ago. even though BTB and B:CC don't share much DNA, zaslav is enough of an idiot that I could see him thinking "oh well that did badly so this will probably do badly too".

Beware never had a chance, it was strangled in its crib. It was doing fine by metrics, but at its 7th episode it was taken off air and the rest of the series ended airing overseas before CN decided finally to do something with it by giving it to Toonami. Where a few weeks into airing there it was suddenly written off.

Back then we noticed a pattern with CN show where stuff they wanted to get rid of would suddenly be taken off air without explanation before being aired in different slots with their return unadvertised with as little attention given to them as possible so they could use that as justification to cancel them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

DoctorWhat posted:

it's trash

Well it has done very well for itself regardless of your feelings.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

It didn't help Beware the Batman it came right after the stellar Brave and the bold.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Beware never had a chance, it was strangled in its crib. It was doing fine by metrics, but at its 7th episode it was taken off air and the rest of the series ended airing overseas before CN decided finally to do something with it by giving it to Toonami. Where a few weeks into airing there it was suddenly written off.

Back then we noticed a pattern with CN show where stuff they wanted to get rid of would suddenly be taken off air without explanation before being aired in different slots with their return unadvertised with as little attention given to them as possible so they could use that as justification to cancel them.

I remember when Steven Universe would air outside of the US weeks or months before the US CN because of CN's stupid Steven Bombs. My roommate and I would watch the episodes as they came out every week and then skip when the released on US CN.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well it has done very well for itself regardless of your feelings.

love a show where orion has space autism because his dad is darkseid.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
"character has emotional control issues because his father is the avatar of evil" maybe isn't the sick burn you envisioned it to be?

The last two seasons of YJ were great and it sucks I won't get any more development of The Light V Darkseid

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

"guy has emotional control issues because his dad is the avatar of evil" is one thing. "autism mom is scared of her own autistic son because orion reads as autistic to her" is another thing. Bafflingly clumsy metaphor that treats autism as a spectacle/teaching moment instead of with real dignity.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Young Justice uses the signifiers of being good instead of actually being good. It has intrigue, but no meaning. It's not fun to look at because the budget is so stunted. Greg Weisman is ideologically opposed to resolving character arcs or building to real conclusions and demands that fans pick fights with social media accounts in order to bail him out of his own cliffhangers. When the show attempts to address real social issues, it either slams face-first into clumsy mutant metaphor bullshit, or takes ten minutes to explain what a pronoun is in low-budget talking-head sequences where half the faces are offscreen, in order to not alienate the subset of its fanbase who are reactionary comic book grognards.

There was solid soap opera material in that first season way back when but it's gotten worse every year since then. Season 3 was about how pizzagate was real.

Also 9/10 black characters are voiced by Khary Peyton or Kevin Michael Richardson because, charitably, they can't afford anybody else. And again, as an autistic man and as a caretaker for autistic kids, I found the entire Orion and Icon plot to be totally wretched.

Anyway YJ hasn't been a kid's show for years so maybe this is the wrong thread.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 26, 2022

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Ok k.o. is on Hulu now.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Also 9/10 black characters are voiced by Khary Peyton or Kevin Michael Richardson because, charitably, they can't afford anybody else.

what do you mean by this? Wouldn't it be EASIER to hire lesser known black voice actors since they WOULDN'T have to pay them as much as KMR?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

KMR and Payton are both already playing main cast characters and the way union voice acting works, they can be tapped for additional voices on a per-episode basis.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

KMR and Payton are both already playing main cast characters and the way union voice acting works, they can be tapped for additional voices on a per-episode basis.

forgive me if i'm still misunderstanding, but the producers don't NEED to hire them for those roles, do they?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

thought this was funny/interesting:

https://twitter.com/jonrog1/status/1562911101649465344
https://twitter.com/jonrog1/status/1562919860144746497

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

forgive me if i'm still misunderstanding, but the producers don't NEED to hire them for those roles, do they?

They're reprising roles they had back when it was a full budget series on Cartoon Network

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

This is how I learn that John Rogers was behind Jackie Chan Adventures lmao

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Rocket's autism plotline seemed more about making her realize she was being an exceedingly lovely parent by trying to excuse her son's behavior as it wasn't conforming to the norm/resisting accomodations that would benefit him. She was more focused on how others perceived him than his specific needs.

But I felt they did A Neurodivergent better with Greg Bugg anyway.

Mr Interweb posted:

My guess is "they're in the studio today, let's give them these extra dozen lines too" kind of thing.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I regret putting off watching the last season of Infinity Train.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

JT Smiley posted:

I regret putting off watching the last season of Infinity Train.

