Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Not exactly the same but sounds like a kissin' cousin to the True Detective s1 theme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Opopanax posted:

Almost feels like a cross between Something in the Way and the Doctor Who theme

E: no wait, Doom Patrol!

Totally reminds me of Doom Patrol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c399HPb01s

Dark vibes too

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ape Agitator posted:

The theme song for "The Terminal List" immediately reminded me of some other TV series theme song that I thought "oh, that sounds like...." and then froze.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo_gj7Z2vAA

Any thoughts? Feels like it would have been a series from the last 10 years and I'm likely to kick myself when someone tells me.

The Netflix Daredevil show has a similar opening riff.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Opopanax posted:

Almost feels like a cross between Something in the Way and the Doctor Who theme

E: no wait, Doom Patrol!

Timby posted:

The Netflix Daredevil show has a similar opening riff.

Definitely has lyrics so neither but I hadn't started Doom Patrol and that's an intriguing intro! I think the key things evoking this are the relatively muted vocals and perhaps piano as a key instrument.

Edit: I *think* I've found it - Mars intro theme. It doesn't quite feel like the slam dunk I was thinking but it's evocative. Still could be another moderately recent TV intro song out there that is more right but this is could be the one I'm thinking of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vAUk6sYcYY

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Aug 13, 2022

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Maybe the theme from Dark? (Goodbye by Apparat)

(e: oops, sorry, didn't spot that it had already been mentioned)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c399HPb01s

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I remember an old animation I saw some decades ago. It was, I think, a segment of a larger film or perhaps a short of some kind, that told the legend of a monster that I think was native american or aboriginal in origin, but I'll be damned if I remember the details. I think the story was being told to some children, and there were accompanying animated drawings on a cave wall. Might have been the wendigo, but maybe I'm confusing that with some other non-english monster name. I remember it being quite creepy as a child.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Morpheus posted:

I remember an old animation I saw some decades ago. It was, I think, a segment of a larger film or perhaps a short of some kind, that told the legend of a monster that I think was native american or aboriginal in origin, but I'll be damned if I remember the details. I think the story was being told to some children, and there were accompanying animated drawings on a cave wall. Might have been the wendigo, but maybe I'm confusing that with some other non-english monster name. I remember it being quite creepy as a child.

You don't mean the one about a Bunyip that scarred the poo poo out of me as a kid, do you?

Lots of shots of a dark, wet cave wall and weird semi-abstract monster drawings?

I googled it ages ago and it's nominally called Dot and the Kangaroo (1977), but I was young enough that anything besides the spooky feeling didn't get fully logged in my memory and I couldn't corroborate it with extra details.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

You don't mean the one about a Bunyip that scarred the poo poo out of me as a kid, do you?

Lots of shots of a dark, wet cave wall and weird semi-abstract monster drawings?

I googled it ages ago and it's nominally called Dot and the Kangaroo (1977), but I was young enough that anything besides the spooky feeling didn't get fully logged in my memory and I couldn't corroborate it with extra details.

Yeah thats definitely it - and I'm the exact same way, that's literally the only part of the movie that I remember. But seeing that scene where the kangaroo is describing the bunyip to her definitely brings back memories

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 15, 2022

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
That cartoon scared the utter poo poo out of me.
Goes from a pretty decent good animated cartoon to LSD slenderman nightmare.

Here is it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTg3wV3DnGY&t=2216s

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Can't recall if this is a movie or a tv show so sorry if wrong place.

Student wants to fail out of class. Get's back a 50 question True/False test with a 0. Teacher says something like, "If you had just guessed randomly you'd still have gotten 50% right, the only way to get a 0 is to know all the answers and choose not to answer correctly" and then changes the 0 to 100.

Driving me crazy because I know I've seen it in the last 2 months and can't for the life of me think what it is.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Hughlander posted:

Student wants to fail out of class. Get's back a 50 question True/False test with a 0. Teacher says something like, "If you had just guessed randomly you'd still have gotten 50% right, the only way to get a 0 is to know all the answers and choose not to answer correctly" and then changes the 0 to 100.

Driving me crazy because I know I've seen it in the last 2 months and can't for the life of me think what it is.

That’s Into the Spider-Verse for one, but it’s a whole trope.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Hughlander posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HQRjbhGlLI

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Yep. Into the Spiderverse was the one

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
This is something I've seen within the last few years, and I can remember the weird emotional impact very clearly but very little else. Person A (not sure if man or woman) calls Person B (mostly sure it was a woman) into the room and tells her to explain an incident in detail, that Person B had an active role in. I think the incident was adultery, but possibly some other type of betrayal. Person B dutifully recites exactly how the incident went down. Person A is not satisfied, and tells her to do it again. She does. Person B seems to feel guilty or some other emotion that drives her to comply with Person A's demand without any resistance and keeps telling them exactly what happened.

