Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

Why are Chelsea trying to spend £60m on Anthony Gordon while shipping out Hudson Odoi on loan

Search your heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/ProjectFootball/status/1562540131630055425?t=RLywR8W1--1RhL2szmPshQ&s=19

Eric Bailly died picked up a knee injury and was out for six weeks on the way back to his home planet

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
enjoying the neto/tielemans to Arsenal chat

https://twitter.com/sakanellifc/status/1562088367625486340?s=21&t=jbzjyfwOS-4CEyT9o8R6nA

https://twitter.com/ezrandez/status/1562011056008040448?s=21&t=jbzjyfwOS-4CEyT9o8R6nA

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Wrong thread

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
maybe, but i enjoy watching people boom irrationally

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I don’t even understand those memes.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

blue footed boobie posted:

First one seems to imply fiery failure the second...fireworks? Beyond that I've no idea nor an explanation for how either may be correct given the players involved.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

blue footed boobie posted:

you must surrender to the boom

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
The 2nd one is clearly that they're idiotic children

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Von Linus posted:

They definitely need the cover for Partey but I think they probably are afraid they can't get anyone as good, and want 'internal solutions' instead (and hope that he's not sent down).

They need someone to give Saka a break is the basic idea. He's played every game he's available for for ages.

When Arsenal gave ElNeny a new deal they dedicated themselves to the 3 6s this season being: #5, Sambi, ElNeny. Signing anyone else would mean 4 players for 1 position

Desperately need winger cover but now that Pepe is gone it should be easier

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Syncopated posted:

Newcastle are supposedly buying Alexander Isak from Real Sociedad for £60 million. Hope it goes through, would like to see how he does in the PL.

now idea what he's like but i'm sure he's incredible at that money

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
He is really good. I was watching him score vs barca last weekend (la liga is on itv4 now for some reason).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

UnderFreddy posted:

When Arsenal gave ElNeny a new deal they dedicated themselves to the 3 6s this season being: #5, Sambi, ElNeny. Signing anyone else would mean 4 players for 1 position

Desperately need winger cover but now that Pepe is gone it should be easier

I think we’re looking for Tielemans as an 8 not a 6, I think they’ve put Sambi there instead. But I think there’s at least some idea to try Vieira there if need be.

I think if there’s any more coming in it’s a wide player to take up the slot freed up by Pepe going on loan and give proper rotation there.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Jippa posted:

He is really good. I was watching him score vs barca last weekend (la liga is on itv4 now for some reason).

He should score goals as a forward imo just imo

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

He should score goals as a forward imo just imo

Pep hates this.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

I wonder if Neto to Arsenal is likely happening because Saka has yet to sign a new contract and Arsenal have got word that a bigger club is going to make a massive offer for him next season.

If Liverpool continue to do poorly I can easily see them thinking he'll be perfect on the opposite wing to Salah.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 25, 2022

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Saka and Salah "prefer" to play in the same spot as an inverted winger/forward so I don't know how that will work.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Shrapnig posted:

Saka and Salah "prefer" to play in the same spot as an inverted winger/forward so I don't know how that will work.

Well Salah plays on the right and Saka has often been deployed on the left even if he has flourished on the right so I think it could be pretty lethal honestly. I just hope it doesn't happen. Basically if Arsenal don't get 4th and champions League with 2 years left on his contract I can see his head being turned. If not by Liverpoo then someone else.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Just Chamber posted:

I wonder if Neto to Arsenal is likely happening because Saka has yet to sign a new contract and Arsenal have got word that a bigger club is going to make a massive offer for him next season.

If Liverpool continue to do poorly I can easily see them thinking he'll be perfect on the opposite wing to Salah.