You didn’t miss much honestly, it’s not terrible per se but it’s definitely the weakest of the 4 seasons

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Senerio posted:

This is how I learn that John Rogers was behind Jackie Chan Adventures lmao

Jackie Chan Adventures is 1000% better than a show with that premise had any right to be.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Covok posted:

Jackie Chan Adventures is 1000% better than a show with that premise had any right to be.

What is truly wild is that it's the basically the only successful version of that kind of cartoon they kept trying to make where it's like "Hey, let's make a Mr T cartoon" or whatever. I mean, I'm sure those made money for their investors, but people actually have really fond memories of Jackie Chan adventures and still talk about it. I mean, mostly in the sense that it was way better than it should have been.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah I remember and quite liked that show.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked that the Tarakudo season gave Tohru time to shine as a chi wizard because before they'd been dealing with Chinese demons and sorcerers so they were all Uncle's forte, but Tarakudo was a Japanese demon so Tohru took point because it was his mythology.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Covok posted:

There are two big factors in it's success; 1) unlike a lot of celebrity driven cartoons this wasn't just a callous grab for money, it was something of a passion project for Jackie Chan who had had a life long dream of seeing himself immortalized in animation, and 2) Adelaide Productions during it's 20 years of existence were the nigh undisputed masters of licensed cartoons

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

I Am Fowl posted:

What is truly wild is that it's the basically the only successful version of that kind of cartoon they kept trying to make where it's like "Hey, let's make a Mr T cartoon" or whatever. I mean, I'm sure those made money for their investors, but people actually have really fond memories of Jackie Chan adventures and still talk about it. I mean, mostly in the sense that it was way better than it should have been.

I think it also helps that Jackie Chan actually has a skillset that translates to kid-friendly cartoon action, and his whole stock character personality actually works for the formula. When the first episode has the henchman tell their boss he beat them up with windscreen wipers, you know you're in for a good time.

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked that the Tarakudo season gave Tohru time to shine as a chi wizard because before they'd been dealing with Chinese demons and sorcerers so they were all Uncle's forte, but Tarakudo was a Japanese demon so Tohru took point because it was his mythology.

There was also an episode where Jackie accidentally ends up taking over a mission for the more James Bond style secret agent, of the high-tech spy agency that normally supports them but is out of their depth with magical foes.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Larryb posted:

You didn’t miss much honestly, it’s not terrible per se but it’s definitely the weakest of the 4 seasons

I figured. I watched the first episode or two and decided to just wait till it was all done cause I wasn't really feeling it.

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie
Weirdly, I was in a charity shop yesterday and they had the chicken talisman from Jackie Chan Adventures as a pendant. Kind of regretting not getting it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Larryb posted:

If someone was watching the show from the start nowadays I'd tell them to watch 1 2 4 3, 3's a better ending and 4 can go anywhere.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MikeJF posted:

If someone was watching the show from the start nowadays I'd tell them to watch 1 2 4 3, 3's a better ending and 4 can go anywhere.

Especially since 4’s a prequel and doesn’t really have any straight connection to the others (though I imagine they might have bridged the gap had the show been allowed to keep going as planned)

But yeah, Book 3 definitely feels like a better note to end on

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I appreciated in JCA was how they used foreshadowing with images that were actually important in hindsight, like Tarakudo's whole arc. Tarakudo was the same design that Jade tattooed on her leg in one episode to accidentally become queen of the Shadow Khan, and of course in a later season the demon himself shows up and it's like "OH, she was tapping into this guys power that day. Neat" A lot of it was probably on the fly, but that it at least felt foreshadowed helped. Apparently the final season was kind of a mess, but that's probably why I don't remember it. I still remember some of the demon's names this far apart from seeing it too, like Po Kong the mountain demon and Hsi Wu the sky demon (Shendu goes without saying though)

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Aug 28, 2022

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I know its alittle off topic.

But why did ATT fight for years to buy warner media? I remember it was ATT wanted to have a content library for its own streaming service (sorta like what disney did to fox) Then ATT learned they dont know how to run a media company so now they sold it to discovery?

I remember Ted Turner in the late 1980's bought MGM in bankruptcy took their catalog of films spooled up the studio and then sold it. hell I thought cartoon network was created because turner media had the Hannah Barbara library etc.

Has the streaming landscape just turned to poo poo?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Ups_rail posted:

Has the streaming landscape just turned to poo poo?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess Turner was more interested in revitalizing and repurposing Hannah-Barbera because it was company founded for and experienced with making television animation, which was a mainstay of TV, while MGM had its big library (which it had also spent its time buying up and katamari-ing others' content and distribution rights into their library), but the actual making-movies part would be a distraction from the intent to make more TV content.

ATT apparently was going through its own cost-cutting, and I guess they just put the newest acquisition on the chopping block.

Streaming has always been a fairly small pond with only a few players, it's just now that some people have shifted entirely to streaming services for their entertainment, that's really enhancing the visibility of the problems.