This is driving me insane.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Westworld has a lot of scenes like that between Rachel Evan Wood and Jeffrey Wright

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

morestuff posted:

Westworld has a lot of scenes like that between Rachel Evan Wood and Jeffrey Wright

I did see parts of season 1 so this could definitely be it, thank you.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Animation piece with a short little man in blue and white striped pajamas (possibly with a bushy mustache?) traveling up or down a long staircase with a candle. I think he’s mostly scaring himself as he imagines what might be in the shadows. Drawn in that sort of rough, scratchy but friendly style that screams 1970s (kind of like Muzzy, for reference).

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Was it definitely a man? I feel like Scrooge Mcduck would have definitely been in scenarios like that

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

artsy fartsy posted:

This is something I've seen within the last few years, and I can remember the weird emotional impact very clearly but very little else. Person A (not sure if man or woman) calls Person B (mostly sure it was a woman) into the room and tells her to explain an incident in detail, that Person B had an active role in. I think the incident was adultery, but possibly some other type of betrayal. Person B dutifully recites exactly how the incident went down. Person A is not satisfied, and tells her to do it again. She does. Person B seems to feel guilty or some other emotion that drives her to comply with Person A's demand without any resistance and keeps telling them exactly what happened.

This happened in an episode of Better Call Saul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5osSNZ1jyk

Edit: Found a better clip.

SolarFire2 fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Aug 18, 2022

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Darthemed posted:

Animation piece with a short little man in blue and white striped pajamas (possibly with a bushy mustache?) traveling up or down a long staircase with a candle. I think he’s mostly scaring himself as he imagines what might be in the shadows. Drawn in that sort of rough, scratchy but friendly style that screams 1970s (kind of like Muzzy, for reference).

I think I know what you mean, but its more 1920s/30s in my mind. Betty Boop style wavyness to it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

artsy fartsy posted:

In Community there's a professor whose teaching style is...eccentric. He tells everyone to seize the day by living life to the fullest which is at odds with his subject (accounting). Jeff, one of the main characters thinks this is the ultimate blowoff class and tells his study group they can probably flake through it

Professor asks one of the other main characters, Shirley, why she's at Greendale CC and it starts pleasantly enough. But then he gets more adversarial and demands to know why she's REALLY there. She's rattled but speaks honestly and admits she wasted her life on her ex (he cheated but it's not stated in that moment)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcqNuThhUKQ

probably not that but whatever, excuse to watch Community

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
saw like a 2-second clip out of context, what movie has a youngish Keanu Reeves having a dramatic conversation with another man on a rainy beach? Pretty sure it wasn't Point Break

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

VROOM VROOM posted:

saw like a 2-second clip out of context, what movie has a youngish Keanu Reeves having a dramatic conversation with another man on a rainy beach? Pretty sure it wasn't Point Break

Really sure it wasn't Point Break? This is all I can find with Keanu on a beach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTGG5XNu4LE

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I think both River’s Edge and Permanent Record have Keanu and bodies of water and precipitation, but I’d absolutely say Point Break based on the initial description.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Yeah, sounds like River’s Edge to me

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

The year is 1994. The Northridge quake has just happened. My mom and several others were injured and had to be taken to the hospital, and both my and my neighbors houses were heavily damaged.

After making sure all the kids were alright, the adults sat us in front of a TV so they could begim cleaning up all the shattered glass from the sliding doors and other items that were flung from the walls, not to mention the blood. They just flipped on the TV and left to start helping get people to the hospital without checking what was on.

It was a horrific gritty thriller of a movie with a lot of "real" feelingviolence, of the gang or cartel variety. Could even have been a civil war maybe? I don't know where it took place, but the American southwest, Mexico, Columbia, could be any of these regions. I was 8, the specifics are unfortunately sparse. Anyway, the movies ancillary cast has a family that is two parents and a handful of kids, mainly a young teen daughter maybe about 14, and then three younger siblings.

The family was in perfect health for most of the movie that we see, but violence erupts in their neighborhood/house is a wreck, I remember smoldering and smoke. But the horrific part was some other main character returns to the home in ruin and the 14 year old daughter enters onscreen almost stumbling. She's bawling , and her cheeks have been sliced open with a knife starting from the edges of her mouth and continuing upwards at an angle. I think there was an implication of violent assault as well.

At this point I'm well beyond crying and beginning to lose my poo poo with a few others.

Anyway, near 30 years later and I'm wondering what this film could have been?

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
I have a confession y'all...it was Point Break

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
This morning I watched Alligator (1980), and there is a scene near the end where the main character is trying to climb out of a sewer before a bomb goes off, but a car is stopped on the street above with a tire directly on the manhole cover so he can’t escape.