Saka is pretty good but I don't think pacy winger is a high priority for Liverpool given their ancient and creaky central midfield

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
The Montenegrin Messi Sead Hakšabanović to Celtic from Rubin Kazan on a five year contract is a done deal

I know literally nothing about him but it means less game time for Mikey Johnson and the reanimated corpse of James Forrest so, good.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Saka will sign a new Arsenal deal I am pretty positive. He just wants that big payday and Arsenal are waiting to see how little they can convince him to take. He also hasn't done much this season so far, so a dip in form might work out well for them in contract talks.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
He could also be holding out until after the World Cup knowing that if you perform well on that stage everyone will be after you and he gets more leverage.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

sticksy posted:

Saka is pretty good but I don't think pacy winger is a high priority for Liverpool given their ancient and creaky central midfield

Also, not to mention... Arsenal are going to want like £70-80 for him if they can't come to a deal if they are forced to sell to a PL rival. English tax, and yeah selling to a rival. If they have to move him they will be wanting to sell to a big club abroad or they are going to want a really high fee.

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion
https://twitter.com/Besiktas/status/1562843848904265728?t=fRwl9ArsEf6nc2ZXk-XI3Q&s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
It's insane to me we're now buying 40m+ playerd

Looks like it'd happening though
https://twitter.com/SkySports_Keith/status/1562778438473502722?t=Y4VIQw--nQdu5gLRX-8rvA&s=19

Jose fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 25, 2022

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Lmao

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Just Chamber posted:

Well Salah plays on the right and Saka has often been deployed on the left even if he has flourished on the right so I think it could be pretty lethal honestly. I just hope it doesn't happen. Basically if Arsenal don't get 4th and champions League with 2 years left on his contract I can see his head being turned. If not by Liverpoo then someone else.

if liverpool's next two purchases are not midfielders i will lose my loving mind. seriously, here are the options in the squad rn:

elliot: best midfielder lately, also a child
jones: also a child, not that great, injured pretty commonly
carvalho: also a child, supposed to be a forward
henderson: has not been good for about 18 months, cannot play 90 minutes twice in 7 days anymore
fabinho: has not been good for about 6 months, one of the few i actually have faith in to be good going forward though
thiago: injured literally 60% of matches
milner: 600 years old
keita: injured literally 75% of matches

its genuinely insane that they're seemingly refusing to address this in the hopes of a superstar bid for jude bellingham who will inevitably go to city/madrid anyway

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Not to get all code-taggy but I do wonder if/when Klopp changes formation as an alternative away from his beloved 4-3-3 that has served him and the team so well.

He did play a bit of 4-2-3-1 when Shaq was still there, I just don't know how else to balance the team when the midfielders you have are either very attacking oriented or don't have the legs to press and cover the fullbacks as they need to currently.

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006
What is the functional difference between a 4231 and a 433? Are you just telling another one of the 3 to stay further back while other one doesn't? How does that work with the heavy pressing, do you just wait for the ball to come deeper into your end of the pitch?

From my understanding the whole point of gegenpressing is that you're relying on turning the ball over high up the pitch and then attacking as quickly as possible after a turnover, thus reducing the reliance on a midfield playmaker to generate scoring chances. The thing is, if you want to be a club that can beat anyone, you kind of need that playmaker anyways, because your opponents can just let you have the ball for a lot of the match and press the poo poo out of you instead. If you want to counter this strategy you need to be able to make something out of possession as well. All this to say that they probably need another player who can do what Thiago does and then make sure they don't both get injured at the same time.

It's weird they haven't been in for Frenkie De Jong. Maybe his wages are too high for them to consider it.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

T Bowl posted:

Also, not to mention... Arsenal are going to want like £70-80 for him if they can't come to a deal if they are forced to sell to a PL rival. English tax, and yeah selling to a rival. If they have to move him they will be wanting to sell to a big club abroad or they are going to want a really high fee.

Arsenal also have leverage in that he has been there since he was like 8 with people like ESR so is very settled. I don't think he will be desperate to move yet, especially with the team playing well. Maybe a season or two of no trophies/UCL he will get itchy feet but he'll be more mentally plugged in to the long term success of the club than most.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

jettisonedstuff posted:

It's weird they haven't been in for Frenkie De Jong. Maybe his wages are too high for them to consider it.

