Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bedurndurn posted:

It had been like 3 hours. I tried the old 'turn it off and back on' thing and it stayed like that. Meta support says I now have to leave it running until it runs out of power, charge it while off 4 hours and then maybe it'll work?

They're basically trying to force a cold start on it to see if it'll clear the hanging state it got itself into. It's the Big Boy off and on again, basically, and if a device won't at least boot from a cold start it's really pooched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Turin Turambar posted:

I created an account using my fb account as base login and now I can't login on my profile and the mobile app says I need a newer version ( which isn't available) so maybe wait a few days...

edit: ok it works now

I have an old CV1. I migrated my old Oculus account - never jumped to a Facebook account when that was a thing - and the desktop app doesn't let me use a Meta account (yet, hopefully). I reinstalled the software and am still get a "you're using an outdated version of the Oculus software" error. I get Facebook doesn't give a poo poo about desktop VR anymore, but lol.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Boxman posted:

I have an old CV1. I migrated my old Oculus account - never jumped to a Facebook account when that was a thing - and the desktop app doesn't let me use a Meta account (yet, hopefully). I reinstalled the software and am still get a "you're using an outdated version of the Oculus software" error. I get Facebook doesn't give a poo poo about desktop VR anymore, but lol.

My splash/login page showed as this, which is new:

Was the same for you?

---- new video of S&S 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc-v6vRnKw4

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Nah, still just login with oculus/facebook. I'll wait a few hours and try reinstalling, I'm sure its just some or other pointer on some or other server not propagating right.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

This is my version number, you can check if it's the same

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Not even any options to check a version number. The installer I used is from this page, which seems all Meta'ed up.

EDIT: After consulting reddit, I had luck switching the language on that screen to various forms of English until I found one with the updated login screen (thanks, kiwis). I'm guessing the problem is that the login screen is actually just a web view and I was somehow getting an older version of the page. Complete nonsense.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 24, 2022

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm playing the SW Tales of the Galaxy's Edge game, which isn't great but it's decent, but one of the extra bonus 'tales' was pretty drat bad. You are a bounty hunter robot, IG-88, and basically play a level that is 100% action. Ok. But the action is notably worse than the action in the normal game, so what's the point?? Do you know how the thing with VR is to aim and fire with your arms and hands? Well surprise, here you just aim generally in the enemy direction with floating cursors and the robot arms automatically aim to the target. Congrats, you have made the firearms more boring in your combat-focused extra level. Who, who thought that was a good idea.
Not only that, unlike in the normal game you have infinite ammo and you can't switch or swap weapons or use grenades, so it's even more boring, and more brainless too as instead of stickpacks you have health regen.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Apropos of nothing, I fired up duck season for the first time in almost exactly a year and that shotgun is still real fun.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Headset update:

Yeah it's hosed and they're going to have me ship it back to them.

VR was a fun experience for the ~5 minutes I used the setup menu to connect it to my wifi. It was super trippy to just have a weird fake world with some controllers in it that were actually there and able to be touched.

I hope to at least double my VR time next headset!

I think I also understand how that other dude got like 3 or 4 'new' headsets that all had signs of being used before. I didn't really do anything to gently caress this one up (though I might've eventually made it worse a few hours in), so I can't possibly be the only one shipping back a very gently used headset.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
My Oculus account changeover seemed to be relatively painless.
I went to https://meta.com/websetup first and did the stuff there.
And when I turned it on it just had me open a browser page and type some numbers.
Maybe I had waited long enough for the problems to be fixed.

Fanatical has another bundle, but likely full of games you already have as most Fanatical bundles are.
https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/best-of-vr-build-your-own-bundle

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/nya_vr_/status/1562538652777185280

People had been asking for this since ages ago (3d screenshots or videos, instead of 2d stuff in the store)

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

OgNar posted:

Fanatical has another bundle, but likely full of games you already have as most Fanatical bundles are.
https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/best-of-vr-build-your-own-bundle

Are there ever offers like this for the Oculus store? Steam stuff I have covered, but it'd be nice to get some more games that aren't streaming from my PC.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

it dont matter posted:

Are there ever offers like this for the Oculus store? Steam stuff I have covered, but it'd be nice to get some more games that aren't streaming from my PC.

They do have sales that only last a few days.
Someone posted this link before that I find helpful.
https://vrdb.app/quest/deals/deals_us.html

Also this one is kinda like Dekudeals for Switch where you can mark a game and it will email you.
Not sure how well it works though.
https://odeals.net/platform/quest

e: drat, I've never even noticed that Steam link in the right hand side of VRDB.
it just became more useful

OgNar fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Aug 25, 2022

koren
Sep 7, 2003

The link application on my PC and my phone app have updated for the new meta logins and yet there are still no updates available for my quest 2 headset. This has locked me out of using PCVR via link until the rollout reaches me and I can complete the migration process. It won't let me do anything on the headset when connected, it just tells me to go to my computer to finish the setup process. The setup process then tells me that my headset is out of date and I should not proceed. How charming.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I'm stuck trying to make a Meta account. Login with Facebook, then it asks me to create a new password with Meta and says its sending a confirmation code to my email. Except this code never turns up. Anyone else encountered this?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Rebuff Reality's currently got a sale going on their webstore, VR Ears are a whopping 50% off, as are the regular non-battery TrackStrap bundle.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

it dont matter posted:

I'm stuck trying to make a Meta account. Login with Facebook, then it asks me to create a new password with Meta and says its sending a confirmation code to my email. Except this code never turns up. Anyone else encountered this?