I know I saw almost the exact same scenario in another film recently but I can’t remember what it was. Might not have been a bomb, perhaps they were being chased and shot at? Something like that. Definitely unable to get out because of a car parked on top of the manhole cover though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

gey muckle mowser posted:

This morning I watched Alligator (1980), and there is a scene near the end where the main character is trying to climb out of a sewer before a bomb goes off, but a car is stopped on the street above with a tire directly on the manhole cover so he can’t escape.

I know I saw almost the exact same scenario in another film recently but I can’t remember what it was. Might not have been a bomb, perhaps they were being chased and shot at? Something like that. Definitely unable to get out because of a car parked on top of the manhole cover though.

There's a scene with all those elements at the end of CHUD, although I don't remember if the car is specifically parked over the manhole cover to prevent escape.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

gey muckle mowser posted:

Pretty sure this happens in an episode of Kolchak The Night Stalker.

Alligator rules.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

I AM GRANDO posted:

There's a scene with all those elements at the end of CHUD, although I don't remember if the car is specifically parked over the manhole cover to prevent escape.

This might be it, but haven’t seen CHUD in a few years and I feel like I saw the scene I’m thinking of more recently than that. I’ll see if I can find that scene and see if it matches.

Sir Nose posted:

Pretty sure this happens in an episode of Kolchak The Night Stalker.

Alligator rules.

Probably not as I don’t think I’ve ever seen any of the Kolchak series, but it could definitely be from a TV show too.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Happens in the 1988 Blob too

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I was thinking 88 Blob too and they use a rocket to blow up the white van to escape which might feed into your bomb recollection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYKkkDAdFg4

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Ape Agitator posted:

I was thinking 88 Blob too and they use a rocket to blow up the white van to escape which might feed into your bomb recollection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYKkkDAdFg4

Yep, pretty sure this is what I was thinking of - thanks!

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017
Commenting to say I was thinking this was The Blob and then was very happy to see that it was!

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
The opening scene is a US family looking for a quarter in their yard with a metal detector. They find one and use it to run the coin-operated TV in their living room for a few minutes. Also, maybe someone works at Sizzler later in the movie? That's all I remember, probably 1990-1999

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

what's the crime-comedy movie about a guy in small-town texas who gets caught up between a cartel and a good ol' boy gangster while trying to return drug money that his idiot small-time criminal cousin unwittingly stole from a pizza delivery guy, while being chased by the killer of his father (who turns out to just want to ask for forgiveness and ends up with the gay best friend of the main character)

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

HookedOnChthonics posted:

what's the crime-comedy movie about a guy in small-town texas who gets caught up between a cartel and a good ol' boy gangster while trying to return drug money that his idiot small-time criminal cousin unwittingly stole from a pizza delivery guy, while being chased by the killer of his father (who turns out to just want to ask for forgiveness and ends up with the gay best friend of the main character)

This sounds like helluva ride.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

??? searching for that gives me a music album and a documentary about a trans fugitive...?

other details:

there's a Dewey Crowe-type minor antagonist who threatens to shoot the main character early on but the main character contemptuously talks his way out of it, then midway through makes good on the threat but is immediately run over in return, then gets toted around with the protagonists in full casts and crutches all the way to the finale shootout

there's a memorable scene where the idiot cousin, who had been strictly instructed not to spend any of the drug money, shows up in brand new extremely flashy cowboy boots and the main character angrily throws them off of a bridge

the good-ol-boy gangster (local politician maybe?) is introduced with a skeet-shooting scene where he kills the pizza delivery driver/drug courier who had the money stolen, telling him to run away in a zig-zag

the gay best friend character is a mechanic and his pristine classic car is the protagonist group's ride for the leadup to the climax; much hay is made of the minor antagonist struggling in and out of the backseat with his casts and crutches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

HookedOnChthonics posted:

??? searching for that gives me a music album and a documentary about a trans fugitive...?

other details:

there's a Dewey Crowe-type minor antagonist who threatens to shoot the main character early on but the main character contemptuously talks his way out of it, then midway through makes good on the threat but is immediately run over in return, then gets toted around with the protagonists in full casts and crutches all the way to the finale shootout

there's a memorable scene where the idiot cousin, who had been strictly instructed not to spend any of the drug money, shows up in brand new extremely flashy cowboy boots and the main character angrily throws them off of a bridge

the good-ol-boy gangster (local politician maybe?) is introduced with a skeet-shooting scene where he kills the pizza delivery driver/drug courier who had the money stolen, telling him to run away in a zig-zag

the gay best friend character is a mechanic and his pristine classic car is the protagonist group's ride for the leadup to the climax; much hay is made of the minor antagonist struggling in and out of the backseat with his casts and crutches

I have absolutely no idea, but if this is a really novel marketing strategy for your movie, it's loving working like a charm.

I wanna watch the absolute poo poo out of whatever this is.