His wages are, allegedly, quite a bit higher than Salah's new mega contract

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

tbp posted:

if liverpool's next two purchases are not midfielders i will lose my loving mind. seriously, here are the options in the squad rn:

elliot: best midfielder lately, also a child
jones: also a child, not that great, injured pretty commonly
carvalho: also a child, supposed to be a forward
henderson: has not been good for about 18 months, cannot play 90 minutes twice in 7 days anymore
fabinho: has not been good for about 6 months, one of the few i actually have faith in to be good going forward though
thiago: injured literally 60% of matches
milner: 600 years old
keita: injured literally 75% of matches

its genuinely insane that they're seemingly refusing to address this in the hopes of a superstar bid for jude bellingham who will inevitably go to city/madrid anyway

you forgot ox, who's injured for 100% of matches

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Speaking of improving midfields, West Ham look to be finalizing a deal for Lucas Paqueta. Good bit of business seeing as Souceks form has died and there doesn’t seem to be much creativity atm

https://twitter.com/talksport/status/1563085834232143873?s=21&t=WEm6BX30Hausp_q4d5GhMQ

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

jettisonedstuff posted:

What is the functional difference between a 4231 and a 433? Are you just telling another one of the 3 to stay further back while other one doesn't? How does that work with the heavy pressing, do you just wait for the ball to come deeper into your end of the pitch?

From my understanding the whole point of gegenpressing is that you're relying on turning the ball over high up the pitch and then attacking as quickly as possible after a turnover, thus reducing the reliance on a midfield playmaker to generate scoring chances. The thing is, if you want to be a club that can beat anyone, you kind of need that playmaker anyways, because your opponents can just let you have the ball for a lot of the match and press the poo poo out of you instead. If you want to counter this strategy you need to be able to make something out of possession as well. All this to say that they probably need another player who can do what Thiago does and then make sure they don't both get injured at the same time.

A 4231 separates the midfield into a deeper lying double pivot and a higher positioned 10, the idea being you provide more cover for your defence while having more options on the counter attack from your own third. Normally a 4-3-3 inverts this with maybe just one deeper lying midfielder as cover/playmaker. A 4-3-3 in Klopp's setup has a more functional midfield and plays higher up the pitch, pressing from the front. A Klopp midfield's chief job is to cover and recover, with creativity coming from the full backs and front three. While there's not much glamour in a typical Klopp midfield (The addition of Thiago not withstanding), it's quite vital in sustaining the press and pace associated with Liverpool's style of play. If the midfield hasn't got the energy/legs to do its job, the rest of the system falls apart due to defensive gaps and attackers being isolated.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Speaking of improving midfields, West Ham look to be finalizing a deal for Lucas Paqueta. Good bit of business seeing as Souceks form has died and there doesn’t seem to be much creativity atm

https://twitter.com/talksport/status/1563085834232143873?s=21&t=WEm6BX30Hausp_q4d5GhMQ
did soucek get long covid or something because he's been 2 yards off the pace for a couple of years now

this looks like a good signing

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

jettisonedstuff posted:

I've heard some rumblings that they are, although not from anyone particularly credible

It'd be the same issue as killed the United deal, though - realistically you'd have to pay £80m + £20m to cover the wages that Barca didn't pay, and then £20m a season for the wages that Barca did pay

and for that money, you could get a world-beater like Phillipe Coutinho or Ousmane Dembele

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

still lolling every day that once you cross out PSG bullshit, and despite all of the clown prices this summer, Aston Villa still have the most expensive footballer in the history of the sport

(followed by Joao Felix, Griezmann, Grealish, Lukaku > Chels, Dembele, Pogba, Hazard > Madrid, Ron > Juve, and Bale)

ten bad players

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

A 4231 separates the midfield into a deeper lying double pivot and a higher positioned 10, the idea being you provide more cover for your defence while having more options on the counter attack from your own third. Normally a 4-3-3 inverts this with maybe just one deeper lying midfielder as cover/playmaker. A 4-3-3 in Klopp's setup has a more functional midfield and plays higher up the pitch, pressing from the front. A Klopp midfield's chief job is to cover and recover, with creativity coming from the full backs and front three. While there's not much glamour in a typical Klopp midfield (The addition of Thiago not withstanding), it's quite vital in sustaining the press and pace associated with Liverpool's style of play. If the midfield hasn't got the energy/legs to do its job, the rest of the system falls apart due to defensive gaps and attackers being isolated.