If you have an old gmail account from the beta days you might have trash and junk folders, probably not, but it was a problem I had once that I never knew I had until I tried to recover my stupid rockstar account and it kept sending everything to "trash"

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

runaway dog posted:

If you have an old gmail account from the beta days you might have trash and junk folders, probably not, but it was a problem I had once that I never knew I had until I tried to recover my stupid rockstar account and it kept sending everything to "trash"

Don't use Gmail. It's def not ending up in my spam folder. It's just not coming through. Guess I'm gonna have to speak to support.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Cambria is coming in October:
https://www.roadtovr.com/joe-rogan-meta-quest-pro-release-date/

:toot:

I'm excited to finally play with the AR features and HD color passthrough.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

TIP posted:

Cambria is coming in October:
https://www.roadtovr.com/joe-rogan-meta-quest-pro-release-date/

:toot:

I'm excited to finally play with the AR features and HD color passthrough.

Just imagine if they gave you access to the actual image data from the passthrough.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Rectus posted:

Just imagine if they gave you access to the actual image data from the passthrough.

I don't know that I want developers to have access to that, access to the depth and 3d reconstruction geometry would be cool though.

I can think of lots of fun stuff to do with just the 3d data, I'd love to add an AR mode to shoving simulator that allows you to shove fake people in real environments.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

TIP posted:

I don't know that I want developers to have access to that, access to the depth and 3d reconstruction geometry would be cool though.

I can think of lots of fun stuff to do with just the 3d data, I'd love to add an AR mode to shoving simulator that allows you to shove fake people in real environments.

But think of the refraction!

https://twitter.com/rectus_sa/status/1445302471170183170

(Also being able to do stuff like machine vision, and accessing the passthrough directly in the base pass.)

But yeah, having access to the 3D data would be so cool.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

“Significantly higher than $800”

Yikes

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Give headset that can be used as monitor replacement please

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I hope we can just get the self tracking remotes and use them with the Q2

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Can’t wait until someone makes a vr game!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Nuts and Gum posted:

Can’t wait until someone makes a vr game!

60% chance of it being a wave shooter.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

He never actually said Cambria so I believe it will just be a Quest 2 with a new hat to go with it.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Lemming posted:

Give headset that can be used as monitor replacement please

I think we’ll have to wait until Apple shows up before we get this.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

ephori posted:

I think we’ll have to wait until Apple shows up before we get this.

The quest 2 is pretty dang close, imo. Res is pretty much good enough, but it's not clear enough edge to edge and it's not comfortable enough (interestingly, the Rift definitely was. Just need to get something that comfortable or better)

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

The quest 2 is pretty dang close, imo. Res is pretty much good enough, but it's not clear enough edge to edge and it's not comfortable enough (interestingly, the Rift definitely was. Just need to get something that comfortable or better)

Crazy how the CV1 is still the most "comfy" long term headset, at least IMO. Yeah the index is "comfy" but its not 8+ Hours comfy. CV1 was light, felt balanced, and yeah sure the strap could have been better but it was great either way. It never dug into my head, loved it. Slap a VRcover interface on it with some generic made for Vive pads. Comfort overload!

No other headset has been that good for that one thing.

Plus, the controllers. I'll always be a slut for CV1 touch.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The CV1 would've been perfect if not for the low-res, screen door lenses and those crappy little sensors. I mean the Index relies on lightboxes but at least they're accurate and track well, and they don't take up USB ports.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Lemming posted:

Yep, that plus a slight screen quality upgrade and a 110-120 degree fov and it’s Good Enough.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

EbolaIvory posted:

Crazy how the CV1 is still the most "comfy" long term headset, at least IMO. Yeah the index is "comfy" but its not 8+ Hours comfy. CV1 was light, felt balanced, and yeah sure the strap could have been better but it was great either way. It never dug into my head, loved it. Slap a VRcover interface on it with some generic made for Vive pads. Comfort overload!

No other headset has been that good for that one thing.

Plus, the controllers. I'll always be a slut for CV1 touch.

I like my rift S, it feels like an empty plastic shell, barely any weight on my neck.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I hope meta supports the CV1 forever because it is, minus the resolution, still a really good headset.

Hopefully once they drop it, the homebrew scene finds a way to make it work.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
my rift S is more comfortable than the cv1 and that with it's slightly better screen is pretty much all it has going for it.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

After some slight reshuffling i finally managed to increase the space I have got playing with VR and can finally move around a bit without crashing over houseplants and the like. Eleven table tennis with enough space to actually bend over or take a step back is amazing! It's uncanny how well it works, i played a lot of TT at my last job and it's all immediately coming back. The weight of the oculus controller is almost exactly that of a panel, it's great. Highly recommend, especially since it's on sale for 10 bux sometimes!

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

King Vidiot posted:

The CV1 would've been perfect if not for the low-res, screen door lenses and those crappy little sensors. I mean the Index relies on lightboxes but at least they're accurate and track well, and they don't take up USB ports.

Sensors were fine for me tbh. I ran 4, I had dedicated USB cards for em. So really it was as good as my index is now.

If I could magically up the resolution, i'd be using my CV1 still. Its the only thing keeping it in a bin.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Zuck was on Rogan said new quest in October

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Wishful thinking? He did not specify a headset name but said it would cost significantly more than $800, so you can drat well guarantee it won't be a new Quest