A good post. When our Klopp midfield has worked in recent years, it was usually with one dedicated defensive midfielder sitting in front of the back four, playing almost like a centre back in a back three at times, which let both fullbacks get forward to help with the attack (and even sometimes lets centre backs like Matip go up to help out) and which facilitated playing out from the back. Fabinho has been the best at this, but Thiago has also been good at it when not injured. The other two midfielders usually play more like box to box roles with high-energy pressing and linking up with the front three and the fullbacks.

With Fabinho not playing and Thiago injured, that deep-lying role has fallen to Henderson typically, and he's okay at it but he's not as sprightly as he used to be and he's inclined to play further up the pitch which means sometimes there's just a hole where that midfielder should be. These gaps were really apparent against Man U. Without a midfielder linking up with the defence, we had Gomez and Van Dijk just passing the ball back and forth under pressure and not getting it up the pitch, and once the ball did make it into midfield it was often going to Milner, who's too slow to bring the required energy to the box to box role, or to Elliott, who's eager and energetic but who plays like a winger and lacks the skill to execute the press, which meant we got completely overloaded in midfield. With the midfield overloaded there's a lot more pressure on the defence which leads to careless mistakes and dumb goals, and with the midfielders themselves lacking a step on offence it means the attacking play is often a few inches away from where it needs to be and the moves don't link together the way they need to to score goals.

Thiago/Henderson/Fabinho has been a good midfield when they're all fit, which isn't always, and Wijnaldum/Henderson/Fabinho was a phenomenal midfield because Wijnaldum and Henderson a few years ago had the limitless energy to play the box to box roles and at the time Fabinho was in such good form that he was in contention for the best defensive midfielder in the world, which I would not say is the case today.

Basically all to just agree with tbp that if Liverpool aren't prioritizing midfield signings who will bring back the kind of pressure and energy that Kloppball needs then I'll be frustrated.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

vyelkin posted:

A good post. When our Klopp midfield has worked in recent years, it was usually with one dedicated defensive midfielder sitting in front of the back four, playing almost like a centre back in a back three at times, which let both fullbacks get forward to help with the attack (and even sometimes lets centre backs like Matip go up to help out) and which facilitated playing out from the back. Fabinho has been the best at this, but Thiago has also been good at it when not injured. The other two midfielders usually play more like box to box roles with high-energy pressing and linking up with the front three and the fullbacks.

With Fabinho not playing and Thiago injured, that deep-lying role has fallen to Henderson typically, and he's okay at it but he's not as sprightly as he used to be and he's inclined to play further up the pitch which means sometimes there's just a hole where that midfielder should be. These gaps were really apparent against Man U. Without a midfielder linking up with the defence, we had Gomez and Van Dijk just passing the ball back and forth under pressure and not getting it up the pitch, and once the ball did make it into midfield it was often going to Milner, who's too slow to bring the required energy to the box to box role, or to Elliott, who's eager and energetic but who plays like a winger and lacks the skill to execute the press, which meant we got completely overloaded in midfield. With the midfield overloaded there's a lot more pressure on the defence which leads to careless mistakes and dumb goals, and with the midfielders themselves lacking a step on offence it means the attacking play is often a few inches away from where it needs to be and the moves don't link together the way they need to to score goals.

Thiago/Henderson/Fabinho has been a good midfield when they're all fit, which isn't always, and Wijnaldum/Henderson/Fabinho was a phenomenal midfield because Wijnaldum and Henderson a few years ago had the limitless energy to play the box to box roles and at the time Fabinho was in such good form that he was in contention for the best defensive midfielder in the world, which I would not say is the case today.

Basically all to just agree with tbp that if Liverpool aren't prioritizing midfield signings who will bring back the kind of pressure and energy that Kloppball needs then I'll be frustrated.

Exacerbated by the already implemented tweak to the system to accommodate Thiago, who receives the ball deeper than Gini/Henderson used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
Paqueta would have been perfect to improve Liverpool's midfield imho. huge workrate, good finisher, great at keeping the ball under pressure.